[BTS] Writing in Gunpowder

Sure, go ahead. Actually I did think a little about it, but apart from maybe the Star of David I don't have any ideas, and since we are an Islamic theocracy that doesn't really seem fitting either.

Edit: Woah, wait a minute! Can I have a pony on my flag?

mmm... it'll be really strange to have a cartoon on a flag of medieval arabia, but if you want to use a more neutral depiction of a young horse I think it'll be ok.

And I don't think the star will be strange in our reality. Like the buddhists, the jews must probably have a place on our society. Sanguiv has conducted the caliphate to be really open-minded, and we are following his steps.

Also by that time in RL jews were more accepted on the Islamic world then on the Christian world anyway.

Hm, okay then, see if you can depict the Star of David somewhere.

Woah, I suddenly got an idea: Split in the middle, left side blue, right side red. A green regular star in the middle of the left half, on the right side a white Star of David below a green half moon.

Hm, okay then, see if you can depict the Star of David somewhere.

Woah, I suddenly got an idea: Split in the middle, left side blue, right side red. A green regular star in the middle of the left half, on the right side a white Star of David below a green half moon.

I don't think I can visualize that, could you do a sketch on paint? Then I may work it out on photoshop. As an example:

This was Noob's idea for his own flag:
Spoiler :

This is how we polished it to its final form:
Spoiler :

The blue half represents the Mediterranean, the red one the Levant, the star to the left my island possessions, the star of david and the half moon represent the jews and muslims living together in harmony. In fact maybe you could squeeze in a cross too.

Attachments

• alohaakbar.png
    alohaakbar.png
    16 KB · Views: 408
Using the crescent makes you related to DKVM and Constantinople, rather to the muslim community itself. Our holy symbol is the one you may see on the mid of the polished version of Noob's flag. You may use the crescent if you want, but then the symbolism will be tied to Constantinople rather then to the Ummah.

I'll start working on your flag as soon as I get the available time.

Using the crescent makes you related to DKVM and Constantinople, rather to the muslim community itself. Our holy symbol is the one you may see on the mid of the polished version of Noob's flag. You may use the crescent if you want, but then the symbolism will be tied to Constantinople rather then to the Ummah.

I'll start working on your flag as soon as I get the available time.

Okay then, replace the crescent with our holy symbol.

Here is my first attempt, tell me what you think about it, if something should change, what you like or dislike, and any addition, removal or substitution. Also if you want to move this discussion somewhere else (where you actually answer my posts, preferably :D) too.

Looks good, though I'd like a Christian cross added on the right side as well. Do any of my cities have Buddhism? If so that too.

None of your cities have christianity nor buddhism. Catholicism is actually a chinese religion which spread to west europe to a small extent. Orthodoxy has no seat and is spread in eastern europe (and to Ethiopia). We have none of these on the Caliphate, but we actually only have Buddhism because of the seat, as our UP removes foreign religions somehow.

Do you really think the cross should be added? And if so how will be the aspect of it? Divide the right field in 3 equal vertically oriented places? Or put Islam above, and the other 2 beside each other under it?

Here is my first attempt, tell me what you think about it, if something should change, what you like or dislike, and any addition, removal or substitution. Also if you want to move this discussion somewhere else (where you actually answer my posts, preferably :D) too.

This is a good design. Interesting combination of jewish and islamic symbolism.

Good points, I always forget in what ways exactly our game differs from real life. Forget the cross then.q

For the blue part of the flag, I suggest you add a boat and ripples of water below it, representing Sham's prowess on the seas with trade and naval ambitions.

Good suggestion, I like it. Move the green star up to make place for this Spirictum if you will.

Perhaps put the Arabic design in the center, above the rest, and bigger. Just to make sure it's exemplified.

I tried to find an icon ship similar to a dhow but my effort was useless. I only got a really small one and that doesn't help. If you guys happen to find something like that please post it here. I'll try to get time to come to CFC these carnival days but I can't promise anything. And I don't want to release my map project before adding this flag, which is almost complete, because then I would need to release a second version right after it just to contain this flag. So the project will wait.

Btw might I suggest that we move this discussion elsewhere? This thread is for a completely unrelated PBEM after all. You are welcome to comment about my story of course.

It should be on the majlis group honestly, when I first learned that this was being discussed here i couldn't understand why.

Trying to bring Knoedel's attention of course. He seems to be really fast in answering here, unlike everywhere related to the Caliphate :D

Top Bottom