Can the AI use navies on archipelago maps?

CaptainKoloth

Chieftain
I'm playing on King on an archipelago map. Late game and doing pretty well. To date I've not had a single war declared on me by the AI, which has never happened before in any game of Civ I've played, V or otherwise. I do have a pretty strong military (#1 in the demographics), but I'm wondering, does the AI know how to use navies on archipelago maps? Have I not had war declared on me because of an AI problem or am I just getting lucky with the random number gods and such?

Well, I haven't yet seen an AI navy that could fight its way INTO a wet paper bag; much less OUT of one .

But that doesn't stop me from taking advantage of their -6 IQ Admirals !!

It's not luck, that's just how the AI is on watery maps.

If you have a map where the landmasses are somewhat close, they might at least declare war, but their invasion tactics are usually dumb. They make way more land units than they could ever need and usually embark them unprotected, they prioritize melee ships way too much, and the ranged ships they do make they rarely get any use out of since they can't move and shoot in the same turn.

I've only been invaded across oceans once and it was when Genghis brought over a dozen privateers to attack a city that had all of 1 coastal tile. I've also been playing through some scenarios for the first time, most recently the Korea scenario as Japan, and I'm dumbfounded by how many unguarded units China has embarked to be scooped up by my triremes. AI just doesn't know how to handle water.

No.

As has been said many times, the AI is very poor at naval warfare - I think it just tries to replicate land tactics.

The only occasion in all the time I've been playing CiV that I've been roundly beaten at sea was by William - my 4 SOTL got surrounded by lots of sea beggars and eventually lost the battle and I lost half my fleet.

I'm no genius admiral, the AI simply doesn't use range and position to its advantage, and all too often most of its fleet just watches whilst you sink vessel after vessel; and that unprotected embarked units thing it does is just stupid.

Korea actually assembled a fair fleet against me on an archi game, 2 aircraft carriers, 4 battleships and a few ironclads turned up. And it was a surprise DOW (we were declared friends and it took me completely by surprise, we were racing into space so i guess that was why)

Unfortunately the AI decided to park its carriers right next to my land and in front of the battleships so they were sunk in very short order...after mopping up the attack i went on to take Seoul a dozen or so turns later.

So my experience is no, they are pretty incompetent with navies.

They are horrible at it. I have been testing with FireTuner.

Top Bottom