to vanquish your enemies,
to chase them before you,
to rob them of their wealth,
to see those dear to them
bathed in tears, to clasp to
your bosom their wives and
daughters."

Genghis Khan

Born circa 1162 AD, Temujin, as he was then known, was arguably one of the greatest military leaders in history. Elected leader of his tribe at the age of 17, he united the Mongol tribes after a series of bloody campaigns.

The army became highly organised. They were divided into groups of tens, hundreds, thousands, and ten thousands. Each soldier carried his own food which usually consisted of powdered yak milk and dried milk and when food was scarce the soldiers would open up a vein of their horse to drink its blood.

Finally, in 1206 he was crowned "Khan of Khan's", and the following year he began his reign of terror by invading Northern China, killing 60 million Chinese.

"All who surrender will be spared;
whoever does not surrender but opposes with struggle and dissension,
shall be annihilated."

Genghis Khan

By the time he died in a riding accident in 1227, he had forged an Empire that stretched from China in the East to Poland in the West, and everywhere in between; it was the largest contigious Empire that the world has ever seen, and booty and slaves poured East unceasingly.

Much has been made of the numbers slaughtered but the truth is many cities were left alone as long as they capitulated and paid tribute.

Only those that resisted were put to the sword.

"With Heaven's aid I have conquered for you a huge empire.
But my life was too short to achieve the conquest of the world. That is left for you."

Genghis Khan, to his sons at the end of his life.

His dream was never fulfilled; his son's failed to add to the Empire and it fragmented between the three brothers. And although his grandson finally completed the conquest of China in 1279, it never again reached the heights that Ghengis Khan had taken it.

We are the new 'Sons of Ghengis Khan'; the team that 'Raged against the Machine' - joined by 'CivActuary' - will this time 'Rage against the World'.

And we will do it the Mongol way:

Rules:

DG level, Conquest victory only.

We will never spend a single gold piece on research; the Mongols were warriors not scholars, and Temujin took the technology that he needed from the vanquished - we shall do likewise.

Such technology that we cannot trade for, or steal, we shall take at the point of a sword.

That will be the only rule until we build our fifth city; the building of five cities is to symbolize the uniting of the tribes.

Once the fifth city is founded, the following rules apply:

We must always be at war with someone; this must be a meaningful war, not a phoney war against some far off regime.

Once at war, we will never pay tribute for peace. ever.

We will refuse all demands.

If a Mongol city is destroyed, the offending civ must be destroyed; we will not rest until every last city is razed, and all citizens dead or wearing chains.

Only our first five cities may build a worker, one each; once war begins we will become a slave economy.

Team:

Buce
Phaedo
NortonII
Elephantium
CivActuary

If you guys wanna check in, I'll roll some starts tonight.

lurker's comment:
I was confused on the game rules. :confused:

Is this a Five City Civ game?
It doesn't seem that it would take that long to build five cities, so the first set of game rules would not be effect for very long. Which seems sorta strange. So I must have overlooked something, but what?

A slave economy. Now, that sounds like fun. Makes the early worker moves so much more important because there are so few of them.

Wish I had the time to join and play, so I'll just lurk and dream. :( :cry:

(Looks like several good warmongering SGs are in the works and what do I do? Start a Culture based SG! :crazyeye: )

While we are waiting to get started, it would be a good idea if we could all give some thought to strategy.

I think it goes without saying that our military tactics need to be razor sharp, but I see three other areas of critical importance.

1) Diplomacy: GK was an accomplished diplomat, and if we are to succeed then so too must we be - with the rules that we are to play under, avoiding an AW dogpile could be difficult.

Our rep will be even more important than usual; I suspect alliances and ROP's will play a big part in this game so it's not just our trade rep at stake. It is essential that every trade, every alliance is scrutinized before making it.

We must always assess the risk factor first; we must bear in mind who our next victim will be, and in what time frame will we be going to war, then see what effect that war would have on trade routes.

With this in mind, we should probably make our strategic plans for a rolling 25 turns ahead so the active player will have some guidelines to follow without necessarily pausing.

2) Espionage: The Mongols made great use of spies to give military intelligence, and I think this can be another key area for us in some of the more under-used spy missions, notably 'Investigate City', and 'Steal Plans'; knowing where our enemies troops are, or knowing a garrison's strength the turn that we attack would be priceless.

