Betting and Speculation - The "Entirely Separate Hypercube" Civ!

Hypercubes are not necessarily 4+ dimensional. Squares and lines are also hypercubes. Clearly the civ must settle cities along a straight line.

Hypercubes are not necessarily 4+ dimensional. Squares and lines are also hypercubes. Clearly the civ must settle cities along a straight line.

Actually, the square and line would be hypocubes, because they are less than a cube. Hypercubes can only be those of 4+ dimensions as those are greater than the cube.

http://www.dailywritingtips.com/hyper-and-hypo/

Actually, the square and line would be hypocubes, because they are less than a cube. Hypercubes can only be those of 4+ dimensions as those are greater than the cube.

http://www.dailywritingtips.com/hyper-and-hypo/
I can see your logic but that kind of prescriptive stuff simply doesn't apply to technical mathematical terms generally. In mathematics any object that is 'cube-like' in n-dimensions is precisely classified as an n-dimensional hypercube, including the cases where n = 1 or 2 (and sometimes 0, i.e. a point).

It might not make complete etymological sense but for mathematicians it would seem pretty pointless to have the distinct 'hypocubes' and 'hypercubes' classifications when they're basically the same kind of objects over different ranges of n. It's easier to just call them all 'hypercubes'. A lot of mathematical terminology is a bit screwy, for instance an 'open' set can be 'closed'.

:eek2:
...is this even about Civilization anymore?

Hypercube. If it was 4th dimensional, we would not be able to veiw it.

Well, I think that's technically just an approximation of it in 3-dimensions (technically 2 dimensions) so we can see it. It's just like how this is an approximation of a cube, but it's only two dimensions so it can't actually be one.

Yes, technically hypercube means any n-dimensional cube analogue.

Common parlance, though, it's usually used to refer to a tesseract.

You guys when did the conversation about the new super civ end?

This thread has transcended into another dimension.

So we're all agreed, the new Civ must settle in some sort of hybercubic formation and when it does so the volume bounded within become's part of the Civ's territory.

You guys when did the conversation about the new super civ end?

Let's pull it back.

Venice fits with purple. The doge of Venice was followed by people carrying purple flags, I do believe, and it's not hard to imagine how they could be...just totally different. At their height, Venice was basically the money of Europe, a more-than-decent military force, and a massive amount of culture.

The question would be how to make them totally different without 20 lines for their UA.

However, it fits the color and the alphabet.

However, more than the civ, I think the bigger interest is what makes it different.

Going about it civ first is logical, but only if you can figure out the civ.

What would make the Rooftrellen civ an entirely separate hypercube? You know nothing about the people, the history, the strengths...but you must have ideas about what could make them different.

Also, likely, it's a small change that will drastically change HOW you play the civ, rather than a huge change to the civ itself.

You all are focusing too much on the word hypercube. Look back at the original post. There are about 30 other words whose definitions should be debated. Possibly each in their own thread.

:p

The new civ is the Borg.

UA - Assimilates any unit attacked (not defeated, just attacked), Captured cities are assimilated (doesn't need a courthouse and is instantly out of rebellion).
UU - Borg Cube strength 2000, range strength 3000 and can reach any tile on the map in one move via its transwarp drive.
UB - Assimilation chamber - Spawns a new Borg Cube every 5 turns.

They said that it was "outside of the hypercube." Maybe it means they're finally coming out.....as in San Francisco is the new civ.

Seriously though, I don't understand this "alphabet theory." How do we theorize they're between Zulu and the other guy?

Seriously though, I don't understand this "alphabet theory." How do we theorize they're between Zulu and the other guy?

A while ago the steam achievements were released. Just like in Gods and Kings, the achievements related to civs (i.e. "Win XXX victory as XXX") were listed in alphabetical order of the civs (So Assyria's came first, then Brazil's, etc). It was also determined that the "The" in civs that had it (i.e. "The Ottomans," "The Zulus," etc.) was not counted alphabetically as this was how it worked with Gods and Kings' achievements. With that in mind, we get the following:

Assyria
Brazil
Indonesia
Morocco
Poland
Portugal
Unknown
Unknown

Zulus

How about this "hypercube" civ able to move domestic units through other civ's territory without open borders? And to top it, any military unit stacked with it?

Top Bottom