C2C - Units

@Sparth:

I have committed the Jade Axeman so he's ready for your button. Thanks!

Btw, did you know those shields on the corner of the unique unit buttons are 'bleeding' out beyond the frame? I don't like to complain because they do look very good on the pedia, but I'm afraid it looks kind of tatty in the city screen and on the map...

Btw, did you know those shields on the corner of the unique unit buttons are 'bleeding' out beyond the frame? I don't like to complain because they do look very good on the
pedia, but I'm afraid it looks kind of tatty in the city screen and on the map...

Yes I know. Only for some of these units (vehicles, mounted, ships) because background flag looks bad for them.

Just wondering aloud if the Elephant Rider is not too strong. Playing a (great) game but my elephant army has been dominant from the end of the prehistoric era until now ( approaching end of classical period).

They can still trample through any enemy city without a scratch

Any opinions?

Just wondering aloud if the Elephant Rider is not too strong. Playing a (great) game but my elephant army has been dominant from the end of the prehistoric era until now ( approaching end of classical period).

They can still trample through any enemy city without a scratch

Any opinions?

There are counters. Such as spearmen, other large megafauna, and just advancing to metal era techs. If you get the sweet spot in time or them they can be VERY powerful. However their power diminishes over time until they get upgraded again.

I think part of the problem with the impression there is that spearmen aren't being built as city defenders according to a recent readout (if I'm wrong and they've begun to then throw out this comment.) I don't think elephants are toooo powerful (yes they are very powerful) if spears are appropriately used to counter them. If the AI is insufficient in this regard you'll stomp over everything.

AI doesn't build them, but another part of the problem might be that some combat bonuses do not really work well atm, as I reported (I know TB promised a research, I just wanted to show it).
Here is a simple example of Spearman against a Mounted unit, Bandit rider. The 50% bonus against mounted is missing in the real calculation (STR 6 against 10.2) there, I am surprised no one else has reported it yet. It is not just a presentational bug, combat log is the same.

Anyway, if one feels he is too strong against a poor AI, he can adjust the settings (Some things like Surround and Destroy or Great Commanders help the human player a lot when conquering cities). And I guess TB's educational fixes might stop my game at Deity/Nightmare :lol:

Attachments

• spearman_vs_bandit_rider.JPG
    spearman_vs_bandit_rider.JPG
    326.2 KB · Views: 124
  • combat_log.jpg
    combat_log.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 112
AI doesn't build them, but another part of the problem might be that some combat bonuses do not really work well atm, as I reported (I know TB promised a research, I just wanted to show it).
Here is a simple example of Spearman against a Mounted unit, Bandit rider. The 50% bonus against mounted is missing in the real calculation (STR 6 against 10.2) there, I am surprised no one else has reported it yet. It is not just a presentational bug, combat log is the same.

Anyway, if one feels he is too strong against a poor AI, he can adjust the settings (Some things like Surround and Destroy or Great Commanders help the human player a lot when conquering cities). And I guess TB's educational fixes might stop my game at Deity/Nightmare :lol:

Now that you gave the whole screenshot I could do the calculation and follow the problem as you showed it. Is there any chance you have a save that can match that screenshot? I might not need it but you're right from what I can see as well.

EDIT: Scratch the request for a savegame. I strongly believe I found the problem and it was a very simple fix. Will update the SVN with a new dll within the hour. This begs for further analysis of other areas but if you find any more please share them with the full screen shot. Being able to see the base stats on the unit that was attacking was critical there.

So check it out... the problem was extremely severe. It was making all attackers get their anti-combat class combat modifiers if THEY possessed the combat class (not if the defender was.) This would not only mean we get the situation shown but we'd also have attacking axemen ALWAYS getting their 25% combat modifier vs melee since THEY are melee, no matter what they were attacking! I've no idea when this error was introduced but I can only imagine its been with us for a very long time.

Don't think I have encountered a single spearman yet. All archers, even now the Composite Bowman are no match

So check it out... the problem was extremely severe. It was making all attackers get their anti-combat class combat modifiers if THEY possessed the combat class (not if the defender was.) This would not only mean we get the situation shown but we'd also have attacking axemen ALWAYS getting their 25% combat modifier vs melee since THEY are melee, no matter what they were attacking!

Yeah, thats what I thought in that post (with screenshots) http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=13571543&postcount=488
I gave all my melee units bonuses against melee :).
Thanks for the fix, quick check confirmed its OK (I will check the combat calculations further).

Could someone please explain the Size Up promotions to me? Do I need to hit certain technologies to make anything larger than parties?

