Brave New World's 9 new Civs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm also pro-Haida. I honestly wish it didn't have to be one or the other because of how unlikely it is they'd both make it. Or you know, a long shot at all for any inclusion.

If I were picking nine more to add:

9. Australia - Menzies/Mackenzie - (dark horse, UA could allow them to lend units to city states for influence, perhaps)

That's one of the new tenets for the ideologies I think - yielding higher influence from gifted units.

2. Romania - Vlad Tepes (famous figure, would sell games)
In reality we're reaching a point of really no new diversity in the Civs. If there are 9 new civs to be introduced in an ensuing expansion I would love to see...

1. Romania
2. Inuit
3. Caribbean
4. Tatars (representing the 'stans of the Central Asian Steppes)
5. Aboriginals
6. Powhatan
7. Toltecs
8. South Africa
9. Chinook

Romania Vlad III 1431-1476
Capital: Bucharest
UA: Blood of the Dacians - Horses grant twice the normal quantity. Cities will rebel twice as long when captured by another Civ. When at war with a more powerful civ great generals spawn three times as fast.
UU: Falx (replaces swordsmen) - No penalty for crossing river. Bonus against armored units. Less construction cost than swordsemen
UB: Castel (replaces Castle) - +2 culture and +? Defense

Inuit Akaitcho 1786-1838
Capital: Yellowknife
UA: Aurora Borealis - Units recieve major combat bonus in Tundra and Snow tiles, double movement, may pass through ice tiles.
UU: Canoe (replaces fishing boat) - +food and +culture
UB: Igloo (replaces Monument) - +food when built in tundra or snow

etc.

Why are you guys keep bringing up Romania? :rolleyes:
Didn't you read the conversation from a few pages before??
If you want another civ from Europe, Wallachia/Romania is very far from the top options...
Also, Vlad is a terrible leader choice. If you are thinking about a romanian leader, Michael the Brave is way better, even if his kingdom was very short-lived

Anyway, I hope this list is just a joke
I would hate to see any of these 9 included in the next expansion. I won't even include them in the next 43 civs...
There are so many much better options, just a couple from the top of my head:
Sumer, Hittites, Hungary, Phoenicia, Khmer, Mali, Armenia, Tibet, Pueblo, Cherokee, Mapuche, Kongo, Nubia, Khazaria, Vietnam, Bulgaria

The thing is we have had soooo many European civs already, I sort of expect that the remaining ones if they included more would have to rely on famous persona to the US/West

Why are you guys keep bringing up Romania? :rolleyes:
Didn't you read the conversation from a few pages before??
If you want another civ from Europe, Romania is very far from the top options...
Also, Vlad is a terrible leader choice. If you are thinking about a romanian leader, Michael the Brave is way better, even if his kingdom was very short-lived

Anyway, I hope this list is just a joke
I would hate to see any of these 9 included, I won't include any of them in the next expansion. Not even in the next 43 civs...
There are so many great options, just a couple from the top of my head:
Sumer, Hittites, Hungary, Phoenicia, Khmer, Mali, Armenia, Tibet, Pueblo, Cherokee, Mapuche, Kongo, Nubia, Khazaria, Vietnam, Bulgaria

Can't tell if serious.
These are just more of the same. There is nothing explicitly unique about them.
Sumer, Hittites, Pueblo, Kongo are the closest thing to unique in your list.
My list goes something like:
Sumer - Food/Growth and Culture Focus
Hittites - A deadly mix of Offensive bonuses, and city defense focus
Pueblo - Mountain/Plains Focus
Kongo - Jungle and Culture Focus
Inuit - Tundra and Ice Focus
Aboriginal - Culture and Growth Focus
+ 3 more civs.

Can't tell if serious.
These are just more of the same. There is nothing explicitly unique about them.
My list goes something like:
Sumer - Food/Growth and Culture Focus
Hittites - A deadly mix of Offensive bonuses, and city defense focus
Pueblo - Mountain/Plains Focus
Kongo - Jungle and Culture Focus
+ 3 more civs.

