Better than Winston Churchill?

hoopeskt2

Chieftain
When you finish a game, you can see your rank by going to...well, rank. The highest I've gotten is fourth place, I think. Winston Churchill is the number one leader. What does it take to beat him out? Has anyone done it?

When you finish a game, you can see your rank by going to...well, rank. The highest I've gotten is fourth place, I think. Winston Churchill is the number one leader. What does it take to beat him out? Has anyone done it?

You'd have to be on diety or emperor (I think higher difficulty gives you extra points), you have to have A LOT of cities, each with A LOT of population, make sure you have plenty of the wonders, discovered most if not all of the artifacts, have a high culture output from each city, and make sure that each city has a high output of gold or science, whichever it is you have it on, make sure you have a lot of great people, make sure your borders are high, you're people have to be sophisticated, and learn all techs. Future Technology gives you bonus points.

It really doesn't take that much. In my earlier games I never built any wonders (well, Trading Company and Collosus) and finished at Tanks (Deity). And I certainly didn't have sophisticated culture...

i dont pay much attention to the rank as for me it seems to do with your tech level and overall positions in all of the races. im pretty sure you can get top rank on any difficulty if you have all techs and lead all 4 victory types at the end, any time ive got a tech victory ive received top rank, where as when ive won quickly im awarded around the 4th or 5th rank......

You'd have to be on diety or emperor (I think higher difficulty gives you extra points), you have to have A LOT of cities, each with A LOT of population, make sure you have plenty of the wonders, discovered most if not all of the artifacts, have a high culture output from each city, and make sure that each city has a high output of gold or science, whichever it is you have it on, make sure you have a lot of great people, make sure your borders are high, you're people have to be sophisticated, and learn all techs. Future Technology gives you bonus points.

You dont have to be on diety or emperor to get to Churchill. I've gotten Churchill several times playing on warlord, usualy after winning a cultural victory or spacerace victory. You also have a better chance the later you wait to win the game, so its pretty hard to get on a domination victory.

Are you serious... That's the only way I can ever get to Churchhill -_-'

I just finished a game on Emperor with Ghandi. Won Space Race but took every other city but Washington. I finished above Winston, but am not sure what exactly I did to do that. I did finish late (2004) because I was screwing around a little bit instead of switching everything to tech when I had the game under control.

I've only gotten above Churchill twice, and both times I was losing until the late game and then I came back and won Domination victories (Deity Level). I don't know if the come from behind victory gives more points, but every other game I win where I am leading from start to finish I usually end up #3 or 4 in rank.

I've only gotten above Churchill twice, and both times I was losing until the late game and then I came back and won Domination victories (Deity Level). I don't know if the come from behind victory gives more points, but every other game I win where I am leading from start to finish I usually end up #3 or 4 in rank.

to beat churchill you need to goto the end of the game, i dont think you can be better than churchill with a win in the 1700 for example, for this reason I dont a pay any attention to it.........

I have beaten churchill, i played a game on king level and played it right to the end 2100AD.
I could of won alot earlier, but i just left an opponents capital city surrounded by tanks and completed all the wonders etc, and had massive gold reserves.
Im tired and i think im talking rubbish. :confused:
Hope this helps

I have no actual knowledge of the scoring but it seems similar to versions in other Civ games, you can get #1 in any difficulty I suspect and I've gotten it as low as Warlord.

Anyway, I imagine such things as population, territory owned, wonders built and tech researched are high on the scoring. There is also a difficulty factor as well as a speed (winning before the end). But the speed isn't really all that high so milking a game is a better way to get top honors. For what its worth, and its seemingly nothing since no leaderboard is saved.

I'm not sure how culture or gold or city quality might be scored but at the least culture plays a part in capturing more territory as the city borders expand as culture production increases. You could just build more cities on unused land an achieve the same effect.

Got it again last night on Emperor. I really think it is because I am pretty slow compared to some of the folks and my games end around 1950AD or so usually. Plus I max out my economy and buy every thing I can, once things are under control.

I just had a cultural victory on emperor around 1960AD and that got me the top spot. Most of my cities had the full contingent of cultural buildings, I did pretty well in the wonders category, and I had beaten 3 of my 4 opponents back so that they only had 1 or 2 cities left.

