BMP to WBS Converter

0d1n3oo3Broad said:
in principle you just have to rename the ending from *.Civ4WorldBuilderSave to *.CivWarlordsWBSave.
Yes, that works fine for me.

My experience is, that the maximum number of plots for a map is 32768, beyond that no map could be used.

Also should huge maps be usable for computers with less memory, when you lower the graphic details. I only have 1.25 GB of RAM and can use a 287*113 map.

I am trying to use this but on page 11 it says, bit source map, then has height map, where is this??? where to look?? i am new so expect alot of questions?
and i have all installed correctly and i did get a map to appear, just like up to this point, if you were wondering.

the source bitmap is the image from which you make your map from. eg a satelite-picture from an earth-region, a nude picture of your girlfriend ( ;) ) or anything else.
the heigh map is the Default_H.bmp which is in your bmp to wbs converter-folder.

OK got that, but where do i precede from next then? To get those Height: Peak, Hill,Vally, Coast and Ocean? What do i open, i tried the map i made from the instructions and i get a black screen for a second, then gone.? Am i in the ballpark area?

the peak, hill, valley, etc, etc you paint with the corresponding colors in your bmp.
you should open DefaultScenario.py (the scenario of the manual) or EmptyScenario.py. the only file which opens a black window for a second is BMPtoWBSConverter186.py.

od1n3003!!!

i need some help with this program to make a map for warlords! i have spent many hours trying to make it work. ive been getting water only instant defeats, and i once got a peaks only instant defeat! what to do :cry: :cry:

here are my three maps im doing, can you help me get this into something i can start working with:

Attachments

• North_America_H.bmp
    5.7 KB · Views: 281
  • North_America_T.bmp
    5.7 KB · Views: 266
  • North_America_F.bmp
    5.7 KB · Views: 364
it looks like you are using palette-colors instead of RGB.
you have to convert it to RGB and use the RGB-colors mentioned in the manual.

example:
Peak = (128, 0, 0)
Hill = (192, 0, 64)
Valley = (0, 128, 0)
Coast = (0, 0, 255)
Ocean = (0, 0, 128)

i've changed the height map with the proper colors and tried:

Attachments

• North_America_H.bmp
    13.5 KB · Views: 408
I must be lost here, ok i am on page 11 what do i do?
then after that?

what exactly don't you understand?

take your source-image which you want to convert to a civ4-map. open it in a paint-programme (ms paint, etc) and then all you have to do is to paint the topography in the colors mentioned there. on page 12 the RGB-values of the topography are listed.

OK, this is what i ended up with, but i opened the map and its all mountains and water??

your green in the terrain.bmp is to bright. your green is {0,255,0} but it should be {0,128,0}. because of this mistake the converter makes all the land as mountains. you need at least a (correct) height.bmp and terrain.bmp.

the green in your height.bmp is also wrong. it's {0,166,0} but should also be {0,128,0}.

i uploaded my colorkey.png which i merged from the pics in the pdf some mont ago as i started mapmaking. you can grasp the colors or type them into the rgb-table. it's ordered in the same oorder as it appears in the pdf.
- height map
- terrain
- features
- rivers

Attachments

• Kartenfarbschlüßel.png
    Kartenfarbschlüßel.png
    38.4 KB · Views: 348
0d1n3oo3Broad said:
your green in the terrain.bmp is to bright. your green is {0,255,0} but it should be {0,128,0}. because of this mistake the converter makes all the land as mountains. you need at least a (correct) height.bmp and terrain.bmp.

the green in your height.bmp is also wrong. it's {0,166,0} but should also be {0,128,0}.

i uploaded my colorkey.png which i merged from the pics in the pdf some mont ago as i started mapmaking. you can grasp the colors or type them into the rgb-table. it's ordered in the same oorder as it appears in the pdf.
- height map
- terrain
- features
- rivers

OK great i got it working , i am so pleased, THX for the help, really.:goodjob: and the great rgb table.

EDIT: Do you know how to chnage the size of an already existing map? ie Huge to Standard?

what exactly do you mean? the "SIZE_HUGE" in the map or the dimensions (fe: 80x60) of the map?
you can do the first easily when you open the map in a texteditor like notepad.

but the second.....if you don't have the bmps for the map, then it's going to be a hard work. if you wan't a 100x50 map afterwards resize to 80x40, the you also have to delete all the coordinates between 100 and 80 in x-direction and 50 and 40 in y-direction. that would be 200 coordinates.

Just wondering, about 90% of the time that i make the map larger on the height side, when i look at the map it says "You are defeated", also i put in for 11 players when the scale is different from the 11 player default, and it only puts five civs there but the WB has the 11 listed, but not on the map , unless they are in the BLACKED out area? Hope i made everything understanding here?

Hi, attached is a version of BMPtoWBSConverter186.py with the following
changes:

- Bonuses are not placed on Peaks.
- Converter no longer gives an error when an optional map is missing.
- Converter is now backward compatible with scenario files before
Door's mod. It also doesn't output empty "RouteType=" if route
map missing, nor empty "BonusType=" if bonus map is missing.

some friendlier error and UI handling:
- User can choose to append ".Civ4WorldBuilderSave" or
".CivWarlordsWBSave" to output file name.
- Converter exits with error if Height map is detected to be not
a 24-bit, RGB BMP file.
- Converter warns user if Terrain map is missing.
- Converter doesn't quit with error if user cancels WSB file
dialog box.
- Open file dialog remembers working directory.
- On MacOSX, script first changes directory to script's directory.

some bug fixes:
- DetermineImprovementData() checked for existence of BonusMap,
corrected to check for ImprovementMap.
- DetermineFeatureData() in the case of flood plains checked
for CoastsFlag for auto placement, corrected to check for
FloodPlainsFlag.
- Count river stuff lines in ConvertBMP() were indented too much.
- Use None (null object) instead of "NONE" or "".

Attachments

• BMPtoWBSConverter186.py.zip
    13.6 KB · Views: 2,503
OK tried out the new product and all i did was change the size to 128X80 and Civ starts to 18 and it came back, "You have been defeated." ??? And i loaded each one correctly.

EDIT: Tried different map with h/t/f/r/etc and it worked. But then i tried your default stuff again and same results You were defeated.

PS The color code for IVORY must be wrong, i have tried on five different maps and IVORY is always 0 and i know i put at least 15 marked on map.?

Top Bottom