Are the Shoshone op?

GetPlunderedSon

Chieftain
Seems like if you can get enough of an advantage off ruins bonus you can seriously get ahead. Just a really strong civ with UA also. I snowballed a game I was playing on continents to where I was almost in medieval era in like 830 BC

There are more powerful Civs than the Shoshone but very few where you can tell you're going to win the game so early. If you pop enough huts you've essentially won the game, it seems to me. Isabella is similar: If you start near two two natural wonders the other Civs might as well go home. Near to one wonder and you've probably got it. No wonders and you're hurting.

So it's not that they are overpowered, it's that their best period is the very beginning of the game so you know if you've pulled an advantage with them almost instantly.

They have a huge advantage in the early game but, in my experience, are no better than anyone else later on.

I know how that sounds since a big jump early makes a big difference. But it isn't like you can keep grabbing free techs, culture, religion, whatever, with every hut. There is a balance there.

Against the AI they can be OP. Indeed they offer you the I win button early. A few hats and you are snowballing in no time. Isabella is a completely different beast though. She doesn't have a choice on her NWs and is bound not to find a single one. The native Americans on the other hand, I hardly play any games where I don't pop at least 4 ruins.

I'm not sure about OP. They don't explicitly excel at anything later on and are all about early advantages that can help them snowball. They'd be the #1 civ I'd recommend to a new player. Their huge initial city borders don't increase the culture costs of border growth and the turn 0 pathfinder encourages exploration. The combat buff in friendly territory also means that a surpise DoW isn't nearly as deadly to someone just learning the game.

I am still in my first game on Immortal and trying out everything with the Shoshones. This lack of focus is not efficient (and against my way of playing) but at least I am learning the effects and decision-making that goes with all of the new mechanics and changes. I do love the extra land and that really helped me claim most of the sweet spots against an expansionist neighbor. That gave me the gold to fund city-states (and diplomats) and lead the WC, an unfortunate side-effect of being able to easily get and maintain DoF. A good player can take most civs to any victory on Immortal but Shoshone does give you a nice head start, esp. with multiple techs and culture, plus pops coming from early ruins.

Top Bottom