Can't liberate Venician ex-City States?

Scirocco16V

Warlord
Venice acquired a city state. I then conquered that city state from Venice with the intention of liberating it back to the original city state, but that wasn't an option. Is this a bug? Is this how it's intended to work? If it's intentional, I don't like it and think it should be changed.

The same thing happens with Austrian CS captured through diplomatic marriage.

In software lingo it is called a feature rather than a bug. The designers intended to work like that, even if the users of the software think the behavior is erroneous.

Venice acquired a city state. I then conquered that city state from Venice with the intention of liberating it back to the original city state, but that wasn't an option. Is this a bug? Is this how it's intended to work? If it's intentional, I don't like it and think it should be changed.

Although I haven't tested it, I suspect that if the CS had been taken by force instead of "bribery", you could likely liberate it. The clue would probably be that the CS icon still shows in the the name banner....

And I kind of think it's a nice feature...playing as Venice you can use a GM to grab control of one of those annoying 200+ influence point CS's that the AI seem to have no trouble generating as well as thier huge armies and one-turn wonder grabs.... ;)

In software lingo it is called a feature rather than a bug. The designers intended to work like that, even if the users of the software think the behavior is erroneous.

Now the question is why it works like that?

It is pretty anoying from gameplay perspective.

Maybe to make possible for someone to liberate Venice cities back to them, if conquered by third party?

The loss of "City State" status by CSs that have been married or bought by Austira or Venice also means those cities can be razed by a subsequent conqueror.

Maybe to make possible for someone to liberate Venice cities back to them, if conquered by third party?

I think it's rather to give Venice the chance to reconquer a lost puppeted city by force. If a Venetian puppet city reverted to CS status, Venice would need a MoV to get it back. It would be exploitable if the minute Venice acquired a colony you could reconquer it, and the only options for Venice to get it back would be to conquer the CS by force and thus suffer a Major warmongering penalty or else wait forever until it produces another MoV to buy it again. It might be hard for Venice to keep any puppet for long, nerfing a lot the MoV.

The MoV aren't "conquering" CS and they don't need nor want to be liberated. They stopped wanting to go on as independent CS and accepted through a treaty to join the Venetian Empire "willingly" (not that in truth they have any choice in the game, but the fiction is they accept the offered price for Venetian prosperity and protection), and CS in the game certainly prosper much better under Venetian rule ;)

Flavor wise this is meant to reflect the relative happiness of former city-states that joined or fell under Venetian rule. They had relative autonomy, with a political system modeled on Venice's own (even though real power most often rested in the hands of the Venitian officials) and no longer suffered from leaving under an Autocrat. Its ruling class often gained Venetian citizenship and often could enter its patriarchate. Whenever conquered (or exchanged in peace treaties), many cities through history revolted to attempt to return to Venetian rule. This also reflects the fact that no City-State that got integrated into the Venetian system returned later to independence (Venice's losses got absorbed, generally by conquest, into other Kingdoms or Empires).

Top Bottom