birthday present ideas for my mother

Agree. But sometimes it's really hard.
And sometimes you just don't know enough.
e.g. we gifted my mother once a gift card for a hardware store, where they sold lots of gardening stuff. She said a few times before that she always wants to get the whole store. But what do I know what she needs exactly?
But yeah, in general a real gift is better.

I've decided to add one more thing, preferably in the 20-40 price range. Any good books on Spain? I'd prefer a book specific to one aspect of Spain, because she doesn't need any 'crash course' type of book since she presumably already knows all of that.

Guess nobody needs to suggest "Don Quixote"?

She already has Don Quxiode. Try something more obscure. If it's a 'classic' that even people that don't necessarily love Spain have read, it's practically guaranteed that she has considering she's obsessed.

Last night your mum told me she wanted some new perfume, bro.
I'll see you tonight son.

Lol. My mom would never date a frog limey. :rolleyes:

e.g. we gifted my mother once a gift card for a hardware store, where they sold lots of gardening stuff. She said a few times before that she always wants to get the whole store. But what do I know what she needs exactly?

I largely agree that gift cards are generally not great as presents, but I do think there are exceptions like this. If you buy a gift card for a specific store relating to a specific interest, on the basis that the other person is going to be able to get so much more value out of choosing their own things with the gift card, I think that's both personal and practical. If I'm buying a friend a game for their birthday, I'll ask them what I want for a certain value; I'm recognising their interest in games, but they're still able to choose exactly the products they wish to have. They're going to appreciate that more than me just buying them a random game that they're less likely to enjoy.

I personally prefer receiving gift cards, but that's largely because I am fairly soulless when it comes to presents, which consequently makes me suck at giving them.

You know what would be the best gift? If you just settled down with a nice Jewish girl.

Your basherte is out there, but I see you running around with all these shiksa. Don't you know how happy your bubby would be to see you settle down? She doesn't have many years left, you know.

My town is a redneck town with heathen gentiles; no proper jewish ladies available.

I generally prefer gift cards because the things I want are usually fairy expensive and I can't expect everyone in my family to drop 50-60 bucks on me. Many times mothers appreciate the sentiment as much if not more than the gift itself so it's certainly not a good idea here but I wouldn't write off money as a bad gift entirely.

I guess it depends on the family - my friend is Italian.. All they ever get for Christmas is money. It doesn't make sense to me - everyone gives everyone else money, so in the end everyone's back at $0

I would have definitely loved money as a gift when I was younger, I must admit that. Moms just tend to prefer personalized crap, flowers, things that will remind them of you, etc.

My point was that people are different. Blanket statements like that are silly.

There's exceptions for every rant for sure :p

Point was, it's your mom, put some more thought into it! Give the gift card with something else at least, and make sure if you're going to get one that it's going to be something handy that she'll smile about.

Top Bottom