Blood on the Field of Lilies

Nuka-sama

See ya! It has been a fun decade!

A tale is but half told when only one person tells it

This is an IOT set during a period that resembles our own world’s late medieval era, early renaissance era, taking place on a continent in a world eerily different from our own. You will control noble houses who through force of spells, swords, and speeches will fight for wealth and glory in a world where dark forces are lurking just beyond the light.

The Empire of Taleise is a powerful nation, dominating the continent of Magnolia. For the past seventy years, it was ruled by a vicious tyrant, Emperor Valerian, who taxed the population into starvation and despair. He maintained his rule through powerful wizards, who were forced to serve him out of fear; after all, no one could challenge their strength.

The people of Taleise lived in fear of the Emperor until the Hero put a stop to his reign. After defeating the tyrant’s most powerful lieutenants, the Hero road forward to challenge the Tyrant Valerian. Some wizards, eager for freedom, others for glory or personal gain, fought with the Hero and, after a sixteen-day battle, the Tyrant, at last, was slain.

The Hero was crowned Emperor after the Tyrant’s death, and he has reigned now for five years. However the battle with the Tyrant had taken a toll on him, and he often was incapacitated due to the pain, leaving ruling to his advisors. Now, the Hero Emperor is barely coherent anymore, spending most of his days asleep. He has taken to babbling nonsense, and the healers say he has days to live.

Many say that the Imperial Court should soon call a Great Council, to determine who is to sit the throne next. There are dark whispers, terrible rumors abound the capital, of nobles, thinking treasonous thoughts, that if they became wealthy and powerful through one war, how much higher could they climb after another?

And all the while, on the edges, a haunting, familiar darkness continues to creep throughout Magnolia. Can it be held off? Or were these past five years merely the illusion of peace?

Welcome

Hi all, my name is Nuka-sama and this is my first project in some time. I have been wanting to run a fantasy nobility game for some time now, (apparently for years) and I feel that now is a ripe time to do it.

In this game, you will be controlling a noble house and the characters that make up said house. Some of the main elements of the game are magic (and discovering its secrets), politics, warfare, city building, and exploration. You are not required to participate in all of them, or even most of them; if you want to simply explore the world of Magnolia, or hunker down with your civic planning blueprints, you can have quite a fun game.

Acknowledgments

First and foremost, thank you to Seon for helping me significantly, particularly with the map and the mechanics, but with the setting and the game itself more broadly. I could not have done it without his immeasurable help.

I would also like to acknowledge Thlayli, from whom I shamelessly plundered the traits from his old game, which was shamefully taken from us due to circumstances beyond his control.

Thomas helped with providing some place names; cheers Thomas, and thank you!

If I bothered you with a frantic ask to read my ruleset or if I fearfully messaged you at 2 AM for "a" or "the", consider this a thank you too :)

Setting

This game draws heavily from fantasy, medieval, and renaissance tropes and themes. Great magic is being used every day, and fantastic, dangerous beasts roam the land; particularly concerning are those of dragons. There are ruins to explore, legendary weapons to find, great companions to be made; there are also dangerous monsters lurking in the shadows, and the darkness that once ruled over this land might be closer than we all had hoped….

Signing Up

Step 1: Creating your house

Spoiler :
To play this game you will need to start with creating a noble house. I will first need the following from you:

House Name:
Magic:
Background:

I have an example below (this will all look much better in Excel):

Name: House de Tours
Dominant Magic: Elemental
Background: Patrician

Ok perfect, so what does this mean! From the top;

House Name: Straightforward, what is your House’s name? Most Taleisean names would sound French in our world. Generally, most families should be Taleisean, but if for whatever reason you insist, there are some options. If your family is from Nerlandais, you may use Germanic sounding names and if you are from Orlandy, you may use more Italian sounding names. Taleisean families can be found in both Nerlandais and Orlandy as well.

Dominant Magic: What your family has practiced for generation after generation. Your options are Elemental, Light, Dark, Alchemy, and Ritual; they are detailed in “The Magic of Magnolia”. Generally, magic is primarily going to be used as stat modifiers, though creative folks may find some interesting applications.

Background: Essentially where your family comes from. What your family raised you to do ever since you could walk and what you, in turn, taught your child. Each background has a stat bonus, and a stat penalty, but also comes with some interesting baggage and perks; some good, some less so. Some quick notes on background:

Some notes on House background.
  1. The background applies to all members of the family
  2. The background is important in determining stats, but is not an end all, be all. A patrician character with traits such as ‘Heroic’ and ‘Hardy’ could well have a higher martial score than his charm score
There are five main classes listed below.

Spoiler :
Scholar-A family of college wizards, who primarily spent their years at the college, leaving only to join the Hero’s rebellion. Understanding of deep knowledge of magic, but seen as an eccentric by imperial society writ large and can get lost amidst all their experiments. +Knowledge -Intendance

Governor-A long line of imperial administrators who had served the crown, they eventually sided with the hero over the tyrant, and was able to enrich themselves greatly, if at the expense of others. Very well connected and knows how to run a domain to the maximum efficiency, though less knowledgeable about the nasty business of warfare. +Intendance, -Martial

Chevalier-One trained from their earliest days in the ways of knighthood, magic, combat, and command, they achieved the story of the greatest fairy tales, of fighting the evil tyrant and slaying them alongside the hero. The Chevalier has great enthusiasm for all matters of war and combat, but has little time for books and dusty scrolls. +Martial, -Knowledge

Agent-A former agent of the tyrant, one who know all the ins and outs of Taleise. They may have been among the last to join the Hero, but what they brought to his cause was invaluable. Former Imperial agents stay close to one another. +Guile, -Appeal

Patrician-The head of an ancient and most noble house, with deep ties to Taleise’s most powerful houses. The subjugation by the tyrant was an unfortunate period in their history, but the family proudly guided the hero to victory...and reaped their due rewards of course. They are well regarded for the prestige they have, but have a bit of trouble getting their hands dirty. +Appeal, -Guile

Want another class? Just ask me, and if it makes sense thematically, I’d be happy to add it in. Just let me know where to apply their bonus and malus.

Now that we have created your house, we will go on to character creation! Creating your characters is simple. First, determine how many characters you have; you will need a minimum of one, and a maximum of six. When creating a character, I will need to know their name, their place in the family, and their age.

You will then need to give them traits. Some traits have positive points, others have negative points. See the below chart for properly balancing your family members.

The Chart

So in this chart, a family of three will be allowed to take traits that have up to a positive sum of 14 and will need a minimum amount of 5 negative points.

You may notice that as you scale up the size of your family, the benefits are diminishing. That is the tradeoff; while more family members will give you more options, they will individually be weaker.

Traits are generally how your character is going to approach and react to different situations. They do have some stat application, but what is perhaps more important is how they react in different situations.

For example, if you are a Kind character, you may have higher Appeal, but in a situation where you have defeated an enemy army, you may allow the survivors to retreat unharmed; even if it would be in your interest to run them down! A Craven character probably wouldn’t retreat if they had a two to one advantage in battle, but would be more likely to retreat instead of fight if confronted with a force equal in size. Traits are listed below, along with costs.

Spoiler :
Brilliant (+5) - This character has effortlessly perfect knowledge of magic, truly a genius compared to his or her peers.

Beloved (+4) - Through constant acts of nobility and self-sacrifice, and in possession of a regal figure, this character has gained the adoration of almost all around them.

Heroic (+4) - This character is an extremely inspiring martial leader, both physically fit and skilled in a command role on the battlefield, and encourages those under their command to new heights

Dreaded (+4)-This character is an extremely terrifying martial leader, physically fit and skilled in a command role on the battlefield and inspires fear in their opponents

Dignified (+3) - This character has achieved a decent amount of prestige, and is well-respected by their neighbors. Attacking them without good cause would seem amiss.

Innovative (+3) - This character will occasionally come up with exciting and unexpected ideas in a variety of different situations; they’re not guaranteed to work, however.

Educated (+3)- This character has attended one of the two colleges of Taleise, either the orthodox College of Champilême, or the...decidedly unorthodox College of Besangueux.

Master (+3)- This character has devoted a lifetime of study to "______"

Smart (+2) - This character has a solid overall knowledge of most things, and can pick up new information quickly.

Wise (+2) - While lacking in academic knowledge, this character has an intuitive understanding of the ways of the world.

Hardy (+2) - This character is strong, and can hold their own in battle.

Attractive (+2) - This character is pleasing to the eye.

Kind (+2) - It is obvious to any that know them that this character does good for goodness' sake.

Loyal (+2) - This individual seeks to serve a greater cause with all their being, and will die defending it if necessary.

Trained (+2) - Through years of training, this character has become quite good at ____. (Non magic related)

Clever (+2) - Not necessarily Smart, this character has a great understanding of social situations and dialogue. In an Amoral character, could be manipulative.

Handy (+1) - This character enjoys making or fixing things; they have the natural abilities of a craftsman with no special training.

Just (+1) - This character has a strong sense of right and wrong. This tends to improve subjects opinions of them, though it can also cause friction.

Friendly (+1) - This character gets along well with people and has plenty of friends.

Diligent (+1) - This character is a good planner and steadfast worker, and doesn’t usually make stupid mistakes.

Artistic/Musical/Literary (+1) - This character is especially skilled at music, writing, or the visual arts. Not very helpful, but adds peace of mind.

Skilled (+1) - This character is an above average ____. (Non magic related)

Lucky (+1) - Be it fate or fortune, the little things up to chance tend to fall this character’s way.

Moral (+0) - Has a personal code of values they will not betray if possible.

Amoral (+0) - Will do anything necessary to achieve their goals, reprehensible or not.

Patient (+0) - Prefers to wait before acting.

Proactive (+0) - Prefers to seize the initiative.

Idealist (+0) - Prefers to believe that the world can be a better place.

Cynic (+0) - Prefers to see individuals and the world as flawed and selfish.

Pious (+0) - This character is a firm believer in the power of God.

Temperamental (-1) - While not constantly boiling over with rage, this character has a tendency to get cross when crossed.

Distant (-1) - This individual has trouble connecting emotionally with others, and comes across as cold.

Slow (-1) - This character isn’t dumb, they just...like to take their time figuring things out.

Shy (-1) - This character has trouble meeting new people, and lacks personal charisma.

Arrogant (-1) - Justified or not, this character has extreme confidence in his or her abilities, to the point of belittling others at times.

Depraved (-1) - This character has a slight over enthusiasm for certain unorthodox sexual practices. Not necessarily a problem unless word gets out.

Homosexual (-1) - This character prefers the company of the same sex. A public embarrassment and a hindrance to procreation, but not crippling.

Vain (-1) - This character cares a little too much about their personal appearance.

Dishonest (-1) - This character isn’t afraid of bending the truth where necessary. But cheaters never prosper...usually.

Trusting (-2) - This character takes people's word at face value.

Profligate (-2) - This character enjoys spending money, and is often rather wasteful with it.

Wroth (-2) - Even unto violence, this character cannot control his boiling rage.

Rebellious (-2) - This character dislikes authority, whether legitimate or illegitimate, and will constantly have conflicts with their superiors.

