Ashes of Erebus (RifE's Follow-up) Download and Bug Reports

Getting a WoC hang when I hit "Enter" at the end of the turn. Maybe eventually you get to the next turn, but after waiting about 5 minutes I gave up.

SVN Revision 364.

Active modules are the following: Advanced Workers, Animal Lairs, Arachnophobia, Bannor Expansion, Black Duke, Chislev Expansion, Churel, City Guards, Coaxoch, Dao, Dural, Dwarves, Emergent Leaders, Everchanging, Flight of Drakes, Fortifications, Frozen, Hamstalfar, Important Leaders, Lizard Art, Ljosalfar Expansion, Magister Ashes, MOM Buildings, More Events, More Goodies, New Traits, Node Yields, Noggormotha, PPQ Effects, PPQ Flavor, PPQ Navy, Scion Healthcare, SidarWanes, Watering the Flames.

Attachments

• Nor'easter Turn_0453.CivBeyondSwordSave
    1.2 MB · Views: 4
Experiencing a bug with Remnants of Patria similar to what I reported about the Dragon Bones recently.

I had a unit explore the Remnants of Patria and reveal Spirit Mana. It was in my territory and I built a road to connect it, but didn't have the Spirit Mana. My unit that explored it received the Spirit I Promotion, but that was it.

SVN Revision 364.

Active modules are the following: Advanced Workers, Animal Lairs, Arachnophobia, Bannor Expansion, Black Duke, Chislev Expansion, Churel, City Guards, Coaxoch, Dao, Dural, Dwarves, Emergent Leaders, Everchanging, Flight of Drakes, Fortifications, Frozen, Hamstalfar, Important Leaders, Lizard Art, Ljosalfar Expansion, Magister Ashes, MOM Buildings, More Events, More Goodies, New Traits, Node Yields, Noggormotha, PPQ Effects, PPQ Flavor, PPQ Navy, Scion Healthcare, SidarWanes, Watering the Flames.

Playing as the Chislev with the Chislev Expansion module enabled. The 'pedia still says that if the Chislev build a Totem in one city, a replica Totem will appear in cities four tiles away, and that there are limits to how many Totems of a particular type -- Tribal or Religious -- you can build in any city. It doesn't work that way any more, so I'm assuming the 'pedia is out of date and the system is working as intended, but just thought I'd mention it.

SVN Revision 364.

Playing as the Chislev with the Chislev Expansion module enabled. The 'pedia still says that if the Chislev build a Totem in one city, a replica Totem will appear in cities four tiles away, and that there are limits to how many Totems of a particular type -- Tribal or Religious -- you can build in any city. It doesn't work that way any more, so I'm assuming the 'pedia is out of date and the system is working as intended, but just thought I'd mention it.

SVN Revision 364.

it's the contrary, the pedia is uptodate, but the system hasn't been reintegrated from the reset of earlier this year. It's not a simple piece of code, so i'm handling other stuff first before restoring it.

Error with the Overcouncil's support, screenshot attached.

SVN Revision 364.

I actually chose a different option, so don't know if you actually receive Assassins instead of Radiant Guards or if it's just the mouseover that's incorrect.

Screenshot (345).png

A couple of python exceptions, screenshots attached.

SVN Revision 364.

Screenshot (346).png
Screenshot (347).png

Error with the Overcouncil's support, screenshot attached.

SVN Revision 364.

I actually chose a different option, so don't know if you actually receive Assassins instead of Radiant Guards or if it's just the mouseover that's incorrect.

View attachment 679162

Following up on this, in my current game I selected the Radiant Guard option and did indeed receive two Assassins, so the problem isn't the mouseover.

In a classical Ashes of Erebus moment, I get saves like this once I get deep enough into the game. Corrupted, crashes on loading (after the "finishing" text shows up), and leaves me frustrated. I'd have to never close the game to actually finish a playthrough... I was hoping that since you reverted to a previous version and disabled some of the features, things would be better, but sadly doesn't seem so. Just wanted to report that. Been getting this kind of errors for years, with this modmod, and equally with Fall Further before. Default modules. Tried a different map, still crashed. Wouldn't know if there's any way to prevent it at this point. I'll just try not closing, but... it can sometimes crash anyway in game, and then i'll be totally screwed.
Oh and latest 364 SVN too.

