Blood and Iron: The Conquests of the Chancellor

April, 875 BC

Captain Lutjens of the galley Wotan's Spear was not a happy man at the moment. For the best part of a solid month he and his crew had been patrolling the west coast of Normandy looking for the pirate frigate Eustace, the Black Monk. The pirates had ravaged this part of the German coast for years. Why is it that those pirate @#$ always seem to know when there is a vulnerable ship around, and never show up when they might actually encounter a proper warship? He was interrupted in his reverie by a shout from the lookout on the crow's nest.

"Captain Lutjens! German signaler on the shoreline!"

The captain looked up at the crow's nest and shouted back. "Is there a message to us, or are they asking for a report?"

"It looks like a message, sir. So far I read: Pirate ship...Seven klicks...northwest...Sighted two hours ago."

"Send acknowledgement! Helm, new course! Steer 15 points to port!"

"5 points to port, aye!" cried the helmsman as he began to turn the great wheel. The Wotan's Spear shuddered for a moment as the German galley headed towards the sighting report of the pirate frigate. It seemed to take but a few moments until the lookout again shouted to his captain.

"Sail on the port bow! The pirates!"

All aboard strained their eyes forward to catch a glimpse of the pirate vessel they had been seeking for the last three weeks. The Eustace was huge, with three masts and easily twice the size of the Wotan's Spear. The enemy ship was tacking across the westerly winds towards them and closing rapidly.

We would have no chance against that monster if she were intact! mused the captain. Fortunately, the pirate frigate was far from intact. Even at 800 meters the experienced eye of the captain could pick out the extensive damage to the Eustace. Jagged holes in her sails and jury-rigged patches in her planking gave mute testimony to the lethal effectiveness of the German catapulters.

"Oarsmen! To your stations! Wait for my signal! Helm, stand by for full port rudder!"

"Waiting for full port rudder signal, aye!"

They were close enough now for the black flag of the Eustace to be seen as it was raised above the center mast. All aboard the Wotan's Spear knew what this meant. The black flag of the pirates. No quarter to be given, none to be received. This will be a fight to the death. The pirate ship began to turn to starboard away from the charging German galley.

Captain Lutjens cried: "Archers to forward stations! Full port rudder...now!" As the helmsman answered with "Full port rudder, aye!", several puffs of smoke formed on the port side of the pirate frigate. A moment later there were several sounds like distant thunder from the enemy ship.

With a great ripping sound a hole was punched through the German galley's mainsail, and a three meter section of the starboard rail was wrenched from the ship by something moving too fast to clearly see. Three splashes just off the starboard bow proved the effectiveness of Captain Lutjen's evasive manuever.

"Archers, fire at will! Rowers...RAMMING SPEED!" cried the captain. The Wotan's Spear surged forward toward the looming bulk of the pirate frigate. A volley of German arrows suddenly lanced out towards the pirates. Captain Lutjens saw only two men fall, but others were forced to dive for cover. "Boarding party, stand by. Brace for impact!"

With a solid, grinding crunch the reinforced prow of the Wotan's Spear crashed into the side of the Eustace. Captain Lutjens knew he had crippled the enemy vessel, even before the despairing cry of "Hull breach!" could be heard from the enemy ship. "Boarding party, attack! Cover fire!"

At this command fifty of the finest swordsmen in Germany leaped onto the deck of the stricken Eustace. Many of them had lost someone close to various pirate attacks, and those who did not had heard the stories of the others during the quest to find the Eustace. As one man they began to avenge their brothers, their people, and their nation on the hated pirates, striking down enemy sailors with ruthless precision. Those who avoided the deadly blades found themselves on the receiving end of a flurry of arrow fire, preventing an effective, organized resistance.

"Fall back men! The Eustace is sinking!" As if to reinforce Captain Lutjen's order, an ominous groan sounded from the innards of the doomed pirate ship. With the archers continuing to provide cover fire, the boarding crew abandoned their prize and leaped or swung back aboard Wotan's Spear. "All rowers, full astern!" The German galley seemed to hesitate for a moment, then with a sudden lurch pulled free of the sinking pirate ship. The Eustace began to roll to port, and then slipped beneath the waves forever.

"What about the survivors, sir?", asked the first mate. Perhaps a score of pirate sailors still lived, clinging to various bits of flotsam and wreckage from the sunken pirate ship.

"They are pirates, but we are German sailors." replied Captain Lutjens. I shall not have it said that we simply left them to the sharks. Save those you can and put them in irons in the brig. We shall bring them back to Normandy and hand them to the authorities for trial. Set course for Nomandy at once. I want a full damage assesment within the hour. I will send a message by our last aviary pigeon to confirm the sinking of the Eustace."

Last edited:
March, 825 BC

General Stauffenberg of the 2nd Leipzig Knights was ending his briefing speech to his men in a small clearing in the woods north of the captured city of Cordova. "And finally, I would like to introduce you to our new chaplain, Fr. Franz Stein." This remark was greeted with cheers from the Christian troopers, and more polite applause and a few scowls from the more traditional followers of Wotan.

Fr. Stein proved to be a man of some 50 years. He walked with a slight limp, and he was a mere 160 centimeters tall. "Thank you, General." Turning to the men, he added, "I am certain you have heard enough speeches for one day, so I will keep this short and to the point."

"First, remember the lessons of your training and the lessons you learned last season at the battle of Cordova." He gestured to his bad left leg and continued, "Before I became a soldier for Christ, I was a soldier for the Empire. I got this at the battle of Entremont, along with an Iron Spear for my trouble. The good Lord is merciful to us, but He will expect us to use our native talents and abilities as well. As long as you fight as you did at Cordova, you will make it back to your wives and sweethearts back home." Even the followers of Wotan recognized the ring of truth in these words.

"Second, tomorrow you will go into battle. General Stauffenberg tells me that you will be pursing a fleeing Spanish spear force. You have a luxury that many fighting men do not. You know that tomorrow you will fight. You have until dawn tomorrow to prepare for this fight. If there is a word to a brother soldier that should be said, or a insult or other slight to atone for, this may be your last, best chance to do so. One of the few regrets of my military life is that I once insulted a brother soldier. The precise circumstances do not matter now. He was killed in battle before I had a chance to come to my senses and seek his pardon. I ask you not to make the same mistake I once did. That is all." The battle tested veterans of the 2nd Leipzig listened in polite silence as the limping priest left the clearing.

"All right, men! Company shall assemble at the first day watch tomorrow. A Mass shall be offered at first call by Fr. Stein for those of the 2nd who wish to attend, whether Christian or no. Confessions will be available at the usual base camp until then. Company...dismissed!"

The next morning dawned bright and clear. General Stauffenberg's orders at first day watch were quick and to the point. "Colonel Hengest, you will take your regiment into the woods to follow the Spanish cowards directly. The other three regiments will follow the road to the north and link up with the rest of the force preparing the assault against Madrid. If any of the Spanish try to reach Madrid, we should be able to cut them off and destroy them. Forward!' At this the men of the 2nd Leipzig vaulted into their saddles with the ease of long practice.

Colonel Hengest looked around for the 2nd's new chaplain after the General had finished his orders. Fr. Stein had just mounted his horse after packing his traveling kit. "Father, a word with you if I may. I would like you to ride with our regiment this day."

"I see. May I ask why, Colonel?"

Colonel Hengest nodded grimly. "The General does not believe me, but I am certain that the Spanish are in the woods, not simply running for the river and the safety of Madrid. If I am wrong, the General will have the honor of overtaking foot soldiers on horseback with ease. If I am right, then our regiment will be outnumbered 4 to 1 in hostile territory unsuited for galloping charges."

"I thought you might ask me to ride with you, Colonel. I was once a soldier long ago, as I said last night, and I remember a lesson in the field that was worth more than ten in the classroom. Always try to put yourself in the mind of the enemy, and try to determine what you would do in his place. I hope you are wrong about this, but the old soldier in me says that you are not. And so I will ride with your men this day."

Three hours ride later, and the men of the 1st regiment had seen nothing to prove the colonel's suspicions. They were now well into the forest. On their left was a shallow valley with another river at the bottom, and on their right was a sloping hill that ended abruptly in a nearly sheer cliff.

"A moment, Colonel," said Fr. Stein. "If I were the enemy, I would not travel along the cliff edge, since I might be seen by pursuing German knights. I would also stay away from the river, knowing that knights on horseback could easily catch up and overrun foot soldiers."

