Can I recapture a city taken from my civ?

Prozac1964

Warlord
Quick question here....umm. I was just playing America/Prince/Dom and had settled the capital of Washington, then New York, then Boston and suddenly Attilla swooped and attacked and conquered my "New York". grrrrrr

What I want to know is if I defeat him will I get New York back? Or is there any way to get it back????

Sorry, I'm just a little P.O.'d about it....not on the serious side, just in a crazy gamer sort of way. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks. :)

Same rules apply for every city... if you attack back that city and enter in it with melee unit it will be yours again. I suggest you to build army from time to time to defend your cities and pay attention on your neighbors` whining about you settling too close to them. Since you are doing domi victory i will suggest you to build every defensive building you can, it will make them rethink their chances against you. Also dont rush to attack his units. All you need to do is have a ranged unit stationed in your city and kill off melee units... do that and he cant enter the city no matter how many ranged units he have. Recently i started using another tactic too: if he is close to me and we are in war making me defend my city i will send off 1 or 2 horsemen to pillage his tiles to cripple his resources.

Same rules apply for every city... if you attack back that city and enter in it with melee unit it will be yours again. I suggest you to build army from time to time to defend your cities and pay attention on your neighbors` whining about you settling too close to them. Since you are doing domi victory i will suggest you to build every defensive building you can, it will make them rethink their chances against you. Also dont rush to attack his units. All you need to do is have a ranged unit stationed in your city and kill off melee units... do that and he cant enter the city no matter how many ranged units he have. Recently i started using another tactic too: if he is close to me and we are in war making me defend my city i will send off 1 or 2 horsemen to pillage his tiles to cripple his resources.

Thank you for your reply. :) The only problem is, New York was gone off the map completely, that's why I was wondering if I took that civ's capital would I get New York back in the process?

If you were original owner of the city you capture, you immediately annex it without loss of population or extra unhappiness.

Don't know the answer to that one Dushku. :) And I guess Atilla razed it cuz it just vanished! Oh well, live and learn. :D

Don't know the answer to that one Dushku. :) And I guess Atilla razed it cuz it just vanished! Oh well, live and learn. :D

Attila usually razes city due to his extra speed of razing city (2 pop gone per turn)

Oh nice tip! I've played against him twice in the last few days and both times he declares war on me without provocation! He must be an aggressive Civ :D

Here's a question: If you retake a city that was first yours, do you get the option to puppet it and/or get the extra unhappiness from occupation?
Happened to me on last game i played... it was as if i liberated the city. It immediately became my own (not puppeted) and i didnt have to build courthouse. Same happened when i obtainet city through piece treaty and then sold the city back to that civ

Thank you for your reply. :) The only problem is, New York was gone off the map completely, that's why I was wondering if I took that civ's capital would I get New York back in the process?

Atilla is a warmonger. You have to expect him to attack fast and seemingly unprovoked. New York was razed which mean he completely destroyed it. Later on you might get an archaeological site on that location

Another tip i can give you is to get the Enhanced user interface mod. I started using it not long ago and it helps me alot to keep track on other civ behavior although at start it will look confusing

Another tip i can give you is to get the Enhanced user interface mod. I started using it not long ago and it helps me alot to keep track on other civ behavior although at start it will look confusing

I agree with all of this. Just wanted to add that I've released a tweak for it that turns unlocked citizens a different color. I found it useful, so I made a release to help other implement it with ease: https://youtu.be/B7yYQG3jjmY

There is a bug. Or at least there used to be. When you're playing as Venice and an AI captures it, if you capture it back it remains a puppet and can never be annexed

There is a bug. Or at least there used to be. When you're playing as Venice and an AI captures it, if you capture it back it remains a puppet and can never be annexed

I always wondered about Venice thing... if you loose your main city do you automatically annex the next city or you remain with puppet cities

It is good entertainment to have that much competition from an AI. OP, I would encourage you to keep your earlier saves from this game and see if you can replay them better and well enough to avoid losing New York in the first place. Once you have the difficulty setting high enough, losing an early city is game over -- even if you quickly win it back. Learning how to deal with the rampant warmongers is so very valuable!

I always wondered about Venice thing... if you loose your main city do you automatically annex the next city or you remain with puppet cities

Sadly, I have experienced this first hand, so I can report that they stayed as puppets, with no additional options for annexing. The cap moves, but it stays a puppet. I doubt that I tried to salvage that game -- so I don't know if the recaptured-Venice-stays-a-puppet bug has been fixed. I had a game not too long ago where I liberated Venice. They never built a wonder after that, so that might be telling that the bug is still there.

Somewhat related, MoV (from a CS gift) work better for the non-Venice player than they do for Venice! Gifted MoV do not have the puppet-only limitation.

It is good entertainment to have that much competition from an AI. OP, I would encourage you to keep your earlier saves from this game and see if you can replay them better and well enough to avoid losing New York in the first place. Once you have the difficulty setting high enough, losing an early city is game over -- even if you quickly win it back. Learning how to deal with the rampant warmongers is so very valuable!

Sadly, I have experienced this first hand, so I can report that they stayed as puppets, with no additional options for annexing. The cap moves, but it stays a puppet. I doubt that I tried to salvage that game -- so I don't know if the recaptured-Venice-stays-a-puppet bug has been fixed. I had a game not too long ago where I liberated Venice. They never built a wonder after that, so that might be telling that the bug is still there.

Somewhat related, MoV (from a CS gift) work better for the non-Venice player than they do for Venice! Gifted MoV do not have the puppet-only limitation.
So pretty much capture Venice and its an endgame for them in every victory condition. Especially since puppet cities wont spawn military units which you could use :/

Could that bug occur to Venice AI?

Venice had more than one bug I'm afraid. I saw Venice had annexed another city other than Venice, but that was before the patch. Its unknown to me whether the patch fixed that or not.

Top Bottom