Can someone try to do a Scramble for Africa Mod?

czechball

Chieftain
So some framework:

Colonial Nations:

Required:
England/Great Britain
France
Spain
Netherlands (all base game civs)
Portugal
Italy
Germany
Belgium (other major colonial powers)

^These are the colonial nations that I really want to see

Optional:
Denmark
Sweden
United States
Ottoman Empire
Oman

^These are the colonial nations that aren't required, but could be interesting to play

Natives:

Zulu
Sokoto
Kongo
Morocco
Ashanti
Tripoli
Lunda
Darfur
Burundi
Rwanda
Benin
Dahomey
Gaza
Kanem-Bornu
Wadai
Merina
Trarza
Ethiopia

The Natives of Africa that could be interesting to see

Potential Start Dates:

1815 (end of the Napoleonic Wars & War of 1812)
1872 (formation of the German Empire)
1884 (Berlin Conference)

These start dates have their reasons

Potential Colonial End Dates (the time you have to declare independence):

1957 (Ghana gains independence from the United Kingdom)
1960 (Algerian War of Independence, DR Congo gains independence from Belgium and mass independence of French Colonial Africa)
1975 (All Remaining Portuguese Colonies gain independence (Angola, Mozambique, Cape Verde, etc...))
1977 (Independence of Djibouti, and Mainland Africa is finally all ruled by Africans)

These also have their reasons

End Date:

Reason being that this was the year that South Sudan, the world's newest country, gained its independence

So if you are up to the task, try to do this ;)

Last edited:
That kind of mod would be a completely different game and in my opinion would not even fit Civ IV Colonization.

For example the colonization of Africa was for a long time nonexistant. Even when most of America was already split up by europeans, in Africa just a fortress at the coast of some settlements at places where the climate was similar to Europe (e.g. Kapkolonie) existed until the 19th century

Not because anyone wanted to colonize Africa - but as a trade hub for african slaves that the africans themselves delivered to the european coastal settlements and as a waystation on the route between Europe and India (ships back then had to stop and get fresh water and if possible fresh fruits in regular intervals to prevent diseases).

Unlike in America where the population count was crushed by european diseases and the land partly depopulated and partly sparsely settled, in Africa it was the other way around. Malaria, Sleeping Illness and a variety of fevers threatened europeans who dared to travel inland.
Only after Chinin was found to help and after vaccinations became a thing was it no longer a health risk to colonize Africa for european states.
And only after the development of the first rapid shooting guns (e.g. Gatling Gun) was it possible to force the numerous local population under european rule.

Last edited:
For modders like me the starting post sounds a bit like:
"Hey, if you are bored, then go and invest years of your private live to create something that I want. But I myself am not really interested to support of course. But here is a list of a few points I want to have so I would actually like it.
Oh and of course it should not be historically the same age as the base game or all major mods. Instead it should include the full modern history until 2016 with appropriate techs, leaders, Units, ... thus go and create a new game actually.
By the way if that does not motivate you, did you notice that I challenged your skills at the end? Now you are going to do what I want right? Go and show me what you can do."

So if you are up to the task, try to do this.
Does community really think this is the way modding works? Throwing a post out there and waiting for others to create your mod?
Does community really think we modders work for others just because we are bored and do not know what to do with our life?

Not even the slightest sign of trying yourself or maybe at least an offer to contribute? Or any other support you may offer to modding community in exchange?
Not a single word of politeness like "Can somebody help me ...", "I would really like ...", "please" or "thanks in advance"? Just "if you are up to the task"?

Title: Can someone try to do a Scramble for Africa Mod?
Does community really think what we modders do is just carelessly "scramble"? Just throwing files into a few folders, mixing it and "Voila, here is your mod".
Does anybody think that such a "scrambled" mod would be fun to play instead of being a bug contaminated low quality nightmare to play?

----

Well, it was probably not meant like that and the post was just written without actually caring if this mod was ever created or not.
And most likely it was also created without any knowledge about modding Civ4Col or any interest to actually know.

And probalby I am just old and not used to the new ways of communication today ...
Maybe it was even simply meant as trolling ... because that was my first feeling when I read it.

Thus normally I would have continued to ignore this post instead of wasting my time to answer.
I saw it when it was originally created in February but did not consider such a careless post to be worth a reply.

But since it got a post as an answer now, I felt tempted to answer to this as well.
Maybe it helps a bit to have community understand how modders may read such posts and why they normally do not answer to them.

Last edited:
This can be kind of what you're looking for. Don't know why European countries have so much of a foot hold allready in africa, south east asia im not so educated with whats factual and what's not. I guess the french islands can stay, german islands are more post 1862?

Earth 1862 (download link) EDIT this is for civ IV BTS not civ colonization

Last edited:
---

Title: Can someone try to do a Scramble for Africa Mod?
Does community really think what we modders do is just carelessly "scramble"? Just throwing files into a few folders, mixing it and "Voila, here is your mod".
Does anybody think that such a "scrambled" mod would be fun to play instead of being a bug contaminated low quality nightmare to play?
You misunderstood him. He did not refer to modders or the modding as scramble or scrambled but used the common name of the colonization of Africa: "Scramble for Africa" = "Wettlauf um Afrika"

You misunderstood him.
Yeah I did. :thumbsup:

Still unlikely that such a Civ4Col mod is ever created. Just too much effort and too few active modders. And most likely nobody feels like taking on such a gigantic task alone. :dunno:
It would easily require about 1000+ hours / about 1 year+ of spare time (at least 50 weeks with 20 hours of modding each week) to create a playable Total Conversion.

And even that is highly optimistic and would most likely not result in a very satisfying or even new gameplay compared to Civ4Col Vanilla.
Effort invested into TAC --> RaR --> WTP in those 15 years by the complete team(s) is easily about 15.000 hours. (In average 20 hours each week by the team.)

So yeah, it would be great to see some new projects being started and finished successfully. :thumbsup:
But without a complete team being motivated to work on it, I just don't believe it will ever happen.

Last edited:
Top Bottom