Obsessive (-2) - This individual is fixated on an idea or a person; or they have obsessive behavior that repeatedly manifests with various subjects.

Cruel (-2) This character takes a certain amount of pleasure in the exaction of pain, or is simply used to inflicting it.

Cowardly (-2) This character flees at the sight of battle and conflict, or at the least is extremely ineffective when facing it.

Lazy (-2) - This character is seriously lacking in motivation.

Ugly (-2) - This character has not been blessed with a perfectly symmetrical face.

Stupid (-2) - This character is seriously slow on the uptake.

Sickly (-3) - This character suffers from a serious, incurable illness. Though they endure for now, they are very weak and could die anytime.

Crazed (-3) - This character has a serious mental disability like schizophrenia or epilepsy that regularly impairs their ability to govern and may threaten their health.

Addicted (-3) - This individual has developed a dependency on a chemical substance, most likely alcohol. This could prove extremely problematic.

Incompetent (-3) - This character suffers from an overarching lack of ability that inspires pity in neighbors and terror in subordinates.

Diabolical (-4) - This character is a vicious psychopath who lives to terrorize others, and will almost inevitably be hated and feared by all around them.

Incapacitated (-5) - This character cannot speak coherently or otherwise act; for all intents and purposes they are a vegetable.

Some notes
  1. If you pick a neutral trait, keep it to 1 or 2, as many overlap.
  2. You may create a maximum of six total characters
  3. Each character must have at least one negative and one positive trait, even if you’re over the negative point minimum.
  4. Children *do* count towards the six character maximum.
  5. Children *do not* count towards the adult point limit.
  6. You may add one positive point to your family’s pool for children above age five; you may add two positive points for children above the age of twelve.
  7. Children age five and up must have one (and only one) trait. Children age twelve and up must have two (and only two) traits. Children are considered adults at age 16.
  8. To prevent abuse of the system, you may not add a child higher than age 12.
  9. You may have up to two total children; only one can be age 12.

Spoiler :
Lucius de Tours (Head of House)
Traits: Dignified, Lucky, Moral, Vain

Rosalina de Tours
Traits: Loyal, Kind, Sickly

Son: Robert de Tours
Traits: Hardy, Lucky, Diligent, Depraved

So for example, in that hypothetical de Tours family could have two extra children. If they were both five years old, that would give them a total of 14 positive points, and 5 negative points.

Additional Information is always appreciated. Family history, past deeds, what you were doing in the Hero’s War, etc. Most nobles in Taleise sided decisively either with the Hero or the Tyrant; the former being richly rewarded, the latter being killed or driven into exile.

Due to the nature of magic, characters can live up to a hundred, or even a hundred and twenty before dying of natural causes; as such, a character’s “prime years” are significantly extended compared to regular humans, Keep this in mind.

Last edited:
Step 2: Select your location

Spoiler :
Now that you have created a house of nobility, it is time to decide where your demesne is. There are seven duchies: Clermont, Bourtaigne, Orlandy, Montcastel, Franchpais, Nerlandais, and Pentherve. More details about these regions can be found below under the tab “Regions of Taleise”.

You will either be a Duc, a Marquis or a Comte. A Duc controls the entire duchy and owes their allegiance directly to the crown, who in turn designates a Warden.

Answering to the Duc is the Marquis or the Comte. There is little difference between the Marquis and the Comte, except for locations; Marquis are found in the border regions, while Comte are in the imperial interior.

If you could let me know which region you are looking to be a part of, where in the region you’d like your demesne to be, and if you’d prefer to be a Duc or Marquis/Comte, that would be appreciated. Because Clermont will not need a Duc, I will need Six Ducs in total. I will choose the Ducs (who will be the ‘major’ houses) based on a few different criteria, primarily experience and quality of sign-up.

My preference would then to have two Marquis/Comte per duchy at maximum, again, not counting Clermont.

If you and a group of players wish to cooperate on a sign up for a region, I’m more than happy to work with you.

After that, we’re done! Simple, no?

How to play the game

Spoiler :
Now that you’ve signed up, got your Brilliant/Obsessed/Addicted/Lucky Wizard noble family filled out, set up your pretty chateau in the scenic Penthervean countryside, you may be asking “Now what Nuka? What do I do with all these balanced, well-thought-out characters?” Thankfully, as moderator of this IOT, I have some answers for you!

This game will progress with the use of a turn-based system. Each turn is either a Summer or a Winter turn, representing a six month period. In that time, you will be able to direct your characters, collect your income, pay your expenses, and spend whatever is left over.

Each turn you have 6 “Action Points” for your entire family, to represent broadly what you’ll be doing for that six month period. Action points represent a combination of both time and effort when used, and I would suggest that if you are particularly desiring to do something that you consider using multiple action points.

The six action points can be divided among your family members at your leisure, so long as a character does not take more than 3 actions.

Here are some potential actions. This list is by no means exhaustive, but I hope can help serve as a guide for what you could be doing with your time, skill and resources permitting.

Spoiler :

• Traveling (longer distances may require the consumption of multiple Action Points)
  • Studying magic or another skill
  • Socializing with fellow nobles on the Clermont ball circuit
  • Participating in tournaments
  • Participating in duels
  • Performing a ritual
  • Fighting on a military campaign (will likely take all of your Action Points for that turn)
  • Investigating a person
  • Improving the management of your holdings
  • Stealing from someone’s treasury
  • Arranging for the assassination of a rival
  • Going on a hunt
  • Exploring parts of the country
  • Hosting a party
  • Administering your territory
  • Giving birth
  • Any other action of significance

“Wow! That’s a ton of actions!” you say, enthusiastically and not at all sarcastically. “So I just say something, and it’s done? Just like that?”

Well, not quite! All actions you take will be guided by your traits and your attributes, and these will determine if your action is a resounding success or a humiliating defeat.

MAGIK rules everything around me

So, first thing’s first. When you take any action, there will be a corresponding stat (or stats!) that will help determine your success ratio. Those stats are MAGIK-Martial, Appeal, Guile, Intendance, Knowledge.

Bellow, I go into detail about what each one means, and when that stat will be applied to the situation at hand.

Martial-This reflects ability at warfare and magical combat.
Appeal-This reflects ability to negotiate and please people.
Guile-This reflects skill at manipulation and scheming
Intendance-This reflects the management of your demesne, finances, and subordinates.
Knowledge-A measure of a character’s learning; how much do they know about the world of magic, and indeed, the world at large?

Each of your characters will be given a score in each of the MAGIK categories, determined in part by your background and traits. Scores can be improved with training and experience, or can be harmed due to injury, sickness, or some other calamity.

Actions may be governed by multiple stats and traits. For example, a character with high martial and guile with the cunning trait might be able to create a battle plan full of tricks, while a character with high Appeal and Knowledge with the friendly trait might be able to glean some extra knowledge from a fellow wizard.

One thing to note: if you are using magic, you will need energy. The more magic you do, the more energy you will need. Using magic at a high level is rather taxing on the body, and you will need to be careful about overexerting yourself. To be on the safe side, I would recommend in your actions that you take no more than one action that would require high levels of output and intensity of magic.

House Stats

While individual stats are of course quite important, a House is more than the sum of its parts. In your stats, you will find details about the resources of your house; how much money you can spend, how many men you can send to fight, how seriously people take the name of your house. All are quite important if you are to survive in the Empire.

Prestige is how well-regarded your family is. It is particularly valuable in negotiations with NPCs and has an effect on your troops in battle (higher prestige means higher morale). Prestige can be gained and lost by how well you are regarded by high society in the empire, particularly in Clermont. This does not mean you have to keep up appearances in the imperial capital per say (though it is one way to gain prestige); winning a military campaign, finding a rare item, or discovering a secret of magic can all help increase your prestige.

Aside from prestige, there is also Renown which is how (in)famous your character is. The higher the number is, positive or negative, the better your character is known.

Your Chancery details the amount of money you can spend in a given turn. Income is how much money you make from your various holdings; Expenses are how much it costs to maintain your commitments (troops, buildings, patronage, ect.). Treasury is what you have saved up, and is a physical representation of your gold and emeralds, with all the connotations that go with it

Retinue are the soldiers you have actively called to arms, who are traveling with you or protecting your estate. It can be handy to have some fighting men near you in a pinch. These men can be staying at your estate or can stay with you in Clermont, provided you can accommodate them at your mansion. Soldiers in your retinue will cost money each turn they are active.

Levy are the men you can call upon when you ‘raise the banners’. Soldiers in your levy will cost money only when they are raised

Holdings are essentially what property you own. At the start, you will own a small mansion in Clermont, and either a duchy or a compte, depending on your rank.

Vassals will be noted, generally who they are and how much they are contributing to your treasury.

Stories and Engagement

By nature of this sort of game, player involvement is crucial. Stories, roleplay, even a particularly in character diplomatic note will earn you kudos and resources; nothing game breaking, but definitely worthwhile.

Last edited:

Politics of Taleise

Spoiler :
Currently, the Taleisean Empire is ruled by the Hero Emperor, and all political power derives from his authority. He has, in turn, empowered a regency council due to his illness, who in turn exercises the full authority of the imperial throne. The current council is made up of the Four Wardens, each of whom was one of the hero’s closest allies during the fight against Emperor Valerian

Because the Emperor has unlimited authority, the Regency Council can exercise it at its discretion. However, due to intense infighting, the Regency Council has become more or less completely ineffective. With a coming succession crisis, there is some talk of calling a Great Council, where every noble would have the right to weigh in on the matters of the realm and make the decisions that clearly the regency council has been unable to.

The one who holds the throne controls the royal revenues and can grant great boons to their allies and loyal subjects. Here are some examples:

Spoiler :

Bestow Imperial Chevaliers
Exemption from taxes
Bestow Imperial Honor
Bestow a Patent of War

Going to War

Spoiler :
At some point, you may find it necessary to go to war, be it against a group of bandits, a fellow noble, or a foreign country.

Assemble an army: You will need to determine which of your soldiers will be brought to war. Principles of mass and troop composition both matter. Your retinue will be available to you immediately, but if you need more soldiers, you may also decide to ‘call the banners’ and reinforce yourself with levies.

Imperial nobles can recruit the following troop types. Troops can be recruited by spending 1 Action; some troops, specifically magical ones, will also require gold.

Spoiler :

Light Infantry-Skirmishers primarily, with light armor. They can fight with ranged and melee weapons. They cost little to maintain and are easy to train. They are not particularly good against any type of troops, but can cause casualties against their enemies.

Heavy Infantry-Heavily armored infantry units. They fight well in the vanguard and in sieges, but can be easily outflanked. Excellent against pikemen and light infantry, but weak against cavalry and battle mages.

Pikemen-Armored units fighting with long pikes. Well-drilled with excellent morale, and can be decisive against chevaliers and light cavalry, though do poorly against heavy infantry and battle mages. Can only be trained in Nerlandais and Orlandy.

Light Cavalry- Light skirmishing units that do particularly well in hit and run situations, particularly against mages, but are not nearly as effective in charges as Chevaliers.

