Better Dynamic Names Mod (BDNM)

Coptic is Greek-influenced:
wikipedia said:
The Coptic alphabet is the script used for writing the Coptic language. The repertoire of glyphs is based on the Greek alphabet augmented by letters borrowed from the Demotic and is the first alphabetic script used for the Egyptian language. There are, in fact, several Coptic alphabets as the Coptic writing system may vary greatly among the various dialects and subdialects of the Coptic language.

Also, I'm going to add Phoenicia (Carthage) next. I'm going to give them Hebrew names, as it's the closest surviving relative to the Phoenician language.

The Carthaginian language was deciphered and resurrected in the late 17th century, thanks to Monsieur Jean-Jacques Barthélemy. Therefor we have Punic transliterations into English. This is of particular interest.

Do your homework please.

The Carthaginian language was deciphered and resurrected in the late 17th century, thanks to Monsieur Jean-Jacques Barthélemy. Therefor we have Punic transliterations into English. This is of particular interest.

Do your homework please.

Blast! You've foiled my plot to influence this mod with insidious Jewish propaganda! :mischief:
On the other hand, there's no way I'm spending $400 on a book just so I can add more historical accuracy to RFC, but I most certainly will see if I can use actual punic names for Carthage.

Blast! You've foiled my plot to influence this mod with insidious Jewish propaganda! :mischief:
On the other hand, there's no way I'm spending $400 on a book just so I can add more historical accuracy to RFC, but I most certainly will see if I can use actual punic names for Carthage.

:lol:

No, I'm not expecting you to buy a 400 dollar book. But look into the possibility of adding legit Punic names.

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, VERSION 0.3

No Egyptian names this time either...

But I DID finish off both the Aztecs and the Inca for this update. Of course, translating literally into Nahuatl and Quechua respectively was nearly impossible, and I had to cut corners in a lot of cases, so some of the names are...odd :cringe:

But it's better than nothing, and now I can start looking at the Phoenicians. Also...

Have fun.​

Spoiler :
Changelog for 0.3:
  1. Minor change to English dynamic names
  2. Added Incan and Aztec dynamic names

:lol: Airstrip One. i like it :smoke:

SO HERE'S VERSION 0.4

I added Ethiopia.

Yeah.

DAMMIT ONE OF THESE DAYS EGYPT WILL HAVE COPTIC NAMES. GET MAD! MAKE EGYPT RUE THE DAY IT THOUGHT IT COULD GIVE CAVE JOHNSON LEMONS!​

Never mind. I actually lost the text file, so no Babylon yet. Sorry.

Hello, and thanks for this modmod - I'm really enjoying it. Can I just add one opinion though:

Using the word Aztec (or Aztecatl) as the civ name is the equivalent to calling China or Japan "Asia". The word Aztec is a label that was given by the Europeans to all the peoples in what is now Mexico. It comes from the fact that the majority of the people in this part of the world had descended from the people of Aztlan, or Aztecatl. These people however no longer existed by the arrival of Europeans (Or the Aztec spawn in RFC).

The correct name for the civ in the game is Mexica. (Mexica is plural, Mexicatl is the singular word).

Their own name for their empire however was "Cem-Anahuac", which translates literally as "The One World". In fact, when Mexican independence was first heading towards independence, the original name chosen for the country was "Anahuac" in reference to this. In the end they instead decided to use part of the name of the Mexica capital, "Mexico-Tenochtitlan"

Also, and I know I'm harping on now because I've bought this up in these forums countless times before and no-one seems to care, but the closest phonetic spelling of their leader's name in English would be Motecuhzoma. The spelling "Montezuma" comes from the fact that many Nahuatl were pronounced incorrectly by the Spanish and their spelling stuck.

As you can see they're a bit of an interest of mine..

With 'Qin guo', did you use that as a translation of 'China'? 'Zhongguo' (no space) is a better translation.

Hello, and thanks for this modmod - I'm really enjoying it. Can I just add one opinion though:

Using the word Aztec (or Aztecatl) as the civ name is the equivalent to calling China or Japan "Asia". The word Aztec is a label that was given by the Europeans to all the peoples in what is now Mexico. It comes from the fact that the majority of the people in this part of the world had descended from the people of Aztlan, or Aztecatl. These people however no longer existed by the arrival of Europeans (Or the Aztec spawn in RFC).

The correct name for the civ in the game is Mexica. (Mexica is plural, Mexicatl is the singular word).

Their own name for their empire however was "Cem-Anahuac", which translates literally as "The One World". In fact, when Mexican independence was first heading towards independence, the original name chosen for the country was "Anahuac" in reference to this. In the end they instead decided to use part of the name of the Mexica capital, "Mexico-Tenochtitlan"

Also, and I know I'm harping on now because I've bought this up in these forums countless times before and no-one seems to care, but the closest phonetic spelling of their leader's name in English would be Motecuhzoma. The spelling "Montezuma" comes from the fact that many Nahuatl were pronounced incorrectly by the Spanish and their spelling stuck.

As you can see they're a bit of an interest of mine..

Yeah the new world civs were really hard. I'll make this change in the next update when I get around to it.

With 'Qin guo', did you use that as a translation of 'China'? 'Zhongguo' (no space) is a better translation.

It's supposed to represent the Qin Dynasty.

It's supposed to represent the Qin Dynasty.

Well, since what you write as 'Qin guo' lasts many dynasties in time, I'd change it to Zhongguo, as that's what Rhye writes it as ('Middle Country [zhongguo] of China').

So in your OP it says that this is compatible with Synthesis. This isn't true anymore, that should be noted.

So in your OP it says that this is compatible with Synthesis. This isn't true anymore, that should be noted.

Balls. Well I'll update it if I ever get around to it. For now, I'll just fix the OP I guess.

Is this mod ever going to be finished? I'd like to add a finished product to my RFC game.

@Linkman or Leoreth
Will you add this to your respective mods anytime soon?

No. It's fine as an additional option (wouldn't it be possible to release it modular?), but I think it's too confusing most of the time. I mean, what good is a name change when you don't understand both the previous and the new name?

I didn't know anyone still actively followed this mod, tbh. Anyway, a few things about the status of the mod:

1. It is complete for 600AD more or less, since the Egyptians, Mayans, etc won't be around anymore. Other than random respawns, the exception is the Mali, who I've had no luck finding dynamic names for. On the other hand, since they always vassalize in the games that I play, I might just be able to add their vassal names and be done with it.
  2. After playing through a few games with this installed, I realize it is actually pretty confusing, unless you already know what the original names are supposed to be.
  3. If I ever do finish this, it will be after my China story is done. Like I said though, being in college has given me a lot less time for civ, especially with my slower computer. I would like to finish this eventually, but I just don't know when it's going to happen.

Top Bottom