Beaker overflow

intutama

Warlord
I spend quite some time on this so I thought I'd share what I learned, even if it's no game-breaker (still waiting for @WastinTime pre-1AD next update btw :lol:).
This topic is naturally open to discussion.

In short
  • It is not possible to "game" the beaker overflow, so it doesn't matter if you complete a tech with huge overflow or no overflow.
  • As a rule of thumb, it is often better to complete a tech with no overflow, as it allows you to build up your treasury until your tech rate increases (completion of science buildings, civics switches).

How beaker overflow works
On turn end, your empire's beaker production (visible in the financial advisor) is multiplied by a "prerequisite tech bonus" of +20% per prerequisite tech.
For example, when your indicated science output (your base beakers) is 100 beakers and you are researching a tech you have 2 prerequisite for, you will put 140 beakers per turn in it, as you have a +40% prerequisite tech bonus. Note: this bonus is not directly visible anywhere.

When completing a tech, the beaker overflow is converted back to base beakers by dividing the number of beakers by the prerequisite bonus for the completed tech.
Continuing the previous example, if 10 beakers are needed to complete the tech, the overflow will not be (100*1.4 - 10) = 130 beakers, but instead (100*1.4 - 10)/1.4 = 92.8 beakers.

When beaker overflow is available at the beginning of the turn, it is multiplied only by the tech prerequisite bonus for the current tech (the one which is selected when you click end turn). All others bonuses are city-related (from libraries to civics bonuses) and therefore do not impact the beaker overflow input. For example, our previous overflow of 92.8 beakers, when used for a tech for which we have 1 prerequisite, will effectively add (92.8 * 1.2) = 111 beakers.

From the 3 preceding paragraphs, it results that you cannot optimize the beaker overflow, as you cannot improve the multipliers by any means.

What else can be optimized
Since the overflow cannot be multiplied, it might be advantageous to limit the overflow to a minimum in order to accumulate as much money as possible on the turn the technology is completed. If your civilization can improve it's city-based tech bonuses (for example by building libraries), the gold accumulated by limiting the overflow can be used to sustain research at a more efficient rate.

For example, let's imagine a civ having 100 gold in the bank that can output either
  • 100 beakers and -10 gold at 100% science
    or
  • 0 beakers and 90 gold at 0% science
and researching techs for which it has 1 prerequisite (+20% bonus). The first tech is 10 beakers away for completion. A library is completed the turn afterwards, when the second tech is started.

Method 1 - full overflow
Turn 1 - the city produces 100 beakers which become 120 after the prerequisite bonus (x1.2), 10 beakers are put in the tech, the resting 110 are converted back (/1.2), 91.6 overflow to the second tech
Turn 2 - the city completes the library, and produces 125 beakers, which become 150 after the prerequisite bonus. Additionally, the overflow is multiplied by the prerequisite bonus (but not the library bonus) -> 91.6x1,2=110. The total beakers amount is 150+110 = 260.
Turn 3 to 10 - the tech gets 150 beakers per turn
Turn 11 - science has to be lowered as there is no more gold. Typically the slider is set to 0% for a turn.
The civ has now 0 gold and 1460 beakers (90 gold and 1460 beakers next turn)

Method 2 - min overflow
Turn 1 - the city produces 10 beakers at 10% science, which become 12 after the prerequisite bonus (x1.2), 10 beakers are put in the tech, the resting 2 are converted back (/1.2), 1.6 overflow to the second tech. Additionally the city makes 80 gold.
Turn 2 - the city completes the library, and produces 125 beakers at 100% science, which become 150 after the prerequisite bonus. The total beakers amount is 150+2 = 152.
Turn 3 to 10 - the tech gets 150 beakers per turn
Turn 11 - the tech gets 150 beakers.
The civ has now 70 gold and 1502 beakers (60 gold and 1652 beakers next turn)

Conclusion
While the first method (full overflow) could potentially reach the second tech a turn earlier, the second method (no overflow) is overall more effective as we end up with more beakers and money.
However as we see the gain is not due to gaming the beaker overflow (as it is not possible), but simply because we tech at 100% with a library, instead of teching earlier at a slightly worst rate.

Last edited:
I agree that the investigation is of high quality. Unfortunately the result is underwhelming:
From the 3 preceding paragraphs, it results that you cannot optimize the beaker overflow, as you cannot improve the multipliers by any means.
i.e. there is nothing to optimize.

What follows under the headline "What else can be optimized" is a proof that you should first build a library, then go full research mode. It's a good tip and has been used by many players for a long time. However, it has very little to do with the actual subject of the article, other than "finish writing with minimum overflow".

The result is indeed underwhelming. The idea was not to test if teching before/after a library is better, but instead if it's possible to somehow game the beaker overflow system for bigger gains, and as it turns out you can't. It is still good to document as reference in case anyone argues for or against completing a tech with maximum overflow or not.

PS: edited first post to make this clearer

Last edited:
Follow up question:
Does the overflow work same way with bonus for number of rivals who know the tech?

Follow up question:
Does the overflow work same way with bonus for number of rivals who know the tech?
Yes, first bonuses are ripped from the overflow beakers, then re-counted. I don't see how to exploit this mechanic.

Wow! This goes against my understanding of the game!
I learned from some guide way back in 2010-2011 (perhaps I drew some wrong conclusions) that you could gain beakers by utlizing this overflow.
I have many times delayed Pottery/Writing by a turn to maximize the multiplied overflow.

Thanks for doing the testing and straighteniing this out!

Well yes I AM interested in such matters! In fact these things are one of the reasons why I get so much enjoyment from civ4.
Thank you for the link, I was under the assumption that this level of theorycrafting in civ4 died out a long time ago, it seems there are still crazy people like myself continuing to be curious. :)

Top Bottom