Chevaliers-Magical units. These are the greatest soldiers of Taliese, unmatched in battle prowess. They fight on horseback, using their magic to augment heavy charges. Weak against Pikemen. Cannot be trained, and only be granted by the monarch or regent of Taliese.

Battle Mages-Magical heavy armored infantry. They fight with sword and spell, and are excellent against all other infantry and mages, but are susceptible to cavalry. Can be recruited for 100 livres

Siege Mages-Wizards specifically trained to work in tandem with others to produce powerful spells to destroy castle walls. Can be used defensively, but are generally useless on the field. Can be recruited for 100 livres

Ritual Mages-Wizards specifically trained to support powerful Ritual mages in their spells. Generally unused in battle. Can be recruited for 100 livres

Shadow Walkers-Wizards specifically trained to conduct operations from the shadows. Generally unused in battle. Cannot be recruited except via special event.

Decide who leads it: You may personally lead your army, or appoint another character you control to lead the army. If you do not choose to do so, you may be able to procure the services of a mercenary Marcher general.

Set a campaign goal: What will the army be doing? What are its objectives? Ideally give me an idea of what they will achieve, or specific targets they should be reaching.

Ensure they and their supplies can move forward: If you are marching across land of other nobles, you will need permission. The easiest way to do this is to gain a Patent of War, endorsed by the Council, which grants passage to an army that is to fight in a war sanctioned by the crown. If not, you will need to make direct arrangements with the noble whose territory you are going through.

Note: Nobles generally have a ‘right of passage’ throughout Taleise and an escort of enough men to protect themselves from stray bandits. If you are traveling with no more than a single company, you generally are able to travel throughout the Empire as you please.

Prepare for casualties: Whenever your units are used, they are in danger of sustaining casualties. In minor skirmishes, your casualties will usually be represented by loss of gold, symbolizing the need to replace small numbers of soldiers. But in a large scale event or a major battle can wipe out a company entirely. You will then need to spend AP to recruit new soldiers to replace them

Your Demense

Spoiler :
Where you will likely be earning most, if not all, of your income. Your demesne is a collection of countryside, towns, villages, and even cities. Let’s take a look at some example stats

Duchy of Orlandy
Prosperity: 220
Taxes: 10%
Stability: 10

Prosperity is a measure of your demense’s economy. Mines, villages, towns, cities, farms, these all combine to give you your prosperity rating. This, along with your tax level, makes your overall income.

You can take some actions to improve your prosperity, listed below.

Spoiler :
Construct Improvements-If you are interested in directly improving the prosperity of your demesne, you can order the construction of improvements; this might be building marketplaces and road stations, expanding farms and mines, paving roads, anything!

Constructing improvements costs (Prosperity level)/3

A skilled Alchemist can reduce the cost of constructing improvements to (Prosperity level)/5

Appoint Administer-If you or one of your characters is in your demesne, you may assign them to run the administration of the province. By empowering such an administrator, you will be able to ensure things are done, ideally, promptly, efficiently, and effectively...so long as they have a high Intendancy level! An administrator can help boost the overall prosperity of the province but most of their effects are temporary, and will fade as they leave (though some of their efforts, if they were in position for long enough, may become permanent)

Taxes are how you extract the wealth of your land and put it into your treasury. Determine the rate you wish to tax at, and your collectors will enforce your will.

Note: Taxes cannot be collected in ‘Chaos’ Stability level
Note: Extreme taxation level is just that: extreme. Keep taxation 'extreme' at your own risk. The greatest wizard of the ages only lost his life by doing it, what do you have to fear?

(0-.5-1-2-4)
None-Low-Moderate-High-Extreme

Stability is a measure of how stable your demesne. Generally, this will default to ‘Safe’ but if you have issues with crime, bandits, or raiding, you will need to deal with them or suffer loss of income, prosperity, or even face rebellions!

(0-.25-.5-1)
Chaotic-Dangerous-Unsafe-Safe

Your Mansion

Spoiler :
Your familial residence in Clermont, right in the heart of Le Marais. All wizards of rank make sure to maintain a residence here. After all, if one is to play a part in imperial politics, it is vital to maintain a presence, not just physically, but socially as well.

In the mansion you will be able to employ skilled craftsmen to build out specialized rooms that can only be built in Clermont. Buildings can provide stat bonuses to you and your family, improve your familial prestige, and bring special unique effects and events.

Every character will have a mansion at the start of the game.

See the building list below

Spoiler :

Mansion-The bare minimum of what is acceptable for a noble of good standing to maintain in Clermont. Rooms at this level require 100 livres. When all rooms are completed, it costs 100 livres to upgrade to a ‘Grand Mansion’.

Barracks-Provides housing for 1 company of soldiers (Can be built multiple times)

Training Room-Provides a space for you to practice combat. +1 Martial

Wine Cellar-A necessity of inviting good company over is having good wine. Provides +1 Appeal to each of your family’s characters

Chapel-Provides a small bonus to piety and a place to pray.

Archive-A handy place to keep your documents. +1 Intendance

Small Library-A wizard cannot be too far from their most essential books. +1 Knowledge

Grand Mansion-A large city estate, at this point equal to what some wealthy members of the nobility had before the Rebellion.Rooms cost 150 livres, and when all are completed, the Grand Mansion can be upgraded to a Palace for 200 livres.

Garden-A fine place to plot or stroll through in the middle of the day, complete with a scenic pond. +1 Appeal

Mage’s Quarters-Provides rooms that are dignified enough for a mage to reside in. Provides housing for 1 company of mages. (Can be built multiple times)

Private Art Collection-This room will allow you to display prominent pieces of artwork you have collected, enhancing the prestige they grant you.

Stable-Provides lodging for the horses of 1 company of cavalry (Can be built multiple times

Secret Passage-If, in a terrible circumstance you need to leave your mansion, it helps to have one of these. In addition, it provides +1 Guile

Ballroom-A place for dancing, parties, and social connections to be formed; having one is a necessity before hosting a party.

Palace-What the greatest of nobles had in the height of the Age of Lilies, the city palace represents the wealth of an incredibly powerful noble. Each room costs 200 livres, and when all are completed, the Palace can be upgraded to a Grand Palace for 300 livres.

Statue Garden-This will allow you to prominently display statues you have acquired or commissioned, enhancing the prestige they grant you.

Dungeon-Provides space for you to hold prisoners in secret

Administrative Offices-An office full of stewards that are helping manage your demesne. Provides a reduction of cost in upgrading your holdings.

Grand Library-A vast collection of books and scrolls. +2 Knowledge

Fortified Vault-A vault sealed with powerful magic, only a member of your family or a team of dedicated enchantment breakers would be able open it. +Significant security for your treasures.

Grand Palace-Beyond even the Imperial Palace in the height of the Age of Lillies. Those who hold such a palace would symbolize your family’s incredible wealth and power, unrivaled by any on the continent of Magnolia. Buildings cost 300 livres, and completing every room will give you a major prestige boost

Alchemist’s Lab-A room equipped with the latest and greatest of Taliesean alchemic equipment and a staff to boot. The Alchemist’s Lab can provide a steady stream of potions and, for those who practice alchemy themselves, this can be a place for them to forge powerful potions that cannot be purchased anywhere in the realm.

Experimentation Room-A room where one might try…dangerous magic and techniques with a lower chance of death or worse

Great Forge-A forge infused with incredible magic, the Great Forge can produce weapons and armor of the highest quality, either to improve your troops or to craft heroic weapons and armor.

Grand Ballroom-A ballroom that is much grander in scale and can host parties of epic proportions.

Practice Room-Provides a room that allows idle characters to attempt to improve their martial.

Last edited:

Magic

Spoiler :
Magic in this world is a powerful force, allowing wizards to bend forces of reality to their will. However, it is not an easy study to learn. It does not take a lifetime; it takes lifetimes. A family will pass down a geas filled with the family’s arcane knowledge, fostered from as far back as the Age of Heroes. Wizards are, in most countries, the sole members of the ruling noble class.

Due to how difficult it is to study magic, wizards are limited to only the study of their family’s chosen field. A prodigy trying to study in a field they do not have an affinity for might, after a lifetime of study, be able to show off a few parlor tricks. As such, most do not bother attempting to delve into another field. That being said; two wizards from different fields combining their powers can create some interesting results.

Magic requires energy to use. The human body provides some energy, but other sources may need to be found for “greater” magic; to date, the most common source for energy are butterfly wings (legal) and humans (decidedly less so). Below detailed are the five schools of magic.

Elemental Magic is the use of elements found in nature, and altering them to one’s will. This can mean lowering or raising the temperature, changing directions, speed, and more. The most common elements wizards are able to shift are water, heat, earth, and wind.

A subcategory of water magic is blood magic. It is a highly illegal field of study, but it is hypothesized that a wizard of significant strength would, under proper conditions, be able to control the body of another human being.

In the game, you will primarily receive Martial modifiers when using elemental magic.

Alchemy is a branch of magic that works closely with metals and elixirs. Alchemists are able to transmute types of metals into other metals, transform the shape of metals, and are well-versed in the crafting of potent elixirs. This sort of magic is quite financially lucrative; many of Valence’s wealthiest families are alchemists. Alchemy is governed by the laws of equivalent exchange; one cannot gain something from nothing.

There are two rules that an alchemist must abide by; they must never attempt to transmute a metal into gold, and they must never transmute a human soul.

In the game, you will primarily receive Intendance bonuses from Alchemy.

Light Magic draws its strength from sources of light. It is primarily illusory magic that better frames the subject; makes them look better, makes them sound better, makes people feel better. Practical applications include making one’s self the center of attention, making a dazzling arrival at the latest court party, and making people feel sense of calm euphoria. Though Light Magic is rarely used in combat, wizards have been known to blind everyone in a room or even on the field of battle. Because there needs to be a light source to use the magic, many Light wizards carry a glowing crystal on their person.

It is said that Light Magic was the first magic of the humans, and with it, they fought the darkness from so long ago: one must wonder how they did it with light tricks. Scholars assume that there are many lost secrets to Light Magic, but they are lost to us. The only 'advanced' magic one can do with Light Magic is that of healing, though it takes rigorous amounts of study to do so.

In the game, you will primarily receive Appeal bonuses from Light magic.

The other side of the coin from Light magic is Dark Magic. It draws its power from lack of light; many Dark wizards draw their power from their shadows. It is primarily an illusory magic, and its most common application is to make oneself invisible to the naked eye or to envelope a room in complete darkness. Many people dislike Dark Magic, and non Dark Magic users often report being quite uncomfortable when the magic is being used in their presence; some Dark Magic users can even drive one to paranoia! Dark magic aggressively attacks any light, and when a Light and Dark Magic Wizard go head to head, it is a battle of strength of will.

Dark Magic was said to, in ancient times, be a powerful weapon with untold secrets, secrets with a power unrooted to this world. However, it is also said that Dark Magic was a calamity that almost wiped out humanity, and recently Emperor Valerian the Tyrant drove himself insane with his study of Dark Magic. Be warned if you tread down this path…

In the game, you will primarily receive Guile bonuses from Dark Magic.

