Carabim Advice

Heart of Lords

Chieftain
I notice that my Calabim runs usually only last a few turns before I'm overtaken by other civs. Also, due to the quite lacking military system, I'm always at odds with those goblin forts and such, as they absolutely decimate through entire stacks of my soldiers, which barely amount to barbarian units.
As it's difficult to play them in general, does anyone have any advice on how to get through them?

Any easy way to get vampires, or are blood witches the only units that are "worth it"?

Last edited:
The Local Legend is a vampire, generally what I do is keep him safe and grind Morois until they can accept the Gift at which point they're relegated to permanent guard duty. That's a short-term strategy though, it's only good for defense. When you do start getting a supply of Childe vampires you get more options. Or not. The Court-limited leaders are kinda stuck in one ideal path.

Basically, use White Court vamps to subvert the raiding barbarians and eventually send a horde of your own to crush all the camps blocking your expansion. Domination isn't limited by the unit cap, so it's an easy way to get a Doomstack of 40 or more when any other player would find themselves restricted to maybe 20 if they're skilled. Then once you've undoubtly lost over half of your orcs, you'll have room to send out another city and start the grind all over again.

Black Court is much the same except raising your slaughtered foes rather than being supernaturally pretty, you just need to risk a "general" vampire to get much use out of grunts like Skeletons. Additionally, the General can also empower other more traditional Undead like Spectres, Drowned, and Diseased Corpses, so there's a bit more wiggle room to make up for needing to protect a key figure during and after the assault.

Red Court is the most difficult and the most fun IMO. The promotion chain encourages you to play fast and loose with their combat odds and doesn't give you a minion-making function to wear a target down for them. I mean, there's still the Necromantic Rite unlocked in the Death Magic tree and such, but you'll still be much more dependent on using Bloodpet/Morroi support tactics than the other two Courts are.

Thanks for the info, great stuff! Which court do you recommend? I've been maining Elena because her stats tend to buy time, and makes other civs friendly long enough to avoid war. I also use adepts and attempt to make hordes of skeletons as I fight, that usually works when facing those barbarians.

So no matter what I do, I'm still dependent on hordes of Moroi?

The easiest to play is White, barring something like Archeron showing up nextdoor it always plays out the same way and your Doomstack doesn't need to be anything more than a bunch of expendables to function, plus you can adjust your alignment as diplomacy demands without sacrificing efficiency, it's also handy later for collecting the UUs of your neighbors. Black can also be predictable like that, particularly once you've progressed far enough not to depend on the Local Legend, but it can also lead to less security if you've chosen to augment your military with religious undead as a game full of Good leaders will always take exception to the double penalty of "you're evil" and "you're a heathen".

And yeah, Moroi are an inevitability. At least as city garrisons.

EDIT: Another thing to remember is that Calabim farms produce stone and lumber, so you can easily outfit your better minions with staves and lances to keep them alive longer.

Last edited:
Interesting observation!

Do you guys think it is necessary to add a special spell which turn a vampirised Moroi into a full-fledged Vampire (with Childe promotion thus able to access Court promotions)? The spell will require high mana cost (300-ish) to prevent spamming them.

That would be wonderful!

Perhaps a lore option could be enabled as well? (Purely a fan/geek suggestion, and I don't mean to be rude) The Calabim are aristocratic lords over mortal populations, what if the Manor House spawns them over time as well? Simply a suggestion, anything to make progression easier. I just love the whole Vampire: The Masquerade aesthetic used.

Last edited:
That would be wonderful!

Perhaps a lore option could be enabled as well? (Purely a fan/geek suggestion, and I don't mean to be rude) The Carabim are aristocratic lords over mortal populations, what if the Manor House spawns them over time as well? Simply a suggestion, anything to make progression easier. I just love the whole Vampire: The Masquerade aesthetic used.

If I'd take the "lore" explanation, maybe building a Manor will spawn a Vampire. That's a good idea, actually.

Top Bottom