Votes: 33 6.7%
  • Civ IV

Votes: 7 1.4%
  • Civ IV + Expansions

Votes: 256 51.7%
  • Civ V

Votes: 151 30.5%

• Total voters
Now that Civ 5 is out, I thought it would be fun to have a poll regarding which version of Civilization is the best of all time.

Please vote for whichever version you think would be the best if it were released today, without making allowances for the time each game was released.

Civ 2 by far, no other Civ game gave me the same sense of wonder, awe and power.

Civ 5 is a close second though. Then Civ 3, then Civ 4.

Too soon to judge.

The true test of 5 will be the modding tools, but so far its looking good.

I voted for 5. I see that I'm the only one. It may be a bit vanilla now but all the tools are there for expansion and modding so this will definitely beat out all the old ones in the end.

I had the luck of playing it while growing up, so it probably shaped the themes I love in entertainment immensely. I'd always choose something wondrous and epic and seemingly infinite like Civ over the latest action movie.

I voted for 5. I see that I'm the only one. It may be a bit vanilla now but all the tools are there for expansion and modding so this will definitely beat out all the old ones in the end.

I agree with you completely. I'm so used to Civ4 and all it's expansions and mods, it's tough to compare 5 yet. As a mere player, I'm thankful for all the guys out there who do mod. Of all the PC games I've ever had Civ has survived. I still love it and play it regularly.

If it wasn't obvious I was a huge fan of Civ IV + BTS, and a pretty big fan of Vanilla Civ IV (and Civ 1 and 2 back in the day.) I am trying to like Civ V, but it's hard. There isn't a lot I like in Civ V that I like better than Civ IV, and plenty of things that I like they took out.

In addition, the new features that seemed promising in Civ V, like the combat system and city states are crippled because they were implemented so poorly.

Too early for me to vote. I loved civ3, stopped gaming for a while and then got civ4+expansions so never played civ4 without em.

I'm not liking civ5 as much as I thought I would right now. civ4+expansions is epic in my books but have to give civ5 time to get better. A few bugs I can deal with but I just want spies back in play :(

This should have been a multiple-choice poll. Civ IV + BTS and Civ V are equally fun for me.

As it currently stands, Civ4+BTS. In a few months, barring some mishandling by Firaxis, it'll be Civ5.

I agree wholeheartedly. But as far as when I played it Civ 2 was like "blam kerpowee whoosh omgamazingholysh*thahahaha." Although now it's mostly a nostalgic game, as opposed to fun. Like Starcraft 1, Putt Putt, or Half-life 1.

Write in Vote: SMAC

If I have to choose right now I'm really digging the core changes to V but it needs plenty of polish and work.... On the other hand I'm about as burnt out on IV as I can be...

So I choose Civ II out of nostalgia. I miss wonder movies and advisers that are actually worth watching.

Didn't Start playing Civ until III, but as far as Im concerned, the quality goes in order with the series

5 is better than 4 is better than 3.

I LOVE the new combat system, on the harder difficulties when you get outteched its fun to try to repel a much larger force, or figure out how to break into a place that has better tech....

And no more AI Stack of Doom...

Sure, the AI could use some polish, but Im happy with my purchase and have really done nothing for the past week besides, work, sleep and play Civ 5...

I would stay to argue but Im going to play another game.

Civ V (thanks to refined combat) then III then I then IV. Sadly I never played II.

Top Bottom