Aspects people think Civ V got right

JoxerNL

Warlord
Im just wondering what people think were good positive changes to Civ V.

For me i would say that im liking the 1UPT and Hexes, also the Music itself is very fitting for each of the nations.
Also like how resources are limited.

Please no negative posts in here, there are plenty of threads to vent your frustration about what your gripe with the game is, i'd like to see some positive posts on this forum!
-J

I think the graphics look good (many people say the graphics are a step down but I think Civ 5 graphics are great)

I like leader screens (especially Montezuma)

I like city-states. Sometimes it hurts to see an ally city state getting wiped out when I know I should be protecting them

I like steam. It was nice being able to just download and play (I know this isnt anything about Civ 5 itself)

Hexes and 1UPT are positive changes. The graphics are quite good besides the rivers and trading posts.

The leader screens are quite well done.

Finally, city states have great potential.

-I like 1upt a lot. Ofc it brings problems I wish they would fix, but it's a nice idea
-I like the graphics too.
-Embarking is a nice idea.
-City states are cool too, but also need improvement
-City defense is very nice. I like having 1-4 turns for preparing a defense unlike civ4.
-Modding capabilities seem HUGE
-Using up strategic resources is nice, but they should give less quantity, considering we build so few units for war.
-GG buffing units instead of doing a superunit was also a good idea
-GPs not beeing random

This bothers me. The ally city state should be sending messages to you to "HELP US~!!" It's like they are way too proud to even do that.

Yea but you know if they sent a message people would complain on the forums that the message annoys them and wish it could be turned off. And when an ally city-state is attacked it does pop up on the right side

I like the impact of the limited resources also. Changes in warfare are much appreciated. Actual ranged units. Forts that are actually worth building. I don't think I ever built a fort in Civ 4 when an army could just go around it anyway. Not sure about everyone else, but I always thought the Carriers in Civ 4 weren't very useful, but with the changes in how the cities are taken, a navy is actually pretty useful this time around. Puppet states.

For the graphics, Civ 5 is more like a painting and Civ 4 is more like a cartoon. Neither is bad, just different.

I like the change to the culture borders. It feels more organic to have them meander out. Civ 3 let you build colonies for out of reach resources, as I recall, and Civ 5 lets you buy tiles. Civ 4 required a new city.

I like the fact that the nations actually have unique attributes.

Overall, whatever my gripes might be with this game, it's still better than anything else I've played since, well, Civ 4, and I've still spent a stupid amount of time playing it in the last couple weeks.

I like hexes, and the better terrain it seems to create.
Whilst the 1upt rule seemed good in theory, in practice I'm not convinced. A compromise whereby a limited stack [army] is my own personal fav at the moment.
Embarking is a good idea, but I've yet to see a nation who fields a navy to oppose me.
I like city states...but their benefits need to be toned down a bit.
I like the fact that you can work towards specific GP, but dislike the fact that some of them seem overpowered [i.e. great scientist]
Civ Special Powers - jury is still out on this one. It creates a point of difference between the Civs, but some of the powers don't seem to be thought out clearly [Babylon]

People have already taken all the good ones!

My list:
Hexes
Limitation on units per tile (though 1 UPT might be a bit over the top)
City Defense
Ranged Units
Global Happiness
Embarking
Combat animations are nice
City states
Limited strategical resources
Great Generals
Research Agreements (rather than tech trading)
I can do stuff when the AI is working (ie. after the end of one turn but before the start of the next).

- I like that the upgrade price for units is quite reasonable, so you actually do upgrade those veterans
- I also like that you can buy tiles, though I probably would have preferred the "currency" to be culture.

Hexes :thumbsup:
Embarking instead of transports :thumbsup:
Leader screen artwork :thumbsup:

Unfortunately, that's all that is new that has excited me to date - which is disappointing given that this is the 5th installment in a series. And the :thumbsdown: is a much bigger one... but that's for another thread.

