Brexit Thread VI - The Knockout Phase ?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hrothbern

Deity
Retired Moderator
Last edited:
Just three weeks left then. It's better than just one week, of course.

Just three weeks left then. It's better than just one week, of course.

No, it really isn't. Get it over with seems the best. Unless you think something is actually going to change in three weeks.

Something is definitely going to change in the next three weeks - we'll know what's about to happen, for one thing.

So, what all practical preparations been made for the possibility of truly not reaching a deal, and the UK crashing out on April 12? It's pretty obvious that no deal actually will be reached, and it seems to me the UK and the EU should spend this time hiring customs officers and setting things up for the default WTO trade rules. Is the UK actually seriously preparing now, or are they content to keep performing Monty Python skits in Parliament while insisting that something will be figured the day before?

edit: Good x-post, Hrothbern!

So, what all practical preparations been made for the possibility of truly not reaching a deal, and the UK crashing out on April 12? It's pretty obvious that no deal actually will be reached, and it seems to me the UK and the EU should spend this time hiring customs officers and setting things up for the default WTO trade rules. Is the UK actually seriously preparing now, or are they content to keep performing Monty Python skits in Parliament while insisting that something will be figured the day before?

edit: Good x-post, Hrothbern!

What seems to be getting the most preparation is the denials that the disaster was actually predictable. Any actual preparations would perforce require acknowledging that there is a disaster on the horizon clearly visible, and that would make it impossible to say "well, yeah, it's a disaster but who could have guessed that this was coming?"

If that happens the next thread can be titled "Operation YellowHammer"
:lol:

We are preparing. The EU has done a more thorough job of preparing than the UK, afaik, but then again, there's a limit to how prepared one can be to shoot oneself in the foot...

But yes, command centres in UK bunkers are now manned, preparing for the worst, evacuation plans for the Queen are in place, troops and police reserves stand ready, and a sort of system for making sure some fraction of food and medicines will be available has been conjured.

Also, Rees-Mogg has moved his company to Ireland, Nigel Farage has gotten his kids German passports renewed, though he got caught at trying to claim his brother-in-laws Hamburg flat as his home when applying himself, and Ratcliffe has moved to Monacco.

Everything seems to be on schedule.

The EU did come up with a two-week extension, so it will be a bit harder to blame the disaster on them, but I'm sure they will manage to do so eventually.

:lol:

We are preparing. The EU has done a more thorough job of preparing than the UK, afaik, but then again, there's a limit to how prepared one can be to shoot oneself in the foot...

But yes, command centres in UK bunkers are now manned, preparing for the worst, evacuation plans for the Queen are in place, troops and police reserves stand ready, and a sort of system for making sure some fraction of food and medicines will be available has been conjured.

Also, Rees-Mogg has moved his company to Ireland, Nigel Farage has gotten his kids German passports renewed, though he got caught at trying to claim his brother-in-laws Hamburg flat as his home when applying himself, and Ratcliffe has moved to Monacco.

Everything seems to be on schedule.

The EU did come up with a two-week extension, so it will be a bit harder to blame the disaster on them, but I'm sure they will manage to do so eventually.

I would expect the EU to be quite well prepared. They have absolutely no reason to pretend that they don't see the problems coming, and the problems are in fact pretty predictable.

Can someone talk about exactly what consequences are anticipated that require these kinds of emergency measures (bunker command posts being manned, evacuation of the Royal Family, etc)?

Read this in the pub earlier about KCC plans for schools in the event of Mogg's preferred option.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...ils-parents-traffic-disruption-no-deal-brexit

If I would have some permanent horsehocky job, I would go on holiday to some cheap sunny country just before Brexit-Day and hope for the best (all airplanes grounded to the UK) :lol:

Can someone talk about exactly what consequences are anticipated that require these kinds of emergency measures (bunker command posts being manned, evacuation of the Royal Family, etc)?

Is all BS
People covering their asses.
Quite toxic environment emerging (among politicians).

Numerous companies that provide food have said that they expect the disruption in their supplies to render them unable to perform that trivial function for an extended period. They were dismissed as "alarmists."

The command posts will be in bunkers because of they have to deal with every option. Why build more than one.
I have been inside a RAF nuclear bunker back in the late 80s, we were doing some work on it, not sure if I would want to stay inside for a few months.

I am not really sure what you mean. I recall seeing an exhibit in the London Blitz Museum of Churchill's bunker (I guess it was under 10 Downing Street?). Is what you're talking about like that?

Gotta agree with Tim here. It's high time it finally effing end.
If you want the UK out of the EU, get on with it already.
If you really want the UK to be in the EU, then the faster you're out of it, the faster you can say "well, uh, that was a dumb move, can we come back ?". Of course the UK is going to look like an indecisive idiot, but hey, it's already been the case for three years, nothing new.

On a slightly off topic point, i think threads like these should be archived and indexed somewhere. Speaking as someone who studied history, threads like this will be invaluable to historians when they try and figure out what people were thinking at the time.

When you cancel a peace treaty, it might not be a bad idea to be prepared for war.

Gotta agree with Tim here. It's high time it finally effing end.
If you want the UK out of the EU, get on with it already.
If you really want the UK to be in the EU, then the faster you're out of it, the faster you can say "well, uh, that was a dumb move, can we come back ?". Of course the UK is going to look like an indecisive idiot, but hey, it's already been the case for three years, nothing new.

First we get some fireworks in the Commons
The MP's going for taking over the lead from No 10 (Wednesday), to get all options to a cross-party vote
And perhaps May is going to pre-empt that (and ditch her deal), in which case the DUP and the ERG will be knocked out as first

When you cancel a peace treaty, it might not be a bad idea to be prepared for war.

I've always considered the EU to be more of a trade agreement than a peace treaty. It's not like it has done anything to supersede or supplant NATO, has it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom