BroodWar (Warlords 2.13 mod)

Eusebius

Warlord
[FONT=Haettenschweiler, sans-serif]BroodWar[/FONT][FONT=Haettenschweiler, sans-serif]– A Civ IV Mod for Warlords 2.13[/FONT]

[FONT=Haettenschweiler, sans-serif]Download Here: http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=7303[/FONT]

This mod attempts to capture the flavor of the original Starcraft game, especially the intricate balance between completely different unit sets possessed by different races. This mod is not a complete conversion of the Starcraft game as the late, very ambitious CIVCRAFT mod was. There are 16 civilizations (4 of each race) and 26 leaders. Each race has its own set of terrain improvements, units and buildings (with only a few in common). The Civopedia is fully updated for information on each civilization, unit, race (under the religion header), leader, building and wonder.

Status – October 6, 2007
This first release should be considered alpha, although I have exercised the code a lot with AI-Autoplay, so hopefully nothing blows up. Please post ideas, bug reports and feedback to the forum. No, I do not plan to convert this to Beyond The Sword; Warlords has all the features I need. It is designed to run under Warlords 2.13.

Installation
This mod is designed to be installed into the Warlords\Mods directory, not Custom Assets. I have been playing it with only the Conquest and Domination victory conditions turned on and with Aggressive AI. That seems to generate about the right amount of conflict for a battle-oriented mod.

Known Bugs/Deficiencies
Spoiler :

1. This is an ambitious mod for a single individual, so I have taken some shortcuts. I have filled in unit, building names and civopedia entries directly in the unit, building, etc. files instead of having separate XML text entries. That will make conversion to other languages much more difficult.
  2. I always play with the sound turned off and have put no effort into the audio part of the mod.
  3. The screen comparing production of known civs doesn't work.
  4. AI controlled Zerg civs automatically declare war on first contact with non-Zerg civs. But when you meet one, the initial dialog giving you the choice of war or peace pops up anyway.
  5. Automated workers don't seem to build some kinds of improvements. If anyone can figure out why, please let me know!
  6. The AI does not handle some kinds of units well, especially Protoss units.
  7. Protoss Observers ought to be able to go over water, but I'm not sure how to do this.

Race Overview

Terran: These nomadic humans are always on the hunt for new planets with mineral wealth they can exploit. If they have to kill a few bug-eyed aliens and dump some toxic waste, then that is just the cost of doing business.

Zerg: Adaptable and vicious, The Swarm consumes all in its path. They exploit the genetic potential of new planets to add to The Swarm's might. Part of the great strength of the Zerg is their ability to rapidly heal injuries, even while moving toward the next battle. Enemies should beware the Sunken Colonies that attack enemies coming near them.

Protoss: These ancient warriors are extremely advanced both psionically and technologically. They have little need for either minerals or crops; their settlements do not damage native environments. They want to protect planets from the Zerg (who they consider worthy opponents) and the Terrans (who they consider despicable scavengers).

Goa'uld/Jaffa: The natives of the planet being contested, these races have a symbiotic relationship. Most of the humanoid Jaffa have an immature Goa'uld symbiotic inside them, which gives them the ability to heal faster than humans. Mature Goa'uld symbiotes can possess Jaffa or other creatures and take control of them. This race is less technologically advanced than the invaders but learn quickly. Let the newcomers beware!

Resources
The most important for everyone is Vespene Gas, followed by Crystalline Mineral (especially for Terran) and Khaydarin Crystals (especially for Protoss). In this mod, animal resources reproduce, so you will see animal units walking around and settling new squares. In fact, the Terrans brought two Sheep units with them to help settle this new world.

Technologies
All technologies cost exactly the same amount. That means that it will take something like seventy turns to research your first tech. The second is about half that and then things snowball so that they come fairly quickly. In the game world, we assume that the Starcraft races already have all the technologies and are just reproducing them on this new planet. The Jaffa are copying what they see the other races do. The eras are artificially frozen so that the cities look the way I want them too. No one ever changes eras.

Unit Notes
Spoiler :

1. The civopedia does not clearly distinguish between two types of invisible units.
  2. Units invisible through psionic mind manipulation: Protoss Dark Templar, Terran Ghost, Zerg Blade Queen
  3. Units invisible through technology, burrowing or submersion are: Jaffa Submarine, Jaffa Stealth Bomber, Protoss Observer, Protoss Arbiter, Terran Wraith, Zergling, Zerg Aqualord, Zerg Lurker, Zerg Defiler
  4. All missile units are single-use; they die even if they win a combat. So are Protoss Hallucinations and Zerg Infested Terrans.
  5. The following units may only be built in conquered cities: Protoss Dark Templar, Zerg Infested Terran, Zerg-Goa'uld Spy, Zerg Blade Queen. They require the presence of two races (religions).

