BtS Mod Install Script

NikNaks I'm noticing a few users are using your Install Script instead of the ones in the OP. Which is fine, but yours hasn't been updated.

Could you change this:
Code:
;Run the uninstaller
uninst:
  ClearErrors
  Exec $INSTDIR\Mods\${MOD_LOC}\uninstall.exe

done:

FunctionEnd
To this:
Code:
;Run the uninstaller
uninst:
  ClearErrors
  [B]ExecWait '"$INSTDIR\Mods\${MOD_LOC}\Uninstall.exe" _?=$INSTDIR'[/B]

done:

FunctionEnd
This will make it so that the installer will wait for the uninstaller to finish. also you may consider adding this part of the icon scripting to it:
Code:
  !define ICON "${MYCLSDIR}\someicon.ico" ;place your icon in your mod folder change someicon to the icon's name
  [B]!define MUI_ICON "${ICON}"[/B]
This makes the Installer setup have the Mod's Icon instead of using the default Nullsoft installer icon.

Anyway those are the two main improvements in the scripts in the OP, but since your script comes later I think people believe it is a more recent version.

May I ask what this Code(r)writer's notepad is you mention in your instructions? Where can this be downloaded? Google doesn't know what you are talking about. Is this Notepad++ or something?

I think it's notepad++

To be honest I just googled "Code Text Editor" way back in the day, and downloaded and installed the first free thing I found, It said "CodeWriter's Notepad" I believe it's from Microsoft, so I think it's notepad++

Also any text editor that can be used to edit code will work for NSIS install scripts, it's just regular old notepad wouldn't work, it converted the scritps to .txt documents (which the Nullsoft Install Compiler doesn't understand), and had bizarre characters appear in the script when editing.

Complete installs a BtS regkey. This script works with complete.

CivIVMonger is an idiot. Witness his spamming of useless questions.

Well, I've never seen any reports of this script failing. Other then 1 from CivIVMonger. I suppose we could use someone to check this though. If there really is a RegKey change in complete, we could certainly add in a second check for the new RegKey, but we would need to know what the new RegKey is for complete.

Hmmm, well if this is true, the simplest way to get it fixed and included in the script update would be to ask the BUG guys how they have it set up. Will make a post over there.

You should probably update this script to say 3.19 is required. :D

And thanks again for the script - finally no more problems with people not knowing how to install the mod properly!

Well I just found out the icon scripting doesn't work correctly. It uses the icon that is defined from your computer's path, woops. This has been out a while, and I was just notified about this. I'll have the scripts updated in a few days with the icon scripting working (will use the install directory path, instead of the person that compiled the scripts path), and will set it up so that detection works without a BtS reg key, per the BUG install script code. It will take me a few days to do this though. But figured I'd let everyone know what was up, and also about the recently found bug in the script.

For the icon...where's the problem?
I've gone the stupid way: I replace the standard icon with the one i want to. Works perfect.

You think it does, and it does for anyone that has the same install path as you, but it breaks on machines that use a different path :crazyeye: Most people don't notice, or care, Keep in mind this script has been in use for a couple months now, and was just recently reported. I will get around to fixing this soon.

I'm still working on this:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=325642

Basically got it working, but I've ran into a snag with the Start Menu Shortcut refusing to unistall. If I can't get this fixed in the next couple of days, I'll just release an updated script without the Superior BUG install for the Start Menu Shortcut, and keep it the same as it functions now.

All the Install Scripts have been updated. This took so much work it's not even funny. The patch script has stayed the same, No need to change it, it worked great and still does. But there were errors in the old install scripts, particularly with icons that needed to be fixed.

Changelog:

• Fixed error in icon scripting code. The icon will now link properly with created shortcuts. In the old scripts they would only have linked right for users that had the same mod path as the person who compiled the script.
  • Added multiple registry search paths. The script will now succefully locate the proper install path for users with Complete and Gold. In fact only really bizzar install paths will be missed (there are now 4 independent checks). Like before in the rare instance the installer can't find the Civ4 registry, they can manually browse to it and set it.
  • Improved Start Menu Shortcut creation. If a user selects the option to create a start menu shortcut, they now are taken to a list of available Start Menu folders, so that they can put the shortcut where they want. Also the Start Menu will link the uninstaller.
  • Updated language in Script to say that BtS 3.19 is required, instead of 3.17.
  • Lots of comments and general cleaning up of the code so that it is easier to read for modders that use these scripts.

Actually I just ended up updating the patch script as well. Forgot I needed to add the aditional registry checks (mainly for complete and gold). Other then that the patch script is pretty much unchanged, as unlike the icon scripting installer, I didn't need to fix the icon scripting, or improve the start menus scripting, as both these are absent from the patching script anyway.

Top Bottom