I presume you mean Quality Up promotions. They have prerequisite levels that get harder to reach the higher the unit's current quality. Once taken, they will increase the power of the unit by 33% (just as if merged) and will open up an improved set of Strength Up promotions (each time the quality changes you may notice you need to reselect these because they are all entirely predicated on the quality of the unit.) They are extraordinarily powerful for promos but come with 2 nasty side effects:
1) They strip the unit of all experience points towards the next level (which is why you may notice you can only select them when you don't have any further promotions to select aside from the one you're selecting... this is to keep you from losing the benefit of those promo selections by killing your exp early (such as would be the case if you selected one right once the unit has been trained for example.)

2) Higher quality also means less EXP is earned - there's a specific penalty with each level (it's easier to learn if you're green.)

Yes, btw, each ERA introduces a newly expanded capacity to merge another layer of group volume. It also allows deeper splitting of units but of course it will never allow a unit to split less than solo.

How does the Merge and Split actions work, exactly? I have merged 6 macemen into 2 better macemen, but when I tried to do it for the next batch of 3 macemen, it did not work. Is there an upper limit to the number of merged units of the same type, because I was able to merge Atlatlists after that fail with the macemen? If there is a limit, can that number be made higher?

Why don't log rams have like a 50% chance to escape from combat aftre having attacked a city? The unit seems pointless now, as it is dead after attacking and have only a 10% chance of reducing the defence by 1% each?

Also, I have found one of my neighbors having 29 41 log rams stacked inside his city. Maybe that is because the AI calculates that you need A LOT of log rams to do anything useful?

EDIT: I moved a small stack near the city with all those log rams. I was thinking this would be a looong siege, with me killing off one unit at a time, slowly gaining xp and captives. But, to my surprise, the AI moved more than 40 units out of the city, allowing me to attack and capture the city on my next turn. As this was the only city of that civilization, all those units dissapeared...

Also, a few turns later, another AI attacked my newly conquered city. Some of my units had not even had time to heal up. The city was not on a hill, there was no river between the attackers and the city, and I defended with 4-5 combat units (merged atlatls and mace men with combat and city raider promitons and around 10 xp each) against 20+ units, again mostly log rams, but a few were merged. Only one or two of my units died in the AI attack, that obliterated the attacking army. Something doesn't add up here, me thinks. The city should have been taken...

Why don't log rams have like a 50% chance to escape from combat aftre having attacked a city? The unit seems pointless now, as it is dead after attacking and have only a 10% chance of reducing the defence by 1% each?
1) Historically ram teams would not survive the attack.

2) If their withdrawal was made any earlier they may enter into a scenario where they cannot do enough damage to the walls simply because the opponent is too injured which is extremely counterintuitive, however, this is due to the withdrawal mechanism they are using being based on the same method as other siege weapons - it's not a chance but rather is automatic and based on how damaged the enemy gets. If we made it a 'chance' then we are imagining that at a point they give up and drag their ram back after they feel they are about to die which simply did not ever happen. The current method is far more like they've done all they can do and now more may join them in the effort. Otherwise, without reaching that point, they are killed first (which again, historically, often would happen.)

3) Promotions can vastly enhance both the chances and the defense reduction.

4) That chance and the damage if successful actually takes place each round of battle rather than once per battle. There can be up to 10 rounds during each battle or so and if the rams are roughly equivalent in power to their foe it can be much more extended. Once they get much more power than the defender the battle can end a bit frustratingly prematurely and if they are up against impossible odds they may die a little too fast to have too much impact. The trick is to use your distance attackers to wear down the defenders somewhat to give the rams the most time to fight. (Watch your combat log to see a round by round report so you can see what kind of round counts you're getting in different combat scenarios.)

Ultimately what this means is that rams, with a fair degree of promotions (most of which they get from proper training preparations made in the city from which they are trained in) rams can be absolutely devastating. It's just strategically tricky to find the sweet spots which means they are adding a layer of strategy never before seen in Civ franchises. If you find them frustrating to use, just remember how frustrated you may have been learning how to invade a city coming from CivIII experiences into CivIV (where siege does actually now matter.) It's just a second learning curve.

Also, I have found one of my neighbors having 29 41 log rams stacked inside his city. Maybe that is because the AI calculates that you need A LOT of log rams to do anything useful?
Interesting... while this may seem like a big problem for the AI, it's actually a statement of feedback that represents a major recent victory. I've been pushing and pushing to get them to build more than one of them and finally I've found the trick... at this point I need to now back off of some of the previous efforts made to get them to value rams more so that their attack stacks start becoming a bit more reasonable. So this is a major step forward to hear this! :D

EDIT: I moved a small stack near the city with all those log rams. I was thinking this would be a looong siege, with me killing off one unit at a time, slowly gaining xp and captives. But, to my surprise, the AI moved more than 40 units out of the city, allowing me to attack and capture the city on my next turn. As this was the only city of that civilization, all those units dissapeared...
Not the first time this has happened - fixing it is going to be a little tricky. A while back we instructed the AI on a devastating strategy to destroy incoming attack stacks. Unfortunately they don't yet realize they need to NOT use this strategy when it's their LAST CITY! Once I figure out where Koshling implemented this strategy I can probably quite easily tweak it to correct that flaw.