"For a man of the cloth, you have an eye for terrain", replied Colonel Hengest after a moment's consideration. "There is even the makings of a sheep trail between the river and the cliff edge, so we can make good time." He quickly called a halt to the regiment and gave his orders to the company commanders to follow the sheep trail.

In less than ten minutes, Colonel Hengest realized that he was on the right track. He could see fresh footmarks in the trail. The trail suddenly took a bend to the right, but the tracks were heading off to the left. He could see that the forest thinned to the left, and could faintly hear the river in that direction.

"They must have heard us! Follow me, men!" cried the colonel. As he and the regiment came to the edge of the forest, they could see their prey headed towards the river. "For Bismarck and for Germany! CHARGE!" Almost 200 knights followed him as they thundered out of the forest towards the desperate enemy spearmen. The Spanish tried to run, but the mud near the river's edge turned what might have been an organized retreat into a slaughter. The blades of the armored knights slashed with lethal effectiveness against a floundering enemy while incurring few losses themselves.

In less than half an hour, the battle was over. Perhaps fifty of the 800 or so Spanish spearmen had escaped the German knights, and even then only after casting aside their spears and shields as they fled for their lives. There were only a dozen or so German casualties that Colonel Hengest could see on the hill.

That is one less Spanish division we will face at their final stronghold at Madrid! The colonel called for Gunter, his message rider. "I have a message for you to take to General Stauffenberg."

I will soon be a general myself after our victory today!

Last edited:
November, 825 BC

"Your Holiness, Fr. Franz Stein has arrived as you requested."

"Excellent, Hans," replied Grosbruckner Gregory II, the successor to the late Heinrich II. Send him in at once, and I should like you to remain as well."

"As you wish, Your Holiness." Hans went to the great bronze doors of the audience chamber and opened them, admitting a limping Father Franz Stein. He walked up to the dais where the Grosbruckner sat with his right hand extended, and knelt to kiss his ring. He then stood and asked, "Your Holiness, how may I be of service to you?"

"Father Stein, your reputation has preceded you here to Berlin. It is not often that a Marshall of the German Army speaks so highly of a priest of God.

"The good Marshall Hengest is too kind, Your Holiness. I was simply doing my duty as best I knew how."

"I see that your reputation for modesty is not exaggerated, Father. However, it is not only the Marshall who speaks well of your talents. Two months ago I received a suggestion from Chancellor Bismarck himself. He said, and I quote: 'I believe, Grosbruckner Gregory, that such a one as Fr. Stein is wasted as a mere chaplain. Surely you could find a higher office more suited to his talents.' And so I sent Father Hans Mueller to replace you with the 2nd Leipzig and asked you here to Berlin."

"But...but Your Holiness, I am needed as a chaplain! I have never wanted higher office..."

"Father Stein!" said the Grosbruckner with some asperity. "I am reliably informed that you have never shirked your duty, either as a soldier for Germany or as a soldier for Christ. Surely you will not start now?"

"Uh..no, no Your Holiness!" stammered Father Stein.

"Very good. There remains only the question of which office in particular you are best suited for. There are two possible offices which have been brought to my particular attention. First, as you may or may not know, Archbishop Johann Konig of Hamburg has recently died. There are nearly a million souls in that see who are in need of a strong shepherd, instead of the thousand knights of the 2nd Leipzig."

"The second is the see of Mainz, which has been vacant for almost a year after the death of Bishop Kreitzberg. Unlike Hamburg, this area is still relatively undeveloped. Many there still cling to the pagan beliefs of Thor and Wotan and are in great need of the light of the Faith. The Church needs a man of great faith and courage to tame this wayward flock."

Father Stein stood silently for a moment. "Your Holiness, I must have you know that I am not worthy of either office. I am not the holy man others believe me to be. In my youth, as you know, I was a soldier for the Empire. I was one of the men who conquered the Celtic nation, and I..have killed enemy soldiers. I am simply unworthy of the office of Bishop. However, I swore an oath to Christ and His Church, and I shall not break that oath today or any other day. If I had to choose, I would choose the archbishopric of Hamburg. I fear that my injury makes horseback riding more difficult as I grow older, and the worthier man than I who must take the position of the bishop of Mainz will have to ride constantly."

"To be completely honest, Your Holiness, I had intended to humbly ask you to deign to permit me to join the abbey at Mt. Mannstein near Monte Carlo. I should greatly prefer to spend the rest of my days as a contemplative monk near the place where the Celtic people once lived."

"Once more, Father Stein, I see that my information about you is sound. In a gentler time and place, I would be happy to grant your request. However, we live in an age of blood and iron. I see no barrier in your previous career as a soldier. My illustrious predecessor personally approved your ordination to the priesthood, and I see nothing to indicate his decision was wrong."

The Grosbruckner paused for a moment. "The Church needs your strength and integrity in Hamburg. I hereby decree that you shall be ordained Archbishop of the See of Hamburg in three days time. I shall make the necessary arrangements at once."

"Yes..yes, Your Holiness."

"One thing more. I still need to find the right man for Mainz. Do you by any chance have a suggestion as to who might be a good candidate for such a difficult position?"

For the first time since he entered the audience chamber of the Grosbruckner, soon to be Archbishop Stein felt at ease. "Actually, yes, Your Holiness. My brother chaplain, Father Wynfrith Berg, of the 3rd Viennese Knights, would make a far better candidate than I could hope to be."

"Please explain why you believe this to be so."

"Your Holiness, as his Christian name suggests, Father Berg was not born German. He is in fact from Wales, on the island of England, and he is the only survivor of a family of eight who were killed by pirates in the English Channel. He knows what it is to lose everything, and he has the personal integrity to be a far better chaplain than I could hope to be. His personal witness can inspire the pagans of the see of Mainz, and he is in perfect health."

"I see. It is a good thing that he is here in Berlin to accept this post. It is also a good thing that a humble, yet keen observer such as yourself is here to enlighten me about his qualifications." As his guest stood in mute surprise, Hans opened the inner door to the audience chamber and stood aside as Fr. Wynfrith Berg walked in.

"Surely you did not think that I would rely solely on the word of even such illustrious figures as Marshall Hengest and Chancellor Bismarck to determine who would make a good Bishop? I need a man who puts the Church and his office ahead of his pride, and who is willing to let another candidate take his place rather than finding faults. And so, I asked Fr. Berg to come to Berlin to give me a true report. He arrived here two days before you did." The Grosbruckner stood, and said: "That will be all for now. I shall expect you both for dinner tonight at 7:30. No doubt we can find something of interest to discuss."

Last edited:
OOS:

I got a great leader just after the capture of the Spanish capital, so I'll get a knight army for Marshall Hengest.:)

Father Stein is based on an actual RL chaplain of my acquaintance. His identity has been disguised, to paraphrase the TV show "Dragnet", to protect the innocent and MTB4884 on the off chance that the actual person I'm thinking of will one day read this. The speech he gave to the 2nd Leipzig is nearly identical to the one he gave in RL on the eve of a battle, though a few details are altered to make it fit in the historical timeframe of my story.

Grosbruckner Gregory and Fr. Berg are based, loosely, on historical records of RL people. I made a few changes to fit them into my story, and added a few dramatic details for color.

Next up will be the final conquest of Spain and more adventures of soon to be Bishop Berg. Hopefully I can get that posted in the next couple of days depending on RL workload.

March, 800 BC

Colonel Ernst Stavros, newly assigned to the 2nd Leipzig Knights, surveyed his new regiment. It was late, and the first watch of the night had just begun. Some 250 of the finest knights in the German army were camped a klick east of the last Spanish city of Madrid, along with the other 3 regiments of the 2nd and 10 other knight divisions. The newly formed 1st Corps with the other 4 knight divisions was also camped, waiting for the orders to begin the assault. Satisfied that all was in order, he mused on the last staff meeting this afternoon to brief the senior officers on the final assault on Madrid. The newly promoted Marshall Hengest had personally asked him to remain for a moment.

“Ernst, you are going to take command of my former regiment. I know there are some in the Army who think I was promoted too quickly. To make a long story short, you and your men will receive more scrutiny than if you were the 1st regiment of, say, the 2nd Viennese.”

“It is my duty to lead the regiment into battle. I shall leave the politics to others, for I have no interest in such things.”

“That is precisely the attitude which makes you the best man for the job. You will get your chance soon enough to fight the Spanish. Dismissed!”

Colonel Stavros remembered his own training a few years before. I will not be the leader I should be unless I get some sleep was his last conscious thought as he climbed into his bunk.