I'm mainly talking about historical reasons, while you are mentioning gameplay reasons.
Still, a couple points:
Really? Then please read a little more about the history of Armenia, Hungary, Khmer, or Khazaria for example
Also, all civs I mentioned could easily be made unique enough (from a gameplay point of view)
Inuits and Aboriginals are two civs I would never include, not if we could have 100+ more civs.
Those are not civilizations in the sense Firaxis interprets it in the civ franchise.

Sumerians invented the alphabet. Hungarians invented gulash and how to get conquered by Turks and Austrians. My vote goes to Sumer over Hungary.

I'm mainly talking about historical reasons, while you are mentioning gameplay reasons.
Still, a couple points:

Really? Then please read a little more about the history of Armenia, Hungary, Khmer, or Khazaria for example
Also, all civs I mentioned could easily be made unique enough (from a gameplay point of view)

Inuits and Aboriginals are two civs I would never include, not if we could have 100+ more civs.
Those are not civilizations in the sense Firaxis interprets it in the civ franchise.

Yes, but there is more than enough of Europe in this game (Said no one ever).
I'm still upset that they included Poland and Venice, though Venice is unique in its own way, Poland is just a space taker.
Portugal is alright. We've been waiting for them for a long while.
Nevertheless, no Hungary.
Khmer already have some representation in the game, thank you Siam. Though they are not exact copies of each other, I'd still prefer Siam over Khmer.
Khazaria... eh. It was a major civ because of its control over the some of the silk road trade, but something holds me back from including them. Perhaps its the fact that we have enough trade based civs already, thanks to this expansion.
Armenia is just more of the same. Big kingdom rises, middle middle middle, kingdom falls to other rising powers, repeat.

Sumerians invented the alphabet. Hungarians invented gulash and how to get conquered by Turks and Austrians. My vote goes to Sumer over Hungary.

Lol. Please read some history before posting.
Btw, a couple hungarian inventions for you:
- János Irinyi invented the noiseless match.
- In 1827 Ányos Jedlik invented the electric motor. He created the first device to contain the three main components of practical direct current motors: the stator, rotor and commutator.
- Donát Bánki and János Csonka invented the Carburetor for the stationary engine.
- Ottó Bláthy, Miksa Déri and Károly Zipernowsky invented the modern transformer in 1885.
- Kálmán Kandó invented the Three-phase Alternating Current Electric locomotive, and was a pioneer in the development of electric railway traction.
- Tivadar Puskás invented the Telephone Exchange.
- Loránd Eötvös: weak equivalence principle and surface tension
- Karl Ereky invented, coined the term and developed the notion: biotechnology
- Albert Szent-Györgyi discovered Vitamin C and created the first artificial vitamin.(Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine in 1937)
- Kálmán Tihanyi invented the modern cathode ray tube and completely electronic television in (1928) called Radioscope and was therefore included in the Memory of the World Register-Europe and North America as the very first Hungarian.
- Kálmán Tihanyi invented the Thermographic camera (1929) and The Plasma television (1936)
- Theodore Kármán – Mathematical tools to study fluid flow and mathematical background of supersonic flight and inventor of swept-back wings, "father of Supersonic Flight"
- Leó Szilárd: hypothesized the nuclear chain reaction (therefore he was the first who realized the feasibility of an atomic bomb), patented the Nuclear reactor, invented the Electron microscope
- Dennis Gabor invented the Holography (Nobel Prize in Physics in 1971)
- László Bíró invented ballpoint pen
- Edward Teller hypothesized the thermonuclear fusion and the theory of the hydrogen bomb

Regardless of Hungary's actual achievements (but they were pretty impressive, though), and despite the fact that Europe in general is overrepresented in my opinion, the fact is most of the overrepresentation of Europe comes from Western European and Mediterranean civs. In fact, until BNW and Poland, the only truly Eastern European civ we had was Russia! (Huns are sort of a grey zone for me as while they settled in Eastern Europe they weren't originally from there nor did they do anything much permanent there)

While I don't like having more European civs in general, I do think Eastern Europe could use a bit more love. In my opinion, the top-tier candidates for Eastern Europe are Hungary and Bulgaria. Both were important and powerful states in their heyday. Hungary, in particular, has had its cultural contributions to the world, and Bulgaria is an important part of Orthodox Christianity. Hungary was one of the most powerful states in Europe during the medieval and early modern era, while Bulgaria created two empires that both gave the Byzantines a huge headache and influenced the progression of Balkan history.

