Battle of Wesnoth

Broken Hawk

Emperor
I stumbled across a game called Battle of Wesnoth that might be of interest to the FfH community.

http://www.wesnoth.org/

turn based strategy, fantasy theme, single and multiplayer, open source, modable, free...

It's always been floating around in the back of my head as something I should get around to playing someday, but I never get an overwhelming urge to try it. Whenever I get sick of FfH something like a new king's bounty game or elven legacy rolls around.

mmmmmmh.

i still have it bookmarked, i look at it from time to time, but I don't like the cartoony graphics.

I played it. It's pretty fun, but I've only really done it with friends on a private room. I'd imagine that a PUG might be pretty bad online. The campaigns are pretty good as well.

I think it's a great project and a game that's worth Civ IV players checking out - for me, though, it's never really "grabbed me" but it's been awhile (maybe a year or so at least) since I've played. The graphics are cartoony BUT somehow I think they fit the mood very well - I don't see Wesnoth as a [ adopts serious face ] dramatic, gritty game so the more lighthearted graphics work, imo.

Thanks for the link. Started the Heir to the Throne campaign, looks quite good so far. Similar to Warlords (as in Darklords Rising).

Wesnoth isn't that hot, I played it a little , I consider it like a downgraded SSI game (think fantasy general and the like). It's fun for some games, but not much.

The prequel of Elven Legacy was better than Wesnoth (can't remember the name), so I bet EL is too. But I payed for it... Even if I now think that not everything free is worth playing, Wesnoth is worth a try, maybe you'll get hooked by the graphics and the universe. FREE is the key word... (The rules are simplistic, too much for my liking)

Top Bottom