The way to create perhaps the most powerful magic of all though is a magic that requires multiple users attempting to achieve the same goal. Ritual Magic as it is called, is able to tap into the forces of the world to achieve anything, unburdened by distance, limited only to the amount of magic one has.

There are secrets out there, secrets that will never be discovered in this world. It is up for wizards to discover those secrets though, and by any means necessary. If it cannot be discovered by one, then you will need ten; if you cannot succeed with ten, you will need a hundred. Using chants with words of power, wizards are able to combine their magical powers to dive into the esoteric.

In the game, you will primarily receive Knowledge bonuses from Ritual Magic.

Flora and Fauna
Spoiler :
Magnolia is home to a great many creatures, some beautiful, some terrifying, and to some incredibly interesting plants. Keep an eye here to understand the dangers and treasures that lurk in Magnolia.

Dragons-Inscrutable beasts of great and terrifying power. These beasts can fly and are able to call down magical fire on their enemies. They are generally quite hostile to humans, and few have seen one and lived to tell the tale. There are legends of dragons stretching back to ancient times, but due to the efforts of men in the Age of Heroes, they have mostly been driven back, thankfully. There is supposedly a large population of dragons in Braslaw, and there have been sightings in the Pontrian mountains.

A dragon has not been confirmed to be killed since the Age of Heroes. Recently, there are rumors that Queen Laskia of Pontria has slain one. Reactions have ranged from mocking disbelief to pilgrimage and near deification.

Manticore: A terrible beast, with the body of a lion and the tail of a scorpion, with wings that give it flight. Manticores can be found deep within ruins, mountains, and forests. They are lethal predators and few have been able to fight a manticore and live to tell the tale.

Basilisks are particularly deadly creatures, with many ways to kill a man. Though not particularly deadly, they can kill with a glare, or with their venom. Found deep within ruins, it is said that the treasurers guarded by them are without peer, but it is also said no treasure is worth your life….

Griffins are a beast that has the body of a lion, and the head and wings of an eagle. Primarily found in mountain ranges, though quite rare. Legend says that during the old empire, knights would ride griffins into battle, a subject of great interest to many scholars and chevaliers, but one that has borne little fruit. Powerful and cunning creatures, they are able to bring down larger beasts with the aid of their pack.

Called by many the Night Flower, the Witch's Flower, or simply the Flower, this is a rare and powerful flower that can provide energy levels unseen in humans. It is not said to be permanent, but the mind races with the possibilities of what one could do, if only they had even a single petal...Naturally the flower is worth a fortune, and they are near impossible to find.

Last edited:

Clermont

Spoiler :

The Imperial Capital was once the finest of cities, full of marble and imperial pomp and splendor. But in the days of the final battle between the Hero and the Tyrant, the city was mostly destroyed, and, outside of Le Marais (where the palace and noble mansions are), the new Emperor has since not yet been able to renovate the city. However, even in its...reduced state, it is still a rather large city, with people living and running businesses alongside the ruins. One who helped rebuild the city would likely gain significant amounts of prestige…

Currently, the city proper mostly consists of Le Marais district, which includes the Imperial Palace, Cheverny, as well as the Clermont Cathedral, some government offices, and several mansions for the nobility. Outside the district, the city can be remade...so long as you have the deep pockets for it, of course.

Regions of Taleise

Spoiler :
Clermont-The Imperial Duchy, as it is known, is directly ruled by the reigning Emperor or Empress of Taleise. Vibrant towns once dominated the Marnogne riverside and it was once said that a traveler could spend all of his money before reaching the imperial city. But the Hero’s rebellion damaged many of these towns, and most have not yet returned to their former glory. The Imperial City of Clermont in particular has suffered greatly from the rebellion, and its once proud marble buildings are in collapse; the city as a whole is in disrepair. Still, the region is rebuilding, and in due time, should recover due to its high population and rich, fertile soil. The rural parts of Clermont are mostly ignored, usually to their benefit, though there are rumors of banditry.

Orlandy-A very wealthy region, much of it t was conquered a hundred and fifty years ago, and some lands were ceded to it from Clermont to form the modern duchy. The river bed is a center of farming and commerce, with growing levels of urbanization. The far north has rich mineral deposits, but are threatened by dangerous beasts, and most of the mines have not been open since the rebellion. Relations with Ezia are mostly peaceful, and the Latirean majority population rarely gives the Taleiseans any trouble. The culture here is rather progressive and open compared to most other regions. Ostentatious displays of wealth are a part of regular life here, and necessary to earn respect.

Montcastel- A very poor region. The soil has never been particularly fertile, raids from Gourlois tribesmen and terrible beasts from the mountain have always been a problem, and the mines that at least brought great wealth to the region have not been reopened due to the rumors of a great and powerful dragon coming to the mountains. Not to mention all of the hostile powers on their borders. Still, if the mines could be reopened and the foreign powers checked, the Montcastel could be quite a major player in imperial politics. The people are hardy, strong warriors, and are eager to give their loyalty to an iron ruler who can stabilize the realm.

Franchpais-The most recently conquered duchy, won in a war from Kolpchek some fifty years ago. Was a rather rebellious province and sided with the Hero in his rebellion and were rewarded with numerous concessions, including the right to have Chekian language church services. The riverside has rich soil, and can bring in large harvests, so long as Kolpchekian cossacks to trade instead of raid. Unfortunately, they usually decide to raid.

Nerlandais-A region once conquered from the Free Marches, Nerlandais has integrated well into the Empire, with a mix of Taleisean and Marcher culture. The soil is not particularly wealthy, but the craftsmen in Nerlandais are second to none. Metalworking and brewing (elixirs and beer) are the two biggest industries for Nerlandais.The region is well-fortified due to the desires to protect it from the Free Marches and due to all the trade that passes through it.

Bourtaigne-A wealthy region known for its excellent textiles and tapestry makers. Holds a fierce rivalry with Penthevre over which land is known as the true “home of chivalry”. It is a core region of the Taleisean crown, and for many years was ruled by a cadet branch of the reigning dynasty. Bourtaigne, being so close to Clermont, has at times sought to distinguish itself, sometimes in rather unorthodox ways. Home of the College of Besangueux, which spends its days being either widely celebrated or reviled, depending on if their experiments have burned the town, created a new plague, or any other terribly unfortunate phenomena.

Pentherve-Another traditional territory of the Taleisean crown. It is not particularly wealthy. It is said that going to Petherve is like going back some three centuries...and they said that three centuries ago. They say that Pentherve attempts to keep culture the way things were in olden ages, with some traditions stretching back to the Age of Heroes. Everyone in Pentherve, it is said, aspires to act as a knight would in all matters, and dreams of a day where they can meet their death for their Emperor. While some mock Pentherve for its backwardness, many admire its martial, yet romantic, culture and many nobles have attended the College of Champilême, a source of pride to Pentherve for the past millennia.

Cultures of Taleise

Spoiler :
Taleisean-The dominant race of Taleise. Blonde, flaxen, and light brown hair color is generally the norm, and most are blue eyed. Prominent throughout the continent due to the success of the Taleisean Empire over the past two centuries, and are known to be excellent knights in particular.

Chekian-Generally shorter in statue, with pale skin, black hair and brown eyes. The most recently converted to the Faith, and the most zealous. Rarely found outside of Franchpais in Taleise, but when they are, they are often viewed with suspicion. Due to the poverty and lack of opportunity for most Chekians, many turn to banditry or rebellion, though things have improved for their lot in Franchpais since the Hero Emperor.

Marchers-Called Thurians in their home country, commonly referred to as Marchers in Taleise. Primarily reside in Nerlandais, but are quite active throughout the empire as mercenaries, merchants, financiers, and brewers. Most towns of note have at least one Marcher, who comes to establish a business, usually with a good degree of success. Well-liked by their rulers for the prosperity and service they tend to bring, but are usually quite disliked by the peasantry, mostly due to jealousy. Primarily have red, light brown, and, rarely, blonde hair. Primarily have green eyes. Not particularly prone to rebellion, since Nerlandais is generally governed with a light hand.

Latireans- Inhabitants of the kingdoms to the west and the Duchy of Orlandy. Orlandians are closest to Ezia in terms of language spoken and culture. Orlandy was annexed some hundred and fifty years ago, and the Latireans have integrated well; the language is relatively similar to Taleisean. Latireans. Tan or olive colored skin with hair ranging from light brown to dark black, with brown eyes generally. Have produced some artists of note in the past.

Gourlois-The hill and mountain people, commonly found near Pontria. They are almost never found in cities and the flat lands of Tailese, and make their living generally by raiding settlements. They are despised by the Taleiseans, and if captured are generally enslaved (or worse). They are known to roam over the borders between Taleise, Pontria, Kolpchek, Komneos, and Guadix; their language takes loan words from each of the regions. Primarily a nomadic people.

The Church

Spoiler :
The Church of Taliese is the only legally sanctioned religion of the Empire. Founded in the wake of the Savior’s victory over the Terror, the church has become an independent political force in communion with other Magnolian churches. Quite wealthy and owning tracts of land throughout the continent, the Church is able to leverage its financial resources into political influence which is often, in turn, used to protect and expand its holdings. During the Hero’s Rebellion, the Church decided to support him covertly at first, with loans, and then overtly by rallying pious nobles against the Tyrant.

In times of great crisis on the continent, the Church often takes a leading role in coordinating the response, including during blights, terrors, and other horrors.

The highest rank in Taliese’s church is that of Cardinal, who leads the Church of Taliese. They are in communion with the Primarch in Ezia. Beneath the Cardinal are various bishops, responsible for differing regions of Taliese, and beneath them are various abbeys and parishes.

Other Countries

Spoiler :
The Free Marches-A loose collection of independent cities and duchies to the east of Taleise. Their mercenaries are considered some of the best of the world. Economically they are incredibly powerful, with an advanced financial sector, fertile soil, manufacturies, and is a focal point for trade with continents to the east. The western part of the country is poor compared to the rest of the country, though in times of peace can grow wealthier with some land based trade with Taleise. The area closest to Taleise is aligned in the Western League, a mutual defense league, but they are some of the smallest Free Cities and have few resources to challenge imperial might. Sometimes they are paid subsidies by richer cities to the East, and in a major crisis the entirety of the Free Marches may unite in mutual defense. But some Marcher Lords might be quite willing to side with the Empire for the right price….

Braslaw-Large country, temperate in the summers and cold winters. Much of the population is focused on the coast, and the interior is dominated by powerful hill clans which are impossible to govern; they have a relationship that vacillates between trade and war with the boyars. Little central authority, the boyars are mostly independent and the King in Veloposia is master of no one beyond the palace walls. Quite wealthy with a healthy trade in fur and metals.

Kolpchek-Large country, ruled by an Emperor with an iron fist. Relatively poor, though the soil in the Mstis region is quite rich. Kolpchekian crafts are known for being cheap, plentiful, and poorly made. Land of rather backwards laws. Fought several wars with Taleise, and the loss of Chechers and Chern were rather devastating to them. They attempted to reconquer the lands during the Hero’s rebellion, but failed. Though the soldiers are of poorly trained, the army is incredibly well-organized, and Kolpchek can bring armies into the field equal to the size of Taleise despite its smaller population due to its excellent command of logistics. Excellent light, mobile cavalry called “Cossacks” raid their enemies with impunity.