The next morning dawned bright and clear. Some 14,000 German knights faced the small fortress city of Madrid. The Spanish had built a wooden palisade, but did not have the time to build ramps or walls of stone. The men of the 2nd Leipzig were soon in their designated assault position as the fourth wave of the assault.

The dawn was soon broken by the clarion calls for the 1st Corps as they led the German attack. Thousands of knights met the outnumbered and outmatched Spanish spearmen defending Madrid. Three waves of knights shattered the palisade and cleared the defenders from the eastern side of the city.

Soon it was the 2nd Liepzig's turn. Once more the clarion sounded and the cry rang out: “For Bismarck and for Germany! CHARGE!” The thousand knights of the 2nd Leipzig rode unopposed into Madrid. The outlying huts were burning as the remaining survivors fled into the woods. There was only one large wooden building intact in what was left of the city, and the knights headed for it.

The clearing before the building was simply an open space of grass, hardly worthy of the name of town square. Before it stood the last of the Spanish defenders, numbering perhaps a few score of men. There was a brief pause as the knights prepared for the order to charge, which would surely overwhelm the defenders and put an end to the Spanish civilization for all time.

And far, far away, in another world entirely, a man pressed a single key.

June, 800 BC

Excerpt from Catholic Encyclopedia, Vol 2, p. 234, Fassbinder Press, Berlin, 910.

"To show the heathens how utterly powerless were the gods in whom they placed their confidence, he (Bishop Wynfrith Berg) felled the oak sacred to the thunder god Thor, at Geismar, near Mainz. He had a chapel built out of the wood. The heathens were astonished that no thunderbolt from the hand of Thor destroyed the offender, and many were converted. The fall of this oak marked the fall of heathenism."

The new bishop of Mainz surveyed the scene. Just behind him was a crowd of the curious from the nearby villages. In front of him was the stump of the ancient tree once known as Wotan's Oak, the still living Thor's Oak, and the almost as ancient Chief Priest of Thor, Gunter Kung.

"The power of Thor will destroy you before you can strike a single blow!"

"Wotan could not protect his tree from falling just last season, and Thor will not protect this tree! You had best get to a safe place, for I mean to chop it down. You would not want Thor to hit you with a thunderbolt by mistake!" replied the bishop, hefting his axe for emphasis.

Chief Priest Kung moved aside with a final jeer. "I shall rejoice to see the mighty Thor smite you to protect the sacred tree!"

Bishop Wynfrith Berg stood next to the ancient tree. He had fasted and prayed in preparation for this moment, and yet he felt a twinge of doubt as it began to rain. He hesitated for only a moment before taking his first swing with his axe.

A solid WHUNK! rewarded his efforts, along with a sliver of bark and wood hewn from the base of the tree. There was a collective gasp from the watching crowd as...nothing else happened. And so Bishop Berg continued to chop away at the ancient tree, the symbol of the pagan faith of Thor. He stopped when he heard an ominous cracking sound from the center of the tree.

The rain stopped as he stepped back from the tree. A distant boom of thunder from the storm to the north was heard as the ancient tree slowly but inexorably crashed back to earth and split into four large sections.

The bishop turned back to the crowd. "You see! No lightning, no thunderbolts from above! Even the thunderstorm has moved on! This was a tree, nothing more." Realizing that his adversary had quietly slipped away while he was chopping down Thor's Oak, he shouted "Even the Chief Priest of Thor has abandoned this so-called god! What further proof do you need!"

Last edited:
December, 690 BC

"So," said Chancellor Friedrich von Bismarck, "I hear that the hard working folks at the Domestic Ministry have come up with something interesting."

"That is true, my Chancellor. It is an improved form of republic which we call democracy, or rule by the people."

"I am certain you have been asked this many times, but would you mind explaining again why this is a good idea?"

"My Chancellor, this new form of government will have even greater benefits than republic. As you know, the Turks and the Indians have had a republican form of government for some time now, and they are reaping the benefits of improved production, greater government income, and even improved scientific research."

"I still do not understand how the form of government can affect the available scientific research for the Empire."

"My Chancellor, with a democracy, the people tend to be happier overall. We do not have to spend as much money on entertaining the masses, and so we can spend that money or other things, such as more scholars. Our Empire will be more productive overall, so we will have a lot more money available than we have now under despotism. The new democracy will have far less corruption, which also helps us."

"Ah yes. We are lucky to get 20% of the available revenue and work from some of the more distant cities in the Empire. I still have some reservations, though. How can you be so sure that I would still rule Germany? I am taking a great risk, not only for me and my family, but for all our people as well."

"There will be a period of some instability, my Chancellor. We are not sure how long. It could be as little as one year, such as the Indians had, or eight as the Turks had. Both Gandhi and Timur-Lenk remained in power after the changeover. Our surveys indicate that some 78% of the German people approve of the job you are doing now. All you have to do is to make a public announcement at the beginning of the new year."

"What about our army divisions? What happens to them during this period of instability, as you call it?"

The Military Minister spoke up. "The army will still follow your orders, my Chancellor. The planned attack on the Vikings can still take place. It will take longer since we only have four knight divisions and 1st Corps readily available. The Vikings have half a dozen divisions of spearmen and archers in their only city. The rest of the knight divisions are being sent to the Indian frontier."

"We at the Domestic Ministry believe that the current garrison forces are sufficient to quell any riots or civil disorder during the changeover. There might be some minor adjustments in a particular city or two, but nothing we cannot handle."

"What about the Turks and the Indians along the frontier?"

Again the Military Minister spoke out. "Our scouting reports confirm that the Indians have only a minimal garrison in their provinces west of Persia. They simply do not have the manpower to mount a successful invasion of Germany at this time. We have 5 knight divisions stationed along the Turkish frontier in addition to the assault force against the Vikings, and they should be enough to deter the Turks from attempting an invasion. At worst, they would buy us enough time to mobilize the rest of the German army."

"That brings up another good point. Who gets to declare war when it becomes necessary? Do I have to call an 'election' and try to talk the good men of Germany into letting me fight an enemy? Do they get to vote on which enemy city to assault next?"

"You, my Chancellor, can still decide to launch an attack on Germany's enemies as you see fit. The war is waged based on your decisions and those of the general staff. The disadvantage is not so much that you cannot start a war, but that it is more difficult to wage one for long periods of time. In a democracy, the people will eventually get tired of war. We have coined a word for this: war weariness. That is one reason why it has always been our policy to have enough forces in place to quickly crush the enemy defenses when attacking small, weak nations. A nation with only one or two cities cannot long withstand our forces."

"What happens when we eventually go to war with great nations such as India and Egypt, who have many cities?"

"It is true, my Chancellor, that we do not have enough forces to completely destroy either nation at a single blow. In these cases, we start the war only once we have a large, fast moving force. The plan is to capture as many of the enemy empire's cities as possible within a few years of fighting. We are then in a much better position to demand favorable peace terms from the enemy.

"You do seem to have an answer for everything. Do all of you agree that we should become a democracy?" All of the attending Ministers nodded affirmatively. "Then, we will do it. Is there anything else?"

The Domestic Minister cleared his throat. "My Chancellor, I have one other suggestion. It might be well to speak to Grosbruckner Gregory II about the coming change to a democracy. His influence may make it easier for our people to adapt to the transfer, and it may shorten the period of instability. As you know, he is officiating at the marriage of Ambassador von Rittentrop on Saturday, and it should be a simple matter to discuss this with him privately after the ceremony."

"I see. Please set up the necessary arrangements for a meeting on Saturday. I shall want you there as well. This meeting is hereby adjourned." All stood as the Chancellor of the German Empire got up and left the room.

Last edited:
OOS:

Drew 5 turns of anarchy for the transition from despotism to democracy. I will eventually put in a screenshot or two here to illustrate how Germany is doing compared to the other rival civilizations. For the moment, I'll add a brief written description.

I'll assume that my readers are at least generally familiar with Kal-El's mod. The exact particulars are in my first post on the thread.

Germany controls all of continental Europe, with the exception of the one city civilization of the Vikings in the far north. The former civilizations of the Celts, the Romans, and the Spanish are all part of the German Empire. The border town of Antioch, in what would be southern Turkey in RL marks the boundary of the Indian empire, which has three cities west of the one city Persians. Beyond the Indians are the Egyptians, who have a large empire in northern Africa and at least a couple of cities south of the Indians in the RL Middle East. The Arabs have two cities south of the Egyptian territory in the RL Middle East. Between the Egyptians and the large west Afrrican empire of the Songhai are the one city Carthaginians.

