Canada Mod - Deluxe Edition

Just downloaded the Canada mod, and it's terrific. As a Yank with New Zealand roots (married and had my first kid there) who has collected Canadian postage stamps for 35 years, I know enough about Canada and its history to be at least dangerous. I read the entire thread and even got most of the jokes.

I'm playing Canada at the Settler level to learn the game (just got that too), and it's addictive. I recommend to folks here that they read the works of the late Pierre Berton or the very living Mark Zuehlke for more on Canadian history in general and military history in particular.

You won't see much of me, because I have a full-time family, a full-time job, and a busy writing career, but I just wanted to say hello, thanks for the mod and the material, and best Holiday wishes to all.

Don't forget the batteries. :)

Many thanks! And a great shout-out to Burton.

Many thanks! And a great shout-out to Burton.

...and I'll shout out to Burton if you can point me at him.

I must say, having played with Canada a few times, it's odd to see things like the "Shwedagon Paya" and the "Hanging Gardens" rise over Montreal and Toronto. But it makes as much sense as the Mongolians all becoming Jewish! :lol:

However, I am astonished by the immense energy that went into the Canadian civilization. About the only thing I would add would be Guy Simonds as a "Great General," alongside Arthur Currie and Romeo Dallaire. :)

Hey guys. I'm Canadian, and I thank you for posting this. I seem to be having trouble, however. I have done everything just as was stated in the guide to downloading, installing, and playing. And I load up the game, and it says the mod has been loaded. I've tried clearing the cache and I've changed the Civ4Config file, but yet Canada, and none of her leaders show up anywhere. What do I do?

Hey Sevs,
In order for anyone to help you we need to know:
  • BTS version (latest 3.19 I think)
  • OS (operating system)

That being said, I had the same problem. I will assume you're using Vista and you are an administrator. My problems were related to Security settings. (Note: Disabling UAC had no affect.) You will first need to verify a couple things (I didn't see them listed in your email).
  1. Verify you put the Mod folder in the correct place. It should be in the Firaxis Games folder not your My Games folder. Both folders have a folder called Mods.
  2. Verify that the Mod is not double-packed. The file directory should be
    "Firaxis Games" > "Sid Meir's Civilization 4" > "Beyond the Sword" > Mods > Canada > Assets >...​
    Sometimes I forgot to unpack properly and installed the Mod inside a second Canada folder.
  3. Verify that the permissions are set properly for the Canada folder. The file owner must be able to
    • "Read & Execute"
    • "List Folder Contents"
    • and Read
    These are found by Right-Clicking the Canada Mod folder > Security Tab. Compare the settings on this folder to any of the Mods that work for you. They should all be the same.
  4. Try changing the "Civ4BeyondSword.exe" to "Run as Administrator" for all users
If all of these are set correctly and the mod still does not work
  • Uninstall Beyond the Sword and Reinstall using the Compatibility Wizard setting "Run as administrator" for all users.
If that still doesn't work
  • Uninstall the entire Civ4 game set-up and all expansion packs and Reinstall using the Compatibility Wizard setting "Run as Administrator" for all users with each installation.

Excellent mod, But the lack of Cretien as a leader with the inclusion of our Goveror General.. is a little offsetting. If you wanted a monarchist feel, the Queen would have worked just as well.. while being around for a much longer time.

He addressed that before: he didn't really want her as a leader except as an excuse to try and make a "black" reskin of Elizabeth, to see how it would look.

Nice idea for a Mod, but i'm holding off on it for the moment... It might be silly, but i don't like the leaders you've selected. I understand the instinct to use Prime Ministers (and the Governor General), but i think more exciting Canadian icons could have been used instead.

Champlain and Louis Riel come to mind immediately, because they'd be fun to play, and have had huge impacts on Canadian history. I realize that neither man were actual Canadians, exactly, and that strong academic arguments could be made against their having had larger impacts on the course of Canadian history than, say Pearson or King, but they're still heroic icons in Canada's past, and for me, that's what i'm looking for when i play video games ;)

I know it's rude to criticize your design when i haven't taken the time to try it for myself, but i thought i might share my thoughts. Hope they're somewhat interesting, for whatever they're worth!

Also, while i'm typing, great idea using Inuksuks! Maybe even go a step further, and let "Bronze Age Canada" use Sitting Bull's UU, or just the model or something similar, to play up Canada's Native heritage?

Fenian Brotherhood Barbarian raids? ;P The Avro Arrow is also awesome. Tommy Douglas as a Great Person, or a National Project that increases Health in every city? :D A Quest that forces players to construct special dual-language universities/courts/hospitals, but with a nice cultural reward?

Maybe players could have the option of selecting simple static historic portraits of their leaders, rather than the remade moving animations of world-leaders, for those who would be distracted by the 3D image of Trudeau in a breastplate, with Caeser's crown around his ears....

