Carthage

I'm confused? This article isn't talking about the Carthaginian harbor:
. It was originally believed that the feature was a “Kothon” — an artificial harbor — as it bore similarities to one known from the ancient military port of nearby Carthage, but reanalysis has revealed this assumption to be incorrect.
This is a different water feature that they thought that was an artificial harbour because it was similar to the known artificial harbour in Carthage.

Or are you talking about something else?

I'm confused? This article isn't talking about the Carthaginian harbor:
This is a different water feature that they thought that was an artificial harbour because it was similar to the known artificial harbour in Carthage.

Or are you talking about something else?

I think it was more this part that could be interpreted as meaning that Cothons weren't artificial habors in general.
“Kothon” was a harbor but new excavations have drastically changed its interpretation: It was a sacred pool at the center of a huge religious compound,’ said Professor Lorenzo Nigro.
One problem is that we aren't 100% sure if the "Kothon" word used is meant to qualify the archeological site (like a sort of toponym), or as a general qualifier for all similar sites.

Nonetheless, it is an interesting article. Thanks. :)

I think it was more this part that could be interpreted as meaning that Cothons weren't artificial habors in general.

One problem is that we aren't 100% sure if the "Kothon" word used is meant to qualify the archeological site (like a sort of toponym), or as a general qualifier for all similar sites.

Nonetheless, it is an interesting article. Thanks. :)

Yes its a bit uncertain if Kothon were harbours, I guess the Phoenician legacy got erased thoroughly by the Romans.
On a side note, I didnt even know they had positions on Sicily.
And .. you're welcome.

I interpreted it as more just "hey look, Carthage is in the news". I don't interpret this as casting any doubt onto the function or existence of the famed Cothon of Carthage, which was well-attested by contemporary sources and archeological evidence, just that they thought that a basin in Motya was also a cothon, but turned out to be something else.
On a side note, I didnt even know they had positions on Sicily.
Yes, that's basically how the First Punic War got started: As a fight between Rome and Carthage over Sicily. Both had colonies on Sicily, but wanted to control the entire island.

Last edited:
Top Bottom