Ashes of Erebus Civilopedia Update Project

As somebody who hasn't played many of the civilizations, I base the Civilopedia on who to pick next.

The Austrins look incredibly boring if you just look at their Civilopedia page. Their migration special project is not mentioned, nor are several other features that are unique to them (Air II allowing them to summon a pegasus [who can then be mounted], master outfitter providing with them with Windstones, etc.). I think these kinds of things, or even semi-unique things shared by only some civs (such as doubletime from Master Siege only being available to Khazad, Mechanos, Austrin, and Hippus), are worth mentioning in the strategy section of each civilization.

I could make that Austrin Pedia entry if it would be helpful; though I'm terrible at actual strategy, so I wouldn't be able to go beyond just saying what is unique to them.

As somebody who hasn't played many of the civilizations, I base the Civilopedia on who to pick next.

The Austrins look incredibly boring if you just look at their Civilopedia page. Their migration special project is not mentioned, nor are several other features that are unique to them (Air II allowing them to summon a pegasus [who can then be mounted], master outfitter providing with them with Windstones, etc.). I think these kinds of things, or even semi-unique things shared by only some civs (such as doubletime from Master Siege only being available to Khazad, Mechanos, Austrin, and Hippus), are worth mentioning in the strategy section of each civilization.

I could make that Austrin Pedia entry if it would be helpful; though I'm terrible at actual strategy, so I wouldn't be able to go beyond just saying what is unique to them.
Please do. We need all the help we can get.

Doubt I should just use the SVN commit option, so I'll just paste my text in here.

