Betting and Speculation - The "Entirely Separate Hypercube" Civ!

I don't know, now that you mention it. It could be that they wanted to be vague about the last two civs and just were saying that if what you want to know is whether there will be another Euro civ of the remaining unrevealed civs, the answer is yes. They are clearly getting off on being enigmatic about this for whatever reason. You can see that just in how they started off the response by teasing about what exactly is a European civ. I still expect that only Venice will be a Euro civ of the final two, but now that I re-read it, it's a less definite statement than I first thought.

I think mobile cities for an NA tribe is more "hypercubed" than most others offered.

Or my theory that cities can be built on mountains ;)

I think mobile cities for an NA tribe is more "hypercubed" than most others offered.

Or my theory that cities can be built on mountains ;)

It's bugging me, but your signature is just the preamble, there I said it whew!

Oh, and if it's Venice or an NA civ I don't care. I just hope they don't put some sci/fi bs in there like the transformers, unicorns, or the sesame street civ. As long as its fun I'm happy.

It's bugging me, but your signature is just the preamble, there I said it whew!

Oh, and if it's Venice or an NA civ I don't care. I just hope they don't put some sci/fi bs in there like the transformers, unicorns, or the sesame street civ. As long as its fun I'm happy.

Of course, but it's still a part of the Constitution. I can't have the entire Constitution as my signature ;)

I doubt we'd get fictional civs, but we would get something more on the line of a civilization with a very unique aspect that makes it "hypercubed"

Of course, but it's still a part of the Constitution. I can't have the entire Constitution as my signature ;)

I doubt we'd get fictional civs, but we would get something more on the line of a civilization with a very unique aspect that makes it "hypercubed"

Lol. You Americans and your written constitutions. "Real countries" remember their constitutions off by heart. :D

Ok, I'll say it again: Venice with a canal UI.

Or a NA tribe with the ability to move its palace. Thus changing the original capital at the player/AI's whim. or the could go the RoN idea and have "invisible borders''

Moving the Palace was a possibility in the first 4 civ games, so hardly an "Entirely Separate Hypercube".

I seriously think it is being able to found a city in coastal water if Venice is indeed the civ.

UA

Floating City - Cities can be founded on any coastal tile after embarkation is discovered.

I don't think the European civ is the hypercube civ. While cool, and a little outside of the box, settling off the coast is hardly an entirely separate hypercube. That being said, I think it would be awesome if Venice can settle off the coast.

I don't think the European civ is the hypercube civ. While cool, and a little outside of the box, settling off the coast is hardly an entirely separate hypercube. That being said, I think it would be awesome if Venice can settle off the coast.

They would be the first civ to do so, completely changing the norms of where a civ can found cities. It would also not break any game mechanics, which many of the other suggestions would.

I think cities on coastal or mountains is the most likely choice by far. Mobile cities breaks the game too much, no borders does too etc

You have to keep in mind that while the civ is "entirely separate hypercube" it still needs to be able to exist with the other ones in the current game mechanics.

I'm think the hypercube comment was more of a hint at the civ, similar to the most serene comment was. But they did say it will play like no civ ever has before.

Whereas I expect "hypercube" was just Kate playing off the phrase "outside the box". She was just saying that one of the new civs is more "outside the box" than any other civ has been before, like it's so far outside the box it needs a wacky four-dimensional box all its own. It was PR-speak for "it's designed in a way that's radically different from the design of any other civ", not a direct hint about what the civ actually is.

Whereas I expect "hypercube" was just Kate playing off the phrase "outside the box". She was just saying that one of the new civs is more "outside the box" than any other civ has been before, like it's so far outside the box it needs a wacky four-dimensional box all its own. It was PR-speak for "it's designed in a way that's radically different from the design of any other civ", not a direct hint about what the civ actually is.

I agree. And "outside the box" could mean anything. It could just mean the devs think the civ's abilities are pretty cool, but not gamechanging. Or it could mean we get something really really strange. We don't know. Unlike the "most serene" comment, which really could've only had one reasonable association, "hypercube" doesn't say anything.

Floating cities for a Venetian civ would be unrealistic (none of the Venetian colonies were built on piers) and hardly "outside the box" in terms of game functionality. What would be so would be a civ that had the ability to move its city equivalents; or a civ that had a special "piracy" trait that allowed, say, certain UU's to convert enemy units and cities over time, barbarians included. I say this because no one has yet posited a "Pirate Civ" such as existed in the Caribbean for a number of years, and in the Mediterranean as well.

Corsairs are covered by the Ottoman UA, which is a shame since Corsairs have a bigger claim to a pirate civilization than Caribbean pirates.

Corsairs are covered by the Ottoman UA, which is a shame since Corsairs have a bigger claim to a pirate civilization than Caribbean pirates.

If they want to make the Barbary Corsairs UA more historically accurate, they should change it from converting barbarian ships to receiving double or triple gold from pirating(pillaging) sea trade routes (or tie it into diplomacy somehow). The history of the Barbary Corsairs is all about countries paying off Algiers and Tripoli so they'd ignore their merchant ships. Inability to pay (or desire not to pay) these bribes is what directly led to the creation of the United States Navy.

I suspect people are casting too far afield for concepts. All new civs are "outside the box" in that they don't play like anything else. The "hypercube" comment is clearly a hyperbolic statement. The civ will probably be just a little more different than the typical civ from whatever the established norm is.

I really don't expect that it will deviate too far from the established mechanics, as this would cause significant difficulties in balancing the game.

And "hypercube" does not necessarily imply "bombshell". To me the bombshell implies highly effective use of existing mechanics, while the hypercube has a unique way of exploiting mechanics that hasn't been seen before. One could be a bombshell while the other can be the hypercube.

I think Venice will be the bombshell.

and I think the NA civ will be the hypercube. I'm still pretty proud of this concept for a NA hypercube:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=12494576&postcount=568

In the first QA I am pretty sure Kate said there will be one final European civ.

maybe i'm mistaken, but i don't think kate (Ga1Friday) is answering the questions. she is collecting the questions and passing them on to the BNW developers and then posting the Q&As.

Top Bottom