I don't want to say much more on this... perhaps you can guess what they were TRYING to do.

Also, a few turns later, another AI attacked my newly conquered city. Some of my units had not even had time to heal up. The city was not on a hill, there was no river between the attackers and the city, and I defended with 4-5 combat units (merged atlatls and mace men with combat and city raider promitons and around 10 xp each) against 20+ units, again mostly log rams, but a few were merged. Only one or two of my units died in the AI attack, that obliterated the attacking army. Something doesn't add up here, me thinks. The city should have been taken...
Some improvements to size matters stack building is known to be an issue to soon focus in more on. Sounds like what happened was they had a lot of units and thus many had merged but once those merged units had achieved some wins all that was left was all the ones that split after the merge so they had split units in there too that didn't have nearly as much capacity to deliver the pain. At the moment, the SM AI is extremely rudimentary, just enough to keep a player on his toes and to be generically proactive against a variety of potential player strategies with splitting and merging. Some more reading the situation and reacting to it appropriately is yet to be developed.

The trick is to use your distance attackers to wear down the defenders somewhat to give the rams the most time to fight.
The first problem with this is when Rams first are available there are no ranged attackers really. Not until Archery and Archers do we have Ranged attackers as well. Between that and Masonry (where City Walls and Minimum Defense suddenly stops Ranged Attacks against a bunch of cities) is then the only time you can use Rams to any effect, not strategically finding a sweet spot but at only a certain point in history.

The second problem is that if you are able to shoot and injure your opponent enough in their fortifications then you can also attack with your city attackers, making Rams rather only meaningful if you for some reason ave not been able to get any good city attackers.
Of course I can see where having access to Elephants might mean that you no longer need Rams but I do not agree with it as I would think a Ram is more capable of breaking down doors than any elephant unit.

So the sweet spot for Rams is if you have no elephants (or Mammoths) between Archery and Masonry? Unless I missed something or remember wrongly (I am still not at home and unable to check the exact mechanics, answering via memory).

Cheers

The first problem with this is when Rams first are available there are no ranged attackers really. Not until Archery and Archers do we have Ranged attackers as well. Between that and Masonry (where City Walls and Minimum Defense suddenly stops Ranged Attacks against a bunch of cities) is then the only time you can use Rams to any effect, not strategically finding a sweet spot but at only a certain point in history.

The second problem is that if you are able to shoot and injure your opponent enough in their fortifications then you can also attack with your city attackers, making Rams rather only meaningful if you for some reason ave not been able to get any good city attackers.
Of course I can see where having access to Elephants might mean that you no longer need Rams but I do not agree with it as I would think a Ram is more capable of breaking down doors than any elephant unit.

So the sweet spot for Rams is if you have no elephants (or Mammoths) between Archery and Masonry? Unless I missed something or remember wrongly (I am still not at home and unable to check the exact mechanics, answering via memory).

Cheers

Before Archers, rams are on their own to get the city down to where you can attack. So yes, it's tougher to take cities before this point - BUT city defenses aren't all that strong usually at this stage so yeah you'll lose some rams but it gets you started. From there you can use throwing units dedicated to strong withdrawal and (if on ForF) early withdrawal to wear down the enemy further. Then you can send in the city attackers.

Ultimately the point of rams is to wear down the defenses to where you can successfully attack, and then to wear them down further once the withdrawable attackers have worn down the units to where the rams can easily survive to wear down the defenses to the minimum in preparation for the city attackers to swarm in.

If your city attackers are strong enough you may not need the withdraw units at all but until you have distance bombarding units you'll still need the rams and after this point the rams are so strong at wearing down defenses that you may be able to forgo quite as many distance bombard siege weapons and get the rams in there to get some better experience rewards out of the effort to break down city defense. Rams also double as halfway decent defense fodder for your stack.

Minimum city defense does not stop a ram, nor does it stop a ranged assault from being valid.

Elephants aren't quite yet able to perform ram functions but promos to enable this for them are planned. They won't ever be quite as strong as rams at break down abilities but they would likely be much stronger in the actual fight so would have a much higher chance of walking away from the battle.

The Hittite Chariot is strength 4 and requires Bronze Working which also unlocks the real str 6 Chariot. The UU should obviously be at least str 6, but even then I'm not sure it has any advantage over the generic unit.

The Hittite Chariot is strength 4 and requires Bronze Working which also unlocks the real str 6 Chariot. The UU should obviously be at least str 6, but even then I'm not sure it has any advantage over the generic unit.

Have always skipped Chariots, am I missing out?

Top Bottom