CIV4GameText_Civ_Austrin:
Code:
    <TEXT>
        <Tag>TXT_KEY_CIV_AUSTRIN_STRATEGY</Tag>
        <English>The Austrin excel at exploration, and have several unique features to assist in that endeavor. Several of their unique units are scouts with added mobility, who are more likely to get better results from lairs. They also have access to several unique features:[PARAGRAPH:1][NEWLINE][ICON_BULLET][LINK=PROJECT_PREPARE_EXPEDITION]Prepare Expedition[\LINK] - A special ritual that allows recon units to found cities. [LINK=SPELL_AUSTRIN_REMOTE_FOUND]Found Settlement[\LINK] does not consume the recon unit, and may be used if the unit has no movement left. For each time this ability is used, you will need to build the Prepare Expedition ritual again.[NEWLINE][ICON_BULLET][LINK=SPELL_SUMMON_PEGASUS]Summon Pegasus[\LINK] - At Air II, Austrins can summon a permanent [LINK=UNIT_PEGASUS]pegasus[\LINK]. This allows them easy access to [LINK=BUILDING_GRIFFON_WEYR]Flying Mounts Stable[\LINK]. Further, melee, archery, and arcane units may then mount the pegasus to gain the [LINK=PROMOTION_PEGASUS_RIDER_AUSTRIN]Pegasus Rider[\LINK] promotion. It's worth noting that created Flying Mounts Stable will allow the same mage to recast Summon Pegasus, but mounting the pegasus will not. So you may want to create a Flying Mounts Stable in each prior to mounting a pegasus.[NEWLINE][ICON_BULLET][LINK=SPELL_ASSEMBLE_SHOREPARTY]Assemble Shoreparty[\LINK] - Austrin naval units may use assemble shoreparty if the naval unit is on a land tile, such as in a city you own or in a city of a player that you have open borders with. This creates a [LINK=UNIT_SHOREPARTY]Shore Party[\LINK] unit, which, as a recon unit, can use [LINK=SPELL_AUSTRIN_REMOTE_FOUND]Found Settlement[\LINK].[NEWLINE][ICON_BULLET][LINK=SPELL_TRAVEL_LIGHT]Travel Light[\LINK] - Grants [LINK=PROMOTION_LIGHT]Light[\LINK] promotion to a melee unit. This allows them to move more quickly, at the cost of lowered strength. A melee unit may then [LINK=SPELL_REEQUIP]Re-Equip[\LINK], although this takes up the remainder of the unit's movement.[NEWLINE][ICON_BULLET][LINK=PROMOTION_WINDSTONES_RECON]Windstones[\LINK] - An item for recon units available through the [LINK=BUILDING_MASTER_OUTFITTER]Master Outfitter[\LINK] building. It allows recon units to engage in ranged combat.[NEWLINE][ICON_BULLET][LINK=PROMOTION_DOUBLETIME_TEAM]Doubletime[\LINK] - The Austrins are one of four civilizations who gain access to the Doubletime promotion through the [LINK=BUILDING_MASTER_SIEGE]Master Siege[\LINK] building.</English>
        <French>The Austrin excel at exploration, and have several unique features to assist in that endeavor. Several of their unique units are scouts with added mobility, who are more likely to get better results from lairs. They also have access to several unique features:[PARAGRAPH:1][NEWLINE][ICON_BULLET][LINK=PROJECT_PREPARE_EXPEDITION]Prepare Expedition[\LINK] - A special ritual that allows recon units to found cities. [LINK=SPELL_AUSTRIN_REMOTE_FOUND]Found Settlement[\LINK] does not consume the recon unit, and may be used if the unit has no movement left. For each time this ability is used, you will need to build the Prepare Expedition ritual again.[NEWLINE][ICON_BULLET][LINK=SPELL_SUMMON_PEGASUS]Summon Pegasus[\LINK] - At Air II, Austrins can summon a permanent [LINK=UNIT_PEGASUS]pegasus[\LINK]. This allows them easy access to [LINK=BUILDING_GRIFFON_WEYR]Flying Mounts Stable[\LINK]. Further, melee, archery, and arcane units may then mount the pegasus to gain the [LINK=PROMOTION_PEGASUS_RIDER_AUSTRIN]Pegasus Rider[\LINK] promotion. It's worth noting that created Flying Mounts Stable will allow the same mage to recast Summon Pegasus, but mounting the pegasus will not. So you may want to create a Flying Mounts Stable in each prior to mounting a pegasus.[NEWLINE][ICON_BULLET][LINK=SPELL_ASSEMBLE_SHOREPARTY]Assemble Shoreparty[\LINK] - Austrin naval units may use assemble shoreparty if the naval unit is on a land tile, such as in a city you own or in a city of a player that you have open borders with. This creates a [LINK=UNIT_SHOREPARTY]Shore Party[\LINK] unit, which, as a recon unit, can use [LINK=SPELL_AUSTRIN_REMOTE_FOUND]Found Settlement[\LINK].[NEWLINE][ICON_BULLET][LINK=SPELL_TRAVEL_LIGHT]Travel Light[\LINK] - Grants [LINK=PROMOTION_LIGHT]Light[\LINK] promotion to a melee unit. This allows them to move more quickly, at the cost of lowered strength. A melee unit may then [LINK=SPELL_REEQUIP]Re-Equip[\LINK], although this takes up the remainder of the unit's movement.[NEWLINE][ICON_BULLET][LINK=PROMOTION_WINDSTONES_RECON]Windstones[\LINK] - An item for recon units available through the [LINK=BUILDING_MASTER_OUTFITTER]Master Outfitter[\LINK] building. It allows recon units to engage in ranged combat.[NEWLINE][ICON_BULLET][LINK=PROMOTION_DOUBLETIME_TEAM]Doubletime[\LINK] - The Austrins are one of four civilizations who gain access to the Doubletime promotion through the [LINK=BUILDING_MASTER_SIEGE]Master Siege[\LINK] building.</French>
        <German>The Austrin excel at exploration, and have several unique features to assist in that endeavor. Several of their unique units are scouts with added mobility, who are more likely to get better results from lairs. They also have access to several unique features:[PARAGRAPH:1][NEWLINE][ICON_BULLET][LINK=PROJECT_PREPARE_EXPEDITION]Prepare Expedition[\LINK] - A special ritual that allows recon units to found cities. [LINK=SPELL_AUSTRIN_REMOTE_FOUND]Found Settlement[\LINK] does not consume the recon unit, and may be used if the unit has no movement left. For each time this ability is used, you will need to build the Prepare Expedition ritual again.[NEWLINE][ICON_BULLET][LINK=SPELL_SUMMON_PEGASUS]Summon Pegasus[\LINK] - At Air II, Austrins can summon a permanent [LINK=UNIT_PEGASUS]pegasus[\LINK]. This allows them easy access to [LINK=BUILDING_GRIFFON_WEYR]Flying Mounts Stable[\LINK]. Further, melee, archery, and arcane units may then mount the pegasus to gain the [LINK=PROMOTION_PEGASUS_RIDER_AUSTRIN]Pegasus Rider[\LINK] promotion. It's worth noting that created Flying Mounts Stable will allow the same mage to recast Summon Pegasus, but mounting the pegasus will not. So you may want to create a Flying Mounts Stable in each prior to mounting a pegasus.