[GS] Canada Livestream Discussion

Is it just me or are the devs avoiding opening the civics tree? I'd think the hockey rink would be in there instead of on the tech side.

I'm also curious what the 4th tier government buildings will be in the new era. They should be rather powerful to be worth building during endgame and kinda wish they hinted at them.

Yeah that was sort of my assumption as well - that if you start out at too 'big' of a venue, you have a higher chance to fail (like starting with a more difficult spy mission). But I wasn't playing that close attention to where they were playing.

Oh, that makes more sense. I was actually thinking the opposite.

Is it just me or are the devs avoiding opening the civics tree? I'd think the hockey rink would be in there instead of on the tech side.

I'm also curious what the 4th tier government buildings will be in the new era. They should be rather powerful to be worth building during endgame and kinda wish they hinted at them.

They are definitely hiding the civic tree and more than 1 person asked where in the civic tree the rink unlocked but the question was never answered. Opening the civics tree would reveal a lot that they do not want to show yet so I can understand why did not show it.

Well, scientifically speaking, the environment or life doesn't really have any inherent value.

If you go that route, scientifically speaking there's no such thing as "inherent value". Value is entirely a human construct - nothing has any value beyond that which people assign to it. If you're going to associate that with a faith mechanic, any cultural, scientific, amenity or commercial enterprise the game represents could be generated with faith.

As far as pragmatic functional utility goes, pretty much nothing is as important as the environment since it underpins everything humans need to subsist and all the resources they require.

Even in pragmatic terms, what's the use of delaying the inevitable (this planet, the Sun (or any other star) won't last forever)?

It's hardly an original observation that the ultimate purpose of a human life is to delay the inevitable. That's rather akin to asking what the purpose of food or medicine is.

Thinking about stockpiles. We saw in the Canadian stream that their stockpile max capacity was 45. I haven't gone back to look if they had any Encampments to increase the max capacity, but let's assume they've done something to increase it.

We know at the quick game speed that units typically consume 13 of a resource to build and 6(?) to upgrade.

So let's assume they built 2 Encampment buildings which increased the max capacity by 20 and the base capacity is 25.

So in the early game (at that speed) if you don't have a barracks and you have your strategic resource at max capacity, you will only be able to start building 1 strategic resource unit or upgrade 3 per turn, then periodically as resources trickle in.

I assume the max capacity of stockpiles increases proportionately to unit cost as game speed increases.

My point being, the stockpile max capacity will slow down building or upgrading of strategic resource units in the early game and you will probably need to invest in resourceless units (archers and spearmen?) more to pad out your forces. Also, Encampments and their buildings will be more important, not just for making military forces easier to build, but economically too, so you can run those power plants.

This would make unique units much more powerful.

If you go that route, scientifically speaking there's no such thing as "inherent value". Value is entirely a human construct - nothing has any value beyond that which people assign to it.
Maybe I was being too obscure, but did you read what I was replying to, as that was the point? I personally think that life is precious, as well as the environment, even though there can never be any scientific evidence pointing to one way or the other. It's just that if you're trying to keep yourself alive, you're following a similarly unscientific dogma as the faith-based naturalists (who are trying to keep flora&fauna alive). Of course, different dogmas can have very different effects on other people and the environment, should someone care about such effects. :mischief:

Maybe I was being too obscure, but did you read what I was replying to, as that was the point?

Yes, the suggestion that 'faith' could be used as an indication of value - my counterpoint being that everything in the game that doesn't demand physical production could be represented that way, from hockey rinks to scientific research. Human societies can persist well enough without either technology or theoretical knowledge, without cultural entertainments, or without currency systems - and a number do. We pursue them because they're considered valuable in themselves by developed societies, or because they can achieve ends those societies value.

I personally think that life is precious, as well as the environment, even though there can never be any scientific evidence pointing to one way or the other.