3) Trading: Realistically, we are seldom likely to have only the one enemy so we are going to have to be particularly creative in the trading department; I anticipate that pointy stick research will see us come out of the AA pretty easily, but after that the AI is meaner with it's 'techs for peace' program, so knowing which techs a given Civ has should come in to the thinking when we choose a victim.

Securing resources will help in having a strong trading hand, so again, the position of such should be a factor to consider when expanding with the sword.

Guy's, this one is going to really require a focused approach; you are all good participatory players so let's have a lot of talking going on between sets.

When playing, any doubts that come up, pause the game for discussion - you know my style - I'd rather see it played slowly, than badly.

lurker's comment:
I was confused on the game rules. :confused:

Is this a Five City Civ game?
It doesn't seem that it would take that long to build five cities, so the first set of game rules would not be effect for very long. Which seems sorta strange. So I must have overlooked something, but what?]
lurker's comment:

I probably explained it badly;

The first rule mentioned (zero science) is applicable from the very first turn, and will remain so.

The other rules come in to effect as our fifth city is built (I chose 5 as symbolising the five main tribes that came together to become the 'Mongol Nation').

All rules are in force from that moment on, for the rest of the game; there is nothing to prevent us building more cities, only workers are limited to 5.

Checking in.

All rules are in force from that moment on, for the rest of the game; there is nothing to prevent us building more cities, only workers are limited to 5.
Question on this though
Only our first five cities may build a worker, one each; once war begins we will become a slave economy.
Since we start with a worker, does that mean we are limited to 6 native workers (the first five citites may then build one each), or are you intending that the first five citites may each support a workerso the cap is 5 natives?

I hadn't considered that; I intended that there should only be five workers, so consider our starting worker as having been built by the capital.

I'll be posting the save in a while.

The save

Spoiler :

So, just to be clear, does that mean we can build another 4 workers in one city, or can each city only build one worker with the Cap's worker already built?

Sorry to nit pick. Legalism is just a family trait. Not necessarily an attractive one, but one I live with. :)

So, just to be clear, does that mean we can build another 4 workers in one city, or can each city only build one worker with the Cap's worker already built?

Sorry to nit pick. Legalism is just a family trait. Not necessarily an attractive one, but one I live with. :)

A pox on lawyers!

Let's be anal about it - one per city.

Ah, the Shakespeare indictment of "death to all lawyers" is so much more appropriate and very Mongolian don't you think ;)

Questions:

Where to settle?

What is to be our build order in these first turns?

Any thoughts yet on strategy?

I will probably want to play this over the weekend so let's get a few ideas out there.

And for roster purposes, in what order do the US contingent see sunrise?

Where to settle: don't know yet. Let's move the scout onto the mountain and the worker to the BG 1E of our start and see what that reveals. If we find something interesting, like a cow, we should move to get it in our capital's radius. If not, might as well settle in place.

Build order: another scout, then a granary if we're in a good settler pump location--an archer and a settler otherwise. BTW, what barb setting are we using?

CA and I are in the same time zone (GMT-5); Tusker's an hour behind, I think.

I would send the scout to the mountain first off, to see what he sees, but if all he sees is more of the same, I think settling in place would be ok, it does not look like we are on a BG.

Do we want to expand quickly (ie build a granary somewhere)? In other words, once we have 5 citites we have to go to war, so do we want to hurry to get that 5th city?

We will need a rax rather early IMO - and it is cheap too! - to get some vet archers for that first war.

What is the barb setting, btw?

I know we are defiant, but are we defiant to the point of issuing a boot order to any trespassers every turn?

I'm US - Eastern Time Zone, by the way.

I agree with the above. Move the Scout first, then the worker. I think settling in place will be the best call. As we are northerly, and we'll be in early war, we might want to stay on this side of the river. I'll have to think about the build order but Norton's plan seems pretty good.

Given the rules, we need to declare war when we plant our 5th city so we have to be ready for war before that happens. We might be able to plant that 5th city in enemy territory if we are crowded. We definitely need to get an army up and running ASAP. We can of course delay the 5th city until we are ready for war and we need to see who else is around us. As it is alternating war and not AW, the more contacts we have the more options we have. Beyond that, it's hard to plan without knowing what we have.

Top Bottom