Credits/Gratitude...
Spoiler :

1. This mod uses Ruff's Cobbled Together Mod.
  2. The SDK incorporates a version of BetterAI.
  3. I love AI-Autoplay! I don't know how I would test without it.
  4. A modified version of Jeckel's Zone of Control mod is used so that Sunken Colonies do damage to nearby units.
  5. Got a number of icons and building NIFs from CIVCRAFT—thanks especially to whoever did the Zerg buildings!
  6. I used the Dark Terrain Mod from LittleGusanos.
  7. I took a bunch of art from Warhammer Fantasy Battles: Kraken - Aqualord. Acolyte of Sigmar - high templar. Duelists - dark templar. Fleshounds - zergling & zergling 2. Dryad - blade queen. Elemental Master of Fire - archon. Executioners of Har Ganeth - Zealot. Giant Spider - Lurker. Hawk - Scourge. Wyvern - Mutalisk & Guardian. Norscan Warmammoth - Ultralisk. Beastman Archer - Hydralisk.
  8. Art for Jaffa Death Glider, Protoss Observer and Protoss Reaver came from VISA.
  9. Zerg Drone is the Android figure from C.Roland.
  10. Protoss Scout is the Naboo Fighter from WoodElf.
  11. Protsss Arbiter is the Orbital Stealth Bomber from HROCHland.
  12. I think I remember taking the Protoss Dragoon from Genetic Era mod.
  13. Protoss Probe, Terran Wraith, Terran Valkyrie and Zerg Defiler all came from Star Wars.
  14. Everything else (I think) is from the good folks at Firaxis, without whom there wouldn't be anything to mod!

Further Acknowledgments/Legalities
Starcraft is a trademark of Blizzard Entertainment. All associated marks, names, races, race insignia, characters, vehicles, locations, units, illustrations and images from the Starcraft world are either ®, ™ and/or © Copyright Blizzard Entertainment, 1998. Used without permission. No challenge to their status intended. All Rights Reserved to their respective owners. This Mod is completely unofficial and in no way endorsed by Blizzard Entertainment.

This mod does not use any images or content from the upcoming Starcraft 2. Fans of the Starcraft universe are encouraged to go check out http://www.starcraft2.com/ for the latest developments.

I am told that Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer holds the copyright to the Stargate SG-1 franchise. This Mod is completely unofficial and in no way endorsed by them. As with the disclaimer for Blizzard Entertainment, there is no wish to challenge anyone's intellectual property related to the Starcraft SG-1 universe.

FYI, the Stargate franchise is copyright Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer in case you wanted to acknowledge them. I'll certainly download this and test it out tomorrow. <3

wow.....

amazing, cant wait to get home from work to check this out!

does this includes unit new models also??

If you check the "Credits/Gratitude..." section, it talks about all the places I lifted the art from. None of it is original to this mod; all from other mods and community postings. Hey, building on each other's work is half of what civfanatics is about, right?

Some of the units could use some improvement though. Anyone want to take a stab at the Terran Ghost?

Eusebius

wow it sounds awesome
Could you post some screenshots?

Could you make mirror - i can't download anything from megaupload
Irecommend this one - it's really great:
http://www.mediafire.com/

You going todo a mod for BtS?

Very doubtful--don't need any of the BTS features.

I would love to hear some feeback on how it plays, though. The silence has been deafening! :confused:

E.

Not many people playing Warlords might be contributing to the deafness. Once I put it into the update maybe you'll get some hits.

I gonna give it a try .. it seems worthwile..
but I don't have much play time.. so maybe you won't hear news of me on this subject for a looong time.

Is this project stoped? Sad with this cool idea.

Hi Zuul,

The mod works; the link is active and the download is only 23 MB. Give it a try and let me know how it plays for you. My hope is that the four races are very balanced.

I'm rather proud of it, but time seems to have been my enemy. I started the mod overconfidently in Feb 2007, but didn't finish until September. BtS came out in the middle and apparently few people are willing to try cool Warlords mods. I don't need any of the new features from BtS so I am not planning to convert and I'm not planning on doing much more on this version until I get some sense that there is serious interest from the community.

Thanks for asking,
Eusebius

Been trying to download this from your link, but I've gotten a little lost. Any insight on what to do at the megaupload website?
thanks

ok, I figured that out but now I'm getting a python loading error

Remember that it needs to be in Warolds\Mods not over under "my games".

Mike

well I put it in this directory:
C:\Program Files\2K Games\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4 Gold\Warlords\Mods\BroodWar
and I tried it again under "my games" and both give me a "failed initializing python" error
my version # is 2.1.3

Top Bottom