Barbarian Spawn Rate Remains Insane

I think it's working great. Yeah if you see a Barb threat my policy is drop everything and hammer it. Great short term threat, and with Era now you get a longer term reward in addition to the short term reward, as compensation for having to divert resources from your mid term objectives (Tech, Building, etc)

I like them to but i hate it when they still exist in the industrial and modern era i mean i don't want to settle useless cities on the tundra and ice to avoid barb camps to spam units and i don't want to send a unit there to keep guard ..

They need to make them dissapear automaticly at some point.

No, I LOVE the later barbarians... Keep the world a little dangerous.

I like them to but i hate it when they still exist in the industrial and modern era i mean i don't want to settle useless cities on the tundra and ice to avoid barb camps to spam units and i don't want to send a unit there to keep guard ..

They need to make them dissapear automaticly at some point.

And they are more advanced by then as well. I imagine if we had modern pirates ravaging the seas as well? I would also love Barbs to have helicopters or airplanes at some point? Maybe they could steal them. :eek:

No, I LOVE the later barbarians... Keep the world a little dangerous.

Agreed. Some people complain about later ages being dull. Why would anyone want to disable barbs after a certain amount of time? It definitely keeps you on your toes, which is a good thing.

I have a dumb question:

Did the "Raging Barbarians" map-option get removed in one of the latest patches? I am trying R&F now and it's not there...

Agreed. Some people complain about later ages being dull. Why would anyone want to disable barbs after a certain amount of time? It definitely keeps you on your toes, which is a good thing.

Normally once you're established in any capacity barbs are trivial, regardless of era. If you block scouts from getting back to a camp (not hard to do with no-maintenance screening units) the only barb units that matter are rebels or ones from free cities.

TBH Civ 6 barbs only need that first 5-10 turns fixed and they're the best version of barbarians in any civ game.

I play Random Deity/Pangaea/All Standard almost every game. My last game I rolled Amanitore which is funny because that is the one Civ I don't want to play because the archers and bonuses are pretty OP IMO. So I had a decent start and moved one turn before settling to get the plains hill. I noticed I was on the west edge of the map and decided to gamble a bit when I had plenty of room. I started slinger, settler and settled my first expo and met a Faith CS along with France who wasn't too far away. I planned on rushing her. A few scouts found me early but I didn't pay them much attention. I ended up really playing crazy and went Pottery/Writing First to get two early campuses up which I did. I managed to build 4 slingers and 2 archers and 2 warriors along with a builder or two. I was just about to take Frances Expo and I noticed that France had been wrecked pretty good by barbs. Needless to say they turned their attention on me now and I had 4 camps in my area but couldn't clear them because Horses, Warriors and archers were swarming me pretty good. I was killing them left and right but I could see that I was about to lose a few troops soon and needless to say I have had to only build army now. I saved the game around turn 50 and will go back to it later but it is clear that if you have camps near you to not let them be... you should hunt them down like dogs and clear them asap and spawn bust while you expand rapidly. Of course this doesn't happen very often... probably once in a blue moon for me... I just got too greedy in the opening and forgot that the Barbs can be a threat if you ignore them. In hindsight I should have expanded more and cleared the camps and let France Dow me or Dowed her after I had a few more cities up clearing the camps. I am certain the game will spawn Barbs in your area if they have space when you are rolling the AI.

just getting started, put down my capital, built a builder slinger had cleared my local area and went to settle. an encampment spawned 2 spots from my scouted city cite, and one 5 spots away from my capital. I expanded my border to quickly disperse the one encampment. I had already killed 10-15 barbarians when i took this pic... just thought it was comical how many i had around my new "empire". Playing epic, diety.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-07-11 at 3.15.56 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-07-11 at 3.15.56 PM.png
    9.3 MB · Views: 235
Part of what makes this game so replayable is the randomness of it. Don't cry when sometimes the randomness goes against you. Find a way to win beyond just playing the game 1 way. I find the barbs very historic and immersive. Starting out your civilization should be hard and challenging. I love how not knowing what to expect early on keeps me on edge and nervous. Thats one of the great things about this game. Also someone had already mentioned - they impact the AI as well, not just you.

Reactions: tzu
I still think barb activity depends on what civ you are playing as. When I play Rome barbs are raging every game, but Kongo, not so much.

just getting started, put down my capital, built a builder slinger had cleared my local area and went to settle. an encampment spawned 2 spots from my scouted city cite, and one 5 spots away from my capital. I expanded my border to quickly disperse the one encampment. I had already killed 10-15 barbarians when i took this pic... just thought it was comical how many i had around my new "empire". Playing epic, diety.
I agree, so I stuck a fork in it and made some barbo-stew. Normally if I kill a significant number of barbs (especially if I'm playing Gorgo), the spawning stops. These guys just keep coming @ the capital non-stop. Which I can't say I'm particularly upset about as they train the heavy chariots up to level 1 before heading off to the front as well as provide culture when killed.
Spoiler Barbs :
Sid Meier's Civilization VI (DX11) 7_11_2018 3_54_55 PM.png

I still think barb activity depends on what civ you are playing as. When I play Rome barbs are raging every game, but Kongo, not so much.

I don't see any evidence for barb scouts favoring civs, but differences in start bias could impact scout rate + rate at which barbs reach you after being scouted.

Coastal starts generally have less barbs just because there's less space for them to spawn. Which is good, because those suck by default without forest.

I lost a city to barbarians yesterday. That was a first for me.
I removed the camp the horses came from behind them and they just went berserk. I guess that was a mistake

I've moved up to Immortal recently and i've turned off Barbs for now. Having 4 horsemen roaming close to your cities is off putting. Though I have watched streamers play on Deity and they don't seem to have much trouble with barbs.

I think it depends, if there are no horses close to the camp you could be alright. Though if there are horses near the camp and you don't clear the camp immediately, you could be in trouble, big time.

I've moved up to Immortal recently and i've turned off Barbs for now. Having 4 horsemen roaming close to your cities is off putting. Though I have watched streamers play on Deity and they don't seem to have much trouble with barbs.

I think it depends, if there are no horses close to the camp you could be alright. Though if there are horses near the camp and you don't clear the camp immediately, you could be in trouble, big time.

For me it depends on my greed. If I get greedy and try to get into building other things rather than military first I can have huge issues with Barbs. Some games you just can't do anything if you have 2 or 3 camps next to you with horses and two scouts find you on turn 3. It is kinda rare but still happens. Anyways... get into getting up an army to clear them out and get those era points. Trying to Spawn Bust and also have camps Spawn so you can get the Era Points can be a little tricky.

On Immortal I don't think you have to worry. My last Immortal game I had more cities up and higher SPT by turn 45 compared to all Civs. However, on Deity you want that military on Pangaea Maps because you could risk getting rolled by the AI.

Top Bottom