Can't embark after getting Optics if units have not entered friendly territory

It happened to me also. Looking over the civiliopedia, it states you have to be in friendly territory to be able to embark. Now, this worked but I don't recall needing to be in friendly territory for embark to work with other civs or even once you embark the first time with aztec unit in friendly territory (since you would get stuck if you disembark in non-friendly island).

You don't have to embark from friendly territory, but old units have to enter friendly territory to get the automatic "promotion" that allows embarking. Not a bug.

You don't have to embark from friendly territory, but old units have to enter friendly territory to get the automatic "promotion" that allows embarking. Not a bug.

That sucks. Sounds like a bug to me. Everyone has to go home first to get the promotion? Week sauce.:scan:

That sucks. Sounds like a bug to me. Everyone has to go home first to get the promotion? Week sauce.:scan:

You can also purchase the promotion with XP as an upgrade, if you want.

But, since it's behaving exactly as documented, I don't see how you could possibly think it's a bug.

This isn't a bug. Units that are away from your territory don't automatically get the embark ability. You can get it as an upgrade once you get enough experience.

Holy **** this completely screwed me lol. Had a perfect backdoor entrance over a little bit water to the last capital for domination victory with Mongolia and none of my units could embark. Only a couple could. Definitely thought it was a bug. Went all the way around the continent to get there (about 25 turns), then had to fight through 4 cities to meet my flanked units. By the time I got close to being able to take the capital, the AI had advanced in technology. I had to move spies into/buy out all the surrounding city states as allies to keep me alive, and just kept gifting them units from my other cities. Anyone could've over ran my cities because of it, I totally sold out. I BARELY took the city by the skin of my teeth and pulled it off.

Could've saved about 2 1/2 hours if I would've just went back to get the upgrade I guess huh? LOL live n learn I guess. I do think that's kinda silly btw though. Why should you have to do that?

It's the same as with Upgrades. Seems reasonable to me. If a Scout was sent on an expedition, he would have no idea of technological developments in his homeland UNTIL he came back - where he could receive Promotions and possibilities for Upgrading.

It's the same as with Upgrades. Seems reasonable to me. If a Scout was sent on an expedition, he would have no idea of technological developments in his homeland UNTIL he came back - where he could receive Promotions and possibilities for Upgrading.

Not only technical development, I guess he also has to get the boat itself. And then carry it around for the Rest of his 800-year long life. :D

I'm all for gameplay over realism. I think all units should get the promotion when the appropriate technology has been researched. Oh well, that's just me I guess :)

I'm all for gameplay over realism. I think all units should get the promotion when the appropriate technology has been researched. Oh well, that's just me I guess :)

I don't understand how this is a gameplay vs realism thing. Even ignoring any realism argument, it's a valid design choice and perfectly acceptable gameplay to have to go back to pick up the promotion. It even offers an alternate choice: earn XP and pick it that way. It arguably provides better and more interesting "gameplay" than just getting the upgrade.

How do you feel about units recovering faster in your own territory? If you find it fair, then I don't see how "go back to your own territory to get embarking" wouldn't be.

Not only technical development, I guess he also has to get the boat itself. And then carry it around for the Rest of his 800-year long life. :D
No no, only the ABILITY to make vessels for seafaring :)

you can get the promotion in AI lands, that allow you open borders btw, no need to go back home ...

Or in friendly CS territory -- drop as much gold as you need to on a nearby CS and save yourself dozens of turns in travel time.

Also, @DeletedSettler, embarkation is not a promotion that can be earned with XP.

Or in friendly CS territory -- drop as much gold as you need to on a nearby CS and save yourself dozens of turns in travel time.

Also works if you have open borders with any other civ. They are considered "friendly" territory, so being inside their borders works as well.

Search the mods for ' Embark units at Sailing '

DESCRIPTION
Allows units to embark upon discovering sailing.

This mod will be particularly useful for people playing on TSL maps as civs such as the Celts, England and Indonesia, as well as many other island-bound civs to come.

Some very helpful responses guys. That's why I love this forum. It's a goldmine for noobies like me lol. Thank you.

Top Bottom