Biggest MP Challenge: cIV Champions League

Back in the C3C heyday we(Civ3players ladder) did run serveral Nations Cup's, which was similar to the Clan Championship Cup, but ofcourse the teams were divided along national or regional lines. We haven't run one for Civ4 yet, as Civ4 is still developing, but I'd imagine we will run one around our one year anniversary.

CS

CanuckSoldier said:
Sorry since I don't read polish I wasn't aware that you had set up a statistics league as well, gl with that too. You can not like simutaeous moves because they are "RTS-like" but I've played RTS games and Civ is still far from those, and if we played turn based, a 7 player cton/ffa could now take 21 hrs instead of 4 hrs, not very practical.
CS
True, however we do not play games with 7 players, because it's not showing who's the best player only who's the most lucky player :) We play different kind of games, but we count towards our ranking only games played 1 vs 1 or teamers with equal count of teammates: 2 vs 2, 3 vs 3 etc. Then you have something you may compare and that's the idea of ranking.
Here's football analogy, that was used by one of our clubmates: could you imagine Brasil playing football on a football pitch which is not flat, with 7 gates and 7 balls? Do you think that Brasil may win such event? Or maybe that 6 other teams will gang up and score 6 goals? :)
Of course beside ranking games we also play FFA games, it is also intersting option, but only for fun, not for judging who's the best player.
About RTS - I really don't like the idea "who's the first one to jump into that forest on a hill" or sending reinforcement to city during my attack or double move and many other things that are used in ctons as a normal thing. I know that there is no way to eliminate it in ctons, but I do not acept this kind of game.
Back to the main subject - if you are interested in starting in this event, sign up for international qualifications, which I think are still open.

ldeska said:
True, however we do not play games with 7 players, because it's not showing who's the best player only who's the most lucky player :) We play different kind of games, but we count towards our ranking only games played 1 vs 1 or teamers with equal count of teammates: 2 vs 2, 3 vs 3 etc. Then you have something you may compare and that's the idea of ranking.
Here's football analogy, that was used by one of our clubmates: could you imagine Brasil playing football on a football pitch which is not flat, with 7 gates and 7 balls? Do you think that Brasil may win such event? Or maybe that 6 other teams will gang up and score 6 goals? :)
Of course beside ranking games we also play FFA games, it is also intersting option, but only for fun, not for judging who's the best player.
About RTS - I really don't like the idea "who's the first one to jump into that forest on a hill" or sending reinforcement to city during my attack or double move and many other things that are used in ctons as a normal thing. I know that there is no way to eliminate it in ctons, but I do not acept this kind of game.
Back to the main subject - if you are interested in starting in this event, sign up for international qualifications, which I think are still open.

Yes, the international qualification takes place on Sunday, September 17.
Invited are all players around the world and if quaified, the players play for their country, their flag...

ldeska said:
Well, i played only 15-17 ctons (FFA/always war/130 turns) in a case's ladder. The rest are several duels and many teamers. Noone forces you to play ctons if you don't like them. Ctons aren't competitive anyway. Good players win ctons with ease (so luck doesn't really matter). We saw 110+ win streaks that were stopped by only other good players. Also, Tommynt won all Ironman games but one (ffa/always war/no time limit) that he played in a Clan Championsip Cup (i think 5 out of 6), including 2 out of 2 wins against your champion Matth. So, luck didn't stop him from winning as well.

ldeska said:
Bleh they give a slots for some nonexistant ladders (yes, some ladders what were listed there don't exist at all) but they can't give slots to an oldest and biggest ladder. Really, so much respect for us. We're really interested, sure. Especially after you showed how YOU are interested in us.

Ellestar said:
Well, i played only 15-17 ctons (FFA/always war/130 turns) in a case's ladder. The rest are several duels and many teamers. Noone forces you to play ctons if you don't like them. Ctons aren't competitive anyway. Good players win ctons with ease (so luck doesn't really matter). We saw 110+ win streaks that were stopped by only other good players. Also, Tommynt won all Ironman games but one (ffa/always war/no time limit) that he played in a Clan Championsip Cup (i think 5 out of 6), including 2 out of 2 wins against your champion Matth. So, luck didn't stop him from winning as well.

Bleh they give a slots for some nonexistant ladders (yes, some ladders what were listed there don't exist at all) but they can't give slots to an oldest and biggest ladder. Really, so much respect for us. We're really interested, sure. Especially after you showed how YOU are interested in us.

Is there a need for Slots for C4P players?

I am the constructor and father of this tournament and we would be honoured if players from this big community would like to join our tournament. Till now I never got any questions of an admin of C4P to join our tournament. I also thought that those players do not like playing our settings.

Well if you want to invite players from C4P feel free to advertise in our forums at http://civ4players.proboards44.com/index.cgi . I'm not sure how many players would want to play MP games on normal speed, we are quit capable of doing so, it's just not the prefered option in most of our games.

CS

Thank you very much, I was in your forum, but when I was there I was the only user, is it really used this forum?

Here a newer slide of our Tournament where you can see already how the groups are set:

@Canucksoldier: It would be great if you could post this Slide in your forum(just quote this post=>copy the URL=>paste in your forum), I guess you know better where to post it and there will be more people interested when it comes from you:)

The civplayer forums?

Tumbleweed central.

kittenOFchaos said:
The civplayer forums?

Tumbleweed central.

Obviously you have not been there lately.

CS

CanuckSoldier said:
Obviously you have not been there lately.

CS

No, just every day...

Bantams is busy though.

Well, not everyone checks civ4players ladder forums (most of us prefer action to chatting;) ) but almost all good active players are in clans and several players from a clan do check it. So that way you may inform almost all good players anyway.

Well I guess it's in your perspective DD, as Ellstar states ladderites do 90% of there chatting in real time unlike SP fan sights that have to use there forums, but none the less 150 posts a day is hardly a dead forum.

CS

Nothing against your tournament but if you want to call it the best of the best in the world, you really should try to balance it out a bit more. Currently it is a european tournament with a few "international" scrubs who will be beaten mercilessly in order to give it flavor.

It is sort of like the NFL or NBA champion calling themselves world champions after beating every other team in the US. Since the representation from the other countries is virtually non-existent, it is rather of a misnomer.

In the same way if you wanted it to be a true international competition, you should give fair representation to countries like the US, Korea, and Australia that have sizable civ player populations rather than force them to run the gauntlet by eliminating each other as well as the "losers" of the european tourneys that get second dibs for the last six slots in your forty person tourney. Basically these are like wild card slots for players without a chance to get in otherwise, and hence if that is the only way "international" players can be represented, you are definitely not running a "world" championship.

Where does he say he's running a World Championship? Nowhere.

He's running a Champion's League comp like the Real Life Champion's League.

Except over there they don't even have wildcards for internationals. It's after all a European league.

Sneltrekker said:
Where does he say he's running a World Championship? Nowhere.

He's running a Champion's League comp like the Real Life Champion's League.

Except over there they don't even have wildcards for internationals. It's after all a European league.

It is a bit misnamed, the tittle itself is "Civ4 Champions League" but is a defacto European Champions League, calling it a "Civ4 league" may not state that it's a world champion but that is what it implies.

CS

So, is anyone interested in playing this tournament now? We have enough players who applied but I would like to see more players from around the world in the international qualifications anyway!

Please tell me very soon, the international qualifications are this Sunday!

My ego would consider having to go through a qualification process as far too demeaning.

Top Bottom