Caesar's Gallic Wars

This looks awesome, @JPetroski. You're very much tempting me to put my unfinished EoTRS and Modern Mideast scenarios I wanted to finally finish back on the shelf (where they had been for years as it was), and return to Fall of Rome, which is still quite fresh in terms of my ideas, and I think Tanelorn's latest compilation of Ancient/Early Medieval units might actually have the remaining few I was looking for.

Roman units and cities are placed, as well as the Helvetii Migration.

Caesar started off with only one legion in range to take on the Helvetii (I can't seem to find which one, so I'm going with the 10th) - his other three were at Aquilea. You don't have a whole lot of units to take on the horde until your reinforcements arrive, but your units are significantly stronger.

Roman units and cities are placed, as well as the Helvetii Migration.

Caesar started off with only one legion in range to take on the Helvetii (I can't seem to find which one, so I'm going with the 10th) - his other three were at Aquilea. You don't have a whole lot of units to take on the horde until your reinforcements arrive, but your units are significantly stronger.

Purely pedantic question: Was Geneva called Geneva back then?

Purely pedantic question: Was Geneva called Geneva back then?

It was on the maps I've found, but checking Caesar's original latin, I guess he refers to it as "Genavam" - so I'll have to change it.

Does anyone know if you can have a civ called "Barbarians" without causing trouble with events? For example, will a "CreateUnit" owner=Barbarians give it to the civ, or will the game try to give it to the "real" barbarians?

@JPetroski

You can have a barb civ, and events-create barb units with no problems.
Only AI barb air units act weird, but that will no problem in this scen.

Thanks but I literally have renamed a 7th Civ "Barbarians" - would that cause issues? Do you know? Otherwise I will need to come up with another name or probably split it up (right now it is Germany and England, which were both pretty mysterious to the Romans)

Thanks but I literally have renamed a 7th Civ "Barbarians" - would that cause issues? Do you know? Otherwise I will need to come up with another name or probably split it up (right now it is Germany and England, which were both pretty mysterious to the Romans)
Just rename the Barbarians themselves to something else (their "Civ name" is under their "leader" Attila's name, in the labels.txt, not the rules.txt file). That SHOULD work (I would think).

Just rename the Barbarians themselves to something else (their "Civ name" is under their "leader" Attila's name, in the labels.txt, not the rules.txt file). That SHOULD work (I would think).

That worked! Thanks!

I've started playtesting... The text events need to be written up, and the details need to be done, but the scenario is "playable" if not photo ready. Hopefully in a few weeks I can send it put for external playtesting.

Maybe these will be of some use JP; more era-appropriate legions without the Principate-era armour and helmets. Added a few Gallic iron Port, Agen and early Weissenau type helmets to Caesar's legions in red as they were raised in areas with Gallic armour-smiths I guess.

Edit: forgot the I, V and VI legions. Added.

later republican legions.png

Last edited:
Glad they're useful. I'd be up for the playtest btw - I'm no Agricola, rest his soul, (who is) but I could give mediocre-player feedback

I will certainly forward you the files when they are ready for external playtest! Right now the scenario is "roughly finished" meaning that it is playable/there are no major things left out (I almost always make tweaks and changes). I like to try and get it as "photo ready" as possible before shipping out to take advantage of the extra eyes for playability but also stupid stuff like spelling errors.

The only thing that might delay things is @Grishnach did float the idea of writing lua scripts for a scenario in the ToTPP thread in general, and I'm hopeful he'll see this scenario as worthy of his efforts :)

Caesar put down three major rebellions in Gaul and right now I have them triggered by the usual - flags for when a certain threshold of cities is captured; however, with lua it should be possible to have the game react to your troop movements, which frankly makes more sense and is more realistic of the situation at hand. Ambiorix's revolt, for example, was largely triggered by Roman units wintering in Belgium. I know that it is possible to script events based on the presence of certain units in certain areas, so it would be possible to both give the Romans a reason to send their legions into certain areas of the map at certain times, and to have there be a drawback (such as a revolt).

I don't think the scenario necessarily needs to be "First take out the Helvetii, then Ariovistus, then the Belgae, then the Veneti, then the Aquitani, then the Arverni."
I'd rather it be "You must capture 60 objectives in 106 turns and do so as you best see fit, but if your enemies smell weakness they will strike."

Vercingetorix's revolt would always be last, but lua could add some depth to it (for example in addition to the cities captured and turn, it could also take into account the size of the Roman army in an area -- maybe the rebellion starts where it hurts the most, etc.)

Anyway, I will be moving forward with the understanding that this is a macro.txt scenario and trying to complete it independently, but if the opportunity to collaborate presents itself I would take it.

As an update, this scenario will certainly feature lua. @Grishnach has been a tremendous partner and has done great work.

One feature we are both very excited about is lua will enable ranged units. @CurtSibling had a question about this in another thread, namely how elegant it is. The answer is it is extremely elegant. You simply select a unit and then press a key (in our case, 'k'). Ammunition then shows up on the unit, and the unit loses movement points (to prevent ammo from infinitely appearing, although if you wanted it to for whatever reason, you could remove the MP penalty in your event). We have it set up so that certain units can acquire ammunition anywhere, and other units have to be on a specific type of terrain (in our case, a "prepared site").

This does take 2 unit spaces (one for the unit, one for the ammo) but with the 127 available in ToTPP, this isn't a huge issue. I'm actually tying up 8 units, because the following will have ranged attacks:

Baeleric Slingers ---> flings stones, can get ammo anywhere, loses 1/3 of its MP per each stone drawn, so it could shoot 3 times. Stones fly 1 space.
Cretan Archers ---> shoots arrows, can get ammo anywhere, loses 1/2 of its MP per arrow drawn. Arrows fly 2 spaces.
Scorpio ---> shoots scorpio bolt, can get ammo anywhere (might see if we can change this to open ground only, actually) and loses 1/2 of its MP per bolt (so it is mobile artillery). Bolts fly 3 spaces.
Onager ---> flings boulders, can only get ammo on prepare site, loses all of its MP per boulder (fixed artillery that can only shot once). Boulders fly 4 spaces.

All of these units have 0 attack and fairly weak defense. They need to be protected by other units. Their ammo is their strength. Their ammo ranges in strength (which I'm still working on the balance of) but what I'd like to achieve is stones will injure but not kill most units, arrows should badly injure most units, bolts should kill most units that aren't in cities and damage units that are, and boulders really should smash anything they encounter.

This same concept could be applied to naval shells, bombs from aircraft, or even bullets from infantry if you wanted to. The nice thing is, by making the ammo relatively weak, we should be able to effectively have attack sequences that don't necessarily kill either the attacker or the defender -- so consider the implications for a scenario about Trafalgar or Midway... Something that seemed almost too simple/quick under the old rules of civ is actually interesting with lua.

We are also trying to implement a check to see if there is a supply route back to a certain point for a unit to be able to draw ammo. This "should" be possible but we haven't implemented it yet.

And, of course, I'm sure the AI would be hopeless at this so I am only going to allow this feature for the Romans.

No, but it really doesn't need to, either. Think of it this way: it's always "carrying ammo" (at least when in supply), but pressing "k" "locks and loads" the ammo.

If you wanted to be able to store up ammo, you'd need to give the unit carry air, with the usual problems for ground units with that flag. Siege/static artillery would work fine like this.

I do think TNO is trying to tweak it so that ground units can carry other units around with them, but that hasn't come out yet.

Top Bottom