Battlefield Asia: The Asian answer to the Ancient Meditarrean Mod..

according to a malay-english dictionary, i found several fitting words:
warrior:
kesatria
pahlawan
panglima
pendekar
perwira

hunter:
pemburu

killer:
pembunuh

i dont know if these help, but hey, its worth a shot..

Sword_Of_Geddon said:
I guess we will come back to that later. What about Burma? What would they have for a special unit?
With my schedule it may take til the weekend, but I'll do some library research to try and see if Pagan had anything special going on militarily.

that Malay "kesatria" looks suspiciously like a localized version of the sanskrit kshatriya - name of the hindu warrior caste.

Blue Monkey said:
that Malay "kesatria" looks suspiciously like a localized version of the sanskrit kshatriya - name of the hindu warrior caste.

It is very likely that that would be the case. The early Malay mariners frequently ferried Brahmins around Southeast Asia in the Classical Period of SE Asian history.

Sword_Of_Geddon said:
That is interesting. How widespread was Sanskrit as a language anyway?
It's best to think of sanskrit in south and southeast Asia as similar to latin in medieval Europe. A few very educated people could converse in it, and it was used in official proclamations, religious texts, and artistic expressions such as plays. In that context it was used in some form or another from Gandhara (Bactria/Afghanistan) through Tibet, and down throughout se Asia and into Indonesia. But it was never a dominant everyday language the way english is today.

Actually, a lot of European languages have some relation to Sanskrit (both being under the Indo-European language family). For example, "bind" is derived from the Sanskrit word "bindhu."

Good News! got budget approval for getting a pc today: I'll be ordering it later this week; in a couple of weeks I should be up and running with a real Civ editor and get cranking on the map. In the meantime: Here's another view of the area to be considered. Note that New Guinea is cut off. My thinking that losing it also let's us lose a lot of open ocean east of Japan that would eat up map space. This shape would let us have more land mass. I compared it to the conquests map sizes. This would equate roughly to 150x150. This view includes some placenames and modern political boundaries so you can get a feel for what's covered. Let me know if I'm on the right track for what you want.

the sanskrit word Manu (like a version of Adam, the first man on the world)
gets traced all the way to our word Man. incidentaly, along the way it became Wepman (male human) which became weapon, which eventually came to mean penis, while man became the word we use now.

hehe, in some places you would anyway!

btw, do you know of a free poser japanese/chinese armour prop?

Top Bottom