BtS Mod Install Script

Haven't checked the whole thread for this, so sorry if I am asking something that has been asked before. I used to provide a 'white flag fix' for my mods. It's nothing else then an alternative version of the flag for the case the default flag appears white in the game (actually wellknown problem...). Now that I am starting to use your superb install script, I am wondering whether it is possible to have an installer for the fix as well. I mean, I could provide a second version of the mod with installer that contains the alternative flag, but this would be uncomfortable for both, me and the downloader as I have to spend more webspace and the user has to download the mod twice (if he has problems with the flag). Of course I could provide the flag as a separate file, but that's less comfortable then having an installer.
As the directory of the flag doesn't change, it could be independent from the main mods version. Also, it might be a good idea to 'hide' the patch. That means that it would be good to not have a separate uninstaller, but have it uninstalled with the mod (just for the case someone is that foolish to uninstall the mod ;)).

So, would somebody tell me please whether there already is a possibility for this or whether someone could set up another script?

You could use the optional add on script and set it up as an add on. Or am I not understanding what you want exactly?

Well, I am not sure whether the addon feature would work. From what I understand the addon would add additional files, right? But I'd like to replace a file (simply a dds file) of the main mod... Hmm... I might take a closer look at the addon thing.

The add on extracts it's contents to where it's told to install to, so it will copy over files, just like normal extracting does. The add ons are applied after the main install, so it'll copy over files in the main install; for example I have LoR set up so that the LSystem files are replaced by the add on LSystem files if the enhanced graphics add on is selected.

Cool. And is it possible to have the 'addon' installed later separately? I mean, only users that have problems with the default flag need and should update. To figure out whether they do, they have to give it a go first. If necessary they should be able to install the addon now, preferably without reinstalling the mod completely.

You could use the patch script for that.

Uh... sorry, totally missed that script. Thanks for your help!

One of the last responses in my thread:

Since a recent update Avira has decided that the Mars, Now files (and the Planetfall files as well) are mallware. I tried reporting a false positive report to Avira yesterday and got a response today:

==================================
Thank you for your email to Avira's virus lab.
Tracking number: INC00368612.
A listing of files alongside their results can be found below:
File ID Filename Size (Byte) Result
25451788 Mars__Now_v03_-_M..._L.exe 52.5 KB MALWARE

Please find a detailed report concerning each individual sample below:
Filename Result
Mars__Now_v03_-_M..._L.exe MALWARE

The file 'Mars__Now_v03_-_Mars__Jetzt_v03_-_Patch_L.exe' has been determined to be 'MALWARE'. Our analysts named the threat W32/Stanit. The term "W32/" denotes a file virus or malware that runs on 32 Bit Windows systems (Windows 95 and higher) only.Detection is added to our virus definition file (VDF) starting with version 6.31.00.202. Please note that Avira's proactive heuristic detection module AHeAD detected this threat up front without the latest VDF update as: HEUR/Malware.
===============================

Quite annoying, and I get the feeling they didn't exactly put much effort into actually checking the file before branding it "Malware"

Somehow interesting...
I guess, it's the combination of an executable, interaction with the OS, overwriting files, and scripts in it.

Just wanted to show that here, so that nobody is suprised, when somebody else reports that.

@phungus420: You mentioned that you like to try out the mods that use your installer scripts. You might then check the Magyar Mods latest beta. Check the mods thread, see last few posts there to find out how to download it. Sorry, it's a bit hidden, but it is only a beta yet... Now, I finished my advertisement :goodjob:

Only noticed this thread now, so I just want to say: nice one, phungus!:goodjob:

(Although I'm not sure I'll use it instead of the Auto-installer.) ;)

For those interested there is a significantly improved version of the script available in RevDCM and Better Bug AI mods, you can find the script in the RevDCM source code add on. The scripts are designed for mods that use the BUG mod though, as they are specifically designed to handle the UserSettings folder for BUG.

I noticed the last post in this thread was over a year ago. Are these still good scripts to use? Are there some better ones I should get instead? phungus mentioned better scripts in RevDCM and BBAI, but seemed to indicate they were for mods that use BUG and mine does not.

I tried out the "BtS Mod Install Script" but it had an error, so I just gave up and released my mod without an installer. I'll post the details of the error later. :badcomp:

Don't know what you'd define as "better", but the script here works pretty well, doesn't mostly cause any problems with the users, and it's easy to set up if you once figured it out.
You should definitely try to get it running, it's worth it :yup:.

Once I got it working I found it really useful. Making things as easy as possible for the end-user is a good objective IMO.

Hi...

Can someone help me?

I want to edit unit capabilities, how can I do this? You can't do this in world builder....

Particularly, I want to create a transport plane.

Any help is appreciated.

thanks

Top Bottom