Assyria discussion

Even if you're ahead in tech it's very likely that you have some tech that you've skipped along the way. So now by taking a weak civ you also plug in holes you might've left in the tech tree. It seems very powerful to me, even if you end up only stealing one or two techs per game.

It's powerful, but is it overpowering? To me, you gain more from the conquering of the other civ than from the techs gained.

Decidedly powerful. And we still don't know what the library or tower does yet. Hold on to your socks.

OK, that makes sense. I had preferred the symbol of Ashur, but that makes a good amount of sense (I think my fear was confusion with the Inca).

Now we know a bit more about Assyria. The Siege Tower gives a bonus to adjacent units. The Royal Libraries give XP when their Great Work of Lit slot is filled.

I would guess that the best strategy for them is to go Liberty to get a free Great Writer in order to get an early Great Work to slot in the Royal Library. So you want to bee line writing for that. Then you might want to begin bee lining mathematics to get your Siege Towers going as early as possible.

Presumably they are melee siege units like Battering Rams, so pick up Composite Bowmen to go with them.

Once you've got that going, start taking rivals' cities to help fill up your tech tree. Statue of Zeus would be helpful for Assyria, so build it or steal it while you can. And if one of the militaristic city-states has Ballistas, that would be a good unit to go with your siege towers.

Now we know a bit more about Assyria. The Siege Tower gives a bonus to adjacent units. The Royal Libraries give XP when their Great Work of Lit slot is filled.

I would guess that the best strategy for them is to go Liberty to get a free Great Writer in order to get an early Great Work to slot in the Royal Library. So you want to bee line writing for that. Then you might want to begin bee lining mathematics to get your Siege Towers going as early as possible.

Presumably they are melee siege units like Battering Rams, so pick up Composite Bowmen to go with them.

Once you've got that going, start taking rivals' cities to help fill up your tech tree. Statue of Zeus would be helpful for Assyria, so build it or steal it while you can. And if one of the militaristic city-states has Ballistas, that would be a good unit to go with your siege towers.

Although I wonder if great works can be stolen??? If they can maybe honor would be best to just take your neighbors great work (as well as a tech).

I have a feeling that when I play Assyria, I will beeline only military techs, with intention on backfilling earlier ones when I conquer. (well maybe the first few ones Ill research myself to link up resources)

Although I wonder if great works can be stolen??? If they can maybe honor would be best to just take your neighbors great work (as well as a tech).

I have a feeling that when I play Assyria, I will beeline only military techs, with intention on backfilling earlier ones when I conquer. (well maybe the first few ones Ill research myself to link up resources)

You are assuming that any of your neighbors have the appropriate Great Work to slot in your library. I think it would be best to just make one.

You are assuming that any of your neighbors have the appropriate Great Work to slot in your library. I think it would be best to just make one.

True. Maybe Im just placing too much emphasis on their UA, but it seems like with them you should ALWAYS be at war, because that is how you will get techs fastest. You can even be really far ahead and as long as they have the non-military techs you dont you can still benefit from taking their cities.

It just seems like that if my above assumption is correct, honor would be much better to have a commanding military presence.

That seems to be the problem in the civ design. The UB is strange since it requires a lot of effort to utilize it (a) get writing b) build a library, c) create a Great Work) and the payoff is only really needed in one city (the unit production site, besides, creating several great works would probably be too costly). So the big question is whether it is worth it to make the detour to Writing or not. For that we need to know how big the xp bonus is and if it's instant or over time (or even if it applies to all existing units*). Also I can see one early policy giving a free Great Artist (which type is up to you). The new Aesthetics tree would seem to fit well for such a policy. If it's unlocked in the classical era, the detour seems to become manageable. But again, need info/playtesting ;)

*This would make it valuable for wide empires and makes it payoff come over time if it's say 1 xp for all current and future units per Great Work.

Another thing I'm curious to see with Assyria is if you can steal techs by flipping a city via ideology.

If you take into account how Austria's ability works, namely as a "peaceful" conquest, I'd wager that yes, tech stealing would work that way as well. Now I do hope that they recode that thing so that it works more realistically (i.e. not eliminate the CS from the game). Can you flip city states btw.?

On a second thought on the Royal Library, I'd say the bonus is not so much the XP bonus, but the Great Works slot (if normal libraries don't have those which I say is likely due to balance reasons) and that can be powerful for your conquered art... (and for other stuff as well ;))

Where is this from?

The German article I believe.
Let me double check.

Edit: Found it:

Assyrien baut Belagerungstürme, die nur ein Feld Angriffsreichweite haben, aber auch benachbarte Truppen beim Angriff auf die Stadt unterstützen.

Assyria builds Siege Towers, who have only one hex attack range, but support neighbouring troops during attacks on cities.

Dug up this thread to say that one of the recent previews seemed to say that the Seige Tower is indeed a melee unit, which opens up a strategy I'm very fond of that was a little out of place with the Huns.

With Alhambra and an Armory (plus Morale), you can produce a battering ram and now, a seige tower that you can instantly tech to Drill 2 and the city attack bonus, which stacks with the continued ranged promotions to give an extra +30% bombard vs rough terrain, +50% vs cities, and brilliantly, a defensive bonus for being stationed in rough terrain too. The seige tower when upgraded will be even more useful - if it keeps its city bonus, two adjacent levelled up can end up having ridiculous amounts of extra damage vs cities! And with the royal library too, it might even be possible (although difficult given the short window) to get it to Blitz which overcomes the main issue with this tactic that it delays Logistics until you're well into the Renaissance.

It's a bit vague. It said it can only attack cities and that it gives melee units a combat advantage. Does it actually say it's a melee unit?

Kind of funny how the Siege Tower gives Assyria a classical era UU. If anything the placement for the tower and the ram should be reversed.

Top Bottom