BUFFY tabs?

GKey

Emperor
Are there suppose to be additional tabs in game Options menu, when you play with BUFFY mod? Not in BUG menu (Alt-Ctrl-O) but in game options? If yes can anyone provide the screeny? I ask, because I don't see such tab, while I run BUFFY with no problems (almost).

Are there suppose to be additional tabs in game Options menu, when you play with BUFFY mod? Not in BUG menu (Alt-Ctrl-O) but in game options? If yes can anyone provide the screeny? I ask, because I don't see such tab, while I run BUFFY with no problems (almost).

No. The HOF mods for vanilla and warlords have additional tabs in the regular options menu to optionally select additional features for UI and stuff. But BUG serves that purpose with BUFFY (BTS HOF mod).

OK, thank you Tachywaxon and Lymond. I just have seen few mentions of HoF tabs in regular options menu and was wondering if I have my BUFFY installed correctly. The screeny of yours, Tachy, is BUG menu (Alt-Ctrl-O), as I understand it replaces HoF tab in previous regular options menu since HoF and BUG are merged now.

What is exotic adviser in BUFFY though? This one I've see few times recently too. Is it something from previous versions?

What is exotic adviser in BUFFY though? This one I've see few times recently too. Is it something from previous versions?

I'm not sure of the history of the HOF mods. In vanilla and warlords, the HOF mod does provide some additional UI/advisor features, but I'm not sure if that was some predecessor to the BUG mod or not. In fact, I could not play vanilla or warlords without the HOF mod, although I only ever play them for GOTMs so it is required anyway.

The exotic advisor is just a BUG feature that allows for nicer and more informative advisor screens, and some additional tabs. I definitely have that feature turned on.

Thanks again, Lymond. You seem to be quite an expert. May be you know why when I double click a BTS save, game starts, but save does not load, so I need to load it manually. Could it be because of Steam version of BTS?

Ha...you know it's funny you mentioned that as the same thing happened to me just this week.. It actually happened before on a new install some time ago but I can't recall exactly what I did to fix it and it is still an issue for me.

The story is this...just recently, Gamefly finally picked up Warlords (I've had both disk and DD versions for some time, but not DD Warlords). I had Warlords on an older machine but wanted it on my new hotrod (for WOTMs), which uses the DD version of Vanilla/BTS. So I buy Warlords and uninstall/reinstall with Warlords.

Odd thing..and it pissed me off...is that even though I have the individual copies of each version from Gamefly, it installs as the "Complete" version (fully patched). This screwed me up more than just the double-click save issue. The Gamefly version installs in a completely new folder "2K Games" vs. the "Firaxis" folder I'm used too. And the "user" folders are called "......Complete". So I had to move all my saves, mods, and tools over to new folders, which was a beeooottch. For one, I had to go in and edit the code in my tools.

So anyway, I think the double-click issue is a "registry" issue. I believe my uninstall of the prior install, which was the Direct2Drive version (Gamefly bought them out), left remnants of the old install in the registry or the new version simply to did quite install correctly because of the same issue, even though it basically works. Something is conflicting as a result

My saves open on double-click for Vanilla, but not Warlords and BTS, which is interesting. I haven't figured it out, but what I'll probably do is another uninstall/reinstall and clean all remnants of Civ IV in the registry before reinstalling. And delete all the old folders everywhere.

I suggest you do the same. I believe the first time it happened to me, which was simply a reinstall of my disk version, plus DD BTS on another machine, it was just a bad install. I did something out of order.

(are you using BUFFY for GOTM or HOF?)

(are you using BUFFY for GOTM or HOF?)

Well, I was thinking to participate in that JMinor or whatever it's name with fastest conquest.

If you have double click working for Vanilla you can do as follows:

Within any explorer window click Tools --> Folder Options

In Folder Option menu go to File Types tab and locate "Civ4SaveGame"

I don't have Vanilla, so here is screeny how it looks for BTS:

Click Advanced button and watch what action is taken with file:

In my case it's "Open", as you can see. In your case if Vanilla actually opens the save, it might be "Open + some parameter"

Share results please :). Good luck.

BTW it's for XP. Hope it will work for you.

ha...yeah...I noticed XP it once...it's been a looong time...

I'll try that. I did have to do the "Open With" thing with the old saves.