PS: If there's any known crash causes, I'd appreciate being told what they are so that I can avoid them... I just want to have a normal, functional game if possible

Attachments

• Rivanna Turn_0616.CivBeyondSwordSave
    1.7 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:
In a classical Ashes of Erebus moment, I get saves like this once I get deep enough into the game. Corrupted, crashes on loading (after the "finishing" text shows up), and leaves me frustrated. I'd have to never close the game to actually finish a playthrough... I was hoping that since you reverted to a previous version and disabled some of the features, things would be better, but sadly doesn't seem so. Just wanted to report that. Been getting this kind of errors for years, with this modmod, and equally with Fall Further before. Default modules. Tried a different map, still crashed. Wouldn't know if there's any way to prevent it at this point. I'll just try not closing, but... it can sometimes crash anyway in game, and then i'll be totally screwed.

PS: If there's any known crash causes, I'd appreciate being told what they are so that I can avoid them... I just want to have a normal, functional game if possible

In fairness, since reverting to an earlier version the mod is much more stable than it was. Yes, I also frequently get a repeatable CtD or WoC hang that prevents me from finishing a game, which can be frustrating. On the other hand, since the mod is so much more stable, the hope is that the problems will be fewer and therefore easier to track down now. And

We haven't had a SVN update since July, so maybe some of the issues will be fixed next time. And @black_imperator , we know you're doing this on your own time and have real-life priorities, plus we're now in the middle of the holidays, so please don't misunderstand my comment about the SVN update. Speaking for myself, I'll continue reporting issues I encounter in the hope that you can find solutions.

thanks for the report,
do you have your last working save for that same game on hand? It'll help in figuring out the cause of the issue. I'll try and get this fixed for next version

thanks for the report,
do you have your last working save for that same game on hand? It'll help in figuring out the cause of the issue. I'll try and get this fixed for next version
Sorry, I haven't got anything. It seems to be fairly random. On another laptop, I've had a save going well into the 600s at least and no save loading CTDs at all. However, just started a new game since I have switched to my new laptop, and around turn 213 the save is already corrupted. I tried loading my oldest autosave but it still crashes. I do think that the mod is more stable than before, and I've switched to the modules Nor'easter is using since I've seen them posting here forever so I assume they know what modules work well. So far no real issues.
I'll see if I can get a save before/after the crash, I've been trying to get that but so far didn't manage to do it.
Couple of other bugs to report as well:
- Loki flipping a city to the Balseraphs causes an overflow error with the city's culture and it instantly goes to Legendary
- Killing an illusory copy of Saila (I was playing as Svartalfar and gave her Black Mirror) also causes her to be reborn somewhere, creating duplicate Sailas
- Events giving graveyards (like the ancient warrior burial one) don't seem to work properly and create them anymore, or else they're created on top of the city sometimes (not sure when but I remember that one happening)

Sorry, I haven't got anything. It seems to be fairly random. On another laptop, I've had a save going well into the 600s at least and no save loading CTDs at all. However, just started a new game since I have switched to my new laptop, and around turn 213 the save is already corrupted. I tried loading my oldest autosave but it still crashes. I do think that the mod is more stable than before, and I've switched to the modules Nor'easter is using since I've seen them posting here forever so I assume they know what modules work well. So far no real issues.
I'll see if I can get a save before/after the crash, I've been trying to get that but so far didn't manage to do it.
Couple of other bugs to report as well:
- Loki flipping a city to the Balseraphs causes an overflow error with the city's culture and it instantly goes to Legendary
- Killing an illusory copy of Saila (I was playing as Svartalfar and gave her Black Mirror) also causes her to be reborn somewhere, creating duplicate Sailas
- Events giving graveyards (like the ancient warrior burial one) don't seem to work properly and create them anymore, or else they're created on top of the city sometimes (not sure when but I remember that one happening)

Thanks for the shout-out, but I can't claim any special knowledge about the modules, I mostly just chose the ones I found interesting. There are a few that I kept inactive because I remember @black_imperator saying that they were incomplete and still needed work -- I think Jotnar and More Arcane are among those. And there were a couple I tried out but didn't completely like, so deactivated those as well -- Dynamic Religions didn't really do it for me, I prefer the traditional way of founding a religion. And while I thought the idea of Werepyre was interesting, although it really only matters if you're playing the Calabim and build Duin or get a werewolf some other way, I ended up having virtually all my Vampiric Werewolves eventually die from the Conflicted Blood promotion, so deactivated the module.

Back when the mod was much less stable, before reverting to an earlier SVN revision, I ended up having to experiment with different combinations of modules to get a stable game, so glad that that period's over. I still get occasional crashes, as I wrote, but they're typically repeatable ones, so I just upload the saved game from immediately before. A while back someone had suggested modifying the Autosave interval from the BtS standard 4 turns to 1 turn, so if there's a crash you don't have to go back to an earlier Autosave and replay three or four turns, which, in the late game especially, can take a long time.

Thanks for the shout-out, but I can't claim any special knowledge about the modules, I mostly just chose the ones I found interesting. There are a few that I kept inactive because I remember @black_imperator saying that they were incomplete and still needed work -- I think Jotnar and More Arcane are among those. And there were a couple I tried out but didn't completely like, so deactivated those as well -- Dynamic Religions didn't really do it for me, I prefer the traditional way of founding a religion. And while I thought the idea of Werepyre was interesting, although it really only matters if you're playing the Calabim and build Duin or get a werewolf some other way, I ended up having virtually all my Vampiric Werewolves eventually die from the Conflicted Blood promotion, so deactivated the module.

Back when the mod was much less stable, before reverting to an earlier SVN revision, I ended up having to experiment with different combinations of modules to get a stable game, so glad that that period's over. I still get occasional crashes, as I wrote, but they're typically repeatable ones, so I just upload the saved game from immediately before. A while back someone had suggested modifying the Autosave interval from the BtS standard 4 turns to 1 turn, so if there's a crash you don't have to go back to an earlier Autosave and replay three or four turns, which, in the late game especially, can take a long time.
Nah, no worries. No special knowledge is fine. Just that I have not played the mod in a good few years, and would not know which modules even work properly. I couldn't get the game to start without crashing if I just activated all of them. Doesn't mean your list is perfect, but it serves me as a good reference point to not trial-and-error everything myself.

Okay, I found a bizarre workaround to the corrupted save bug. It seems that if I just load a previous save from that game which does actually work, and then load the "corrupted" game save again, it... works? But if you do it from the get-go, it doesn't. I have no clue why, but it is how it is. That's great to know, lol. I wish I knew that before...

Okay, I found a bizarre workaround to the corrupted save bug. It seems that if I just load a previous save from that game which does actually work, and then load the "corrupted" game save again, it... works? But if you do it from the get-go, it doesn't. I have no clue why, but it is how it is. That's great to know, lol. I wish I knew that before...
hmmm, that means the save ain't truly corrupted, it's a memory issue.

The Cathedral of Tali is installing lighthouses in my inland cities as well as the coastal ones. Just reporting though I don't know if it is a bug or a feature.(But,,, does not make sense if it's a feature...)

Can the Clockwork City(unique feature) be explored twice in a turn? It always spawns bad things like barbarian monsters at the first exploration and good things at the second if i remeber correctly.
And I wonder if unit's level affects the exploration results of Unique features and lairs.

The Cathedral of Tali is installing lighthouses in my inland cities as well as the coastal ones. Just reporting though I don't know if it is a bug or a feature.(But,,, does not make sense if it's a feature...)

Can the Clockwork City(unique feature) be explored twice in a turn? It always spawns bad things like barbarian monsters at the first exploration and good things at the second if i remeber correctly.
And I wonder if unit's level affects the exploration results of Unique features and lairs.
All lairs can be explored multiple times a turn. every result has a chance to "destroy" the lair, turning it not explorable for a while, positive results are in general more likely to destroy the lair than negative ones.

as for unit levels, there are a couple of results that have a level prereq, but mostly no, it doesn't impact the results

Hi

do anyone know why I cannot research Corruption of Spirit or Way of Earthmother (I tried with 3 different civilisations)?Is it bug or feature?

Hi

do anyone know why I cannot research Corruption of Spirit or Way of Earthmother (I tried with 3 different civilisations)?Is it bug or feature?
It's likely that you have some hidden option activated ( which happens when you switch mods). Try starting a "play now" game, it should reset those hidden options.

thank you very much, it helped

Top Bottom