If i'm just repeating ideas or points smarter people have made earlier in this thread, i apologize, i didn't read it through all the way. But let me end with: sorry if i seem to be criticizing! I think it's great we've got patriots who will make this kind of effort, for other Canadians' entertainment!

I'd say it is a bit unfair to use a FRENCH explorer as a Canadian leader. If he is a French national I think they get the nod over the Canucks. I get your point, but he was French and not Canadian. For Riel, he could work but that would be the same as making Jefferson Davis as the leader of the Americans. Sure they both lead people, however the nature of their leadership was basically rebellious, so I wouldn't make them leaders of their countries.

I do see your point as well, about Champlain being a French National, but just because he lived before there was a Canadian nation to be a citizen of doesn't make him less of a Canadian icon. The French court barely cared what happened to Quebec, but Champlain's persistence and intelligence won out. Not to mention his willingness to negotiate with Native groups, rather than dominate them. Without him, there is no chance that the Canadian nation as it exists today would be possible.

He wasn't a citizen, but he was our founder, which is an altogether different reason to put him in than which culture gets "the nod."

Riel, though... On second thought, you're absolutely right about him. How's about Don Cherry, instead?

The Champlain leaderhead is available through Colonization. It wouldn't be too difficult to add him.

As for Riel, he's in CIV Gold as the Metis leader, complete with a custom animated LH. I echo The Capo's point - he was Canadian in the sense that he is a part of our shared history, but as a leader oppose to the national administration, he'd probably be an odd choice in that role.

Because of our history with the Métis, it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to include that civilization into the Canada Mod. Canada would likely be a lot different if it weren't for Louis Riel! (The North West Rebellion, the Red River Rebellion)

Hey Sevs,
In order for anyone to help you we need to know:
  • BTS version (latest 3.19 I think)
  • OS (operating system)

That being said, I had the same problem. I will assume you're using Vista and you are an administrator. My problems were related to Security settings. (Note: Disabling UAC had no affect.) You will first need to verify a couple things (I didn't see them listed in your email).
  1. Verify you put the Mod folder in the correct place. It should be in the Firaxis Games folder not your My Games folder. Both folders have a folder called Mods.
  2. Verify that the Mod is not double-packed. The file directory should be
    "Firaxis Games" > "Sid Meir's Civilization 4" > "Beyond the Sword" > Mods > Canada > Assets >...​
    Sometimes I forgot to unpack properly and installed the Mod inside a second Canada folder.
  3. Verify that the permissions are set properly for the Canada folder. The file owner must be able to
    • "Read & Execute"
    • "List Folder Contents"
    • and Read
    These are found by Right-Clicking the Canada Mod folder > Security Tab. Compare the settings on this folder to any of the Mods that work for you. They should all be the same.
  4. Try changing the "Civ4BeyondSword.exe" to "Run as Administrator" for all users
If all of these are set correctly and the mod still does not work
  • Uninstall Beyond the Sword and Reinstall using the Compatibility Wizard setting "Run as administrator" for all users.
If that still doesn't work
  • Uninstall the entire Civ4 game set-up and all expansion packs and Reinstall using the Compatibility Wizard setting "Run as Administrator" for all users with each installation.

I finally got it to notice the mod, but when I went to load it, I was confronted on the loading screen with many of XML errors. What do I do now?

Wyz (or someone else in the know),

This mod looks awesome, but can I use it with a Mac OSX version of Civ IV? I didn't see this addressed, but I'm not very tech-inclined and have never used mods before, so I thought I'd ask. If so, I'm going to go ahead and pick up the complete version from Steam. Thanks!

I finally got it to notice the mod, but when I went to load it, I was confronted on the loading screen with many of XML errors. What do I do now?

i have this same problem. The mod shows up in my mod list but as I go to load it, I get something like two dozen XML errors and then the game crashes. I'm a canadiaan and I have wanted to play a Canadian Civilization in the Civs for years. Can someone please help me to get this mod to work for me?

Fall from Heaven 2 works just fine and that has nothing but custom content, so is it the mod itself or what?

Well with ranged units for Civ V (if you are making a mod for Civ V) You can have a sniper unit replace an infantry unit, but can fire twice as far.

quote: **Important - do not drop the WHOLE folder, only the 'Canada' folder within the 'Modules' directory

Does this mean I that once I unzip the downloaded BtS file and I get a folder named 'Canada'. That I DO NOT take this entire folder and drop it into the BtS mods folder?

If this is so then do I then take only the 'canada' folder in 'Canada/Assets/Modules/Custom Civilizations/Canada' and put THIS ONE into the BtS mods folder?

Please can someone give clearer instructions as I have wanted to play as Canada since Civs 1!

I finally got this mod to work for me. It seems it was the holding down shift that was getting me. I was holding it down too early in start up it seems.

Great mod. i will be enjoying it for a very long time.

Top Bottom