The main Indian empire extends east of Persia, through the Indian subcontinent, all the way to southern and central RL China. China, along with the Mongolians, are only one city civilizations. What later turns out to be the Koreans are dimly visible on the map east of the Chinese. The Turks control the lands north of the Indians and have a few outpost cities to the east of the Germans.

Northwest of the Germans, the English control their small island. The Iroquois have one city in the New World, along with two German colonies who evaded the horde of pirates near England. One colony is at the RL Panama Canal, and the other is in the RL Yucatan. The map at this time is fragmentary. I know where most of the Indian civilization is, since they are my biggest rival, but I don't have good maps of Africa, especially the Songhai, at this time.

Germany has a slight lead in victory points, and a 3-4 tech advantage over the Indians and the Turks. The Egyptians have just entered the Medieval Era, while the other civilizations are still in the Ancient Era.

May 1, 610 BC

Marshall Hengest called his officers to order. "Gentlemen, I have received by horse rider from Berlin specific orders from Chancellor Bismarck himself. I will read the relevant part aloud." "You will make all necessary preparations for 1st Corps and the other three knight divisions under your command to march into and seize the Viking capital city. 1st Corps is to lead the assault, in order to minimize the risk to the other knight divisions. Once the city has been destroyed, send word by aviary and a full report by horse rider to Berlin."

(signed) Friedrich von Bismarck
Chancellor of the Imperial German Empire

The other officers at the table showed little to no surprise at the orders, as Marshall Hengest had expected. Only one man spoke up. "Marshall, did Chancellor Bismarck explain why we are to attack the Vikings now, when our whole society is in such turmoil?"

"A very good question, Colonel Stavros. We need to secure our northern territory not only from the barbarians who infest this area, but from future Viking attack. Concerns were expressed in Berlin that the Vikings may expand and become a more dangerous foe now that most of the barbarians to the east of them have been destroyed. If we attack first, while they are still relatively weak, we can stop them with little risk to Germany.

"Can we expect any reinforcements for our assault?"

"Nothing of the sort was indicated. I am confident that the 10,000 German knights in 1st Corps and the attached divisions will defeat the Vikings handily. Earlier reports indicated that they have at least 2 spearmen divisions, and possibly an archery division, guarding Trondheim. We do know that they have only one city, and so once they are defeated here, the Viking threat is over permanently." Colonel Stavros nodded at this, apparently satisfied with the Marshall's explanation.

"Very well, if there are no other questions, I want to see the troops ready for the march on Trondheim as soon as possible. Dismissed!"

Last edited:
June 1, 570 BC

Chancellor Friedrich von Bismarck checked over his new uniform in the looking glass for the last time. Satisfied that all was in order, he asked his son Konrad. “Are all the new delegates for the Reichstag here?”

“Yes, Father,” replied his son Konrad. “Everything is ready.” At a nod from the newly elected Chancellor he opened the great cast bronze doors of the Reichstag Chamber.

The Chancellor walked slowly down the main aisle of the Reichstag Chamber as the 200 delegates stood in his honor. He made his way to the speaker's podium and began his first inaugural address.

“Welcome, my fellow Germans, to the new Democratic Germany! It has been a difficult few years as we have made the transition from a primitive dictatorship to a new modern democracy. Thanks to the blessings of the Almighty, and your own native good sense, I am privileged to address you once more not only as the Chancellor of Imperial Germany, but as a freely elected ruler of a united, democratic and free Germany.”

“One of the most important things any ruler can provide for his people is security from the enemies of his country. As you all know, two years ago war was declared with the Vikings, in order to secure our northern borders. I have just received a report from Marshall Hengest, the commander of our northern forces. I will quote from the relevant section of his written report.”

Chancellor Bismarck adjusted his monocle and began to read. “Our forces have taken the Viking capital of Trondheim. The city was burned by its inhabitants to prevent its capture by our forces. The Viking civilization has been destroyed.” At this the delegates of the Reichstag erupted in cheers.

After waiting for the cheering to die down, Chancellor Bismarck continued. “And so, I have this message to all those who would oppose the German people. The fate of the Vikings, the Celts, the Romans, and the Spanish shall be your fate!” Again the delegates cheered wildly at the Chancellor's words.

“The German people”, continued the Chancellor, “as you all know, can fight better than any other nation on earth. However, I wish to announce that at this time, we have no immediate plans for war with any other peaceful nation. The historic allies of the German people shall remain allies despite our change in government."

“Now that we finally have a government for the people, of the people, and by the people, we shall work to bind up the nation's wounds as best we can, and to continue to make Germany a better place to live for all of her people. I have directed the Imperial Science Academy to begin to work on our financial system precisely towards that end, resisting the calls of some to work solely on the knowledge of better weapons and means of warfare.”

“Finally, I wish to speak to those of you who did not support the Imperial Party in the recent election. I have heard it suggested that the 29% of German voters who supported the Christian Democratic Party and the 12% who supported the Social Democratic party are somehow traitors to the German people and should be ruthlessly suppressed. Nothing could be farther from the truth of my approach to those who did not agree with me.”

“I expect that the legislation I need to run the government properly and efficiently will be passed by the Imperial Party, who of course hold a 59% majority in the Reichstag. However, I and my advisers are always willing to listen to good, constructive ideas proposed by opposition leaders which benefit the people of Germany. At the wise suggestion of the new Domestic Minister Karl Reinhardt, I have ordered the creation of a new office of Reichstag Liasion specifically to handle these proposals. My son Konrad, who is of course the new Vice Chancellor, will also be the first head liasion officer.”

“Thank you all and God bless Germany!”

March, 330 BC

Excerpt from History of the Medieval German Navy, Karl Waldschmidt, Vol. 2, p. 105, Waldsee Press, Leipzig, 920.

“After sinking the Eustace and returning to port for repair, the Wotan's Spear was refitted for a exploring voyage to survey the west coast of Africa. The swordsmen and their quarters were replaced with extra stores and provisions for the dangerous expedition. The ship remained in deeper water off the African coast on its voyage south and so evaded the dangerous pirate fleets in the area. This also enabled the ship to avoid diplomatic issues with the Songhai. For many years the Wotan's Spear was out of direct contact with the Imperial German Navy and was presumed lost with all hands.”

Captain Lutjens surveyed the forecastle of the Wotan's Spear on his usual daily inspection. His once blond hair had greyed and thinned over the years, though his eye was as keen as ever. He could see the southeastern coast of Africa through the morning haze in the distance. The large island they had named Madagascar had passed astern yesterday.

He was interrupted by a shout from the crow's nest far above.

“Captain! Barbarian ship off the port bow! Closing fast!”

We cannot outrun them in these winds. The deeper ocean to starboard is too dangerous to sail. We will have to fight and sink them.

“General quarters, men! We will fight our way through! Helm, intercept course! Archers to the forecastle! All rowers to your stations!” The once quiet deck of the Wotan's Spear came to life as the crew responded to her captain's orders. The German galley surged ahead as the veteran rowers worked at their task with the ease of years of practice.

As the last of the morning haze cleared, the crew could see the oncoming barbarian galley. Suddenly the enemy ship began to slow as it began to turn broadside to the Wotan's Spear. Captain Lutjens looked at the mainsail and realized the winds were shifting to the southwest.

“Helm, five points to port! All archers, stand by! I want cover fire on the sails only!”

“Five points to port, aye!”

The captain waited a moment, his mind racing as he drew on his forty years of seamanship to give his ship the best chance possible. This will be the end of all of us if I am wrong.

“For Bismarck and for Germany! RAMMING SPEED! Archers, cover fire..now!”

A volley of arrows from the barbarian galley struck the forecastle. One struck the base of the mast, missing Captain Lutjens by centimeters. As he literally hit the deck, another shot clipped the top of his hat and pinned it to the mast like a beetle to a card. The captain heard the almost musical twang of his own ship's archers as they fired back.

As he leaped back to his feet, he looked to the enemy ship and saw the confusion aboard her. The enemy sailors had ducked for cover from the German galley's archery fire, and left their ship out of direct control for a crucial few seconds. Captain Lutjens had only a moment to see the horror of the barbarian captain's face just before impact.

Once more the reinforced prow of the Wotan's Spear crashed into an enemy vessel. There was a deep crunching roar and a series of staccato pops as the enemy ship's planking shattered from the force of the collision. The enemy ship heeled violently to starboard, then almost as quickly began to list to port as the sea poured into the gaping wound in her port bow.

Another volley of arrows lanced out from the Wotan's Spear as she swept past the sinking barbarian ship. The captain could see their deadly effect as men who had survived the initial impact cried out and fell to the deck or into the sea.

“Archers, cease fire! Secure portside rowers! Helm, hard about to port!”

“Hard about to port, aye!” The German galley began to swing to port as the captain watched the barbarian ship sink beneath the waves. If we ever get back to Germany, I will be sure to teach this trick to the next generation of sailors!

The captain's musings were interrupted by a sudden lurch of his ship. “Captain, the starboard outrigger is damaged!”

“All stop! Lower the sails!” cried Captain Lutjens as he ran forward to inspect the damage. The lead brace on the starboard outrigger had snapped in half from the initial collision, and the next two braces had obvious signs of damage.

“We will lay to here for repairs. I do not want to try rowing with the braces damaged.”

“But Captain” asked the cabin “boy”, now a man of nearly thirty, “What about the barbarian survivors back there?”

The captain considered his reply for a moment. “We have a damaged outrigger in unknown, hostile waters crawling with enemy barbarian ships. I will not risk this ship and her crew for worthless barbarian scum.” At the look of horror on the other man's face, the captain added: “Remember, they tried very hard to sink us and kill every living man aboard. We cannot talk to them, and we cannot reason with them as we might with other civilized men. They could have let us pass, but they chose to attack. We did what we had to do to survive.”

December 15, 290 BC

“My Chancellor, the Prime Minister of the Indian Empire has arrived.”

The Chancellor sighed and said “Very well, show him in.”

Chancellor Bismarck stood as the Indian leader entered. “Welcome, Mahatma Gandhi. I trust you enjoyed yourself at the opera last night?”

“Indeed, Chancellor. I have heard that the Germans have ways to make people talk. I did not know until last night that one way was to make them listen to four solid hours of singing. We do not have these operas (Thank Vishnu!) in our own lands. It makes one wonder what happened to the real Wotan's Spear.”

Chancellor Bismarck smiled at that. “I can give you no information on that. Perhaps it really was sunk by ghostly pirates as in Meister Wagner's opera. I suspect that the ship either foundered in a storm or was sunk by real barbarian pirates in the unknown African seas.”

“I hope you are wrong about that, Chancellor. I will be sure to let my naval officials know to be on the lookout for her if she did survive the voyage around Africa.”

There was something in the Indian leader's tone that made Chancellor Bismarck nervous. It might not be a good thing for the crew of the Wotan's Spear if the Indians find her. Aloud he asked his guest, “So, what brings you to our fair capital?”

“Chancellor, I shall get right to the point. There has been peace between India and her weaker neighbor Germany for quite some time. If you furnish India with the gift of contact with the mysterious people of England, we will tolerate your existence as an independent nation for a little while longer.”

For a ruler claiming to be a peaceful, nonviolent person, he certainly makes a lot of threats. I would love to tell the @#$! exactly what he can do with his threat, but I know my advisors would tell me to be diplomatic. Chancellor Bismarck decided not to trust his immediate gut reaction on this occasion, and simply said. “I see you are sincere in this...proposal, Prime Minister Gandhi. I shall discuss this with my chief advisers and give you your answer in care of the Indian embassy by noon tomorrow.”

“That would be most gracious of you, Chancellor Bismarck.” With that the Indian leader left the audience chamber of the German Imperial Palace.

“My Chancellor! Surely you are not considering yielding to the arrogant demands of India in this matter!.” said the Foreign Minister Hans von Ribbentrop, as soon as Gandhi was out of earshot.

“Hans, I am surprised at you. Usually you are the one urging diplomacy to me in the face of challenging situations like this.”

“There is a time for diplomacy and a time for action, my Chancellor. I believe this situation is one for the latter.”

“There will be war between Germany and India soon. I know that. You know that. Even Gandhi, for all his talk of peace and nonviolence, probably knows that as well. I agree with von Clauswitz that we should fight the war on our terms, not theirs. It will take another year or so before we are ready for an attack into India, according to the Military Ministry. An attack now is possible, but will not be as successful as it could be with a little patience.”

“If I may be so bold as to contradict you, my Chancellor, it would be better for Germany if Gandhi declares war. The people will then believe that India is to blame, and it will be much easier to support the enthusiasm for the war.”

The Chancellor considered his advisor's words. “Very well. I want you to go to their embassy tomorrow at noon and tell them we will not put them in contact with the English for free. I will listen to their offer for payment, should they have a reasonable one.”

“It shall be done, my Chancellor. How diplomatic shall I be in stating Germany's refusal?”

“Tell him to take his threats somewhere else! Is that blunt enough to satisfy you? I will write a note for you to give that #$! Gandhi!”

“It shall be done, my Chancellor.”

Late the next morning, Foreign Minister von Ribbentrop walked up to the gates of the Indian embassy with a sealed envelope. The two Sikh guards at the gates opened them at his approach, since he was expected. He walked down the short flagstone path to the main door, which was opened for him by yet another turbaned Sikh.

The Indian ambassador was waiting for von Ribbentrop in the foyer. “Welcome, Hans. I trust your Chancellor has good news for the Mahatma.” said the ambassador in accented but fluent German.

“Chancellor Bismarck gave me specific orders to give this written note to the Mahatma personally and to await his reply, if any.” said von Ribbentrop in his best Hindi as the two men shook hands.”

“Please come in. The Mahatma is expecting you. This is his last appointment before he returns to Dehli.” The two men went into the inner office as the door guard announced in a gravelly voice: “Ambassador and Foreign Minister of the German Empire, Hans von Ribbentrop, to see the Mahatma.”

“So nice to see you again, Minister von Ribbentrop. It seems a bit unusual to meet you here in your native Empire's capital city.” said Mahatma Gandhi, the aged leader of the Indian Empire.

“It is a pleasure to see you as well. Ambassador Vijay tells me you will be leaving our fair city shortly for your own lands. “

“So, what news have you brought me?”

“Prime Minister and Mahatma, I have been directed by Chancellor Bismarck himself to give you this written reply and to await your response, if any.” replied the Foreign Minister as he gave the envelope to Gandhi. His manner betrayed none of his personal fears at this moment. This could be the beginning of the war right here and now. Gandhi opened the envelope. There was a single sheet of the best Bohemian cream paper inside, with a few words in German and the signature of the German Chancellor. “I fear my knowledge of written German is a bit rusty. Ambassador Vijay, would you be so good as to read this aloud?”

Giving his counterpart a stern look, Ambassador Vijay took the offered sheet of paper and read the blunt reply of Chancellor Bismarck. “It says, Mahatma: Take your empty threats elsewhere.”

“WHAT! After all that we have done for the German people over the years, you refuse our very reasonable request! We will remember this! I ought to have you killed and grind your worthless civilization into dust-er, if I were not such a peaceful, nonviolent person.”

“Tell your leader what I have said. Now get out of here!” Knowing that he could do no further good by arguing, Foreign Minister von Ribbentrop bowed politely to the enraged foreign leader and quickly left the room. Ambassador Vijay followed him long enough to nod to the door guards to open the door to speed his departure.

January 15, 250 BC

Chancellor Bismarck called the special meeting of his top ministerial advisors to order. “I will ask the Military Minister to brief us on the Indian troop movements near Mustang and the readiness of our assault forces south of Antioch."

The Military Minister, Franz von Clauswitz, pulled a previously prepared chart from the wall and took a pointer from the desk. “My Chancellor and fellow ministers, this is a detail map of the area south of Mustang. Our scouts report that an Indian warrior division and a division of archers are approaching Mustang from the south, and are currently within striking range of the city.”

“It is possible that the Indians are simply sending additional forces into the unclaimed areas east of German territory to fight the native barbarian tribes. The Turks have been doing this for years, as you all know. We have had a few border incidents with both the Turks and the Indians over the years, but never with more than one division at a time.”

“We have not yet asked the Indians for a formal explanation, nor demanded that these troops be withdrawn. I believe the Foreign Ministry is ready at short notice to speak to the Indian Ambassador about this.” Foreign Minister Hans von Ribbentrop nodded at this and said: “All we really need is your authorization, my Chancellor.”

The Military Minister continued: “We have 5 knight divisions stationed in Mustang. An order to launch an attack will take about a week to arrive there once the decision is made to go to war.”

The Military Minister then pulled down a second chart, showing in larger scale the territory south and east of the German outpost city of Antioch. “To continue, our own forces are ready to launch an invasion of the three eastern provinces of India. The attack is scheduled to begin on May 1st, unless countermanded by your order, my Chancellor. We have 23 knight divisions, 2 swordsmen divisions, and the 1st corps in position on the German side of the border. We estimate that the Indians have only eight to ten defending divisions in the three cities west of Persia, including three divisions of pikemen. We can launch the attack at any time, although it will take at least ten days to get a message to Field Marshall Hengest to attack early.”

“What about allies? Do we ask the Turks to join us in our war against the Indians?” asked the Chancellor.

“Our attack plan in this particular case does not require the use of allies. Our objective is not to conquer the entire Indian Empire. We do not have the manpower to do it, and our people will surely complain if the war is extended too long. Our plan is to capture the three Indian cities west of Persia, and to capture the single city of the Persians and rebuild it as a German fortress. As you can see here, that will permit the German army to easily head south and west to strike at Egypt and Arabia, and provide a better jumping off point to attack India at a later time. Once we have captured these cities and rebuilt the Persian capital, we can ask for peace terms from the Indians and end the war in a much better position than when we started, with minimal problems from war weariness here at home.”

“Very well. Are there any objections before we vote on this plan?”

“I have one suggestion, rather than an objection as such.” replied the Foreign Minister. “We do have the Indian forces near Mustang. I could ask for an audience with Ambassador Vijay and demand their removal from German soil. We will have two fewer Indian divisions to deal with if they grant the demand. If the Indians are foolish enough to declare war, we are then in an ideal position to wreak revenge on India. We win either way.”

“I like that idea!” said the Chancellor. “All in favor of von Rittentrop's plan?” The other ministers all raised their right hands and said “Aye!”.

'Very well, the plan is hereby approved. I want you to go to Ambassador Vijay at once. I will leave it to you to determine exactly how diplomatic to be in wording our demand for the removal of the Indian troops.” Turning to the Military Minister, he asked, “What troops do we have here in Berlin if the Indians should choose to fight us?”

“My Chancellor, we always have at least a division of knights here. At the moment the Berliner 15th division is scheduled to leave for the Indian frontier next week. I could certainly keep them here for an extra month or two pending the Indian response.”

“Make it so, Minister. I want to be in position to capture the Indian embassy with minimal casualties. Do we know how many guards they have?"

“There are exactly 19 guards at the embassy at the moment, my Chancellor. We do keep an eye on all the foreign embassies for obvious reasons. There are a total of 42 people, including the Ambassador and his family, who are attached there. The next contingent of guards is scheduled to arrive in June.”

“Excellent. I want at least a regiment of knights on high alert near the Indian embassy until further notice."

“It shall be done, my Chancellor.”

March 1, 250 BC

Mahatma Gandhi called the meeting of his chief advisors to order. “We have received a demand from the German ambassador here in Delhi to remove our troops near their city of Mustang. They threaten war if we do not withdraw our troops. We have been given until noon tomorrow to reply. They do not seem interested in our explanation that the troops are there to fight the barbarian hordes in the unclaimed lands east of Germany. I want to hear specifically from the military advisor and the foreign advisor about whether or not to yield to the German demand.”

The military advisor spoke first. “Gentlemen, the Germans have a large buildup of forces on their side of the border near the city of Bhopal. We estimate at least 20 divisions of knights and their 1st Corps army are in place. We do not have the defenses in our western provinces we need to repel them if the Germans choose to attack us. I recommend we move our troops away from Mustang. This creates only a minor delay in the attack against the barbarians, and it gives us more time to improve our defenses.”

The foreign advisor spoke next. “Gentlemen, we simply do not know what the German intentions are. Our ambassador in Berlin reports that the Germans are claiming that they are engaged in large scale troop exercises, and point out they are in their own lands. It is possible they are in fact telling the truth. It is possible they are planning to attack Egypt or Arabia. It is also possible they are planning to attack us. We have no reports of transport ships being built along the Mediterranean coast, and so we believe they do not currently have the capacity to launch an attack by sea. We have not received any requests by the Germans to cross into our territory to reach either Egypt or Arabia.”

“There is another issue that has begun to trouble me greatly. We have been able to confirm that the Germans have had contact with other civilizations unknown to us, specifically the Iroquois, the English, the Spanish, the Celts, the Romans, and the Vikings. We were not able to confirm the continued existence of the Spanish, the Celts, the Romans, or the Vikings when we last asked to trade maps with the Germans. We have had several reports that Chancellor Bismarck himself has claimed that the Germans fought wars with these civilizations and destroyed them.”

The room seemed to chill as the military minister, at a nod from the foreign minister, spoke up. “This is a concern of the military ministry as well. The Germans have not been receptive of any of our attempts to peaceably obtain any of their maps. We have no way of independently confirming our suspicions about this.”

The Mahatma stepped in for the first time. “The Germans have outbuilt us time and again on various great projects. They are alone among the great powers in refusing to trade world maps, and that alone makes even a pacifist like me suspicious of them. What are they trying to hide?

“There is another thing to consider, Mahatma.” replied the military advisor. Our wise men believe that a great era of power and prosperity will occur if one of our great war elephant divisions can defeat an enemy civilization's divisions. If war comes with Germany, we should send every available war elephant division to the western provinces.”

“That is interesting news. There are two other factors I wish to bring to this council. The Germans may have had battles with these other civilizations. I have not heard any reports that they have gone to war with any of the great powers. They sit back and gather their own strength, building up their war machine and their infrastructure while the rest of the world struggles to keep up with them. I fear that if we do not battle them now, the Germans will soon become strong enough to conquer the entire world.”

“Finally, the Germans have recently become a democracy. The good news is that this process took five solid years, when it only took one year for us to transition from a despotism into a republic. The bad news is that they now have more power and money and resources than ever before. They are now much more dangerous to us than they have ever been, and they become more dangerous with each passing day.”

“I saw many wonders on my trip to Germany last year. Their people seem to have no experience with war or its terrors. I do not think they will tolerate the kind of brutal war that will result if they attack us. If we can start a great age by a single military victory now, I believe that we should attempt it. Our people have no particular love for the Germans. They will support us in our great crusade against them.”

The Mahatma noted with some dismay the surprised looks on the faces of his advisors. “I know that this sort of blunt talk is not something one associates with the Mahatma. Simply put, I do not like the Germans, and I do not trust the Germans. I believe that we either do battle with them now, on our terms, while we can still fight them, or we give this problem to the next generation, when the Germans have even greater power and forces. I will ask each of you to think carefully about this, and we will meet again tomorrow morning at 10:00 to vote. We must give an answer to the German Ambassador by noon tomorrow, so we have the rest of today and tonight to consider. Meeting adjourned.” All the ministers stood and bowed as the Mahatma left the meeting chamber.

March 2, 250 BC

Ambassador Helmut Mayecker approached the inner doors of the Indian Imperial Palace. No one could have known from his bearing and his stride that he had never been as terrified before in his life. A war is coming between India and Germany. I know it, and no doubt the Chancellor and the Mahatma know it too. Why did this have to happen now? He had already been ordered to send home to Germany “all nonessential staff and dependents” given the deteriorating situation between India and Germany.

He remembered the specific orders he had received by aviary pigeon. It seemed that the Indians were sending troops into the Mustang area again. The Indian ambassador in Berlin had suggested that the German embassy in Delhi be the one to make the formal demand for their removal. It is more likely that the coward did not want to face the wrath of his own leader.

He thought about the conversation he had with his wife Helga last night. She had been his friend, his confidant, and his wife for nearly thirty years, and had insisted on coming with him to his final posting here in Delhi. He had tried his best to convince her to leave Delhi and return to Germany with the other wives and children, but she had refused. “How would it look to the Indians if the Ambassador's wife left town at a time of great tension?”

As the huge doors of the Imperial Palace were opened by six hard faced Sikh bodyguards, the Ambassador mused again about Helga. I could not persuade my own wife to leave for her own safety. What chance do I have to convince the Indians not to go to war?

His mood was not improved by the sight of the inner throne room. The Mahatma sat on a throne of ivory, with two great elephant tusks overlaid with gold on either side. He also realized that the usual two or three guards had been replaced by at least a dozen Sikh and Hindu guardsmen with huge swords at the hip. All this for one elderly unarmed German? This is either an attempt to threaten me or the start of the war.

The Ambassador stopped at the foot of the throne and bowed politely to the Indian leader. Using his best Hindi, he said “Greetings, Mahatma. Thank you for receiving me at such short notice.”

