[BTS] Basic Limited Religions (mod comp)

modifieda4

Chief Time Waster
Basic Limited Religions V1.3b by ModifiedA4 12/28/2011

"Civilizations can't found a new religion if they already control a Holy city. This eliminates the strategy of founding multiple religions to more easily acheive religious victory. Also increases number of religious factions in game."

1.3b latest release Download here
Converted mod to be BUG 4.4 Compatible

Requirements:
  • BTS 3.19
  • BUG 4.4 (installed as a standalone mod)
  • Gamecore DLL independant
see readme.txt for installation instructions.

Old revision details:
Spoiler :

**major bug fix**
Fixed Ai_choosereligion error
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=326860

Added choose religions option, code derived from:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=286027&page=2

thanks to bmarnz and the contributers to this thread:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=249392

and OrionVeteran for BUG compatibility help

Excellent mod, it works like a charm. I really like the idea of only one religion per civ. It was easy to install too, you seem to be using python files that no one else does so there's been no conflict at all yet.

Excellent mod, it works like a charm. I really like the idea of only one religion per civ. It was easy to install too, you seem to be using python files that no one else does so there's been no conflict at all yet.

the python files could also be used by other mods causing potential conflict, but the two sections of each file are very compact and easily ported over to any other mod. i use winmerge which makes porting easy.

I really like this idea, but the AI do not know how to use it??

It doesn't matter if they do or not. There's other reasons for them to research religious techs, not just founding a religion. If they happen to get there first after already founding a religion then it will be just like someone else had beat them to it. They'll still end up with their original religion so it's not like they're losing out. In my experience, the AI sucks at developing two religions. They'll only focus on one and the other one will hardly spread at all. So in a sense this mod levels things out. The human knows it's a good idea to spread both religions as much as possible for the extra gold they will bring.

BTW modifieda4, I ran into my first conflict. I'm now using World of Civilization and they also use the CvEventManager.py file, though not the other one. I haven't had a chance yet to try and merge them, maybe you could point out what to look for to make this mod work with it?

I really like this idea, but the AI do not know how to use it??
willem is right...also,

in my experience the AI has no issue with this mod. in fact, the AI games get much more interesting as many more factions are developed:

Spoiler :
In my experience in vanilla games the early religions spread first and spread quickly. later religions have a serious handicap and there is no one else to spread it to and most of the world will be against you. This effect is amplified because the early religion founders get religious bonuses and tend to be more advanced, so they are more likely to found a second religion as well. effectively blocking other players.

With limited religions an AI/Player on a separate continent who might be slightly off the tech pace can still found a religion of their own. They then spread it...and before long you have clusters of religion concentrations and factions. The AIs attack each other more readily, there are more wars and the games are more dynamic. Conversely I also find there are stronger allies, even of differing religions...(more of the enemy of my enemy is my friend type stuff going on)

BTW modifieda4, I ran into my first conflict. I'm now using World of Civilization and they also use the CvEventManager.py file, though not the other one. I haven't had a chance yet to try and merge them, maybe you could point out what to look for to make this mod work with it?

no problem, this mod comp is so small and has very few changes, it should be easy to merge it.

In this post I list the basic changes to the two files:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=7296990&postcount=284

And in this post I explain how the code works:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=7298131&postcount=285

:goodjob:

specifically for you:
there is only one routine that changes in CvEventManager.py , so find that routine, determine if its been modded itself.
if not, overwrite it with my version
if it has, then merged the non-common lines together using common sense :)

if you still have issues post up the code...

Well, here's what happend to me, i played 12 civs and i am well into the modern times right now and four of the 12 religions still have not even been founded, ie: Christianity, Islam, Canaanism, and Buddhism are not founded?? And the barbarians did found a religion, so thats not a problem. I am not saying anything is wrong , but any advise on how to get all the religions used, just incase, down the road, a person wanted to change ??

btw, i have incorporated this into my mod, thx.

Well, here's what happend to me, i played 12 civs and i am well into the modern times right now and four of the 12 religions still have not even been founded, ie: Christianity, Islam, Canaanism, and Buddhism are not founded?? And the barbarians did found a religion, so thats not a problem. I am not saying anything is wrong , but any advise on how to get all the religions used, just incase, down the road, a person wanted to change ??

btw, i have incorporated this into my mod, thx.

"Canaanism"? So I guess you're playing another mod which alters something to do with religions? Depending on what that mod changed, they may not be compatible. You could do a test yourself by jumping into the world builder, giving yourself a missionary of an unfounded religion and seeing if you found one.

no problem, this mod comp is so small and has very few changes, it should be easy to merge it.

That won't be an issue after all. I ran into problems with their GameFont file so I'll be switching back to the default game, and BUG. It seems DTXBmp doesn't like their version of the file so I can't do any editing of it. It works fine with the default file though.

good to hear!

Well no, I'm kind of disappointed actually. In fact very. I was working on an elaborate Corporations system and they have room in their GameFont file for 184 of them. With the default one, there's only room for 11 more. That seriously gimps my ideas. I can get away with it by having a single icon repesent a type of building but it would have been much better being able to have unique icons for all of them. Plus I had already done a lot of work on it and now I'll sort have to start over. Their system is quite a bit different than the default. Much better actually. Though I can copy/paste what I've done into the default files. It will take some work however.

I dunno why only in my mod Earth 35 civs this features works for half.

I can FOUND ONLY ONE RELIGION, BUT if I discover a religious technology, no other civs can found religions with that technology.

I mean i discover Meditation + Polyteism and get 1 religion (by meditation)
all other civs that discover Polyteism DON'T FOUND nothing cause I still discovered Polyteism!

Any Ideas?
:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Top Bottom