City-states :undecide:
I want to believe that they are a good thing, but I keep thinking that they are just a mechanic to turn your surplus gold into culture/food/military units. Sort of like shopping for your favourite victory condition...

I think the unit icons are done very stylishly. The 2D art for units/buildings/tech is quite nice as well. I actually like the black interface.

1upt
the amazing leader screens and their respective language
embarking instead of stupid transports
hexes
graphics bring updated
music is really fitting
the paintings of wonders are just stunning and I rarely skip them unlike civ4
Gold actually being useful
Social policies
and my favorite - the animations for nuclear missiles! Sssooooo good.

Yea but you know if they sent a message people would complain on the forums that the message annoys them and wish it could be turned off. And when an ally city-state is attacked it does pop up on the right side

Yeh but if they get attacked and your are not helping out, it should affect your points with that city state and also give u a bad rep. Making other city states less likely to ally with you.

I like pretty much everything in CIV 5 (except mandatory Steam) but I think pretty much everything also needs more tuning to get it really work well. I just fear that they do the tuning by selling us two expansions instead of fixing it for free as they should.

I like hexes and i do not shun the 1upt ( in spite of knowing since day 0 that 1upt has it's own issues , like the SoD ). I also don't dislike the current combat system ( i reserve the right of badmouthing it after seeing the code ) . The city states are a good idea ( that clearly needs more work ). The 1 tile per culture expansion + tile buy is also a good idea and the city ownership of the countryside that it bought /expanded to is alos a good idea gamewise. Long range fire return is also Ok by my book, as gpt for g deals ( if they fix the inherent exploit with a enforced peace deal ).

Too bad I can't put out more, given that my list of what i do not like/ stuff that is good in theory but was badly implemented is far bigger...

My post is not just empty praise, and may have some criticisms included, but they are considered ones for the context of civ5, and please accept that some comparisons to civ4 are inevitable.;)

-Maps seem to be very large. In all the streamlining that's been going on, at least we haven't ended up with the mapsizes that were typical in civrev. :) Even the default small map has impressed me.

-Modding potential. It looks like this will already be more moddable than civ4, and even accessible to more novice modders (which most believe is a good thing). In civ4, I felt that with the SDK I had the power to change almost anything about the game I wanted, though I don't usually have the know-how. :lol: I have great optimism for what mods will do with civ5.

-If a unit has yet to receive orders, I like that the "unit needs orders" button prevents you from ending the turn early, though it is a tad laggy at times. (By the way, for those who don't know, Shift+Enter can still be used to skip unit orders and force end-turn, if allowed)

-Civ5 introduces more incentives to explore, and also to get that exploring done earlier. City states give more gold if you're the first to find them, and natural wonders add to the happiness of your empire, even if you're not the first civ to discover them *looks angrily at civrev*. Also, you're required to do exploring yourself a bit more because there is not tech trading anymore (though you could automate explorers if you really wish). I may eventually change my mind about this, but at this point I like that you have to discover the world yourself rather than just have some point in the game where "boom, you just paid some gold to uncover all the tiles in the world".

Also, the greater importance on exploration means the scout is more often a unit that is worth building (but not by a long way, I admit).

-More frequent / easier to obtain golden ages. To add, it's nice that having excess happiness actually contributes to something. Even if it's not the most useful way to use excess happiness (i.e. one should expand/grow instead), it's nice that there is at least something positive about the difference from 0. On the other hand, it would be nice if the penalty for a very unhappy empire actually scaled with the size of the unhappiness too, because once you go past that threshold (-10) you begin to no longer care and just go on your way conquering the world but with no population growth and the small inconvenience of a combat penalty.

-Ability to "lock in" citizens to particular tiles while using the citizen automation and emphasis buttons. Now you can ensure that gold mine gets worked even if you tell the city to emphasise food. It's not quite perfect, but it is so much easier to use than civ4's city governors IMO.