[NEWLINE][ICON_BULLET][LINK=SPELL_ASSEMBLE_SHOREPARTY]Assemble Shoreparty[\LINK] - Austrin naval units may use assemble shoreparty if the naval unit is on a land tile, such as in a city you own or in a city of a player that you have open borders with. This creates a [LINK=UNIT_SHOREPARTY]Shore Party[\LINK] unit, which, as a recon unit, can use [LINK=SPELL_AUSTRIN_REMOTE_FOUND]Found Settlement[\LINK].[NEWLINE][ICON_BULLET][LINK=SPELL_TRAVEL_LIGHT]Travel Light[\LINK] - Grants [LINK=PROMOTION_LIGHT]Light[\LINK] promotion to a melee unit. This allows them to move more quickly, at the cost of lowered strength. A melee unit may then [LINK=SPELL_REEQUIP]Re-Equip[\LINK], although this takes up the remainder of the unit's movement.[NEWLINE][ICON_BULLET][LINK=PROMOTION_WINDSTONES_RECON]Windstones[\LINK] - An item for recon units available through the [LINK=BUILDING_MASTER_OUTFITTER]Master Outfitter[\LINK] building. It allows recon units to engage in ranged combat.[NEWLINE][ICON_BULLET][LINK=PROMOTION_DOUBLETIME_TEAM]Doubletime[\LINK] - The Austrins are one of four civilizations who gain access to the Doubletime promotion through the [LINK=BUILDING_MASTER_SIEGE]Master Siege[\LINK] building.</German>
        <Italian>The Austrin excel at exploration, and have several unique features to assist in that endeavor. Several of their unique units are scouts with added mobility, who are more likely to get better results from lairs. They also have access to several unique features:[PARAGRAPH:1][NEWLINE][ICON_BULLET][LINK=PROJECT_PREPARE_EXPEDITION]Prepare Expedition[\LINK] - A special ritual that allows recon units to found cities. [LINK=SPELL_AUSTRIN_REMOTE_FOUND]Found Settlement[\LINK] does not consume the recon unit, and may be used if the unit has no movement left. For each time this ability is used, you will need to build the Prepare Expedition ritual again.[NEWLINE][ICON_BULLET][LINK=SPELL_SUMMON_PEGASUS]Summon Pegasus[\LINK] - At Air II, Austrins can summon a permanent [LINK=UNIT_PEGASUS]pegasus[\LINK]. This allows them easy access to [LINK=BUILDING_GRIFFON_WEYR]Flying Mounts Stable[\LINK]. Further, melee, archery, and arcane units may then mount the pegasus to gain the [LINK=PROMOTION_PEGASUS_RIDER_AUSTRIN]Pegasus Rider[\LINK] promotion. It's worth noting that created Flying Mounts Stable will allow the same mage to recast Summon Pegasus, but mounting the pegasus will not. So you may want to create a Flying Mounts Stable in each prior to mounting a pegasus.[NEWLINE][ICON_BULLET][LINK=SPELL_ASSEMBLE_SHOREPARTY]Assemble Shoreparty[\LINK] - Austrin naval units may use assemble shoreparty if the naval unit is on a land tile, such as in a city you own or in a city of a player that you have open borders with. This creates a [LINK=UNIT_SHOREPARTY]Shore Party[\LINK] unit, which, as a recon unit, can use [LINK=SPELL_AUSTRIN_REMOTE_FOUND]Found Settlement[\LINK].[NEWLINE][ICON_BULLET][LINK=SPELL_TRAVEL_LIGHT]Travel Light[\LINK] - Grants [LINK=PROMOTION_LIGHT]Light[\LINK] promotion to a melee unit. This allows them to move more quickly, at the cost of lowered strength. A melee unit may then [LINK=SPELL_REEQUIP]Re-Equip[\LINK], although this takes up the remainder of the unit's movement.[NEWLINE][ICON_BULLET][LINK=PROMOTION_WINDSTONES_RECON]Windstones[\LINK] - An item for recon units available through the [LINK=BUILDING_MASTER_OUTFITTER]Master Outfitter[\LINK] building. It allows recon units to engage in ranged combat.[NEWLINE][ICON_BULLET][LINK=PROMOTION_DOUBLETIME_TEAM]Doubletime[\LINK] - The Austrins are one of four civilizations who gain access to the Doubletime promotion through the [LINK=BUILDING_MASTER_SIEGE]Master Siege[\LINK] building.</Italian>
        <Spanish>The Austrin excel at exploration, and have several unique features to assist in that endeavor. Several of their unique units are scouts with added mobility, who are more likely to get better results from lairs. They also have access to several unique features:[PARAGRAPH:1][NEWLINE][ICON_BULLET][LINK=PROJECT_PREPARE_EXPEDITION]Prepare Expedition[\LINK] - A special ritual that allows recon units to found cities. [LINK=SPELL_AUSTRIN_REMOTE_FOUND]Found Settlement[\LINK] does not consume the recon unit, and may be used if the unit has no movement left. For each time this ability is used, you will need to build the Prepare Expedition ritual again.[NEWLINE][ICON_BULLET][LINK=SPELL_SUMMON_PEGASUS]Summon Pegasus[\LINK] - At Air II, Austrins can summon a permanent [LINK=UNIT_PEGASUS]pegasus[\LINK]. This allows them easy access to [LINK=BUILDING_GRIFFON_WEYR]Flying Mounts Stable[\LINK]. Further, melee, archery, and arcane units may then mount the pegasus to gain the [LINK=PROMOTION_PEGASUS_RIDER_AUSTRIN]Pegasus Rider[\LINK] promotion. It's worth noting that created Flying Mounts Stable will allow the same mage to recast Summon Pegasus, but mounting the pegasus will not. So you may want to create a Flying Mounts Stable in each prior to mounting a pegasus.[NEWLINE][ICON_BULLET][LINK=SPELL_ASSEMBLE_SHOREPARTY]Assemble Shoreparty[\LINK] - Austrin naval units may use assemble shoreparty if the naval unit is on a land tile, such as in a city you own or in a city of a player that you have open borders with. This creates a [LINK=UNIT_SHOREPARTY]Shore Party[\LINK] unit, which, as a recon unit, can use [LINK=SPELL_AUSTRIN_REMOTE_FOUND]Found Settlement[\LINK].[NEWLINE][ICON_BULLET][LINK=SPELL_TRAVEL_LIGHT]Travel Light[\LINK] - Grants [LINK=PROMOTION_LIGHT]Light[\LINK] promotion to a melee unit. This allows them to move more quickly, at the cost of lowered strength. A melee unit may then [LINK=SPELL_REEQUIP]Re-Equip[\LINK], although this takes up the remainder of the unit's movement.[NEWLINE][ICON_BULLET][LINK=PROMOTION_WINDSTONES_RECON]Windstones[\LINK] - An item for recon units available through the [LINK=BUILDING_MASTER_OUTFITTER]Master Outfitter[\LINK] building. It allows recon units to engage in ranged combat.[NEWLINE][ICON_BULLET][LINK=PROMOTION_DOUBLETIME_TEAM]Doubletime[\LINK] - The Austrins are one of four civilizations who gain access to the Doubletime promotion through the [LINK=BUILDING_MASTER_SIEGE]Master Siege[\LINK] building.</Spanish>
    </TEXT>

