Booga games diar..rhea

1. What makes Ghandi decide to pursue Buddhism and not Hinduism?
It's an interesting one - Buddhism is cheaper and that has good weight but so has Hinduism as his favourite religion so basically random!

Think both are random unfortunately.

When I use Gandhi, he quite often picks up two religions very early, though. One of Buddhism/Hinduism + Judaism. Then can go into missionary spam and get a shrine, and "forget" to REX. He's an odd one at times.

For me, he's at competition for religion with Musa.
I have 2 reasons for preferring a Buddhist Ghandi -
1. A chance for "Blessed Sea" quest to appear (for a great prophet)
2. When Ghandi goes Buddhist, Musa goes Hindu. That means I get Polytheism from him upon Alphabet, and also a reasonable chance for him to go for Masonry->Monothiesm :) . Trading techs with Musa is much better (for my path) when Musa is Hindu.
If Ghandi does Polytheism and goes Hindu first, Musa will abandon the path to Monotheism. Probably because he's already one tech behind.

I know I'm overthinking things that are near pure luck, but had to pour these thoughts! :crazyeye:

Sounds like a play for a shrine. Big and small? As to worker: turn 40? Marathon? Gandhi sometime builds worker first? I've seen Zara do this before.

Sounds like a play for a shrine. Big and small? As to worker: turn 40? Marathon? Gandhi sometime builds worker first? I've seen Zara do this before.
Terra. Marathon.
Ghandi half the time builds worker first (after a warrior), else grows to size 2.

Hi.
No games found yet. But that is about to change.
I advanced a lot in... MapFinder Techs.
But I solved one of my main issues finding a map (!!!) :

As explained a few posts back, when Ghandi turns to size 2 early, he usually pops a worker at turn 46.
However, when he stays size 1, he pops it at turn 40-41.
[All that assuming he's not sitting on 2 hammers]

Many times I cannot see his city and have to guess its' size, resulting in me declaring war at turn 39 and hoping for a worker at turn 40.
If I find him at size 2, that's a lost game, as he switches to warrior and does not finish the worker construction.
This was a major source of frustration.
Yesterday I remembered - F9. Top 5 cities. The city size is there.
There is no icon to express the extreme happiness I'm in.
Knowing that I shall never have to guess again, I'm sure finding a map just got at least a X3 boost.

Game Breakers :
1. No Stone.
2. Musa with Marble. It does not go well with my late Oracle.
Still considering to continue games with no Marble on mainland.
3. I still have to see Ghandi adopt Buddhism, NOT Hinduism.
Unless my early commerce is off the charts. If he adopts Hinduism, I quit.
I would have to do Poly+Masonry+Mono all by myself. And lose some optional quests :(

Other techs I learned :
* Knowing many.. many.. many.. terra maps.
* Capital on 2 hammers is a great advantage. Rivers and food are most important for the capital, followed by commerce resources, followed by sea location.
* Another advantage is when at least one of the cities is on sea to exploit Gr. Lighthouse and Collosus earli...er. Ghandi does start at a port city many times. Me too :)

I'm still learning when to expand properly with my strategy, but looking for a good map.
Quite tired after all the searching so far, but good prospects for the future. :thumbsup:

Progress! I remember the first civ4 game I played. I chose Gandhi and went worker first. So 41+38=79. Sometimes I have a warrior rush ready by turn 80.

:mischief:

My first game was Civ1.
Just after I built my capital, I was distressed to find that I can't find my settler.
I called my cousin to ask where has my settler gone, and he explained that a city IS where that settler has gone... ;)

Still on mapfinder. Found 2 games that weren't.. good enough.
I'm wondering how you expand.
I start with 2 cities, no settlers/workers from huts on Noble.
There are 2 paths I'm conflicting between.
1. Early 2 settlers -> 4 close cities. In this case I can do Metal casting before going Math->Currency.
The minus side is obviously trade, since Currency is delayed.
OTOH, I'm chopping forests after math, with forge chopped first, so the forge effects later chops, increasing chopping effectiveness early.
2. Early 3-4 settlers -> 5-6 cities. In this case I must go to Math->Currency first or be doomed financially...
Here the plus side is trade and the minus is that it causes Metal casting to come later. (and I can't resist chopping at least a few forests without the forge)

There's always distances and resources I can't miss, but that's the bare conflict.

