Avoiding nasty surprises

My neighbors got crushed by barbarians. If I take their cities from the barbarians are they going to want to revolt and bring that neighbor back to life? I might do it anyway since they were better neighbors than the barbarians are, but I'd like to know what I'm getting into.

This is my first game since I got the up to date revision and before that I never actually got this far, since it turns out I was (by all reports) trying to do the impossible by playing Egypt past failing their UHV.

Most civilizations can respawn if certain conditions are met.

Having barbarian or independent cities in the core area for an extinct civ is one way to trigger a respawn.

An unstable civ (exactly how unstable depends on the difficulty setting) which controls cities in the core area for an extinct civ, is another way to trigger a respawn.

I believe in both cases, there has to be at least two cities in the extinct civ's core for a respawn, but I am not 100% sure of this. If there is only one city present (others were razed for example) then respawn will not occur.

We'll see how it goes. I kept two former Ethiopian cities...and stability is an ongoing problem. If they want to resurrect the Ethiopian Kingdom they can go.

Top Bottom