I don't think you will see action taken in "Open with" menu. regardless of Windows version there should be something similar to File types menu.

Explorer looks very different in 7. That option does not exist. Probably located somewhere else with a new feature. I'm looking in Control Panel for a comparable item.

You will like HOF games. Gives you a lot of incentive to play and complete games.

Yep, registered file types are located under Default Programs in the Control panel, but it does not have those options at all. Just allows you to associate with a default program.

Honestly, I don't think that is the issue anyway. I'm pretty sure I resolved this before a while ago and I think I just did a clean reinstall.

As for HOF games: why do they make it so complicated?

Just look at the post opening G-Major 112 Thread!

Why put this

(*) Please read the >> HOF rules << BEFORE playing!

HOF rules are not hard to understand, put them right there! And provide direct link to BUFFY right there.

They want make it look more official? OK they got it official and I am sure, many users visit this thread, try to follow all these links and locate needed stuff and just give up and go back to their usual civ games.

Yeah, I'm probably not gonna mess with that. I don' think that's the issue anyway.

By the way, how do you not have vanilla? You can't play BTS without it. BTS is not stand-alone. If you have Steam, vanilla is probably installed but you just don't use it. If not for some reason, that may be your problem anyway....ha. Do you have the complete version? You might try loading up vanilla one time to see if it fixes it.

That's a good question btw, I just don't have Vanilla installed. I don't even have a folder for it in Steam on hard disk.

And it's not installed in Steam either. Are you sure Vanilla required for BTS? It was Civ4 Complete edition I think.

As for HOF games: why do they make it so complicated?

Just look at the post opening G-Major 112 Thread!

Why put this

(*) Please read the >> HOF rules << BEFORE playing!

HOF rules are not hard to understand, put them right there! And provide direct link to BUFFY right there.

They want make it look more official? OK they got it official and I am sure, many users visit this thread, try to follow all these links and locate needed stuff and just give up and go back to their usual civ games.

Hmm...I'm not sure I follow. The HOF site has been around for a long time. Those are a static set of rules that you can always refer back to when needed. I have the HOF site bookmarked. The rules and stuff would be far to big anyway to post in every HOF thread. (HOF is a separate database and server)

Granted, I've been doing it for a couple of years at least, so it's all second nature to me now. Maybe it is intimidating at first, but it is quite easy after only a few minutes of perusing the HOF page. The page is pretty easy to navigate.

I will say this though, they could make a couple of things stand out more for new users like registration. I'l mention that to Oz.

That's a good question btw, I just don't have Vanilla installed. I don't even have a folder for it in Steam on hard disk.

And it's not installed in Steam either. Are you sure Vanilla required for BTS? It was Civ4 Complete edition I think.

I'm not familiar with the Complete edition or Steam version. It's odd that you have two copies of each. Did you simply buy two copies or get a free one of some promo...Steam does that sometimes?

The core engine is Vanilla and that must be installed, so the Steam version must at least install that or maybe the Complete version does that. I know there are a couple of vanilla config items that impact BTS as well like voice thing.

Not sure if Steam is the issue or not since you have to have it open to play. Still, your issue sounds similar to mine. I've almost always loaded up Civ via save games and never had a problem until more recently after a couple of new installs. Sometimes the uninstall process does not go right.

At a minimum, you can try uninstalling BTS via steam and then install Vanilla and BTS in that order. (Warlords won't impact anything). All your saves and config will be saved unless you choose not to keep them. Although you might try a complete uninstall if you don't have too much to lose. You can always copy some stuff over to a new folder temporarily.

Well, the current issue with HoF - not too many users, right? Making it newbies friendly would help.

Imagine you visiting HoF for a first time. Try to browse through all these rules, find needed version of HoF mod without using your previous knowledge. I'd say it's not so easy and just scares newcomers off.

In say nobles club we see new users all the time. Imagine if these series would look like HoF ones? We would not see new faces at all there. That's IMO of cause.

Yes it's weird why I do have 2 copies of each there, only one is installable/playable though. I don't care while it works. :)

My BTS folder in steam is located inside "\sid meier's civilization iv beyond the sword" folder, which might contain required files you talking about. But there is no any executable files, so I can not lunch Vanilla. I need to install it first, but then there is no Uninstall option in Steam, there is Delete local files instead, not sure if I want to bother with it.

Top Bottom