So it pretty much looks like any late game victory where you have a decent number of built up cities should do the trick.

I once got 1st place on Emperor by preforming a Conquest as Germany. Maybe it helped my score that all of the other civs were eliminated? Maybe it was because I had over double the techs that the last civ had:)

I once got 1st place on Emperor by preforming a Conquest as Germany. Maybe it helped my score that all of the other civs were eliminated? Maybe it was because I had over double the techs that the last civ had:)

I just recently did the same with aztecs on deity. When I had conquered everybody with artillery and tanks, all other civs still had pikemen and archers and legions. In other words my tech was overwhelmingly advanced. I took over all cities for fun before I deleted the last capital. I won in 1800s. I did not end up on top of the ranks.

To win on top of the ranks you have to be close to winning on all conditions and you need to do it very late in the game to have cities that have basically all buildings and improvements. I think I played this game better than any earlier win on deity or lower difficulties when I've won in ~2050 and just a few turns away winning on all dimensions.

It is a power/size game to be top of the ranks and not a rating on how well you played the game.

I just recently did the same with aztecs on deity. When I had conquered everybody with artillery and tanks, all other civs still had pikemen and archers and legions. In other words my tech was overwhelmingly advanced. I took over all cities for fun before I deleted the last capital. I won in 1800s. I did not end up on top of the ranks.

To win on top of the ranks you have to be close to winning on all conditions and you need to do it very late in the game to have cities that have basically all buildings and improvements. I think I played this game better than any earlier win on deity or lower difficulties when I've won in ~2050 and just a few turns away winning on all dimensions.

It is a power/size game to be top of the ranks and not a rating on how well you played the game.

Don't you need to play the game well to achieve power/size?

I guess the reason I won in frist on my German game is was because I was focusing my main strategy on how much produciton I could get early game, so I pretty much built a lot of wonders. I ended up will 100 hammers and amost 24 pop. and most of my other cities were good but they did not have all improvements or anything like that. So when I won (sometime before 1900, I am not sure) I had ten cultural achievments, three stolen people and seven wonders, less than 100 gold in my treasery, and I had just finished the study of Combustion (My elite knight armies were sitting right next to my last city just waiting to upgrade into tanks, soI won on that same turn)

So in other words I was high in conquest, average in culture, and low in economic and spacerace(relativly)

OH, and by the way, what version do you have, it might effect the scoring system. I play the DS;)

OH, and by the way, what version do you have, it might effect the scoring system. I play the DS;)

I play on the PS3. No clue if that has anything to do with it.

Regarding the rest of what you wrote, yes of course you need to play well to be strong, but I prefer nowadays (compared to earlier) to try to win as quick as possible along one strat rather than "just" building up my civ. AND a quick win in any of the dimensions is usually not rewarded in the scoring system. It is easier to get a good scoring when winning late in the game and with most things done.

Regarding the rest of what you wrote, yes of course you need to play well to be strong, but I prefer nowadays (compared to earlier) to try to win as quick as possible along one strat rather than "just" building up my civ. AND a quick win in any of the dimensions is usually not rewarded in the scoring system. It is easier to get a good scoring when winning late in the game and with most things done.

I play just to create the most powerful civilization no matter what it takes, and if I happen to stumble across victory conditions, I go for it.

being better than Winston Churchill isn't that hard
I get it maybe 40% of the time
The key is time itself, and it usually takes a lot of it
In order to be the best you generally have to win in more than one way
difficulty I don't think matters too much
but what I ALWAYS do for fun when Owning everyone else is try to time everything just right so I win more than one way at once
for instance, set the production on two cities perfectly so one makes the World Bank and the other makes The United Nations and at the same Time I have a ship landing on that same turn, and I have the last capital surrounded and ready to take at my pleasing
It takes a lot of coordination, but generally if you have like 20,000$ and you win a domination victory you should be able to beat Churchill, who I agree is the best leader. ever.

That is a nice way to win. Coordinating everything so that you win 4 victories at once. That should have been an achievement on 360 ;)

Top Bottom