-No more prebuilding improvements on top of existing ones. Now you actually have to make the sacrifice of destroying an improvement in order to begin a new one, and you can't even 1-turn build it either (by using multiple workers). I've found this has reduced my worker micro quite a lot, because I'm pretty much OCD about these things :lol:, but sadly it's still possible to get some micro advantages out of pre-builds when there aren't existing improvements on a tile.

-I love that there are no more civ4-style (and previous civs IIRC) granaries where its effect was to store one half of the food for next growth (though the hospital now does it instead, but it's a late-game building and expensive to build/maintain so it has much less impact on gameplay). The building was just too powerful and dominated pretty much every build order. It also lead to not-so-intuitive ways to make use of the whip and finessing with the angry-countdown timer.

While some people appear disappointed with how narrow-focused some of the buildings are now, I appreciate that fewer of them are so obviously overpowered anymore, like the library and granary.

-Cities having 3 tile radius. This gives you more flexibility (at least on the surface it appears to) in tailoring cities to just the right size you want. It's for all intents and purposes impossible to fill up the entire city radius with citizens from a single city in the course of a normal game, so there's much less sacrifice in placing cities with overlapping BFCs and IMO the decisions about where to settle are equally, if not slightly more, interesting as they were in civ4. People have been complaining about how weak the bonus resources are, but this is not a bother if one tries to get used to more reasonable yield levels rather than the pretty extreme cases of civ4's river-side grass corn, or the copper mines.

-I'm sure it's been mentioned lots of times, but finite strategic resources. These resources seem a squidgeon too abundant on some of the mapscripts, but at leas this can be adjusted via the mapscripts themselves. Now in civ5, attaining more copies of a strategic resource gives you a greater benefit than simply having one copy of it, so there is incentive to go out claiming or capturing more. :)

-Jungles are a bit better now, with an interesting bonus given by a building (universities). In civ4, there was pretty much no reason to ever keep them because they gave a health penalty and they prevented access to a strong grassland tile.

I could add to the list later, but these are the things I have specifically noted so far, and that may have received not much mention yet.

Thanks for reading. :goodjob:

Indeed, there is a lot to like, and you all before me told it nearly all :)

I must stress that the extensive moddability (as now it seems, I am no modder though (yet))
is a huge and definitive plus:
civ5 will have a long lifespan this way, and we can make a good (or better, best...) game out of it,
can be creative, and that is very, very important!

The things we don't like now can thus removed, changed to our liking...
...we can make any kind of game, even civ4+, if we want it...

Embarking - this is a great change and one every large scale 4x or wargame should try, I think.

Global unhappiness and the removal of health - I know many will disagree with this, but balance discussions aside I think it's a positive change. In an early civ iv game it does add more things for you to do, but in the late game, with a large empire it's micromanagement I would rather not deal with. My cities are unhealthy/starving? Who cares? I'm in the middle of moving around massive stacks of troops and trying to bribe some war allies.

1upt - AI aside, this is a great idea. I can't imagine anyone preferring stacks of doom.

Some aspects of the UI - steps forward and steps back basically. The message system is far less intrusive than the civ iv way, but unit cycling replaces that as the prime annoyance. There are also some regressions in the diplomacy and budget screens and a couple of other places.

No more sliders - Again, this is a good thing. It forces you to balance your economy through the production of your cities and expenses, not by adjusting an arbitrary percentage.

There are others, but those are the main things that strike me. I also like the new diplomacy options, but not how they're implemented right now. I suspect not all of this is working as designed and we'll see some improvement in the future.

I`ll make it simple.Bare in mind that I like the idea/direction/decision and not neccerely the implementation!! So here we go:

1) HEX
2) POLICYS
3) New Victory Conditions
4) Map size/design/generation
5) The new civ specific traits
6) 1UPT(tho I advocate the 3 UPT esp in Multiplayer)
7) Embarcation
8) GPs special tile(again I like the idea not implementation)
9) The General direction of the diplomacy mechanics
10) The new resourse system

Top Bottom