Slonim-Formerly a savage backwater, now a savage back water ruled by Chekians. The native Urguil population was conquered by a Chekian boyar some two hundred years ago. The King and his boyars rarely leave Stasil or the other river cities, nor does any civilized person except the soldiers the King sends to collect taxes and escort convoys from the mines and forests. Some Urguil go west towards Komenos to work as mercenaries.

Komenos-Incredibly wealthy and powerful, second only to Taleise. Site of Magnolia’s earliest settlements and as a result has a rich political and cultural tradition. It was once the cultural center of a great empire in the First Age and was later a rich province of the Latirean Empire. It reformed after the Empire’s fall into an independent state, and grew quite powerful once more, ushering in the Age of Eagles before it eventually saw another decline. In the past hundred years, the Empire has gone through several reforms, and is politically rather stable. The Emperor and Empress have done well with co-ruling and the country is incredibly prosperous. Komenos primarily used to be a major provider of funds to those who resisted Taleise and helped subsidize the Hero’s rebellion. Relations with Taleise are tense but for now, peaceful, though they are warily watching for any changes. Has fought some border skirmishes with Kolpchek recently, though Komenos has little desire to pursue the war. Was recently a part of a coalition to check Cegovia and gained territory for their trouble.

Pontria-In times of peace, the Kingdom can become quite wealthy due to the trade that passes through but has been unfortunately rather unstable for the past few decades. Culturally mixed, it is politically influenced by Komenos, Kolpchek, and Taliese. Mostly hilly and mountainous, the soil is rather poor, but there used to be thriving mines before the dragons returned. Recently, a young woman named Laskia slew one of the dragons, and was proclaimed Queen of Pontria, disposing of the old King who has since taken refuge in Komenos. She has since attempted to rebuild relations with the hill clans and to bring together the different cultures of the Kingdom to a decent degree of success; confidence in the Kingdom is incredibly high.

Guadix-A mountainous kingdom in the west with a well-fortified border with Taliese that has thrown back numerous invasions and has been a staging ground for raids into the Empire itself. Highly martial culture. Excellent soldiers allow it to punch above its weight in battle. Dealing with the beast problem in its mountains slowly and steadily, has not yet had the courage to confront the dragons. Its Queen is underage and is currently ruled by a regent. Recently was part of a coalition to check Cegovia, and won territory as a result.

Zaragoza-Stable, well-defended kingdom with several very powerful wizards, particularly its King. Its college is well-regarded throughout Magnolia. Moderately wealthy and fortified borders allow it to keep the peace. Together with Guadix, it helped stop a major Taliesean invasion of the western kingdoms. More recently, they were a vassal of Cegovia, but when they saw a chance, they helped end the ambitions of its tyrannical king, along with several local allies. As a result of the war, Zaragoza is independent and has annexed a large region in the west that has improved the Kingdom’s wealth.

Ezia-Incredibly wealthy kingdom, centered in Cerga, one of, if not the, largest cities in Magnolia. Was once the center of an empire that dominated much of Magnolia. Well-regarded mages with a rich educational tradition, a center of culture and commerce. The Primarch of Magnolia resides in Ezia, as does the Uccidere, a powerful guild of assassins. When Taliese threatened to invade, the Uccidere assassinated the Duc of Orlandy, a Marshal of Taliese, and poisoned the supplies of the army; since then, the frontier has been quite peaceful between the two. The King of Ezia is an affable, older gentleman who in his younger years was known for the adventures and quests he went on. He and his granddaughter, the Crown Princess, are much loved by the populace, and are a source of pride for Ezians. Recently was a part of a war to check Cegovia, and annexed some territory to their north.

Salamanca-A sleepy, mostly poor but proud country, and incredibly religious. During the resurgence of the Empire of Komenos, Salamanca was a key factor in the fight to stop their march south. They fought a long series of wars with Zaragoza and Cegovia; they were eventually conquered by the latter, but fought on in resistance and eventually liberated their country. Has been rebuilding since.

Cegovia-A once mighty kingdom, Cegovia dominated the west, ruling most of the lands between Komenos and Ezia. Her knights were legendary, her cathedrals awe-inspiring, and her wizards accomplished great feats of magic. However, its rule was horrifically oppressive, and it used conquest of other countries to bring in slaves and wealth to finance their continued growth. Its mad king, the tyrant King Octavio was a particularly brutal ruler, but eventually he met his end at the hands of a coalition of western powers. The greatly reduced Cegovia has recovered somewhat, and its new Queen has relocated her court to Anderin; in part because the city is not destroyed, and in part because she is interested in the exploration of lands beyond Magnolia.

Sasimbra-A country that was horrifically oppressed by Cegovia, it has been liberated and most of its population lives on the coast in fishing villages. Its Queen was the Duchess of Mirandela who had tried to shield her people from the Cegovians, but was tortured to insanity. During Cegovia’s occupation of the country, her son sailed south and west, hoping to find a land for Sasimbrans to relocate to.

Other continents-There are two continents to the east; one of whom is host to a massive empire that stretches beyond one’s wildest imagination; they say it would take three years to go from the western edge to the imperial capital in the east. Eastern goods are well-made and in high demand, as are their spices and silk. The other is mostly barren, aside from a single, small coastal settlement. It is covered with ice and dangerous beasts, and there has been no successful exploration of the continent.

There are some islands to the south of Magnolia that are uninhabited.

Ages

Spoiler :

The First Age -4000--1000

The Age of Heroes -1000--100

The First Terror -100 to 0

The Age of the Savior 0 to 100

The Age of Glories 100-240

The Age of Peace 340-580

The False Terror 580-600

The Age of Towers 600-780

The Age of Eagles 780-910

The Age of Swords 910-1140

The Age of Lilies 1140-1320

The Age of Tyrants 1320-1411

The Age of Storms 1411-

Last edited:
Map
The Continent of Magnolia
Spoiler :

With Duchies
Spoiler :

Stats

Last edited:
You may now post; I will be adding additional content in new posts and in the opening posts in the coming days that further flesh out the world :)

Last edited:
Interest post.

expressing interest. Also to clarify is the positive point allocation just the amount of positive points that can be applied or is it the net total positive points after negative points have been subtracted?

House Name: de Maximilien
Magic: Ritual
Background: Scholar
Preferred Starting Location: Nerlandais

House Crest:

The de Maxilmilien crest depicts a Night Flower, representing Maximilien's interest in magic and magical research.

Members:

Maxemilen de Maximilien
Traits: Brilliant (+5), Arrogant (-1), Distant (-1), Depraved (-1)
Description: An extremely talented ritual magician renowned for his eccentricity, aloofness and arrogance.

Joan de Maximilien
Traits: Beloved (+4), Depraved (-1)
Description: Joan, the wife of Maxemilen, is beloved by commoners and the nobility alike. Many wonder how Maxemilen managed to marry such a fine lady. Its probably because they compliment each other's sexual appetite. She more than makes up for Maxemilen's grouchiness.

Peter de Maximilien
Traits: Trained at Statesmanship (+2), Depraved (-1)
Description: Peter de Maximilien showed less magical talent than Maxemilen hoped for. To compensate for this, he devoted himself into studying how to effectively run the Maxemilen estate and now he assists his father and mother in the management of their realm.

Catherine de Maximilien
Traits: Trained at Espionage (+2), Depraved (-1)
Description: Peter's wife, she compliments Peter's effectiveness at managing the realm by running an incredibly effective espionage network.

Isabella de Maximilien
Traits: Educated (+3), Arrogant (-1), Distant (-1), Homosexual (-1), Depraved (-1).
Description: The most talented magically of the three children, Isabella attended Besangueux as their philosophy was highly compatible with Maximilien's theories on magic. Personality wise she is almost identical to her father, sharing even a similar taste in women. She is assisting her father in his magical research and will likely inherit the bulk of his magical research upon his death.

Gaston de Maximilien
Traits: Heroic (+4), Depraved (-1)
Description: Gaston lacked the extreme magical talent of his sister and is far from inheriting the throne. For this reason he has focused his life upon martial ability. He is renowned in the lands of the de Maxmiliens for putting down bandits and rogue magicians alike, gaining a reputation as a great hero. He uses what magical talent he has in ritual magic in order to disrupt the other person's magic, causing them to have to fight on a playing field where he almost always has an advantage.
Background:

Maximilien was once an extremely talented lowborn Ritual Magician. When his studies were interrupted by one of the Tyrant King's mad policies, he sided with the Hero Emperor and provided a great many magical boons to his forces. As a reward for his service, he was given land to administer. Maximilien considered running land and a dynasty a fun side project to his very important magical research and also a great way of getting funds for said research. Nevertheless, he did take statecraft seriously and his children have taken it even further. The de Maximiliens are now a house with a decent amount of prestige behind them, even if they are considered very eccentric and also rather sexually unusual.

Last edited:
@Jehoshua it refers to the total positive points you can have

House Remillard

Dominant Magic: Alchemy
Background: Chevalier

Rémi Remillard (m, 41)
· Attractive (2)
· Heroic (4)
· Idealist (0)
· Moral (0)
· Vain (-1)

Catherine Remillard (f, 38)
- from a dark magic family
· Attractive (2)
· Wise (2)
· Pragmatic (0)
· Moral (0)
· Vain (-1)

Luc Remillard (m, 18- twin)
· Attractive (2)
· Idealist (0)
· Moral (0)
· Vain (-1)

Guillaume Remillard (m, 18- twin)
· Smart (2)
· Cynic (0)
· Patient (0)
· Ugly (-2)
· Dishonest (-1)

Josephine Remillard (f, 16)
· Attractive (2)
· Cynic (0)
· Shy (-1)

@Nuka: please choose a suitable location for the Remillard family (in case thats not obvious, that means somewhere with good ski conditions and access to the court)

Last edited:
Spoiler :
House Name: Maison D’Antan
Magic: Light
Background: Scholar
Prefered Start Location: Bourtaigne

Jerome D’Antan (42) -
Brilliant (+5)
Just (+1)
Obsessive (-2)
Distant (-1)​

Juliette D’Antan, Nee Remillard (39)
Attractive (+2)
Friendly (+1)
Patient (0)
Vain (-1)​

Valerian D’Antan (22)
Beloved (+4)
Friendly (+1)
Incapacitated (-5)​

Roland D’Antan (16)
Heroic (+4)
Cynic (+0)
Wroth ( -2)
Obsessive (-2)​

Aurelie D’antan (10)
Rebellious (-2)​

If you were to ask retainer of the D’Antan Family, from the youngest to the oldest, what the story of the family was, they would answer that none of that mattered. Nothing matters to them but the fate of Valerian D’Antan, oldest son, beloved older brother, and, currently, an unconscious man kept from death only by the constant efforts of his Father.

