[NFP] Babylon First Look

I haven't read all 30 pages so I don't know if it's already been discussed but... I just can't get myself to play Babylon. I never had this issue with any of the other civs. Sure, some I liked better than others but I played them all. This whole concept of being both good and bad at science just irks me. It feels too gimmicky, too gamey. There is zero connection between that and what Babylon (or any other civilization) was. That can of course be said of a lot of things in the game but this one just rubs me the wrong way.

That was my 2 cents, carry on.

Last edited:
I haven't read all 30 pages so I don't know if it's already been discussed but... I just can't get myself to play Babylon. I never had this issue with any of the other civs. Sure, some I liked better than others but I played them all. This whole concept of being both good and bad at science just irks me. It feels to gimmicky, too gamey. There is zero connection between that and what Babylon (or any other civilization) was. That can of course be said of a lot of things in the game but this one just rubs me the wrong way.

Yup, that's why I did a little tweaking after winning Diplo and Cultural waaaay to early.

Playing with Babylon in the game weirdly seems like FXS loosely took the story of Atlantis and remade it into a Civ. Maybe it's all the fantasy game modes that have shown up in NFP, but that's what this civ reminds me of.

I have no doubt that Babylon is a powerful tool in that hands of a good player, but just playing the Eureka game and optimizing everything around isn't enough - I managed to get so carried away with it and by the offered possibilities like grabbing wonders that I forgot to watch my back. It is nice to suddenly have the option to build Rangers way before their usual appearence, but it doesn't help you if you lack Gold or Production to make use of it and Matthias Corvinus surprises you with some levied Musketmen (another caveat of Babylon: Barbs and CSs show up with better units) . Especially production as the constant bottleneck in Civ6 is something to watch out for Babylon: You basically already convert production into science by heureka-ing everything left and right, so you have to be extra careful with what you do with the sparse hammers you have left. Building some extra military units probably doesn't hurt...

I have no doubt that Babylon is a powerful tool in that hands of a good player, but just playing the Eureka game and optimizing everything around isn't enough - I managed to get so carried away with it and by the offered possibilities like grabbing wonders that I forgot to watch my back. It is nice to suddenly have the option to build Rangers way before their usual appearence, but it doesn't help you if you lack Gold or Production to make use of it and Matthias Corvinus surprises you with some levied Musketmen (another caveat of Babylon: Barbs and CSs show up with better units) . Especially production as the constant bottleneck in Civ6 is something to watch out for Babylon: You basically already convert production into science by heureka-ing everything left and right, so you have to be extra careful with what you do with the sparse hammers you have left. Building some extra military units probably doesn't hurt...

Thus the reason Babylon made it past playtesting. There are a lot of traps to fall in that can ruin your game.

It's like a maginot line of game mechanics

I haven't read all 30 pages so I don't know if it's already been discussed but... I just can't get myself to play Babylon. I never had this issue with any of the other civs. Sure, some I liked better than others but I played them all. This whole concept of being both good and bad at science just irks me. It feels too gimmicky, too gamey. There is zero connection between that and what Babylon (or any other civilization) was. That can of course be said of a lot of things in the game but this one just rubs me the wrong way.

Quoting myself here. Tried them out. Still don't like the theme but gameplay wise they are actually quite fun. Can't remember the last time building two forts felt worthwhile.

Top Bottom