Bug Reports and Technical Issues

Hullo, first check-in since 2006 it would seem!

I downloaded the latest 1.41(.1) to get rid of the CTDs, removed the old Dawn folder (uninstalled via windows system stuff), installed the newly downloaded stuff, and this problem turned up: when loading the mod (or launching the game with a mod= extension in a shortcut), the application won't start. Instead, a memory-intensive "svchost" on behalf of a generic windows user (not the active account) keeps running, Civ4BtS remaining on low memory usage, without actually firing up the splash box thingy.

Running 32 bit system here (Windows 7 starter). Was there something I changed in the last DoC install that I'll have to change again to make it run on 32 bit? Also, does this still require a patch? Might VD be the issue?

Nice mod, btw, good attention to the players, too! ;)

Welcome back, that's a long time.

I'm pretty sure that's not because of a recent change, it's a common problem that memory intensive mods have with Windows. The problem are usually competing processes running next to Civ4. The best thing to do here is to right click the Civ4BeyondSword.exe process and increase its priority (e.g. very high).

More information on svchost.exe here. You can also try to complete terminate those tasks if they're doing nothing important.

Yeah, this never happened before with DoC, although I haven't downloaded a patch in a month or so. Also, this svchost isn't usually running at ~50%, and here's what's funny. When I kill it, my explorer windows change their style in a funny way, so it seems to be a process governing some graphics stuff. Is this possibly connected to loading a big mod?

I've tried prioritizing Civ4BtS before, nothing happens. May it be because of the new graphics packing, away from FPK? Or maybe it has to do with Varietas? If no ideas come up I'll uninstall DoC and reinstall without VD.

The removal of FPKs may definitely have something to do with this ... their advantage is that they make the mod faster to load at the cost of higher overall memory consumption.

Varietas Delectat adds a lot of memory requirements on top of the base mod - so yes trying without it could increase your chances of success.

Possible bug with UHV achived with a tech descovered by a GP.

I describe.
I was playing a game with Babilonian.
Code of Law in research, few turns to complete it and win the game.
A Great Merchant was born in Babilon City.
I used it to discover CoL and win the game, :king: but...

...a message with UHV victory showed below the screen, but not the pop-up. :eek:

ESC key did not work. :(
End turn buttono did not work. :cry:
Enter key did not work. :mad:

I had to click on the menu icon to get main menu, save game and exit to desktop.
When i reloaded the game, pop-up window appeared and i could see the conclusion and hall of fame. :crazyeye:

Not sure what to do about this. I'd ask you for a save but from your description it sounds like the error would not appear if I were to open it.

Not sure what to do about this. I'd ask you for a save but from your description it sounds like the error would not appear if I were to open it.

Well, i have a savegame of 3 turns before.
I tryed to reload it and reply but i was not able to get another Great Merchant (it had a 10% probability).

I can send it to you if you want to try.

Sure, it's worth a try.

I don't think that will help me debug this.

Two bugs:

One is actually pretty old, but I thought it was fixed, but apparently it's back, or I just imagined it being fixed? Anyway, during autoplay in the 600AD (Spain) and 1700AD (America) scenarios (didn't test 3000BC) the Dawn of Man popup doesn't appear until the very end.

Another unrelated interface bug I noticed when implementing ranged strikes in my modmod and which in the main mod only affects the Mobile SAM unit is that if a unit has air range (that is any air unit plus SAM infantry and Mobile SAM) the Civilopedia ignores its actual movement speed and just displays its range instead, misleadingly next to the foot icon that indicates movement for all other units. This doesn't matter for air units because they don't move like other units or SAM Infantry which happens to have the same movement speed as air range (1) anyway, however for Mobile SAM this might mislead players into believing it only has a movement of 1 instead of the 2 it actually has.

I don't think the bug with the dawn of man screen has ever been addressed, it just appears somewhat inconsistently. But I will look at it when I redo the rise and fall module.

The thing with movement speed and air range is interesting, I didn't know about that. Noted.

After uninstalling and reinstalling again, this time without Varietas Delectat, the game fires up just fine. I'm pretty sure this was the same a few months back when I installed the mod for the first time.

Does VD actully work on any kind of 32 bit system? Does it ever work? ;)

Speaking of graphics extensions, is it usual that unique units in resting position would adopt the sprite of their non-unique counterpart? That a Qizilbash from some angles would look like a pink cobold (no sprite)? Or does this only happen with a totally reduced graphics level?

New bug playing Polynesia, similar to what was explained above: upon founding the winning city, in this case on the Marquesas, UHV is called but the game stops reacting. No end turn function , no unit movement, even the founding settler remains visible on top of the newly founded city.

After uninstalling and reinstalling again, this time without Varietas Delectat, the game fires up just fine. I'm pretty sure this was the same a few months back when I installed the mod for the first time.

Does VD actully work on any kind of 32 bit system? Does it ever work? ;)

Speaking of graphics extensions, is it usual that unique units in resting position would adopt the sprite of their non-unique counterpart? That a Qizilbash from some angles would look like a pink cobold (no sprite)? Or does this only happen with a totally reduced graphics level?
VD works but it's somewhat chance dependant :)

And yeah, that effect comes from low graphics settings. Most art creators do not create files that are compatible with the lowest setting anymore.

New bug playing Polynesia, similar to what was explained above: upon founding the winning city, in this case on the Marquesas, UHV is called but the game stops reacting. No end turn function , no unit movement, even the founding settler remains visible on top of the newly founded city.
Do you also have a save from before you won?

Top Bottom