I'm Huayna (Financial / Industrial).
I'm booga.
Wait, I am? Am I?
What?
Booga. into space.

2. Early 3-4 settlers -> 5-6 cities. In this case I must go to Math->Currency first or be doomed financially...
I loaded 1600 BC Frederick game to check some things. The simply answer to finance is cottages. But civic upkeep was 15 gold for 15 cities and none had courthouses. With a 50% civic discount and trade routes valued at 1 gold per city, the organized trait has the same value as currency.

I loaded 1600 BC Frederick game to check some things. The simply answer to finance is cottages. But civic upkeep was 15 gold for 15 cities and none had courthouses. With a 50% civic discount and trade routes valued at 1 gold per city, the organized trait has the same value as currency.

Yes, Currency isn't too much at start - like 1-2 extra cottages at best, but every bit counts at that point.
I'm not playing Darius (Organized) yet, so being "organized" is not an option, and forgot to mention that as industrialist, I do build A LOT of wonders (the "extras" being Pyramids, Collosus, Great Light, Great Lib). That also hinders early settler production.
But since I don't want to be without them, I settle for 4-5 cities on first expansion.
Still, with a powerful capital and some starting cash, I can sometimes reach Metal casting first, and never sure if it is ok.
I'm now testing with Math->Currency first. Plays much more natural :)
Also gives time for whipping and more workers/settlers (without forge :( )
I'm conflicted!!

Still, with a powerful capital and some starting cash, I can sometimes reach Metal casting first, and never sure if it is ok.
I've toyed with this too. It may be possible to beeline CoL 1st and then dash to banking. I think Guilds has to be Oracled and Banking bulbed. Elizabeth may be able to do it. BW/Math/CS etc. can come after.

MC is the fastest way to get going on an engineer but the Hagia Sophia is the cheapest engineer wonder. Hanging Gardens with no stone bonus on the aqueduct is the same cost as the pyramids. (Two aqueducts with a stone bonus + the wonder.)

My engineer will pop fine from Pyramids+Engineer whatever the case is.
That is not an issue. Making the +25% hammers bonus early, and therefor build efficiently early, is. :)

The first GP is a Sci for Academy, second is Engineer with around 85-95% certainty.

It looks like settler duel depends more on a 4-1 settler-worker start or a 3-2 one. I just ran a test with Elizabeth on a 3-2 start, building another settler at pop 4-5. By 2250 BC civics were: OR, bureaucracy, and caste with a forge almost done. 6 cities. 4 are geared towards cottages, one for production of Oracle (for CS) and MoM, and one for GPs. An academy is in the capitol. After teching 2 or 3 needed techs path went: CoL, sailing, BW, MC with IW/currency/and calendar open. Maybe IW had finished. 6 cities ready to explode to 14-15. There are 16 cottages, 2 or 3 have to be grown onto yet. (AI got to BW so there was a small discount.)

It looks like an early play for an academy (CoL) is worth it. Map was a rainforest. Border pops are not too desirable. So no terraces.

It looks like settler duel depends more on a 4-1 settler-worker start or a 3-2 one. I just ran a test with Elizabeth on a 3-2 start, building another settler at pop 4-5. By 2250 BC civics were: OR, bureaucracy, and caste with a forge almost done. 6 cities. 4 are geared towards cottages, one for production of Oracle (for CS) and MoM, and one for GPs. An academy is in the capitol. After teching 2 or 3 needed techs path went: CoL, sailing, BW, MC with IW/currency/and calendar open. Maybe IW had finished. 6 cities ready to explode to 14-15. There are 16 cottages, 2 or 3 have to be grown onto yet. (AI got to BW so there was a small discount.)

It looks like an early play for an academy (CoL) is worth it. Map was a rainforest. Border pops are not too desirable. So no terraces.
Isn't this something for your thread?
It has no connection with my game... where no settlers and no workers are guaranteed ;)

I missed the Noble part. So those 3-4 settlers are hard built! Meanwhile, you got me wondering about which of 2 reasonable possibilities was better. Possibly they are equal.

Ok. No record.
I've done a game close to it but with no astronomy from a hut and no GA, and failed to break the record.
I know where I'm heading but I think I need a break, and going to spend at least a week or 2 on a similar game just to release my brain..
Egypt : Old Kingdom.
I'm certain I will be back here soon to try again (if I don't die of covid..) :)

Top Bottom