Beefin up Octopus Overlords

for lanun only sea cities should give additional 50% building speed for improvements and buildings.

Ok, here's the thing. NO! Why? This is bout the OO religion, not the Lunan.

Feel free to suggest anythin and post your thoughts.

What’s the link between OO and octopuses?

How about a hidden Octopus resource that can only be used/seen by OO leaders. Gives OO leaders some sort of boost. Maybe replace incense.

If you really want to go Lovecraftian, consider a spell that summons an uncontrollable monster, not Daddy C himself, but some lesser being, who will then proceed to rampage around for a few turns. The idea would be to summon one and then get the hell out while it rains destruction on your opponent's lands and armies.

You could also do the Deep Ones as a 'naval' unit with water walking but only able to use coastal squares on land.

And a way to do madness would be a check each time a spellcaster gains a level with a chance of becoming Enraged.

If you really want to go Lovecraftian, consider a spell that summons an uncontrollable monster, not Daddy C himself, but some lesser being, who will then proceed to rampage around for a few turns. The idea would be to summon one and then get the hell out while it rains destruction on your opponent's lands and armies.

You could also do the Deep Ones as a 'naval' unit with water walking but only able to use coastal squares on land.

And a way to do madness would be a check each time a spellcaster gains a level with a chance of becoming Enraged.

I like your first idea a lot. It goes in I think. Sounds kinda like settin a timed bomb and runnin. :rockon:
As for your 2nd idea, I intend to incorporate the Deep Ones from the "Holy Warriors" modmod and credit them to the modmod's creator. I apologize, but I can't remember who made the "Holy Warriors" modmod. In fact, I think I'll jus include the whole "Holy Warriors" modmod; makes it easier.
I think your 3rd idea's pretty good. Hmm...yes. But I would like to change madness a lil so it acts kinda like a 'you piss off the unit and let em go' thing without the chance of them goin barb. Maybe make it so you can mind control enraged units, in order to prevent them goin barb, by havin a speaker within two tiles.

I have another idea for OO to make them really a pain in the neck. How about a spell or ability that puts Blood in the Water. Literally, just like what people use to attract sharks. My idea is have a priest standing in or outside territorial waters sacrifice a unit in order to attract hostile sea creatures.

I was thinking an experienced unit or slave to make it a real sacrifice and to make sure it's not used that often.

Thinking a bit more on sacrifice mechanic, I was thinkining that the sacrifice would have to be at an OO temple then it's carried as a piece of equipment on the priest for him to do his spell. We could also expand on this sacrifice piece of equipment and make it more versatile. This might be more complicated though then it's worth.

As for the spell itself, I'm not sure which monster strength would be appropriate I'm thinking sharks modified to be maybe a griffon's strength. I'm also thinking that the caster should be immobile for a set time after the cast is done.

I apologize, but I can't remember who made the "Holy Warriors" modmod. In fact, I think I'll jus include the whole "Holy Warriors" modmod; makes it easier.

*ahem*

IIRC all of the units in "Holy Warriors" are completely self contained, so far as the files needed go. Just copy the unit folders you want and leave out any you don't. The only caveats being:
1) The Order, the Veil, an the Fellowship wouldn't get UUs if you leave out the mod's Pal, "Earthmaster" and the Eid.
2) I may not be remembering correctly. :)

I like the basic idea behind "Blood in the Water", too.

*ahem*

IIRC all of the units in "Holy Warriors" are completely self contained, so far as the files needed go. Just copy the unit folders you want and leave out any you don't. The only caveats being:
1) The Order, the Veil, an the Fellowship wouldn't get UUs if you leave out the mod's Pal, "Earthmaster" and the Eid.
2) I may not be remembering correctly. :)

I like the basic idea behind "Blood in the Water", too.

Oh, sorry, you made the "Holy Warriors" modmod. Oops. Yeah, I've obviously been spendin too many late nights not drinkin nough caffeine. But tyvm.

I have another idea for OO to make them really a pain in the neck. How about a spell or ability that puts Blood in the Water. Literally, just like what people use to attract sharks. My idea is have a priest standing in or outside territorial waters sacrifice a unit in order to attract hostile sea creatures.

I was thinking an experienced unit or slave to make it a real sacrifice and to make sure it's not used that often.

Thinking a bit more on sacrifice mechanic, I was thinkining that the sacrifice would have to be at an OO temple then it's carried as a piece of equipment on the priest for him to do his spell. We could also expand on this sacrifice piece of equipment and make it more versatile. This might be more complicated though then it's worth.

As for the spell itself, I'm not sure which monster strength would be appropriate I'm thinking sharks modified to be maybe a griffon's strength. I'm also thinking that the caster should be immobile for a set time after the cast is done.

The only objection I have is it might be overpowered. Tone it down a lil and I'll certainly put some serious consideration into whether to put it into the mod. Maybe make it as powerful as say "Ring of Flames", "Tsumnami", etc. currently are in normal (unmodmoded) FfH. But I like the basic idea.

Hmm...what if Lunatics weren't HN, but were AlwaysHostile. This means that they could attack and be attacked without declaring war, but everyone knows whose they are. This tag already exists for units, and in mods including xienwolf's xml modcomp it can also be given by promotions (although the tag has a different name)

Spawning randomly could be interesting. It is probably too much for it to be a common occurance though. It could be nice if OO civs could get a random event that creates lunatics.

I really like both these ideas. I think I'll expand them a lil and add them to the modmod.

Not much of an idea perhaps but I think it would be interesting if the Overlords could somehow spread insanity to other Civs. Perhaps one could portray this with an ability that turns enemy units into barbarians? This way they pose a threat to everyone, including you, and is a power you'd use with moderation.

Not much of an idea perhaps but I think it would be interesting if the Overlords could somehow spread insanity to other Civs. Perhaps one could portray this with an ability that turns enemy units into barbarians? This way they pose a threat to everyone, including you, and is a power you'd use with moderation.

Hmm...that sounds kinda cool. Maybe I'll put it in. I'll have to think how it might affect balance issues of the modmod. Very interestin tho.

1) With OO, I could see an "invasion of the aliens" scenario, where a bunch of civs have to fight a sort of Evil Emperor Gao who has the middle of the map and the mithril.

2) Speeding up improvements and buildings. As to Lanun, does this Lanun strategy work for you?

1) With OO, I could see an "invasion of the aliens" scenario, where a bunch of civs have to fight a sort of Evil Emperor Gao who has the middle of the map and the mithril.

2) Speeding up improvements and buildings. As to Lanun, does this Lanun strategy work for you?

As to 1), well, yes, I could see that too. But I have no time for a scenario. I barely have time for this modmod.

For 2), yes, I could see that. But how does it relate to this?

I could, but I'd prefer to avoid ideas like that. I don't think they fit the spirit of wat I'm tryin to do.

I had an idea recently and I wanna know wat y'll think. I want to add some features to slavery and how slaves work. This idea will be implemented I think and will be available to ALL civs that are evil or neutral, not jus civs that choose OO as their state religion. So, read the spoiler below please and tell wat me you think.

Spoiler :
Basically, I wish you could whip slaves or somethin to make em go 3 movement instead of 2. So, I'll implement a new action for melee units called 'Slavedrive'. It's only usable when there are slaves in same tile as the respective melee unit. Also, certain disciple units for the OO (such as Drowns, Stygian Guards, Cultists, Speakers, and Deep Ones [Deep Ones are from Tarquelne's Holy Warriors modmod.]) will have this ability as well, due to OO's heavy use of slaves. (Tho, I may later decide that this ability is better suited to jus Cultists and Speakers. The reason I may decided such is that the Drowns are undead and the Stygian Guards and Deep Ones are Demons. And bein undead and demons, their masters may never call upon them to herd slaves, rather preferin them to only be on the battlefield.) I'll iron that all out soon.
This ability will be granted by a promotion, 'Slaver', which will be availabe to all Melee units, as I said. I plan to use use the spell mechanic to allow melee units with the 'Slaver' promotion to do 'Slavedrive' whenever there are slaves in the stack. This will give the slaves the promotion 'Driven' with +1 movement, makin their normal movement of 2 into 3. It will be an effect a la the same mechanic as 'Burning Blood' or 'Dance of the Blades' uses. But I haven't decided how long the effect will last. Option 1 is...the effect will last as long as the melee unit who used 'Slavedrive' is with the slaves, in which case, the melee unit's movement would go 3 as well. Option 2 is...to make it wear off after 1 turn, meanin the melee unit wouldn't have to accompany the slaves for the effect to work. I'm prolly gonna try them both and see how they work. But I want your thoughts anyway.

Now, here's my question to y'll. Which choice would you prefer? Do you think Option 1 or Option 2 would be better? Plz pick one of them and explain why you prefer it over the other one.
And plz keep it as 'constructive criticism'. I've no time for anyone who says, "Your idea sucks". I have no desire to argue and certainly feel there is no need to insult anyone. But if you think my idea sucks, tell me why in a polite manner (which means don't insult me by sayin, 'It sucks cuz it's stupid') and I will address your concerns. Thank you.

Also, jus so everyone knows, I will be spendin the next few days compilin the ideas, the ones I've decided to include, on this thread and puttin them into an easily unnerstandable format. Basically, I jus put em all in one post (the 1st post) and explain em all. I will still be acceptin new ideas, so feel free to post them. Thanks.

I actually don't think slaves (or workers) should have 2 movement anyway. My modmod will include worker promotions, so they can gain that extra movement but will start with movement 1. Still, I like the idea of a slave driving spell. I'd make it increase the movement rate and the work rate (not possible without a xienwolf modcomp-derived DLL), but have a chance to kill the slave. I don't think it should be limited to melee units casting it either. I'd probably make the promotion have about a 75% chance of wearing off, instead of using either option 1 or 2

Oh, and just so you know you can only give promotions through xml only spells to units with unitcombats. You would have to create a unitcombat_slave for this to work, or else use python.

Ok, I'll have to create it then. (Note to self: Make unitcombat_slave.) I know it's been done cuz there's a modmod for FfH (can't remember wat it's called or who made it) that has worker promotions. It's quite a nifty modmod, but a lot of the time I found it annoyin cuz I didn't wanna take the time to promote my workers.

Well, anyway, thanks a lot, man. Knowin that makes it easier.

Top Bottom