Broken Granaries?

MrSweetchuck

Chieftain
During a recent game I was playing I noticed something strange. There were two cities in my empire that had granaries, but the food storage box didn't show the usual granary effects (i.e. there was no 50% storage). All the other granaries in my cities were working correctly. Maybe I'm overlooking something basic, but can someone explain why the granary in this city (first screenshot) doesn't appear to be working, while the granary in a city right next door (second screenshot) does?
broken granary.png

working granary.png

but can someone explain why the granary in this city (first screenshot) doesn't appear to be working
It stands to reason that it is working. Wait till 50% of those 60 food slots are filled. At the current pace this will take 15 turns, but pollution can change the calculation.

What granaries do upon growth is that they save 50% of the old maximum of food slots. So if you are at size 12 and fill all 40 food slots, then upon growth to size 13(or 14 with the longevity wonder) you get 20 food slots filled out of the new maximum of 60.

Last edited:
Oh, okay! Thank you for the detailed response. I guess I never paid too much attention to the actual mechanics behind granaries. I just assumed that the UI of the city screen always displayed the little "granary line" separator over the food box once the city had a granary, regardless of how much food was actually stored in it. But now the way you explain it, I guess I was just looking at it at the wrong moment, I needed to wait to see it change after it grew to over 50%!

Hi, which mod do you use to show the information on production in the lower right? Do you play on Steam or GOG? I want to find the right mod to add/ help game play while being w/in HOF rules.

That's one of the QOL additions in @Flintlock's patch system ("C3X"). Read about it here:

Some of the more exotic options will likely not be HOF/GOTM compatible (@Lanzelot may be able to weigh in on that?), but the patch is set up so you can turn everything on/off at will using a separate config file.

I use it mostly just for the QOL stuff and the bugfixes, but I've also enabled the AI Army-usage and Arty-usage routines, which makes them a lot scarier.

Some of the more exotic options will likely not be HOF/GOTM compatible
Indeed, on the HOF Rules page, the "use of any utility program not on the acceptable utility program list" is forbidden, with the list being here.

(Disclaimer: I am not on the HOF staff, just a moderator)

I just now realized the reason why this threw me so much was because I was recently coming from playing Civ 1, where there, building a granary puts a "granary line" over your food storage box immediately. So any city, regardless of how much food is actually stored, will show this line over the food storage. Which makes just so much sense. Why they changed this in Civ 3, to only show the line once your food storage was over 50%, is a mystery. It's so much more confusing!

I just now realized the reason why this threw me so much was because I was recently coming from playing Civ 1, where there, building a granary puts a "granary line" over your food storage box immediately. So any city, regardless of how much food is actually stored, will show this line over the food storage. Which makes just so much sense. Why they changed this in Civ 3, to only show the line once your food storage was over 50%, is a mystery. It's so much more confusing!

I've sat here for a few minutes trying to think of some advantage of having the granary line disappear. If it disappears, food production was likely below maintainence level. So, having a granary without a line makes for a clue about the danger of starvation as a possibility.

A common time when that occurs comes after an anarchy for players who build granaries in despotism. Or when pollution will lead to a food deficit, which I think happens often late game in cities with hospitals even with all tiles irrigated.

Also, anytime a city with a granary grows to size 7 there is no granary line. Though in that case there was no food deficit.

Anytime a city grows to size 13, it has a hospital and pollution comes into effect. So, size 13 cities end up in danger of starvation if they don't have enough surplus food to overwhelm food loss when pollution hits. Thus, irrigating tiles makes sense absent any production considerations. That fits with size 13 cities needing more food to grow also.

Tiles getting pillaged makes for another time when cities with granary can experience a food deficit.

Top Bottom