If you were to ask Jerome, he’d tell you, if you could distract him from his studies long enough, that he would do anything, everything, to bring his son back from the brink of death. If you could keep his attention long enough to ask more, he’d tell you how, at the College of Besangueux, he dabbled in all the fields. Elemental Magic, Ritual, Dark, Light, there was nothing he turned his mind to that he didn’t master effortlessly... and yet, for all that knowledge, nothing could keep Valerian from his fate. Nothing, except, perhaps, the ancient stories and legends of deeper Light Magics.

If you were to ask Julliette D’antan, her expression would briefly slip from an affable smile to that of veiled greif, masked instantly. She’d direct the conversation elsewhere, speaking of the bravery of Her husband at the Battle of Les Champs D’Anselme, or his skill at wrangling the cockatrices the Hero’s Army used. She’d perhaps talk with pride of Roland’s Skills on the battlefield. She’d tell you many things, but never would she talk of the current state of the family.

If you were to ask Valerian D’Antan... well... Better not to go there.

If you were to ask Roland D’Antan, He’d be bitter. He’d be resentful. He’d angrily tell you about how this whole thing was a waste of time, how his brother would be better off dead. Through the grousing, the complaining, though, you’d hear his grief, you’d hear his longing, and you’d realize the effort and work he’s put in to help his father’s mission. Though he’d never tell you, you’d realize that his long delves into the ancient ruins of this world serve one purpose and one purpose only: To find any hint of any of the ancient secrets that might bring his brother back from the edge.

And, finally, if you were to ask Aurelie D’Antan, you’d first have to find her. That’s not an easy task, as any of the governesses and guards assigned to her would tell you. Since her brother’s accident, she’s perfect the art of slipping unseen from their grasp. If her father or mother took the time from their work to notice her, they’d realize that she has, without formal education in these affairs, effortlessly mastered the arts of illusion, mastered one of the key facets of Light Magic. Of Course, that’d require them to pay attention.

Last edited:
House Name: Séverin
Magic: Elemental
Background: Governor
Preferred Starting Location
: Franchpais
Members:

Zénaïde Séverin, family Matriarch at age 44

Dignified (+3): has spend her years as a diligent administrator and peacemaker.

Just (+1): has maintained fair rule.

Moral (+0): though not as devout as her sister she has enshrined a strong value base rule.

Patient (+0): wishes to study the situation before jumping.

Sickly (-3): the ruler is on her last days thanks to a most unfortunate disease

Sarah Séverin, Zénaïde’s nun sister, age 38, appointed to serve regent should Zénaïde no longer be able to rule.

Innovative (+3) often mediates to seek out ideas from the Divine

Patient (+0): mediates on difficult matters.

Pious (0): she is one with the faith.

Moral (0): right is stronger than might

Rebellious (-2) covertly views God as the only true master.

Romane Séverin: daugture and eldest surviving child of Zénaïde at 23

Educated (+3): attended the College of Champilême

Diligent (+1): has worked tirelessly in her studies.

Moral (+0): though she has not become a devout like her aunty she has earned a respectful moral code.

Temperamental (-1): hot blooded

Donatian Séverin: the elder son of Zénaïde at 21

Trained (+2): was trained in the art of architecture as part of Zénaïde’s schemes to help administer her demesne

Cynic: (+0): does not get on well with his aunt

Patient (+0): though cynical he has adopted his aunt’s patience.

Obsessive (-2): will forsake other tasks for his pet projects.

Ulysse Séverin: youngest son of Zénaïde at 19

Heroic (+4): has proved themselves as a most able knight.

Literacy (+1): a warrior poet.

Proactive (+0): CHARGE!

Homosexual (-1): some of his poems have… raised suspicions.

Crest:

Séverin.png

Last edited:
House Lumiere
Magic: Elemental
Motto:
We'll Burn the World for the Warmth We Desire
Sigil: Phoenix

4 members +2 Child (19 points)

Gabriel Lumiere (38) (M)

Dreaded (+4) (Every tactic, strategy, and acts of cruelty have been considered and used by this warrior of Montcastel, and he actively cultivates an image of fear to dissuade attacks against his realm)
Hardy (+2) (Scarred and muscular body proves that he is a veteran of a hundred campaigns)
Just (+1) (An honorable lord with regards to feudal obligations and his promises)
Amoral (+0) (Ever action will be considered in pursuit of his goals)
Idealist (+0) (He has devoted his entire being to the good of Montcastel and his family)
Distant (-1) (He often professes difficulties in connecting and conversing with others)
Rebellious (-2) (He believes that the Hero and lords of the Empire have done a personal and unjust wrong against Montcastel with the appointment of the 'accursed shutin' as the Wardess of the North and continuing neglect of Montcastel under the Hero's reign. He believes that the Empire have failed to accomplish its feudal duties and obligations towards the people of Montcastel, and he often makes his dissatisfaction known with rants against the 'riverlander pansies and their often literally bloody politics')

The town is ablaze. The men are dead. The soldiers drag screaming children and mothers from their pathetic dwellings and throw them into the hall. There, they will burn along with the corpses of the last of their defenders.

I ask the man overseeing this massacre what motivates him to these acts of cruelty. He is a tall man with cold, distant eyes. The light from the burning village casts many, flickering shadows against the ground. He carries with him a sword emblazoned with wings. I am surprised when he does not strike me down. Instead, he considers for a moment. "Love," he answers, as the soldiers begin tossing torches at the hall.

"Love?" I reply. Somewhere behind me, I can hear the screams. "Love motivates you to cruelty and violence?"

"Yes," he replies. "For this victory, my people will sleep a bit more soundly tonight. People will gain hope that life will be better tomorrow." He gazes upon the hall as the screams begin to die down beneath the sound of crumbling roofs. "I will finally be able to return home tonight. It will be warm in my castle. You are welcome to stay."

"Is there anything you won't burn in this world for a bit more of warmth?" I ask.

"Nothing," he replies. "There is nothing I won't burn in this world for a bit of warmth."

I tell him that he is a monster. He shrugs. "I may be a monster," he replies. "But I will also be the happiest man alive on this earth when I finally, finally return home."

Selene Lumiere of Pontria (40) (F)

Wise (+2) (A traveler between realms, she often have and offers insights that would normally escape the attention of a Montcastellan lord)
Diligent (+1) (She is diligent in her duties as the lady of the house, and does not neglect to keep the castle spotlessly maintained. Often conflicts with Lady Erza and her arcane art projects)
Patient (+0) (Patient and willing to listen)
Cynic (+0) (The poverty of the Montcastellan region often forces her to take less than ideal measures in her goal of maintaining her household)

Her father asks him this: Is this how you want the world to be? Irrevocably weaponized? Everything honed for the purpose of warfare?

She does not know how to answer that. She was meant to slay her husband, the Lord of this distant realm. A cruel man devoted for warfare. A monster.

She refused her duties.

He is a monster, but once he returns home, he won't feel or act like anything but the happiest man alive. Is monsterhood perhaps conditional? Like a mirror you hold up to the world, just long enough to win?

Her father sends a soft farewell in a letter. He doesn't seem angry. Perhaps proud, even. "Godspeed, and farewell."

Victor Lumiere (18) (M)

Brilliant (+5) (Brilliant from an extraordinarily young age. He didn't turn out to be a heroic warrior with a strong physique that his father wanted him to be, but made up for it in other manners)
Diligent (+1) (When this character wants something, he usually does not lose sight of his goals)
Proactive (+0) (Lemme at'em! This character is often recklessly eager with his goals)
Cynic (+0) (He usually tends to assume that people are more flawed than not)
Temperamental (-1) Have inherited his father's temper, although much less focused on a specific target.

A small princling rests alone in a vast, vast bedroom. He wishes his father knew how much he hates sleeping alone, but he doesn't dare to tell him. For the lord is very busy man and must not be disturbed.
A lord sits alone in his army camp, drowning in affairs of state and strategies of his chevaliers. All he wants is to see his family and hug his son, but he cannot. For his every waking moment must be spent in service of the people.
One day, while eating dinner, the lord asks his son what he most desires in the world. He hopes he will say that he wants them to spend more time together, but instead the boy simply points at a sword hanging on the wall.
The ancient sword is considered the sign that one is ready to rule. 'Someday' the lord chuckles. His son faintly smiles back at him. All he really wanted was for his father to read him a bedtime story...

Erza Lumiere (16) (F)
Artistic (+1) (Contemptuous of the 'doom and gloom' of Montcastel, but still also possessing a certain disrespect for traditionalism, Erza is infamous for sponsoring and occasionally, even doing, unconventional art projects)
Friendly (+1) (The girl possesses a certain magnetism. Likely the mother's influence)
Moral (+0) (She has developed a code of honor that is not exactly proper based on feudal and chivalrous ideals, but still just as limiting sometimes. Her father seems to approve anyways)
Proactive (+0) (Enthusiastic and wild, with a chipper personality)
Temperamental (-1) (One of Gabriel's contemptful rant against the 'accursed shutin' and the Empire at large have left an impression on the young girl)

Levy Lumiere (12) (M)
The youngest son of the Lumiere family. Both Gabriel and Victor did all they could to shield him from rigors of life and hardships of ruling in a wretched territory such as Montcastel.

Lucky (+1) (If he fell from a tower, he would fall into thick bushes)
Trusting (-2) (Things seem to go his way so much that he seems to have taken to receiving things at face value)

Alice Lumiere (5) (F)
Moral (+0) (She grows up on tales of chivalrous chevaliers, and occasionally professes that she wants to be a just and righteous knight just like the Hero. Her father gives a forced smile, and tells her how wonderful her goals are)

House Lumiere was once a family of proud paladins who wielded the light. For their loyalty to an ancient king, they were granted land near the mountains, where they honorably defended the realm against raiders and bandits for generations.

Last edited:
House Montesqieu
Magic: Ritual
Background: Patrician

-

The Ancient and Most Noble House of Montesqieu is one which bears a long and distinguished pedigree, descending from one of the oldest noble lineages in Clermont. During the conquest of Orlandy the house distinguished itself in military service to the empire and consequently when the duchy was formed from a combination of the conquered territory and former Clermontois land, House Montesqieu's demesne was significantly expanded in recognition of its service. Over the centuries, building on these gains it continued to build solid connections to the various Orlandais houses and factions while retaining ties to its roots in Clermont. Likewise the House continued to develop its knowledge on the secrets of magic, most particularly in the most noble and powerful of magical arts, ritual magic. During the reign of Emperor Valerian [ie the Tyrant] House Montesqieu was amongst the first patrician houses to rebel and side with the hero emperor, an act which regretfully resulted in the death of the old master, the noted magus and noble lord Valentin de Montesqieu in battle with the tyrant as well as the present masters grandfather the retired Lord Aurelian de Montesqieu who had retired to a monastery that suffered an attack by servants of the late and unlamented Emperor. Thus, presently during these last days of the Hero Emperor's reign it is Lord Alduin de Montesqieu, the brilliant son of Valentin known in magical circles as the Sage of the West, who heads House Montesqieu into the uncertain times ahead.

-

Alduin de Montesqieu (House Patriarch - 35)

+ 5 Brilliant - Alduin is one of the greatest wizards of the day with many disciples and acolytes, he bears a brilliant and insightful mind with clear understanding in all things magical, economic and political.
+4 Beloved - Alduin is beloved of the people for his moral and pious conduct, competent rule, charming personality and genuine charity and concern for the common people.
+1 Dilligent - Alduin works hard managing his realm for the good of his people.
- 1 arrogant - Being smarter than everyone else has led to some measure of pride, no man is without sin.
0 moral - bears a strong moral code and sense of duty towards his people.
0 pious - devoted to the worship of God and teachings of the Church.

Revered as the saintly and wise "Sage of the West", Alduin began his public life as a child prodigy in the arts of ritual magic with his brilliance dazzling the courts of Clermont. His Father, the noble Lord Valentin de Montesqieu, seeing his eldest sons talent quickly brought him on board as an assistant and apprentice in the management of the estate teaching him the essentials of patrician life (And arranging a politically advantageous marriage with House D'Antan), the essential truths of the Holy Church and personally guiding him in his magical research. Under his guidance an tutelage Alduin became the pious and wise Lord he is today. Sadly forced to take the reigns at the tender age of 25 after his fathers death in battle against the tyrant [Alduin himself serving with others to guide the ritual required to break the tyrants wardings in the final battle, and being spared the front line], Alduins diligence and genuinely moral rule (as compared to the rampant perversion and decadence of certain lesser houses and the hypocrisy of many others lords on the subject of personal morality) has given him the love of his people and if considered together with his magical talent, much prestige in the courts of Clermont and Taleise as a whole. Indeed some say it is his wise stewardship that led Orlandy to escape the worst ravages of the recent war. That said public reverence and patrician pride have led to some measure of haughty arrogance from the young Lord, and it remains to be seen if his vice can be conquered and if he can continue his thus far benevolent and sagacious rule in Orlandy.

Serana de Montesqieu nee' D'Antan [Wife of Alduin - 28]

+2 loyal - Unflinchingly loyal to her husband and the House of Montesqieu, Serana makes every effort as a devoted wife and mother to her children for their good.
- 2 cruel - Serana regretfully is lacking in the milk of human kindness, and rather enjoys terrorising the enemies of her house and any who dare threaten her kin.
-1 dishonest - What is truth?
- 2 obsessive - Its all for the glory of House Montesqieu. Maternal instinct has evolved into an obsession in her children's prosperity and peace, and a paranoid and neurotic fear of enemies real and imagined.
0 cynic - family aside, all humans tend to be evil swine with ill intentions and secret vices.
0 patient - open psychopathy is politically damaging, in the interests of House Montesqieu some measure of forbearance is required, which Serana fortunately possesses.

The younger sister of Jerome D'Antan, she was overshadowed in her youth by her older brother and developed a cool and noble façade as a perfect noble lady of the court to cover her cruel and vindictive streak that this resentment brought forth, as well as the cynical disregard for the hypocritical and insincere nobles who flattered her vanity that festered in the recesses of her soul. Yet her coldness of heart thawed upon her marriage to Alduin de Montesqieu for his sincerity, genuine piety and love for his family and people won her devotion and brought warmth to the face to the woman renowned as the cold beauty of D'Antan. Nonetheless her love did not eradicate her cruelty but brought forth a fierce protectiveness for her husband and later her children, which was only exacerbated by the obsession that emerged in her brothers house with the unfortunate incapacitation of her nephew Valerian and the subsequent melancholy his condition brought forth [a sentiment she holds secret disdain for], as well as the general malaise that has afflicted the empire in the twilight of the hero's reign. Thus she works hard, sometimes in the light and other times in less savoury backrooms to secure her husbands reign and the future of house Montesqieu from the shadows that gather around the deathbed of the Emperor.

Valerian de Montesqieu [Younger brother of the patriarch - 27]

+1 friendly - a genuinely kind and warm individual
0 proactive - a go-getter who works hard for the interests of his house
-1 vain - somewhat of a dandy, as expected of one not expected to inherit with plentiful time to engage in the noble party circuit.

A hard worker overshadowed by his brilliant brother, Valerian puts on (and is genuinely) a cultured and noble image as a courtier in the balls of Clermont, being a friendly and engaging conversationalist and centre of a fashionable social group amongst the patrician houses of the capital. Nonetheless this character does not exclude him from working hard for his house, for he bears no resentment for his lot and rather makes the most of his time not only to engage in the pleasures noble life free from the responsibilities of lordship but to enhance the influence and prestige of his house and thus be spared of the reputation of a wastrel son. Nonetheless his brother looks increasingly to his betrothal to a suitable woman, and so perhaps his time of freewheeling in the heart of the Empire will soon transition to a more sedentary lifestyle and Valerian will need to learn the arts of stewardship and prudence in the days ahead.

Lucie de Montesqieu [Younger sister of the Patriarch - 20]

+1 skilled financier - Lucie has an interest in territory management and finance, and is skilled in business negotations, financial management and budgeting.
0 proactive - like her brother Lucie is a go-getter albeit with a penchant for business.
0 moral - under her brothers influence, Lucy has strict lines which she will not cross.
-1 temperamental - a fiery temper makes for an unwed maiden at the old age of 20 years, or so they say.
-2 obsessive - Lucie is obsessed with gold, and is always looking for new business opportunities for the enrichment of House Montesqieu.

Practical, no nonsense and hardworking. Lucie is the most "mundane" of the patrician Montesqieu's and has dedicated her life to the nitty-gritty business of running the family demesne. To this end she has developed a knack for business and territory management which her brother has put to good use in improving the houses finances and in the general management of the houses affairs. While they occasionally quarrel (particularly over Lucie's unseemly obsession with wealth), they nonetheless share a moral outlook on affairs of state and work well together. That said Lucie is rapidly approaching "old maid" territory as her love of money and fiery temperament puts off would be suitors, and her brother is correspondingly steeling himself to marry her off in a political marriage to a suitable house however reluctantly given her not inconsiderable talents lest her vice bring shame to the family name. It also remains to be seen whether her greed and worship at the altar of mammon will lead her to yet more vices, and perhaps even the sale of her soul for a pretty coin.

Louis de Montesqieu [Eldest son of Alduin and Serana - 12]

+5 Brilliant - A genius like his papa who bears great promise.
0 amoral - all's fair in the interests of house Montesqieu.

Louis is the apple of his father's eye being at a young age already recognised as possessing a brilliant mind and a prodigious talent in magic. To this end Alduin carefully inculcates lessons of state and virtue to his son to better prepare him for succession much as his father did for him. His mother likewise, wise one could say to the human condition compared to her husbands relatively insulated youth and subsequent naivety, continually impresses on him the all important value of kith and kin over all else, and that sometimes the sword is better than the pen to achieve a just and lasting resolution.

Benoit de Montesqieu [Younger son of Alduin and Serana - 8]

0 pious - Has the disposition of a cleric.

A kind boy beloved of his father and big brother. Benoit shares his fathers piety and is often seen in the castle chapel in prayer. His father teaches him the importance of genuine sanctity and good works not only in the spiritual life, but in the good governance of the land and its people and looks forward to his education and flowering into a talented and hardworking young man... although he has a nascent fear that Benoit may yet develop the so-called "monastic vocation" resulting in the subsequent loss of valuable family assets

Spoiler :
nb: whether Alduin is Duc de Orlandy or a comte/marquis I shall leave to the GM's discretion. I'm fine with either. If a Duc though, the seat would obviously be Monterino. If not, somewhere else in that river valley would befit the backstory of their lands originally being part of Clermont.

Last edited:
House: Du Lac
Magic: Light

Creed:
"The bonds of kinship above all"

Origin:

Lancelot, fair and bold, finds his lady love on the Hills of Camlann, where King Arthur died
"Come with me, come with me, my fair lady, and let us face what comes together"
"'Tis our fault, our most grevious fault, Lancelot, how can we be happy?"
"I choose you, to whatever end" is his reply
She flees from him, unable to accept his words, and enters a monastery to dedicate her life to God in repentance.
Lancelot, fair and bold, finds his lady love in the Abbey of Canturie, where she has dedicated her life and love to God
"Come with me, come with me my fair lady, and let us face what comes together"
"'Tis our fault, 'tis our most grevious fault, Lancelot, return to whence you came, and you will never see my face again"
"I choose you, to whatever end" is his reply
She turns away from him and faces her God in prayer and meditation, but Lancelot does not leave the monastery.
He stays, wasting away in grief.
She hardens her heart
He grows weaker
"Leave, sir knight" the nuns demand
"I will not leave without my love" Lancelot replies
"She loves you not, her heart is with God" the nun reply
He is dying, and Guinevere realizes she loves him, that she will always love him.
"God forgive me" she cries, "But I choose you to whatever end"
And so Lancelot and Guinevere ride to Taliese, where the wise king grants his son by the Lady of the Lake a demense in Pentherve

Members of the Family:
Galahad:
Traits: Brilliant, Distant
The eldest son and current head of the Du Lac dynasty, Galahad is a mage in a warrior's world. Drawn to the stars and sun and the arcane, rather than swordplay and governance, he spent his life estranged from his father, who loved him all the same but never understood him. He never finished his studies in the College of Champileme - when the Hero rebelled, his father was one of the first to flock to the banner, and whatever problems they had between them, Galahad was a du Lac, and du Lacs follow each other to hell. His father and Galahad eventually reconciled during the war, before his father was struck down in battle.
While Galahad is not terribly interested in administering the land, he has taken up the burden as best as he can, with some help from his brother and sisters. He still practices magic, his current focus on combining elements of other domains with his very own light magic, his first (and so far only) success being combining heat and light to form magical balls of lights to act as torches or heat generators on cold winter days.

Tristan
Traits: Heroic, Temperamental, Depraved
The second oldest son, and the closest to his father in temperament and outlook, Tristan is a peerless knight earning comparison's to the founder of his dynasty, Lancelot. The comparison's have only been strengthened by his performance in the war. In the battle of Serpent's pass he held the enemy to a standstill for a fortnight despite being heavily outnumbered and in the final battle he was with the hero when he stormed the gates. The only dark spot to his record (and another thing strengthening the Lancelot comparisons) is his ... unusual sexual preferences. Only rumored to be certain, and none of the ladies he has been with seem to mind, and in fact, it seems to only enhance his appeal.

Isolde
Traits: Clever, Attractive, Cruel, Vain
Motto: "If they show me fear, they show me respect"
The black sheep of the Du Lac family, she was famed for her beauty and her wit and had many suitors. She was eventually married off to a duke who was one of the tyrant's most important supporters. When she heard of her family's entry into the war, she feigned submissiveness to her husband's will, while plotting to aid her kin. She eventually struck a fatal blow by slipping poison into her husband's meals daily, in a method that looked much like a sickness. For all her faults and her questionable methods and morals, she is a Du Lac, and follows the creed. After the war, her part in his death was hushed, and the joy she seemed to take in his suffering was made to be forgotten.