“It is a pleasure to see you again, Ambassador. I can see that you are a fine replacement for Ambassador von Ribbentrop.”

“To be precise, Mahatma, he is now Foreign Minister. I am merely his humble successor as Ambassador to India.”

“Ah yes. Well, to imitate your no doubt beloved Chancellor, I shall get straight to the point.”

The Ambassador was filled with horror at these words. He would usually spend a good half hour in pleasantries. This is not good at all.

The Mahatma continued speaking. “After careful consideration of both the spirit of the German demand to remove our peaceful troops from German lands, and of the nature of the increasingly hostile German attitude towards the Indian people...

OH NO!

...we regret to inform you that the Indian people will reject your arrogant demand. This means...WAR!” At this the guards drew their swords as one man.

“I regret this action very much, Mahatma. It is not like you to attack another people, especially one which has done you no harm in the many years since our two nations have met. You will bear the responsibility to history for the resulting deaths on both sides.”

“Enough! Guards, seize him!” Two of the guardsmen did just that as they bodily carried the elderly Ambassador from the throne room. As they approached the inner doors, the Mahatma called out. “Be grateful that you are not that aggravating, Ambassador. You, and the embassy staff who choose to surrender peacefully, will simply be interned for the duration of the war. The German embassy staff who do not surrender peacefully will become the first of many German casualties.”

OOS:

Gandhi decided to declare war over moving a warrior unit and a archer unit from my territory?!? :confused: I definitely didn't see that coming, though I did my best to write the story as if this actually made some sense.

Next up: the news of the war reaches Berlin and Germany strikes back.

March 15, 250 BC

The garden of the Missionaries of Charity convent in Antioch was just beginning to bloom in the early spring air. The sweet fragrance of the blooming flowers was a nice break for Sister Gertrude as she began her daily tasks of weeding and mulching. The tension that seemed to be in the very air of the border city was eased in the gentle natural beauty all around her.

There had been many knights who had ridden in silence past the convent walls on their way south toward the Indian frontier. Even a cloistered nun such as herself realized what these knights were probably up to.

I do hope this is simply some sort of drill. I do not want to even think about the possibility of a war with India.

Sister Gertrude was interrupted by a commotion near the convent wall. She could hear a sort of low growl from the convent cat as it leaped at something in the olive tree next to the wall. As she went over to investigate, she could see that the cat was trying to reach a large bird which was perched on one of the lower branches. The cat slunk away at Sister Gertrude's approach, and she could see that the gray feathers of the bird were mottled with blood. The head and part of the shaft of an older style arrow was stuck in the bird's left wing.

She gently carried the injured bird back into the parlor of the convent. Mother Hildegarde came in as Sister Gertrude looked for a good place to set the bird down.

“Mother, I found this bird in the olive tree. Can we do something for the poor thing?”

Mother Hildegarde shook her head after a brief examination. “I am sorry, but this bird has a broken wing and is far too badly injured. There seems to be something on its leg.” She took the small object off of the bird's leg with careful fingers.

“Why, it is some sort of message! This must be one of the new breed of homing pigeons I have heard about.” The capsule did indeed carry a message, but it seemed to be written in some sort of code. “I have a brother who works at the Turkish embassy. He has told me of these new homing pigeons. I think this must be some sort of important message. I had best go to the city governor at once and bring the message to him. He will be able to read it, or at least have it decoded and sent to the proper people.”

An hour later, Mother Hildegarde was in the office of Governor Furst. She handed the coded message to the Governor, and explained how it had come into her possession.

“I will have this translated and given to the proper authorities. Thank you for bringing this in, and please let me know if you see any other homing pigeons. Typically messages are sent in duplicate so that the message can still get through if something happens to one pigeon.”

After his visitor had left, Governor Furst unlocked a door in his desk and extracted a codebook. It took him some twenty minutes to decode the message, which read:

“ Troop withdrawal demand rejected by Gandhi. India has declared war on Germany. Embassy under attack. Escape impossible. Long live Bismarck and Germany!"

I cannot believe it. The Indians have declared war on US! “Ludwig! Get two messengers ready at once! I must send a report to the Field Marshall and to Berlin at once!”

March 26, 250 BC

Vice Chancellor Konrad von Bismarck paced his sumptuous office in the Imperial Palace. The sudden illness of his father had left him in effective control, regardless of his wishes. Even the magnificent carpet woven in Arabia and sent to Berlin at great cost meant nothing to him at the moment.

Why did Father have to get sick now, in an election year? The doctors do not seem to know what is wrong or how to cure it. And then there is the problem of the Indians. We should have heard from the embassy in Delhi days ago. Are the Indians going to declare war on us now, or will they withdraw their troops near Mustang?

He did not even know which option he wanted most. The illness of his father had brought many changes to his life. The upcoming election next week did not help his disposition either. I have had to give the #$% campaign speeches. Everyone will blame me if the Imperial Party loses the Chancellorship in the election next month.

Finally, he decided to go to the stables. I might as well get some exercise for Destrier. Maybe on horseback I can think of some way to deal with all these problems.

He had actually made it to the entrance to the paddock when a messenger came running up to him. “Vice Chancellor, a coded message from Delhi has just arrived!”

He took the offered message form and began to read the decoded contents:

“Indians refused troop withdrawal and declared war on Germany. Aviary messages sent to Antioch and Mustang. Embassy under attack. Escape impossible. Long live Bismarck and Germany!”

God in Heaven! That @#$ Gandhi actually declared war on us!

The Vice Chancellor dashed back into the Palace and took the stairs two at a time to the second floor where the infirmary for his father had been established. His way was blocked by an imposing physician.

“I am sorry, but your father is very ill right now.”

“Doctor, this is a national emergency. The Indians have declared war on Germany. I must speak to the Chancellor at once!”

The doctor reluctantly let the Vice Chancellor in. He saw that his father was propped up in bed, with a ghastly pallor to his face.

“Konrad!” called out the Chancellor in a weak but still commanding voice. “What has happened?”

“Father, we have just received word from our embassy in Delhi. Minister von Rittentrop was right. Gandhi has declared war on Germany!”

The Chancellor leaned back into his pillow. “Then you must follow the plan. You will speak to the Reichstag tomorrow, and tell them of the Indian betrayal. Send the necessary messages to Mustang and Antioch at once. Germany will rise up and defeat the Indians!”

“It shall be done, Father. You must rest now. I will take care of everything.”

The Chancellor nodded once and then closed his eyes as his son left the room.

March 27, 250 BC

Colonel Karl Mohen of the 15th Berliners read his hand delivered orders for the fourth time.

“To: Colonel Karl Mohen
2nd Regiment, Imperial Guards

RE: Indian Embassy

It is my sad duty to inform you that the Indians have declared war on Germany as of March 2nd. It is not known whether this information has reached the Indian Embassy here in Berlin. You are ordered to secure the embassy and intern the resident Indians there. The use of deadly force to secure the embassy has been approved. You are also ordered to prevent any unauthorized communications from the embassy, including any aviary messages, to the outside world.

It is highly preferable that this be done with as little bloodshed as possible. We believe that the Indians have only 19 guards in the embassy and its grounds. You have 24 hours to accomplish this task.

(Signed)
General Gunter Klaus
Commander, Office of Imperial Security

I do not believe the good General has any idea of the difficulty of the task he has set for me. “Karl! Wilhelm! We have received new orders. I want a perimeter of knights around the embassy and longbowmen on each of those buildings.”

Hmmm...sometimes the best approach is simply the direct one. The Colonel could see his orders being carried out by his subordinates. Satisfied, he said. “Karl, I want the rest of the regiment here at the front gates of the embassy. I am going in there. If I do not return in thirty minutes, you have my authority to attack and cut down every single Indian in the building.”

Colonel Mohen walked up to the front gate. The tall Sikh guard saw him, but made no move to open the gate.

“Guard, I am Colonel Karl Mohen of the Imperial German Army. I must speak with the Indian ambassador at once.”

“You shall not pass! Ambassador Vijay has given me strict orders not to let any German soldiers into the embassy grounds.”

“I will tell you this just one time, guard. I have received word that the Indians have declared war on Germany. I have orders to secure this embassy and intern the people inside. This can be done peacefully, or I can order my 250 knights to come in by force and kill every Indian in the embassy.” As if to underscore the colonel's blunt words, four squads of armored knights formed up in the square in front of the embassy gate. The Indian guard turned pale as he saw the morning sun shining on the gleaming armor of the German knights.