CIV4CivilizationsInfos.xml:
Code:
            <Strategy>TXT_KEY_CIV_AUSTRIN_STRATEGY</Strategy>

Please feel free to make changes to my text. I'm not fair into my current Austrin game, so I may have missed some features if I didn't find them in the XML files. I guess I could have mentioned the fort falconers, but I don't think fort commander differences are really anything worth worrying about.

Also, I found a very small error in the Austrin Found Settlement short description: there should be an additional line break prior to "allows your recon units to found a city".

Attachments

• Austrin Strategy.png
    Austrin Strategy.png
    297.9 KB · Views: 228
  • Austrin Found Settlement.png
    Austrin Found Settlement.png
    91 KB · Views: 225
Last edited:
So I have some access to update the SVN now. If anybody has any Pedia things they'd like added/changed, I can assist with that so that black_imperator can focus more on code-related issues. If you notice little typos, you can just shoot me a private message, or send a message on the Ashes of Erebus Discord channel: https://discord.gg/rqCbc4T

I'm going to do text-based changes in chunks so that I'm not incrementing the SVN version for little things.

Last edited:
The idea is for both collecting what's missing and filling them in.
Can we also flag up inconsistencies brought about by the iterative mod updates? :p
I love our Pedia so I'm really grateful you're looking into this and to all the other contributors!!

I will be updating this post to minimise post spamming and when Alsark or black_imperator review I can then cross them out, if that is ok?
  • The Command Post entry mentions that it increases the Great Person growth but it does not - suggest reference is removed. DONE

Last edited:
I felt sorry that the story of the Clan was unfinished, and therefore wrote a Pedia entry for Hafgan the Purger. Here's my first draft. English is not my mother tongue, hence there are probably some errors, and my writing style certainly needs to be improved. Any corrections, advices, suggestions and grammar lessons are welcome. I'm intending to write a Chapter 5 afterwards; it will be Rizuruk's entry, but will be much shorter.