Eleanor
Traits: Kind, Skilled(Herbalism), Pious, Shy
A young girl, naive of the ways of the world, but very pious. In order to practice the charity for her fellow man that God ordains, she picked up the art of healing through herbal means from a local healer woman. She practices her charity in the abbey where the Mother Superior has allowed her to work with the other nuns. Her shyness means that she does not have many friends, finding the patients too sick to talk and in need of a poultice easier to deal with than humans with a variety of complex emotions and whose emotional needs and wants are not so easily met.

Heirloom:

Arondite (Sword of Bonds):
While Excalibur is the sword of victory, given to by the lady of the Lake to a destined King, Arondite carries a different weight - not the weight of destiny, but the Lady's love for her child, Lancelot. The sword will always protect him and his descendants. It is no less impressive. Mages are still baffled at how the Light Domain, only capable of producing illusions, could actually create a sword, and one with the power Arondite has.
Galahad writes, "The Light Domain is often taught as, and understood as the power of illusion, of seeing things that aren't there. it is the mirage in the desert, the trick of the light. I believe this is a by product of what Light actually is - the power of faith, or miracle. Of believing and walking a road we cannot see. Justice, mercy, if the universe were to be cut into its smallest parts, would we find even one iota of justice? I believe not. These exist because we have believed them into being. Light takes the shape of illusions because the caster uses the faith others have in their eyes to trick them. Perhaps this is the secret of Arondite. Perhaps Nimue used the Light Domain to materialize her love for her son."
After Galahad's father fell on the battlefield with the sword in his hand, the sword has been missing

Last edited:
Upon the victory of the Hero over the Tyrant and his crowning, he quickly created a council of his four greatest supporters to help him guide the realm. Naming them the “Four Wardens”, each is responsible for helping govern the sprawling Taliesean Empire.

Initially, the council was quite effective as they had the Hero Emperor’s full support in pursuing their agendas, but as the Emperor became iller, the council fell into internal bickering, and the mechanisms of the state have ground to a halt. And what had started as disagreements over policy has grown into a threat of civil war as the Hero Emperor’s days grow fewer.

Each Warden wants greater power at the expense of the other, and their latest battle is that of the succession. Because of the Hero Emperor’s sickness, he was unable to marry a new consort, and the council assumed for many years that a new Emperor or Empress would need to be appointed. Many anticipate that Taliese would fall into a free-for-all civil war, with the strongest warlord remaining to be crowned what was left of the empire, but the emergence of the alleged daughter of the Hero Emperor has solidified most people into camps of who they believe should be Taliese’s next ruler.

1. The first candidate is Princess Riliane d'Autriche, allegedly the daughter of the Hero Emperor and Princess Caroline d’Lamomoux: the woman who the Hero loved enough to rebel against the Emperor. Her heritage is vouched for by Warden Reinhard von Ascania, a claim that holds weight among the nobility and people of Taliese due to his reputation as a good and true knight. Allegedly, she was taken away to the Free Marches for safe-keeping but her knightly protector died, forcing her to survive on the streets of the Free Marches. Miraculously, she did, and she arrived in Taliese but six months ago.

There is a good deal of support for Princess Riliane; the love for the Hero runs deeply throughout the Empire, and for many that love extends to his daughter. Her supporters argue that she should be recognized as Crown Princess and, when her father dies, should be crowned Empress (with a regent, of course). If her claim is true, she would have the strongest legal claim, and the blood of the Hero flowing through her veins would give many people a great deal of confidence in the Empire’s future. Her detractors argue that, even if Sir Reinhard might not be lying, he may have simply been tricked and that the girl is an imposter. For others, even if the likeness to the Hero is there in terms of appearance, she acts less like a princess and more like a street urchin. Is that the sort of figure, they ask, that should be ruling Taliese? A nine year old little girl? And who would be regent, anyhow?

2. The second candidate is Warden Gaston d’Ribeau A chevalier of great renown, he was one of the first men that the Tyrant sent to capture the Hero. After six days of battle, Gaston was the victor, but instead of turning him over to the Emperor, he decided to shield the Hero and join his cause, impressed by his determination. He watched proudly as the Hero surpassed him in strength, and was there by his side in the final battle against the Tyrant. After the Hero’s victory, Gaston quickly supported the Hero’s coronation as Emperor...a decision he would later regret.

Though his loyalty to the Hero Emperor cannot be questioned, it is said that in private he is critical of the state the Empire is in. He feels that the Emperor must be a unifying, strong figure that the people can rely on. The Hero was that, but he argues that the sickness took the Emperor from Taliese too soon and that she needs a new hero. A new emperor. And he believes that hero, and emperor, should be him.

His supporters praise Gaston as a ‘true chevalier’ who is open-handed with his supporters and friends while ruthless with his enemies. His breeding is undeniable, and his promises, of allowing his nobles free-rein over their domains and eternal glory in his coming wars, are very appealing. They argue that support for Princess Riliane is motivated by the memory of the Hero, but support for Gaston is motivated by the need for a Hero today. But his detractors note that while Gaston is noted for his martial prowess, he is also known for his ostentatious and wasteful spending; it is known that the Ribeau family’s finances are unsteady. Is this the sort of person, they ask, that should be ruling Taliese when the imperial treasury is so deeply in debt?

3. The third candidate is Laskia the Dragonslayer... Her candidacy is an odd one; she is a foreigner, and a foreign Queen at that, currently ruling in Pontria. She was suggested by the Wardess Lady Morganna, perhaps in jest, when Gaston declared that the Empire should be ruled by the greatest warrior. But there have since been whispers, that perhaps as one Hero dies, another one should take his place? There is great skepticism though over if Laskia is indeed the dragon slayer she is said to be; some say they would happily support her if it is true, and that can prove it against the remaining dragons in Pontria and Monstcastel...

For her part, Laskia has been completely silent on the matter.

Though the option for an all-out civil war of course remains, it seems that many consider siding with Gaston and Riliane (and by proxy, Reinhard) to be the best way forward. Still, very few have yet to declare their allegiance openly, and many are hedging their bets, waiting to see how events in the coming months shape up. And if the matter is referred to a Great Council, well...at that point it’s anyone’s guess.

Amidst the debate, there has been noticeable silence from two major figures. First is the Wardess Lady Juliana who has been silent on the entire matter, which has come as some surprise, as she has been rather involved in most other political matters. None have been able to make her utter a single word on the matter.

The other figure is Cardinal Fleury, representing the interests of the Church. Though not a member of the Regency Council, the Church has loaned considerable sums of money to help rebuild Taliese; not only to the imperial crown directly but also to many noble families and cities. As the Regency Council has further broken down in bickering, many are looking to the Church for some guidance. Fleury for his part has remained silent on the matter, but with his vast resources to command, even the Wardens would be careful to cross him. Whichever candidate he chooses to support would have a significant boost to their chances...

Last edited:
All: Some quick announcements

1. I have decided to rejig the stats to balance things a bit better. I have adjusted the amount upwards of positive points that a family can have, in part to encourage more balancing within families and hopefully disincentivizing having a 'dump' character. Please see the updated Chart for further clarification (the OP chart is updated appropriately as well)

2. I will be adding the following traits

Master (+3)-"This character has devoted a lifetime of study to "______" (non magical)
Dreaded (+4)-This character is an extremely terrifying martial leader, physically fit and skilled in a command role on the battlefield and inspires fear in their opponents

3. I will be instituting the following rule: No character can have less than net negative three (-3) points (ie; if you give a character a -5 trait, they will need to have positive traits that at least equal +2.

Last edited:
The Last Ride of Leonard Du Lac:
Some commanders are strategists and tacticians in the traditional sense. They think of logistics, of whether the enemy has had enough to eat, of whether the center, full of veterans in steel plate, can be flanked by smashing the right flank, made of peasants wielding spears. Then there is Leonard Du Lac. He does not think about these aspects in his war making - he instinctually understands them. He can feel where the enemy will waver and where they will break. It is men like him, creatures of instincts, who bring out the full potential of men, who call the uphill charge and lead the desperate spear men to hold the line when they otherwise would not. And it is men like him who best understand when the momentum has turned against them.
Thus he knows before his squire brings the report that the center is buckling under the onslaught of the tyrant. Magic, heavy armor, it matters not in the front of the unreasonable strength of Valerien. The center will not hold, and with its collapse, the battle and perhaps the war, will belong to the enemy. There was but one option.
"Knights" he yells, getting the attention of his personal retinue, "We will charge the tyrant. Tell the rest of the army to retreat while we buy time"
There is a resignation in the eyes of Knight Commander Lucius. He is a good man, Leonard thinks regretfully, still young to die.
With a fearsome war cry, the Knights of Du Lac charge the enemy as the rest of their forces disengage. Some are struck down by arrows and magic, but in a testament to their skills and training, the knights smash into the enemy forces still in a cohesive unit. The initial charge is so ferocious the enemy wave buckles briefly, before adjusting to the onslaught. In the thick of the maelstrom is Leonard. Arondite is shining like the sun and before him, the enemy is blinded, unable to see or fight. Above the man a beautiful woman with golden locks floats, her otherworldly aura healing allies and sickening enemies.
It is not enough. One by one, the valorous knights of the Du Lac are stricken down until only Leonard is left. His blows are so furious and so powerful, no enemy dares approach for to do so would mean certain death.
This is when the emperor comes.
"You have done well coming this far Leonard, grovel before me and I might show you the mercy of a quick death" the Emperor bargains.
"Silence! All I offer you is steel, the only response an ally of justice may give a tyrant. En guarde!"
Leonard lets out a powerful forward slash that manages to scratch the emperor's armor, and the battle begins. The Lady of the Lake's light grows stronger and in its brilliance, the emperor and the Du Lac's battle vanishes from mortal eyes. Neither combatant notices so intense is their focus.
The emperor attempts an armor crushing overhand blow, but is too slow and Leonard breaks the momentum by striking the wrist, before following up by a flurry of slashes, each forcing the emperor on the defensive. As the fight continues, a curious things happens - the emperor sees slashes which are not there and Leonard appears in places he is not. This is not merely a simple illusion, the emperor can feel the wind from the swing and the sharpness of the steel and the arm movement and eye movement appear to indicate a strike, and then it is gone and a blow comes from a different direction. In speed and strength, the emperor may outmatch Leonard, but through pure technique, Leonard holds on alone, bolstered by the protection Arondite offers his lineage. But in the end, Leonard is not the Hero, and Valerien is a monster that has transcended human limitations. There is a blow that Arondite fails to shield Leonard from, and the Emperor's sword enters his gut, as his own sword penetrates the emperor's shoulders.
"How foolish of you to betray me" the tyrants hisses in pain, spitting on Leonard's body.
"You will be the last of your line, I will hunt down all of your descendants and kill them slowly and painfully."
Leonard looks the emperor straight in the eyes as the life fades from his body.
"My children will bury you! May the Du Lac family will be a curse upon you!"
As Leonard utters his final words, the wound Valerien takes causes searing pain and the emperor nearly collapses.
This is no simple wound, he can feel it. This is Arondite's curse, more potent then anything a modern mage could dream of. The Emperor forces himself off the battlefield, too drained to pursue the rest of the Hero's forces. But not before desecrating Leonard's body and taking Arondite with him. Perhaps there was some way to reverse the sword's curse.

Top Bottom