“I would prefer to speak to the Ambassador myself to avoid as much bloodshed as possible. I will simply order my men to attack unless you let me in. My report will blame the Indian guards for the resulting deaths.”

The guard hesitated for a moment, then reluctantly unlocked the gate and opened it just enough to let Colonel Mohen inside. Colonel Mohen waked forward with a confident stride, with the Sikh gate guard right on his heels. The inner guard gave him a nasty look before opening the door to the embassy building.

Inside he found a scene of chaos. The movements of his regiment had obviously been spotted by the Indians, and clerks were rushing about throwing armloads of papers into the fiercely burning fireplace in the foyer. Ambassador Vijay came out of the inner office and snarled at the colonel. “What are you doing here!”

“Ambassador, as I told the gate guard, I am here to secure the Indian embassy. I have received word that India has declared war on Germany.”

“I know nothing of this. I think it is more likely to be some trick of the treacherous Chancellor Bismarck.”

“Shall we discuss this here, or in your office, Ambassador?”

The Ambassador bowed to the inevitable. “Very well, come with me.” Both men entered the inner office of the embassy. To Colonel Mohen's surprise, someone else was sitting in the armchair in front of the desk, who was dressed in the simple blue and white habit of the Missionaries of Charity.

The woman in the armchair stood up and smiled at the colonel. “Colonel Mohen, I presume. I am Mother Agnes of the Missionaries of Charity.”

The colonel saluted and replied: “I am most surprised to see you, Mother Agnes. I regret very much that this is not a good place for you now. The Indians have declared war on us, and the embassy is to be secured.”

“No one is going to be securing this embassy!” said Ambassador Vijay.

Mother Agnes recoiled in shock for a moment, then calmly said, “Ambassador Vijay, you know that I am a simple woman of peace, not a soldier. Surely you cannot believe that you can hold out here for long.”

“At least I will send an aviary message to Delhi confirming this outrage!” Ambassador Vijay hurriedly took a message he had been working on from the desk and strode to the birdcages in the corner. It took only a moment to open one of the cages and attach the message to the pigeon inside and carry it to the window.

“I have a better idea to make certain this message reaches Delhi. Mother Agnes, would you be so good as to take the aviary pigeon and open the window to release it. None of the Germans surrounding the building will dare shoot at the pigeon if a German nun is holding it!”

Mother Agnes looked to the colonel for confirmation and received a slight nod in return. She carefully picked up the little bird and cradled it as the Ambassador opened the window. The Ambassador quickly stepped back out of sight and angrily gestured for her to come forward.

“Goodbye, little bird.” said Mother Agnes sadly as she lifted the bird over her head to release it. The bird fluttered its wings softly.

With absolutely no warning, a loud THUNK! was heard as a meter long shaft of wood and metal slammed into the bird and pinned it to the window frame.

“Get down! Those #$@ German soldiers of yours are shooting at us!”

Mother Agnes looked sadly at the Ambassador. “Actually, I am certain that we are in no immediate danger. Whoever shot that arrow could have killed either of us with ease. Instead he simply followed the orders of Colonel Mohen and prevented your aviary message from reaching Delhi.”

“That is quite true, Ambassador. My men have the embassy surrounded. This is one fight you cannot win. My men are under orders to attack unless I return within thirty minutes.”

“And what happens if we simply surrender?” snarled the Ambassador.

“You and the embassy staff and dependents will be placed under house arrest. You will not be harmed or killed. On that you have the word of a German officer.”

“Ambassador, you and I have worked together in the past to meet the needs of the poor in India. You have my word as a Missionary of Charity that I will do all in my power to make certain you and your people are treated well.”

The Ambassador seemed to deflate as he realized that he had very few options left. “Very well, Colonel. I ask that you give me and my staff one hour to pack up and prepare. You have my word as an Indian ambassador that none of my people will attempt to escape. In one hour we will proceed out of this embassy, and I will personally give you the keys to the doors.”

Colonel Mohen considered this for a moment. “My orders have given me some leeway in accomplishing the securing of the embassy. I will grant your request, on one small condition. I wish to take the last two pigeons I see over there into custody. I would prefer that my men not have to demonstrate their skills with the longbow again.”

“Perhaps I could take the birds, Ambassador.” suggested Mother Agnes. “I will make sure they are properly cared for.”

Ambassador Vijay stood and said. “I believe that will be acceptable, Mother Agnes. My daughter has taken care of these aviary pigeons for the last four years, ever since we have been posted here in Berlin. She will probably grieve more for the one your men killed than for her own fate. At least I can tell her that the other pigeons will be properly looked after.”

“One thing more. Please tell your people that this war was not my doing. I have devoted my adult life to the cause of peace, and I grieve at this war as much as either of you.”

Colonel Mohen saluted the Ambassador. “My report will prominently feature your honor and nobility in this unfortunate situation. No one will blame you for the war.” Turning to Mother Agnes, he added: “Let us go. I must reassure my troops that an attack will not be required.”

Mother Agnes crossed to the birdcages holding the remaining two pigeons, and carefully lifted them off the table. “Please assure your daughter for me that these birds will be taken care of.”

“I will, Mother Agnes. Farewell and may your God go with you.”

Colonel Mohen and Mother Agnes quickly left the embassy. They walked past the outer gate, with its lone guard, and stepped out into the bright morning sunshine.

“Hans! Karl! We have reached an agreement with the Ambassador. They will surrender in one hour. I want you to detail someone to get these birds to the convent of the Missionaries of Charity, and I want to see whoever fired that arrow at the aviary pigeon.”

“Yes, Colonel. It shall be done.” An orderly quickly took the birdcages from Mother Agnes, and after saluting her, quickly rode off.

A young soldier carrying a longbow came running up and quickly saluted his colonel. “Sgt. Tell reporting as ordered, sir!

“Sgt. Tell, is it. Do you know how close you came to killing a German nun just now!”

The young sergeant looked defiantly at his commander. “Sir, permission to speak freely, sir?”

“Denied! I ought to bust you down to private for that idiotic stunt!”

“Colonel, if I may be permitted to say something?”

The Colonel scowled at Mother Agnes. “This is a military matter, not a concern of yours.”

“Actually, Colonel, it is a great concern of mine. You see, Wilhelm here is my nephew.”

“Your nephew?!? Why, by the love of all that is holy, did you take the shot with your own aunt in harm's' way!?”

“Sir, your orders were to stop communications from the embassy. I knew that I could take the shot without harming Mother Agnes, but that the other two longbowmen could not. I also knew they would not risk hitting her, and so a vital message would get out that it was my duty to stop. It worked, as you can see. Mother Agnes was not harmed, and the message was stopped.”

“I see. Then there is only one thing to add. You are out of uniform...Captain Wilhelm Tell. You and I are going back to headquarters and get that matter taken care of, once the Indians have formally surrendered.”

March 27, 250 BC

Vice-Chancellor Konrad von Bismarck strode to the podium in the Reichstag Chamber. He could barely keep his voice from trembling as he began the most important speech of his life.

“Good afternoon. I regret that the illness of the Chancellor prevents him from bringing this message himself. It is my duty to bring you and the good people of Germany grave news this day."

“Two divisions of Indian troops have crossed into German territory without our authorization or approval and are approaching the city of Mustang. We have asked the Indians to withdraw these forces from our lands.”

“It is my sad duty to report that the Indian response was not satisfactory. The Indians refused to remove their troops from our territory. The Indian leader, Mahatma Gandhi, has chosen to declare war on Germany.” The Vice Chancellor paused as a murmur of shock and dismay passed like a wave through the Reichstag Chamber.

“We have received aviary messages from our embassy in Delhi confirming the Indian treachery. The last messages we have received stated that the German embassy has been attacked by the Indians. The fate of Ambassador Mayecker and the embassy staff is unknown at this time. They may very well be dead at the hands of the Indians.”

“I have just received word concerning the Indian embassy here in Berlin. In contrast to the brutality and treachery of the Indians, our Imperial Guards were able to negotiate the peaceful surrender of the Indian Ambassador and his staff as of this morning. I wish to acknowledge in particular the efforts of Colonel Karl Mohen and Captain Wilhelm Tell in securing the Indian embassy without loss of life on either side."

“It is now my grave duty to ask the Reichstag to make a formal declaration of war against India. The German people may rest assured that, with the help of Almighty God, our military forces will deal with the Indian treachery. We shall destroy the Indian invaders near Mustang, as well as any other Indian forces that choose to invade the great nation of Germany!”

”Thank you and God bless Germany!”

Top Bottom