Spoiler :
Bellowing Embers – Chapter 4

Braduk was more agitated than ever. All the Clan warbosses had marched to the capital to witness the coronation and pay homage to Jonas Endain, their new Priest-King, and the future queen Sheelba. Humble warriors and even Gretchin were massively coming too, from every corner of the vast orcish empire – from the eastern jungle to the Bannor frontline. The capital was overcrowded, and countless camps had been raised in the vast plains before the city gates. Wine and other, more dubious alcohols were already flowing freely. Though the orcs had always been prone to wild orgies, the one that was incoming was to be greater than any other in living memory.

One man was contrasting with the ambient agitation though. While the others of his kin were coming, cheering and noisily greeting each other, he was discretely preparing his departure. While they were beginning to feast, he was gearing up for war.

“Hafgan.” The voice in his back was sharp as a razor. He did not need to turn to know whom it belonged to; it was his friend Rantine. His former friend, he should say – that was before he betrayed the Clan by bringing the girl in. Her coming turned them apart as the problems her presence was causing became clearer and clearer.

Rantine’s tone turned warmer, with even a trace of worry Hafgan had rarely heard in the mouth of the great champion. “My friend. So the rumors were true after all. Are you really leaving us, before even the wedding ceremony?”

“I’m doing what I must, Rantine. You know it. There is no place for me in what you’re building up with them. I can’t live here anymore, not in this… this civilization.” He put all the scorn he was capable of in the last word.

“You’re mistaken, my friend. We’re not trying to imitate the humans, only to counter them best. Sheelba lived among them, she knows their strengths and weaknesses. With her counsels, we’re gonna be stronger and…”

“Crap. The girl has been raised by the Bannor, she has become one of them. She’s betraying our ancestral traditions by adopting the human ways. And you’re betraying your kin by following her. We have never needed “discipline” or “battle formations” before. And we would not need them now if we truly followed the old ways and Bhall’s teachings.”

“All our Queen’s proposals have been approved by Jonas, who is blessed by Bhall herself! It is the will of the Goddess that…”

“No. It is not Bhall who wants it, only the little queen. Listen to me, friend. The girl seduced you and seduced Jonas, and now you’re following her, all of you. But she’s leading you to a wrong path, Rantine. You must recover your senses and oppose her before it’s too late. She’s regimenting you, teaching you discipline and human warfare, what will come next?” He was getting more and more agitated at each sentence, until he finally shouted, unable to control himself anymore. “Negotiate peace with the Bannor? Tell me!”

Rantine had never been good at lying. He blushed, lowered his head and stammered. “No, it’s not what you think… We don’t want to…”

“I KNEW IT!” he roared. “You traitor! How dare you even think of making peace with the worst enemy of our kin!”

Rantine, recovering his senses, tried, in a quite hopeless effort, to explain his position to his fellow warboss. “Are you blind, Hafgan? Can’t you see that we’re losing the war? If we’re to continue fighting the old way, we’ll be crushed between the Chislev hammer and the Bannor anvil. We need this peace, if only a short truce. Then we’ll reassemble our armies, wipe out the Chislev who are harassing us on our backs and get ready for the next war against the Bannor. There is no treason in ensuring the Clan’s survival. I loathe the Bannor as much as you, but I can tell you that this is a wise strategic decision.”

“’Wise’, ‘strategic’”, Hafgan answered softly. “Is it your beloved queen who taught you these words? Where is the hero I knew, the fierce warrior who feared no one on the battlefield? The slut’s company has made you as weak as her, friend.”

No one had even dared to insult the great hero in such a manner. Normally, Rantine would have split the insolent’s skull in two for saying that. His face was getting redder with each of Hafgan’s impudences, he was breathing more heavily and his hand was getting dangerously close to the shaft of his great axe, yet he did not interrupt the willful boss as he continued to provoke him.

“We are Bhall’s children, friend. We don’t owe obedience to any king or queen, only to the Goddess. Ours is not to kneel, ours is to stand and do what we want. If Jonas submits to his pretty little wife, it is because what he wants is to please her so that he can fudge her. But you – you have nothing to expect from her, why do you obey her? Is it really what you want, to be a little girl’s obedient puppet?”

There was a long, oppressing silence. When Rantine finally spoke, his tone was as cold as a glacier. “Go, Hafgan. Leave the city with your men, before I kill you and throw you into Bhall’s pyre. But first tell me, you oh-so-proud warrior – what is it that YOU want?”

“Fire” he simply answered, as his mouth widened in a large, frightful smile.

Top Bottom