Barbarians

bane.chris94

Chieftain
I was wondering if the barbarians attack the AI players as well as you, bc they attack me all the time.

Yeah, they do. But AIs get a 25% bonus against them, so it's not as much of a problem for them.

I was wondering if the barbarians attack the AI players as well as you, bc they attack me all the time.

Welcome to CFC!:band:

As Yoshiegg said, they sometimes eliminate the AI. In fact, one way to stack the deck is to choose raging barbarians and build the Great Wall. On large maps, barbs have been known to eliminate multiple AI's.

Handling barbs is an important part of the game. Great Wall is one way (a crutch, some would say), another is fogbusting. I do like the Great Wall, but antibarbs is only part of its power.

The more AI's you have relative to the size of the map, the less of a problem the barbs are. In fact, more AI's than normal is usually to the human's advantage, while fewer is a handicap. If you rush a nearby AI you will often have enough military afterwards for the barbs.

I always play nowadays on huge maps w/raging barbs and can say that they DO eliminate AIs on a regular basis. In a recent game, no less than THREE nearby AIs were knocked out by barbs (I later "inherited" these three capitals bfcs).

Postscript was that a monster REXed Shaka vassaled everyone on the continent and came after me. His timing was bad though--he was still fielding mostly medieval troops and I'd JUST finished upgrading everything I had to rifle/cannon/cavalry/airships. Gigantic, continent-wide war that ended suddenly with a dom vict.

A couple of years ago, I remember playing a game where a whole continent to the east was just full of barbarian cities and they killed off the English, Egyptians and Greece. And The game wasn't even on raging barbarians.

I wish I kept the save.

From what I remember it was on Noble difficulty, 15 civs, and five continents and a huge map.

Few weeks ago I had a cool game where the barbs whipped isolated Korea out. When I arrived there they had four cities and Seoul was a two religions holy city. I went Astronomy before Rifling to get Seoul but the barbs had a Macemen SOD and could recapture the city. My second invasion force was much stronger and I was able to establish a great colony of six cities before everybody else could. This economic and production powerhouse helped me a lot to win domination in the industrial/modern era.

To me, barbarians are just that extra little reminder not to neglect my early military. Plus, it is an easy way to get a handful of troops up to 10 exp without much threat of loss.

Few weeks ago I had a cool game where the barbs whipped isolated Korea out. When I arrived there they had four cities and Seoul was a two religions holy city. I went Astronomy before Rifling to get Seoul but the barbs had a Macemen SOD and could recapture the city. My second invasion force was much stronger and I was able to establish a great colony of six cities before everybody else could. This economic and production powerhouse helped me a lot to win domination in the industrial/modern era.

Barbarians whipped Wang out? :eek:

Here is a Civ4-BTS game I had just started, where, the Barbs destroyed an AI.
I popped a goody hut, and it had hostile barbs.
One attacked me, the other went west.
I popped a 2nd goody hut for a free tech.
In the meantime, the barb found the Inca's Capitol and captured it.
3700BC!
All because, the Inca's quecha wondered too far from it's Capitol to protect it, while scouting.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=371598&page=2
#32.
Strange, the forum won't let me show it a 2nd time here, but, the image is on my other post of a similar topic.

Barbarians? Always on rage:mad:!

Barbarians whipped Wang out? :eek:

This was one of the most crazy games I ever played.

I just watched the replay and probably some factors did influence the game. It was a huge fractal map, marathon speed, on Noble but no raging barbs. There were four continents and Wang was isolated on one. He got buddhism, judaism and stonehendge early. While everybody else had already 2-4 cities he still had only his capital and fell 800 BC. It was fun to find that four nice developed barb cities.
On another continent China somehow managed to lose their captial, too. Beijing was then captured by Washington and he did quite good as he was not killed in this game.
Funny again I had Ragnar, Shaka, Genghis and Sal on my continent. Shaka had a crappie start with only the capital not in the tundra. He didn't declare war in this game! Ragnar declared all the time while he fell behind in techs. First he declared on Genghis, lost one city, then on me, peace after his stack was dead, then on Shaka, Rag got one city, then again on me, just that I capitulated him with my superior force (Oromos against swords). Sal passaled to me and Shaka was friendly towards me as was Genghis most of the time.
After settling and conquering Barbkorea Domination was just too easy.

I think you missed the subtle smutty joke in my post ;)

In Civ, just like in real life, Wang can pop up anywhere.

There's also very few forums where you can devote hundreds of threads to cottaging.

EDIT: I wouldn't google that word, unless you add wiki at the end.

Strange, the forum won't let me show it a 2nd time here, but, the image is on my other post of a similar topic.
Ohhhh, the forum is set up nicely to prevent you from accidentally uploading multiple copies of the same file. The fact is that you DO NOT need to upload the file a second time. Instead, you should simply reference the image, as follows:
1. Open the attached image (the image that you uploaded in the other thread) in a new window or new tab
2. Copy the URL of the image from your web browser's Address Bar. It should look something like the following:
http ://forums.civfanatics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=258195&d=1279417895
3. When you are authoring a new message or editing an existing one, click on the Insert Image icon (). If you don't see that icon, then press the "Go Advanced" button, which will give you the full set of message-authoring icons
4. In the "Please enter the URL of your message" textbox which appears, paste the URL of the image that you copied from your web browser's address bar. Right-click in the textbox and choose the "Paste" option or just type "Ctrl + v" to paste the URL
5. Click on the OK button. The relevant IMG tags will be inserted into your message wherever you left the cursor, i.e. wherever your cursor was located in the message's body right before you clicked on the "Insert Image" icon ()
6. Finish typing your message and then press the Submit Reply button, as normal. You should see the full-sized version of the image
7. If you have a particularly large image, then insert step 2.5 between steps 2 and 3, which is to first click on the spoiler tag icon (), so that the image will appear inside of spoiler tags. Here you can see the final result of said efforts:

Spoiler :
See? I was able to reference your image and I wasn't even the one who uploaded it! ;)

By the way, it is a pretty funny circumstance, but how do you know that it was the Barb Warrior from YOUR Hut that wiped out Huayna? He could have popped his own Hut.

Also, how did you get a second City so quickly? Did you pop a prior Hut which provided a Settler? If so, that means you were likely playing on one of the two easiest difficulty levels, where the AIs' bonus against Barbs is smaller than on higher difficulty levels, which helps to explain why an AI died to Barbs so easily.

There's also very few forums where you can devote hundreds of threads to cottaging.
I didn't really catch how the topic of cottages fit into the conversation, so is it perhaps another witty, yet smutty, humour reference?

@Dhoomstriker. Easy way to find out what he meant. Google cottaging if you must, but he warned you! I confess, I did google it. Learn something new every day!:eek:

I've posted a screenshot where I captured barbarian Madrid which was Hindu, Judaism & Christian holy city. Though Isabella dealt with Aryans & survived

LOL, so much for the Aryans being the master race then ;)

Top Bottom