As such, I think there is a strong case for both Hungary and Bulgaria. Personally I want Hungary more, because I find Hungary's culture more fascinating.

tl;dr: Europe is overrepresented in my opinion. Unfortunately, most of that overrepresentation comes from Western Europe and the Mediterranean. There's still quite some gaps in Eastern Europe, and in my opinion the two best candidates from Eastern Europe would be the Hungarians and the Bulgarians.

Regardless of Hungary's actual achievements (but they were pretty impressive, though), and despite the fact that Europe in general is overrepresented in my opinion, the fact is most of the overrepresentation of Europe comes from Western European and Mediterranean civs. In fact, until BNW and Poland, the only truly Eastern European civ we had was Russia! (Huns are sort of a grey zone for me as while they settled in Eastern Europe they weren't originally from there nor did they do anything much permanent there)

While I don't like having more European civs in general, I do think Eastern Europe could use a bit more love. In my opinion, the top-tier candidates for Eastern Europe are Hungary and Bulgaria. Both were important and powerful states in their heyday. Hungary, in particular, has had its cultural contributions to the world, and Bulgaria is an important part of Orthodox Christianity. Hungary was one of the most powerful states in Europe during the medieval and early modern era, while Bulgaria created two empires that both gave the Byzantines a huge headache and influenced the progression of Balkan history.

As such, I think there is a strong case for both Hungary and Bulgaria. Personally I want Hungary more, because I find Hungary's culture more fascinating.

tl;dr: Europe is overrepresented in my opinion. Unfortunately, most of that overrepresentation comes from Western Europe and the Mediterranean. There's still quite some gaps in Eastern Europe, and in my opinion the two best candidates from Eastern Europe would be the Hungarians and the Bulgarians.

What about Austria? Isn't everything east of Central Germany constitute as Eastern Europe?

What about Austria? Isn't everything east of Central Germany constitute as Eastern Europe?

I figure that given Austria's close cultural association with Central and Western Europe it counts more as a Western civ.

Maybe I'm thinking too much in Cold War terms. :lol:

Dido says this in game: "The Phoenicians welcome you to our fair nation. I am Dido, Queen of Carthage and all her holdings."

I would say they consider Carthage to cover Phoenicia.

Dido says this in game: "The Phoenicians welcome you to our fair nation. I am Dido, Queen of Carthage and all her holdings."

I would say they consider Carthage to cover Phoenicia.

The Canaanite blesses you [that you have found] the most pleasant kingdom. I am Dido, the queen of Qart Hadasht and everything that [encompasses].

- János Irinyi invented the noiseless match.

I laughed out loud.

The fact is, Hungary is a rather pathetic nation that spent most of its history being ruled by its neighbors. At least the Treaty of Trianon put it where it belongs.

Moderator Action: Please do not troll the forums. This is both uncivil and unnecessary.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

I laughed out loud.

The fact is, Hungary is a rather pathetic nation that spent most of its history being ruled by its neighbors. At least the Treaty of Trianon put it where it belongs.

Ignorance is bliss.

Moderator Action: Please report troll posts instead of replying to them. Replying only creates more problems.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

I'd rather have Lithuania than Hungary but that probably won't happen. Even though Lithuania was far more powerful in its time

I'd rather have Lithuania than Hungary but that probably won't happen. Even though Lithuania was far more powerful in its time

Lithuania is represented by Poland in the game. We can always find a time period where any country is more powerful than one another.

Hungary is the one of the few(Bulgaria is another example IMO) civilization in Eruope that is left out in the game for unknown reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom