BTS North Atlantic- 18 civs (124x51)

Dieter VonClam

Chieftain
This is a map of the North Atlantic... I created this map as I was not impressed with the N. Atlantic maps I have found. I started with a map of Europe/Mediterranean then added North America and the Caribbean. I boycotted new world civs in this map. Civ choices are; Greek, English, French, Roman, German, Russian, Spanish, Egyptian, Viking, Ottoman, Carthaginian, Dutch, Portuguese, Arabian, Byzantine, Celtic, HRE and Malinese.

Food and productive resources (copper, iron, coal and to a lesser extent, stone) are abundant in all regions with the exception of the Sahara. I placed aluminum and uranium sparingly. Oil is in realistic locations. Gold, gems, banana, and sugar are only in the Caribbean, with the exception of some Gold in Northern Africa.

There are 2 versions; 1.0 has each civ with 1 city and few barbarian cities in the old world, 1.1 has 2 cities for each civ and more barbarian cities to help with optimal/historical city placement. All civs start with no research advances.

Let me know any of your opinions or comments.

Version 1.0 :
http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=8895

Version 1.1 :
http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=8896

Some screenshots for V1.0

Attachments

• NWEurope.JPG
    NWEurope.JPG
    133.5 KB · Views: 1,203
  • EastEuro.JPG
    EastEuro.JPG
    159.8 KB · Views: 607
  • AegeanCres.JPG
    AegeanCres.JPG
    126.2 KB · Views: 527
  • IberiaAfrica.JPG
    IberiaAfrica.JPG
    117.1 KB · Views: 473
Screenshots for V1.1

Attachments

• AegeanCres.JPG
    AegeanCres.JPG
    113.7 KB · Views: 387
  • IberiaAfrica.JPG
    IberiaAfrica.JPG
    120.3 KB · Views: 328
  • WestEuro.JPG
    WestEuro.JPG
    153.9 KB · Views: 584
  • EastEuro.JPG
    EastEuro.JPG
    160.6 KB · Views: 361
Screenshots of the New World

Attachments

• MexCarib.JPG
    MexCarib.JPG
    99.8 KB · Views: 430
  • SouthAmer.JPG
    SouthAmer.JPG
    88.1 KB · Views: 448
  • NorthCarib.JPG
    NorthCarib.JPG
    126 KB · Views: 484
  • EastCoast.JPG
    EastCoast.JPG
    132.1 KB · Views: 631
Great map!

Not to be too picky, but the Iroqouis are in the wrong spot though. They were on the south side of the St. Lawrence River & Lake Ontario, basically the same territory as northern New York State.

http://www.silk.net/RelEd/graphics/Iroquois_5_Nation_Map_c1650.png

That might be a bit too close to where you have the Algonquin, but, the Algonquin were primarily centered in Quebec, so you could easily move them.

I was just trying to persuade the AI barbarians to put cities in places where I wouldnt want to raise them, and not use the random names generated...

If anyone else has tried the map.... perhaps there are too many resources? b/c the couple times I played it, the tech advances way faster than it would normally?

I really enjoy the fact that no civ has starting techs

Starting from a clean slate is a LOT of fun!

Well done Dieter!It was something different.The abundace of recources led to very interesting situations.

Good work.
One thing though... Athens should be on the east side of the Attica periphery, not the west.

Though it might get in the way of Constantinople big cross there.

Not sure if this is working as intended, but there is zero silk AFAIK on this map.

:( for no silk

Every happiness resource really counts. I've got fifty fish but zero silk. I might toss in some with worldbuilder to my enemies and then trade for it.

Silk is def. a requirement for the next version

I'm keenly aware of the lack of silk for real in Europe though; so if you're going for 100% accuracy to placement of resources, then, no silk is okay. Although it might serve as a good replacement for Tobacco which isn't present in America and which really made America a superpower

just tried your map, prefer v1.0 with 1 city on start... and failed on prince because of France in 1360 AD :p but map is really good! you might give some bonuses to ragnar albo maybe some barb city to England cause Dutch are taking big part of British Island. England and Viking are two weakest on this map. and you might take some resources from France, I think they always rule on this map.
any chance for version without workers on start?

I've edit your v1.0 map a bit, remove starting cities, give setler + warior/scout, and two starting techs. everything as in default games. All credits goes to map maker, the job I've done is nothing comparing to create whole map.

edit: new version with Catherine as russian leader

Attachments

• NA_mx.zip
    29.9 KB · Views: 114
Im playing this map atm, it is so great! I love it! Very good job mate.

Sorry guys, I havent checked the posts in a while....
I took some of your ideas into consideration when updating the map;
foremost I added silk in Southern NA in replacement of tobacco and cotton which were/are value commodities. I added some spices in various areas also. I added a few new barbarian cities; Cardiff and Dublin in the British Islands (neither in perfectly accurate locations), and Agadir on the West coast of Africa. I left Athens in the same spot as I feel it is optimal for allowing other city locations. I also removed workers as suggested which I feel will help slow the game initially and allow individuals to pick there own development path. For similar reasons I left the map without starting techs. Plus that allows everyone the potential to get the early religions, neither of which were founded historically in this region. Lastly, I made minor resource changes in Spain/Portugal, Sweden/Norway area and England to assist them, but not to France. It is legitimate that France has slight advantage, yet in my games they have rarely been the dominant power. The Vikings have ample resources too, and in some games have one of the better civs. Also, I originally made this map to play as England (also Spain, Portugal & France), and they have every possibility to do well (I did) so it all comes down to chance.

Hope you enjoy, let me know anymore insights

This is a map of the North Atlantic... I created this map as I was not impressed with the N. Atlantic maps I have found. I started with a map of Europe/Mediterranean then added North America and the Caribbean. I boycotted new world civs in this map. Civ choices are; Greek, English, French, Roman, German, Russian, Spanish, Egyptian, Viking, Ottoman, Carthaginian, Dutch, Portuguese, Arabian, Byzantine, Celtic, HRE and Malinese.

Food and productive resources (copper, iron, coal and to a lesser extent, stone) are abundant in all regions with the exception of the Sahara. I placed aluminum and uranium sparingly. Oil is in realistic locations. Gold, gems, banana, and sugar are only in the Caribbean, with the exception of some Gold in Northern Africa.

There are 2 versions; 1.0 has each civ with 1 city and few barbarian cities in the old world, 1.1 has 2 cities for each civ and more barbarian cities to help with optimal/historical city placement. All civs start with no research advances.

I made a few more minor changes to the suggestions; more info on an above post. Version 1.0 and 1.1 are as before; 2.0 has the Malinese and Ottomans removed (I prefer the Byzantines) and the Mayans and Native Americans added instead

Let me know any of your opinions or comments.

Attachments

• NA 1.0.zip
    38.7 KB · Views: 120
  • NA 1.1.zip
    39 KB · Views: 116
  • NA 2.0.zip
    39 KB · Views: 209
Top Bottom