[BTS] Can I Fail Again Please?

waytofailself

Chieftain
So I used to post on these forums a little and lurked a lot during civ 3 and around when civ 4 was released. I enjoyed the game myself, but found myself getting sucked into other's stories far more often. Then the WoW train hit me for over 9000 and I forgot about Civ 4 until about a month ago.

I've finally gotten the hang of the game, and after crushing the opposition on lower difficulties it's time to 1) move myself up a notch and 2) give back to the community that has given me so much to dig into.

I'm not a super advanced player, but I'm going to try and play a very public game with the hope of getting feedback for how I'm playing and hopefully to entertain you all.

So thanks civ fanatics forums, and here goes.

Game: Can I Fail Again Please
Difficulty: Prince (yeah, I'm not quite there yet)
Leader: Someone with a creative trait. Have yet to play a game with a leader with one.

Next post: starting position and area!

It was the distant future, the year 4000 BC, and all was right in the world until I showed up.

Game Stats:

Difficulty: Prince
Empire: Ethiopia
World: Large sized continents with low sea level
Turns thus far: 25

Where I set my roots has a good number of resources nearby. Wheat, sheep, and ivory. Lots of rivers running through things too, so hopefully it should be easier to connect resources early. I decided to settle on where I started, especially when I get to start out on a hill. Start with farming to help develop the wheat.

Spoiler :

Scouting around gives me a lot of huts, a lot of which gives $ but one gives me a nice little bonus:

Spoiler :

That's one less thing to research later. After farm/worker I decide to immediately hit up bronze working to unlock any copper that might be out there. While continuing to scout around I bump into someone pleasant to the south:

Spoiler :

Hello Peter! Oooh, you have a warrior.

Sadly, once bronze working has passed I learned that there is no copper anywhere near me. But what I do know is the following:

Spoiler :

Working on another settler once the warrior is done, switched to the wheel but I can change that if you think circumstances warrant a different approach (I'd go animal husbandry next). Otherwise, the map has some advantages that may help my complete lack of copper.

The Good:
-- Lots of flood plains to the east. Good for food production.
-- Not one, not two, but THREE gold to the east.
-- A lot of rivers in the area to help connect my early towns
-- So far only one contact to the south, might not be as much to the east just yet but there's plenty of land for me to grab. Tundra to the north, so doubtful anyone is coming from there.

So that's the beginning. Who knows what's going to happen or if I'm about to face. Could be more people to the east, who knows if I'm on a big or little continent, but I'm not alone. No copper puts me at a disadvantage, but not something that can't be overcome.

Now I just need to think about where to expand first. I'm thinking towards the gold area with the flood plains, but to the south and on the coast to the west isn't bad either. Thoughts?

Top Bottom