Best movie of the 80's

*In before someone points out that the '80's didn't start until 1981*

Um, but the 80s did start in 1980, as they are the decade numbered as 1980-something. If we were talking about "the 199th decade" it would be another matter but nobody's talking about that. (In many parts of the world it is also usual to speak of centuries as, for example, "the nineteen hundreds" instead of or alongside "the twentieth century" -- those two terms each define a 100-year period, but not exactly the same one, as "the nineteen hundreds" indeed begins with the year 1900 and ends with 1999.)

Uh-Oh!

All units, stand bye for thread divergence!

In three, two, one...

A pity, if you had asked me about the 1970's I would have been able to say Zardoz and use this picture:

Or I might have said Apocalypse Now and quoted Kilgore saying "I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like [sniffing] victory. Someday this war's gonna end..."

But alas, because you asked about the 1980's I can't talk about either of those. So I'll just have to say it's tied between Blade Runner, Indiana Jones and Star Wars (but not Edit:Goddammit.... Return of the Jedi, screw those teddy bears).

In no particular order:

Raiders of the Lost Ark.
Bladerunner.
The Empire Strikes Back.
Die Hard.
Aliens.
And The Princess Bride is still amazing even today.

Oh, and btw, ACE...the 'teddy bears' as you call them were in 'Return of the Jedi' Not the 'Empire Strikes Back'. You get a big fat zero re: Star Wars Trivia.

Another great one missing from that list: Batman (1989) with Michael Keaton as the Bat and Jack Nicholson as The Joker.

Yeah, Charlotte Rampling was hot in those days. But she, and Beethovin's 7th synphony were the only good things about that weird Boorman movie.

Anti-derailing:

Yeah, the 80s were indeed a pretty good time for movies, particularly American ones. It was when the big-budget action blockbuster grew up and before it devolved into self-parody. Kids these days can't really understand what it was like to walk into a movie theater in 1988 (or it might have been 1989 by the time it made it here) and see the first Die Hard movie with absolutely no foreknowledge other than "it's supposed to be good", and then proceed to be blown away. Or maybe that's nostalgia talking because I also grew up in the 80s and watched a ton of then-current movies (and I've seen, like, 26 or 27 out of the 30 listed in the OP).

Where is Wargames in this list?

In any case I choose any from Indiana Jones, Empire strikes back and Blade Runner, in no particular order

Star Wars ftw. I've watched very few movies from the 80s though tbh.

1: Blade Runner.
2: Aliens
3: The Terminator
4: Indiana Jones and the Raiders

? A night in New York???, one of the creepiest movies ever. Can't remember much, but the guy walks around in town, meeting statuettes with real ppl in them, plastered in and other freaky stuff. I'm thinking Jeff Goldblum, but can't be sure. After his all night out, he is packed in a van or something, and dropped outside his house.

Any twinkling ideas about this movie?

Searched for movies of the 80's. Out of some list I picked:

Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back
Back to the Future
Batman
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
Platoon
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Ghostbusters
The Untouchables

Escape from New York! Snake Plisken!

One of my 50-list, don't know where it fits in.

But the movie I'm talking about, is a guy that walks out in the evening, meets some strange neighbours, including the artist girl with plastered real people, can't really remember much more and I only saw this movie once on TV.

Been trying to find it, but with my little information it seem impossible. The only things I remember now, are those plastered mannekins and how he got thrown out from the van in the morning, outside his house.

I have a faint idea of a whore, that is not willing. But that story in itself was crazy, and I forgot!

I don't think we will find this movie here, and sorry for hijacking this post.

1: Blade Runner.
2: Aliens
3: The Terminator
4: Indiana Jones and the Raiders

? A night in New York???, one of the creepiest movies ever. Can't remember much, but the guy walks around in town, meeting statuettes with real ppl in them, plastered in and other freaky stuff. I'm thinking Jeff Goldblum, but can't be sure. After his all night out, he is packed in a van or something, and dropped outside his house.

Any twinkling ideas about this movie?

Speaking of Jeff Goldblum, I like his version of the Fly released in the 80's.

and Escape from New York?

Little Shop of Horrors

The Naked Gun: From the Files of Police Squad!

SpaceBall

History of the World: Part I

Police Academy

Tron

Elvira: Mistress of the Dark

Highlander

¡Three Amigos!

WallStreet

Blue Thunder

Airwolf

FireFox

just to name some missing

Every American who failed to put Red Dawn in their list loses all 80s cred!

Top Bottom