Obviously you can never have scientific evidence for a value judgment such as 'precious', but we can and do have plenty of scientific evidence of the utility of the environment, quite aside from the common-sense inference that - as the thing humans are situated in and that provides their food and shelter - it's the single most fundamental prerequisite for the persistence of human societies. Decomposition and nutrient cycling is needed both to prevent the buildup of organic waste and to provide soil fertility, and has been shown to be negatively affect by artificial land management. Food crops, and luxury crops like coffee and banana are suffering from greater incidences of disease following the removal of natural predators of pest organisms, and narrowing areas suitable for their cultivation resulting from climate change. Water pollution impacts the habitability of entire river systems and the incidence of human disease. Forest clearance for agriculture removes the plants that stabilise the soil, which can render the resulting fields unproductive within a few years and unable to regenerate either natural vegetation or crops.

And those are just a couple of the features that can be affected directly by people. Cycles humans can't presently affect detectably - such as nitrogen-fixing bacteria and rates of photosynthesis - are fundamental to keeping the planet friendly for multicellular life.

It's just that if you're trying to keep yourself alive, you're following a similarly unscientific dogma as the faith-based naturalists (who are trying to keep flora&fauna alive).

That seems to rest on a false notion of what science is. Science is a process for obtaining knowledge and applying to achieve an objective, not an objective itself. The objective can be 'unscientific' - the scientists are brought in to work out how to achieve it. If the objective a research is team is given is to protect a particular area, faunal group, watershed etc. it's immaterial what the motivation inspiring that protection is - the process of identifying effective methods to achieve that result is entirely scientific.

As this relates to naturalists, these are the people who conduct surveys to identify which species occur in an area, compile information (as in my case) to identify threats to their survival, document their ecological requirements, monitor their population status, and work to understand their relationships to other components of their ecosystems and their role in ecosystem functions such as provision of fresh water. All that is resolutely empirical - the same frog community is in a region whatever the naturalists' or anyone else's beliefs about those frogs' value.

Last edited:
Yes, the suggestion that 'faith' could be used as an indication of value - my counterpoint being that everything in the game that doesn't demand physical production could be represented that way, from hockey rinks to scientific research.
It takes a certain amount of "faith" to do anything (as in believing that the world is real (or feels real enough) or that life is worth living). Wouldn't be easy to represent in a game, but e.g. suicide rates vary widely in different countries/cultures.
That seems to rest on a false notion of what science is. Science is a process for obtaining knowledge and applying to achieve an objective, not an objective itself. The objective can be 'unscientific' - the scientists are brought in to work out how to achieve it. If the objective a research is team is given is to protect a particular area, faunal group, watershed etc. it's immaterial what the motivation inspiring that protection is - the process of identifying effective methods to achieve that result is entirely scientific.
I'm not dissing science either. Yes, it only tries to answer questions that can (at least theoretically, not everyone has access to CERN etc.) be falsified (although how often do you see negative results published - preregistration of studies might change this, but we'll see - and the replication crisis is only a very recent phenomenon, even though the replicability of experiments should be one of the foundations of the scientific method). The thing is, sure, we can have a panoply of research about what we should do if we want to keep a certain ecosystem alive or what a person should do if that person wishes to live longer (currently using search terms "exercise" and "health" on PubMed yields 138475 results, "nutrition" and "health" 148402), on average, but the reason why an ecosystem or a person should be kept alive is ultimately because of subjective feelings (yeah, maybe equating that with faith is wrong, to be precise, but I think it serves the purpose here, not least because of the way it is used in the game).

So the reference to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland when they were talking about the drought... new world wonder?

incorrect!
They have added +1 food, +2 Prod and +2 gold to it!... increased it by 25 prod but hey... that's 12 turns with that +2 prod.
cheers!

I don't think there is any change. Since that screenshot is from a build queue, the production is simply reflecting the adjacency bonus. Looking at another screenshot shows this:
Screenshot (156).png

Don't know why Giskler's SS has gold on it, maybe a policy?

Top Bottom