Can't believe Salt provides food

Well, you and I are both modders, why don't we get to work on it? ;)
I am really Interested but im currently busy in my President-Prime Minister-Admiral-General Aladeen MOD. Why don't you do it? you'll have my support :), And I'm might help you with few XML writing if I'm done with my MOD.

My Suggestion: Why not make a Thread on Creation and Customization about what resources and what bonus? There are lots of Great Brain Stormers there :D.

Depends on what you mean by "spice"
Meat? I'm not so sure, but I do know chili peppers were used to preserve vegetables (kimchi)

While I'd have to think a bit to decide if chiles are spices, this task is made easier by the fact that vegetables aren't meat ;)

And apparently you can use them to store all of your dead deer too. ;)

Welll you can spend more time time hunting if you're not having to plant food constantly due to it being preserved in a warehouse??? :confused:

Or maybe citrus could have that effect (as a deterrent of scurvy); maybe to simulate the trans-Saharan trade routes, salt can have some bonus for trade routes through desert?

Well, you and I are both modders, why don't we get to work on it? ;)

Do you guys remember Rise of Nations? Every resource had a (slight) special effect.

Now I have been playing since Civ 1, and I know the game isn't meant to simulate reality. "It's just a game." Et cetera.

But why would salt add to the food of a tile? Salt is a luxury that adds flavor, not calories. I'm pretty sure you can't live on salt.

Does this bug anyone else?

It doesn't bug me at all. Salt is a food. By making other food taste better it encourages people to eat more of it.

It bugs me that undeveloped luxuries provide tile bonuses at all. What do unexploited/unexploitable ore bodies do for the productivity of the land above them?

It doesn't bug me at all. Salt is a food. By making other food taste better it encourages people to eat more of it.

It bugs me that undeveloped luxuries provide tile bonuses at all. What do unexploited/unexploitable ore bodies do for the productivity of the land above them?

You can still find those goods out in the "wild" state. It's just not as fast/productive to do so. I can find coal in my back yard even though there's no mine.

To answer the OP, for roughly the same reason that Hospitals provide 5:c5food:: there isn't any other way to represent it in the game.

Well the food is likely a replacement for Health bonus because there's no health system in Civ 5 compared to civ 4, its quite likely they realized this while implementing salt and hospital. So they went with next best thing, food!

You can still find those goods out in the "wild" state. It's just not as fast/productive to do so. I can find coal in my back yard even though there's no mine.

True but what good does it do you? If you lived before people found out what coal was good for, would it still be as useful? Building a mine only fractionally enhances the returns of an ore body in civ5. Does building a coal mine make the coal only marginally more useful?

Coal is somewhat special because the production process does not chemically transform it. Do you find useable naturally occurring native iron in your garden?

I can find coal in my back yard even though there's no mine.

Could you please, please, PLEASE tell me how you can find coal in your own backyard? Because in all of my games of Civ V, both Vanilla and G&K, I think I've had coal in my own backyard exactly once.... :rolleyes::crazyeye:

True but what good does it do you? If you lived before people found out what coal was good for, would it still be as useful? Building a mine only fractionally enhances the returns of an ore body in civ5. Does building a coal mine make the coal only marginally more useful?

Coal is somewhat special because the production process does not chemically transform it. Do you find useable naturally occurring native iron in your garden?

actually the game shows iron after you are able to cast bronze, so its all OK. So do every other strategic resources.
The only weird stuff is copper. Which also not that luxurious imo.

I can't believe Salt provides such ridiculous tile yields so easily and early in the game. I keep hoping they'll patch it to move either 1 food or production to some later tech.
As it is, I have to restart any game I get a Salt start in, because it is pointless to play them.

Well, they actually buffed salt in the latest patch with a new pantheon so I don't think super powerful salt is going anywhere.

actually the game shows iron after you are able to cast bronze, so its all OK. So do every other strategic resources.

How does knowing how to cast bronze make lumps of iron oxide useful?

That's not remotely true. Iron is very complicated to forge compared to bronze.

Granted, you would still know the metal existed, but that doesn't mean you'd know its value or how to use it.

Don't get the confusion. Salt was HUGELY important pre the 20th century. Just because we live now doesn't mean that everything that is always was...if you know what I mean. Salt is powerful ingame - and it was powerful in real life. That's why for example Venice enforced a monopoly on salt production - because it was so profitable and so important. That's just one example.

How does knowing how to cast bronze make lumps of iron oxide useful?

It doesn't, the iron reveal was moved back to bronze working because having to go all the way to iron working just to know if swords are even an option was really dumb.

That's not remotely true. Iron is very complicated to forge compared to bronze.

That's true, but everyone seems to be missing my point. There are no huge bodies of iron in the Earth's crust (a few meteorites and small inclusions in basalt is all). There are bodies of hematite or magnetite etc. They require smelting in a blast furnace to make iron. Until you have that ability the ore is fairly useless. Yet in c5 you get 50% of the improved value just for knowing it's there.

Could you please, please, PLEASE tell me how you can find coal in your own backyard? Because in all of my games of Civ V, both Vanilla and G&K, I think I've had coal in my own backyard exactly once.... :rolleyes::crazyeye:

Ha, no sorry I mean my real life backyard. :D

Only point being that I could conceivable get a little bit of a bonus from it without necessarily building a mine. Gold miners can pan for gold, you can go find a few Oysters, etc., without a full-fledged improvement.

Top Bottom